Sapphires - Teal, Peacock, Montana?

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
More (for laughs):

4.98 EC (darker) www
2.7 Oval (indigo rarity) www
5.22 Cushion (most like your first picture - to me) www

[all come from this page WWW ]

Not sure I have seen anything nicer lately, but, I have not been looking ...

The last two are great. Love the 2.7 - quite nice.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Valeria 101,

The 2.7 and the 5.2 are quite nice - thank you.

I just read silk-sapphire's story of how she found her sapphire through Richard Hughes at a Hong-Kong show. That sounds like quite the adventure.
It is indeed one of the most beautiful sapphires I have seen.

The online hunt is a pain though - because in the end, no matter how much you stare at a screen and how many stats you try to get - you just don;t know until you see.

I have also read that it is best to get a stone with a gemological report. I wonder how many of these stones I have been looking at come with one.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wonder what Richard Hughes might make of a request for this colurs we are talking about ! Green / -ish sapphire did not make it on his chart WWW (which I am swearing by).

I have also read that it is best to get a stone with a gemological report. I wonder how many of these stones I have been looking at come with one.

Guess: not many. However, just about any seller will get one if you ask. I imagine that if most buyers asked for them, the paperwork would be offered by default; much that I know, this is not yet the case ... [on he other hand: one can have a gemmological identification report issued for a broken nail, so to speak ... ]

2c

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen teal Aussie sapphires before.

Contact Doug from Bespoke Gems or try these guys - https://www.coolamonsapphires.com/
They don't have an online store but just email them as they have lots of terrific stock.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock

I wonder what Richard Hughes might make of a request for this colurs we are talking about ! Green / -ish sapphire did not make it on his chart WWW (which I am swearing by).

Guess: not many. However, just about any seller will get one if you ask. I imagine that if most buyers asked for them, the paperwork would be offered by default; much that I know, this is not yet the case ... [on he other hand: one can have a gemmological identification report issued for a broken nail, so to speak ... ]

2c

Oh, that's a handy-dandy nice chart - thank you :).

Now...I am aware the color I am looking for is NOT considered a top-notch color for a sapphire.
After all, as some people mentioned here, many of these teal sapphires can lean towards grayish, can change color, can be too dark and gloomy or too green - and therefore be taken for all sorts of other stones, all of which have lower "pedigree/rank" than the sapphire stone.
And I suppose many people who are willing to pay a "sapphire price" would not appreciate people thinking they are wearing a tourmaline or some other "semi-precious" thing.
So I am not surprised there's no place for one like this in Richard Hughes' chart.

That being said, I am not looking for a stone as a collector or a purist.
I just love that color because think it would look even better with my difficult skin tone and the clothes I wear than the sharp cobalt color.
If that means a little extra friendliness on the budget - bonus points.
After all, I must be one of the most pitiful cases of consistent champagne taste (I've been told) on a beer budget (but they don't have to know). Well... story of my life. :lol:

Then again - if the othher conditons are not met (decent size, excellent cut etc) I am not stuck on teal.
After all, color happens on an infinite continuum of nuances.

In Richard Hughes' chart - whatever he calls "peacock", I call "cobalt blue".
Anything peacock should be a tad greenish too - which his is not.

The velvet is nice but in my experience, those won't sparkle due to the silkiness.
His Royal is still cobalt to my eyes.
The Indigo is lovely (would like!) but there's risk of too much darkness.
And the "Twilight" ...well...those usually end up in "flat black land".

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I am also thinking about this sapphire.

https://mastercutgems.com/Products-...-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=34319

I saw a video (apparently taken in full sun) and it is sparkly, so the cut is promising. This was a re-cut from a 4.99 ct stone. I also love the "modified oval" shape which for some may be undesirable - but I like its elongating effect.

Yet at this size and price, I am afraid there's a serious catch. There appear to be some significant inclusions in there and color zoning as well (which is not that big of a deal to me).

But again, I am going to have to get in it to see.
This "inspection ordering" thing with many question marks and high possibility of return - is not fun at all to me.

Any opinion on this one would be greatly appreciated.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Always thought that green & greenish sapphire didn't make the chart because saturated ones are simply too rare ... & the other stuff, who knows, perhaps he would comment about 'Green' as he has about 'Gray' ! WWW (case of beer taste on champagne budget*)
__
* attempted humour

I see what you see in the Mastercut stone. The cut is certainly less boring than the 2.74 's ... The colour and cut alone add up to allot. I never expect to see as much zoning as cameras do (& if some exists it might flicker into the contrast pattern - somethig I rather like). Clarity .. I am not sure what am I seeing: something or other going on over the crown at SSW position, and ... is there a feather going half-way through under the table ? (perhaps not - I am not sure & would ask).

2c

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock

Always thought that green & greenish sapphire didn't make the chart because saturated ones are simply too rare ... & the other stuff, who knows, perhaps he would comment about 'Green' as he has about 'Gray' ! WWW (case of beer taste on champagne budget*)
__
* attempted humour

I see what you see in the Mastercut stone. The cut is certainly less boring than the 2.74 's ... The color and cut alone add up to allot. I never expect to see as much zoning as cameras do (& if some exists it might flicker into the contrast pattern - somethig I rather like). Clarity .. I am not sure what am I seeing: something or other going on over the crown at SSW position, and ... is there a feather going half-way through under the table ? (perhaps not - I am not sure & would ask).

2c

Thank you, Valeria - I really appreciate your insights and help.
Yes, there are some significant inclusions in this one - which is the point where you have to order in to see what you can and cannot live with.
Color and cut are nice, zoning doesn't bother me. In fact, I kind of agree with your remark on contrast, I think it signals "I am natural".
The inclusions are the possible "deal breakers" here because invisible to the eye - they aren't. I think I see a feather too.
But then again - in deeper blue sapphires, inclusions CAN be tolerable.

Since I am such a sucker for sparkly cut and color - AND on a budget, I might need to check this one out f2f.

Thank you again!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Well...I ordered in the one from mastercutgems - we will see how lucky I get.

At this price with the color+sparkly cut I have seen in the video - I must be either too lucky or there's a catch that will only reveal itself IRL.

If it works, I will SO be in need of suggestions for a nice setting that, despite a fine, thin halo, still DOESN'T look like it's trying to be the 1 brazzilionth copy of the Di/Kate ring.

Last edited:

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to post an update about the sapphire above.

Unfortunately, it did not work out because, as I expected - the inclusion was indeed too visible and I decided it was not something I could live with. This was clearly disclosed by Dana from the beginning, but I wanted to see if I could make it work.

However, I was SO impressed with Dana's cut!

He clearly knows his craft. He took some significantly-less-than-ideal sapphire material and turned it into a little colored sparkly diamond. I have never seen a sapphire sparkling quite like this.
When I got it in I still had my Christmas tree lit up and it was mesmerizing to see it sparkling next to those Christmas lights.

The color did shift quite a bit in low light, turning an indigo-gray - but another main problem was related strictly to my personal issue - size. :mrgreen2:
It was a bit disconcerting to realize that a 2.5 sapphire (9.2 x 7.2) looked so small on my hands. :(

I really do hope that those who argue gemstones look larger when set are right...because based on what I have seen so far, my ideal sapphire would be somewhere in the 4-5 carat range, if budget was no issue. But budget IS an issue.

All in all, Dana and Rachelle were so professional, trustworthy and gracious - I felt so comfortable communicating with them.
Their customer service is so great that I am even hesitant to use such an impersonal and dry term ("customer service"). You can just tell they are very reliable people you can trust 100%.

Now I will keep looking on their site to find something for a few other projects I've had in mind for a while.

I will post some pictures on the vendor/owner pictures thread.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a shame. I’m sure the right one will come along.
And yes, sapphire is a “heavy” gem so you get less “size” for your carat weight. Also, they are cut to get the right colour display so you can get quite deep stones that have “carat weight” but not as much “face size”. My little golden sapphire is a good example, it’s deeper than it is wide. Creates a lovely colour, but looking down on the stone it’s quite small. 52DC3688-7DA4-4D49-A085-E265F800A9A0.jpeg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
However, I was SO impressed with Dana's cut!...

All in all, Dana and Rachelle were so professional, trustworthy and gracious - I felt so comfortable communicating with them.
Their customer service is so great that I am even hesitant to use such an impersonal and dry term ("customer service"). You can just tell they are very reliable people you can trust 100%.

Now I will keep looking on their site to find something for a few other projects I've had in mind for a while.

I will post some pictures on the vendor/owner pictures thread.

So glad you ordered this and had a look at it. Now you have a better idea of how YOUR desired color will look in Dana's photos. Are you open to owning several nice sapphire rings before you find "the one?" If so then the hunt is less stressful and more fun.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
So glad you ordered this and had a look at it. Now you have a better idea of how YOUR desired color will look in Dana's photos. Are you open to owning several nice sapphire rings before you find "the one?" If so then the hunt is less stressful and more fun.

Stone Hunter,

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is an emphatic "No".
I am one of those people who have to go by "I am too poor to buy inexpensive stuff". :cry2:
I'd rather have one noticeably high-quality ring than many ...well..."less so".

I love signature looks and don't need to change often. What I usually secretly resent is being told "you can't afford something THAT expensive". :angryfire:
I'd rather save for years/decades for one high-end thing than purchase what is within my reach over a more immediate time frame. I have been saving for this ring for close to two decades now - so it must be as nice as it can be.

This becomes an "all eggs in one basket" type of situation...but I don't want to overpay either.
It's not that I am looking for any kind of "free lunch", but simply the best value for my money
but without significant compromises in quality (considering the money were hard earned).

Talk about stressful.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Try Nigerian Taraba sapphires, they can be a nice blue-green teal color. This is one that was previously posted on PS https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-jeff-white-teal-sapphire-ring.215204/

mochiko,

I started this thread thinking I wanted "teal" but after more research and real life viewing, I think I am veering back to the classic ceylon/kashmir/cornflower blue.

Based on what I have learned, the teal sapphires shift to an ashy gray in low light.

I'd much rather have the sapphire shift to a flat deep blue/navy - considering pretty much all will do some level of color shifting in low light.
I am sure there are the rare ones that stay a bright, smouldering blue even in low light but those probably command insane prices.

I think I should probably start a clear sapphire stone search thread with clear specifications - maybe I can get more vendor recommendations.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter,

I am one of those people who have to go by "I am too poor to buy inexpensive stuff". :cry2:

I love signature looks and don't need to change often. What I usually secretly resent is being told "you can't afford something THAT expensive". :angryfire:
I'd rather save for years/decades for one high-end thing than purchase what is within my reach over a more immediate time frame. I have been saving for this ring for close to two decades now - so it must be as nice as it can be.

This becomes an "all eggs in one basket" type of situation...but I don't want to overpay either.
It's not that I am looking for any kind of "free lunch", but simply the best value for my money
but without significant compromises in quality (considering the money were hard earned).

Talk about stressful.

In this case I hope you find something you really love. I would be careful though about building it up to the point where it represents or emboddies something which it is not. Pegging years of hopes on something and having a modus operandi of sacrificing all else for that one thing, can make it really hard for the reality to ever meet your expectations.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
In this case I hope you find something you really love. I would be careful though about building it up to the point where it represents or emboddies something which it is not. Pegging years of hopes on something and having a modus operandi of sacrificing all else for that one thing, can make it really hard for the reality to ever meet your expectations.

That's true. Just trying to keep it real and within perspective.

Over a decade ago I didn't feel like it was wise for us to buy an engagement ring - at least not where my expectations were. In general, I have a hard time compromising - I am an all or nothing type. :(

Today, it's a bit easier to get something I think would make me happy (enough). :)

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sapphiredream, you seem to me to be someone who has looked at a lot of gemstones online, and you know what you like and don’t like. If you could I think you’d enjoy going to a Gem show or a great museum like the Smithsonian where you can look at a lot of gems and how they look by your hand. But don’t plan to buy that way (too stressful), just use it as research.

I think you are going to know when you find your signature stone. At least, you’ll know what’s Not It, until that fine day. :razz:

I wish I could be more like you, lol. I got bit by the bug here, and now I have a rainbow of rings that I didn’t overspend on. I enjoy switching them up. The advice here is wonderful, no matter what your goal is!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jbows, That is so pretty! That’s my favorite sapphire blue. <3

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
B97863EB-3FE4-402D-AB13-5818D6BE5713.jpeg 370AD244-E2B7-4D9D-8583-3F3B1851E1B0.jpeg
Jbows, That is so pretty! That’s my favorite sapphire blue. <3
Mine too!!! And in my opinion, it will likely look like the picture simply because my pretty looks just as good (better, imo) than the vendor photos.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
F7404F8B-FCF4-44BC-91A7-4B064536297E.jpeg Just spitballing, what do you think of the color of this one? I’m in love with it and it is $3000 which is why I don’t own it. :lol-2: But if you can comment on your color preference I can keep an eye out during my semi weekly looking/drooling sessions. @sapphiredream
http://rogerdery.com/gems/blue-sapphire-signature-round-1712016/

Thank you so much, JBows - that is so kind of you.

I love the rogerdery sapphire, the color is close to what I am looking for - but alas, I don't want round and it would probably be a little on the small side for my hands.
I am thinking somewhere between 2.5-3.5 cts.

I will open a separate sapphire search thread, as I have been advised - with all the specifications; because indeed, after a few good weeks spent here, I think I am starting to get the hang of what I am looking for.

The color is a medium blue kashmir/ceylon/cornflower that doesn't turn dark indigo-gray in low light, but retains some level of vibrant, distinctive blue; at the very least, navy blue in low light.

Somewhere between Seaglow's sapphire:

Good Sapphire stone.jpeg

and this dark at the most:

Grogeous sapphire color from Precision Gem.JPG

No purple/indigo/violet as they tend to turn gray rather than navy in low light.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Sapphiredream, you seem to me to be someone who has looked at a lot of gemstones online, and you know what you like and don’t like. If you could I think you’d enjoy going to a Gem show or a great museum like the Smithsonian where you can look at a lot of gems and how they look by your hand. But don’t plan to buy that way (too stressful), just use it as research.

I think you are going to know when you find your signature stone. At least, you’ll know what’s Not It, until that fine day. :razz:

I wish I could be more like you, lol. I got bit by the bug here, and now I have a rainbow of rings that I didn’t overspend on. I enjoy switching them up. The advice here is wonderful, no matter what your goal is!

Missy,

Yes, I am getting the hang of it, after two months or so of research and I surely could not have done it without this excellent site!

Regarding self-discipline to build towards one big goal - that's a really tough one, I know.

In fact, I was on this forum years ago when I thought we were going to get a diamond engagement ring. By the time I got all the information down, I realized it was going to be a bit irresponsible at that time to get what I really wanted. We were younger, early careers, etc.
And I wanted a diamond ring, large enough, perfect cut, hefty setting - go figure.
So I just stepped away and only returned after about a decade and a half.
In the meantime, I figured out that I want a sapphire, not a diamond.

Now I am very tempted every step of the way to get something a bit less daunting in price.
I have seen quite a few not so pricey "maybes/why nots" out there; but I am trying to keep it together so I can maximize the quality of the ring I will hopefully end up with.

I do hope I am not going to do what I did with the diamond - build up until I decide it won't be anything at all :mrgreen2:.

This is just my personal philosophy but I know many people prefer the variety that can come with several, less expensive options and the more immediate time-frame for affording the purchase.

I just often think that unless means are substantial, variety can cause many people to NEVER be able to afford anything remarkable (because, at least in my experience, the market is ruthless and always speaks). And somewhere, deep down, I resent being coaxed with "lesser-than" options just because I am not someone who can quickly consider spectacular items without even needing to ask the price.

I know that anyone who must spend their 100% non-renewable resource every day on a 9-5-er (or longer), whether they like it or not, is working hard and heavy for their money.
So I expect that the time, skill and energy I put into my direct contribution to society will receive the respect it deserves in the form of high quality/beautiful merchandise - even if that means very low quantity (as in one).

At least once a year, around Christmas, I contemplate what amazingly high-quality items that hold their value over time we could have purchased, had we had all the cash spent on all sorts of Christmas presents over the years into one pot. A fortune.
Toys, stuff from extended family, what not - things that ultimately amount to trinkets destined for the landfill.
On my part, I am the mind "save a planet, wait for a luxury item, cultivate deferred gratification". .
The rest of my family - not so much.
I could do it - but I know I could never get them or my in-laws on board with anything close to THIS crazy plan! :mrgreen2:

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, JBows - that is so kind of you.

I love the rogerdery sapphire, the color is close to what I am looking for - but alas, I don't want round and it would probably be a little on the small side for my hands.
I am thinking somewhere between 2.5-3.5 cts.

I will open a separate sapphire search thread, as I have been advised - with all the specifications; because indeed, after a few good weeks spent here, I think I am starting to get the hang of what I am looking for.

The color is a medium blue kashmir/ceylon/cornflower that doesn't turn dark indigo-gray in low light, but retains some level of vibrant, distinctive blue; at the very least, navy blue in low light.

Somewhere between Seaglow's sapphire:

Good Sapphire stone.jpeg

and this dark at the most:

Grogeous sapphire color from Precision Gem.JPG

No purple/indigo/violet as they tend to turn gray rather than navy in low light.
Don’t we all wish we could have Seaglow’s sapphire??? :lol:
I’m sure you’ll find the perfect sparkly!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Don’t we all wish we could have Seaglow’s sapphire??? :lol:
I’m sure you’ll find the perfect sparkly!

Yes, we do! :lol:

If not the size, at least the color.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter,

Talk about stressful.

Okay that's a personality thing and a very valid choice. At least you now know what Dana's photos look like on your monitor AND in real life. Getting it right may be a bit stressful but PSers will be as helpful as possible. So many have ordered from PS vendors and are familiar with their photos.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might also think about where the sapphires you tend to like come from. I have discovered that I really like Sapphires from Ceylon. It's just something I noticed from looking at sapphires in person and online. This might help you focus your search a bit.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I have seen enough in person, close up, with origin specifications to be able to form an opinion in this sense. It's kind of hard to see enough sapphires, generally speaking. This is why I think going to a show will help.
Most people wear diamonds for their engagement/wedding rings - so I can't even go to people and ask them to let me look at their ring and maybe tell me a thing or two about the stone's origins.

My mom has a sapphire wedding ring - but hers is a cabochon, it is navy, and goes back all the way to early 1900's - so who knows what its origins are. My father had it from my grandmother.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I have seen enough in person, close up, with origin specifications to be able to form an opinion in this sense. It's kind of hard to see enough sapphires, generally speaking. This is why I think going to a show will help.
Most people wear diamonds for their engagement/wedding rings - so I can't even go to people and ask them to let me look at their ring and maybe tell me a thing or two about the stone's origins.

My mom has a sapphire wedding ring - but hers is a cabochon, it is navy, and goes back all the way to early 1900's - so who knows what its origins are. My father had it from my grandmother.

Yes I think going to a show will help you. Take a notebook with you and write down the vendor you talk to and how they describe the stone you like. Then when you order online you'll know what terms to look for in their shop. Each vendor will describe things slightly differently. So for example if you love a color that they call "burnt teal" then order that color from their site later on. HTH

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The Tuscon show is coming up. The last week in January and first week in February and in one weekend you will see enough sapphires to boggle your mind. It's not too late to grab a flight. I just booked one this morning...I'm so excited! If you come we can do a meetup and walk around with our geeky notebooks. I'm not sure if there will be a PS get together, but if there is we can go as well. Think about it.:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results