shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires - Teal, Peacock, Montana?

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
In my quest for the perfect sapphire stone (within budget), I learned that it will have to have that "teal" color - not the classic cobalt, cornflower or deep navy.

I am absolutely in love with this color in sapphires and was wondering if Montana sapphires are the only ones that offer this teal blue color. Or are there other teal-colored sapphires that are NOT Montana?
I have seen them referred to as Montana, teal, peacock, blue/green...but I wonder whether they are all the same.

I have some pitiful glass earrings in this color - and I took one and stuck it in my setting (which is now stone-less) just to get an idea of how my ring could look like with a teal sapphire.
Teal sapphire.jpg

I am drooling over this color!
Now how do I find a sapphire in this vein?

If anyone could recommend several good sources for a sparkly sapphire in teal, I would greatly appreciate it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh nice

What do you mean by sparkly though? My Australian sapphire is very lively but I wouldn't say it was sparkly especially if you compare it to diamonds?

Check out Bespoke Gems. Doug has some nice teal ones although his pictures look terrible most of the time. I bought a budget, darker stone from him and I love it so much. Soooooo lively. Easily one of my favourite stones. I'd imagine the less dark ones that cost more would look even better.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you see green in the 2.94 ?

WWW - this is teal to me. They call it green. Then again, WWW (see the note on what is called Ceylon 'green', nshgm-16a-01 looks like Levi's blue)

Last edited:

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Mellowyellowgirl,

Yeah...that's a really nice color - but the question remains: can such a color even be found in a natural sapphire? After all, what I have in this picture is a fake glass stone! But if a sapphire like this actually existed, it would be dynamite!

It's a bit disheartening to hear that anything teal is not very saturated. I wouldn't want anything grayish or washed out. :(

By sparkly I mean...some flashes of light. I am aware it cannot be as much as a diamond gives out, but I have definitely seen very well cut sapphires that are brilliant/sparkle.
Do not like the flat ones.

I will check Doug again.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The colour I see in your ring, I am expecting from tourmaline more than from sapphire.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem with Montana sapphires is a color shift. They can be very grey in certain lighting, so I would ask for photos in various light sources, sunlight and artificial, to evaluate. For some people, the color shift is unattractive.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go for an aussie stone be sure to ask about how dark they are. Jamie at genuine aussie will tell you what he sees in a stone, which was accurate. Same for Doug, although I have never bought from him, he will describe his stones if you ask. Nigeria also has some nice blue green material. And Lisa Elser has some peacock rounds that she cut from sri lankan rough, so teal can be found in many locations. Good luck on your search, please post many pictures once you find your keeper; it is my favourite colour! :D

Edit: sorry alene, I basically parroted what you succinctly said with links to Ceylon and madagascan stones...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Something WWW

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is tourmaline not under consideration since teal is easy to find and also very budget friendly?

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions - I really appreciate them all!

valeria101,

I think the 2.94ct in the link above DOES have a bit of teal/green in it but only a smidge, which is what I like. The vendor is also referring to it as blue-green sapphire tough it's clearly much more blue than green.
Thank you also for your recent link - unfortunately, that's out of my budget though clearly a pretty stone.

Bron 367,
Those are lovely stones - and I am thinking of something like the one in the middle, maybe a bit closer to blue. I only like a "suggestion" of green in it, enough to tilt it towards the "teal" color, but not so much that the sapphire actually looks green. The one to the right would be too green and the one to the left seems like the classic cobalt blue sapphire to me. Very nice - but not quite in the "teal" area.

Nosean,

Thank you for the link. I will explore the site. I had only visited Doug' Bespoke Gems site from Australia and while he has beautiful cuts (and is SO nice and friendly!), I have not seen a sapphire that caught my attention among his inventory.

TL,
I have noticed that problem with the Montanta sapphire - many in fact can be very underwhelming in color - rather gray, pale and under-saturated. This is why I asked whether vibrant teal can also come from sapphires from other parts of the world, not just Montana.
I realized that unless you are a woman with a very light, English-type complexion and grayish steel-blue eyes - it's hard to pull off one of those.

On me - those would be a gigantic waste of "colored" gemstone.
I am Eastern European and often, people here in the US ask me where I am from. A few times I asked people back "where do you think I am from?", and they invariably give me a Middle Eastern country. Lebanon, Iran, Turkey, Jordan.

So I began to study Middle-Eastern ladies closer ... but all in all, it took me over a decade to figure out that with dark-brown eyes and medium olive complexion with bluish-green-ish undertones (aka "sallow" - oh, the joy), any color that is not very vibrant, deep-rich and saturated is a complete "blah fest" on such people, including me.
Never mind I spent my prime years trying to pull off "pastels" and "beiges" - what a waste of youth, ha, ha. =)2

StoneHunter,
I am not sure about Bron357 - she seems to have a doggie in her profile, not a gemstone. :)
But thank you for directing me to the Earth's Treasury site, I didn't know about them.
The 1.15 ct is just about right. Peacock color - but larger (2-3 carats).
The 2ct+ is a a bit too light/bright and too much on the green side. I wouldn't want the sapphire to look like an aquamarine or tourmaline. I still want the deep blue, but only with a tint of green.

Alene.
The ones you posted from finewatergems are also just about there but yes, the first one is way over budget. As in "WAY". :)
I am hoping to get away with something between 1500-3000 max for a 2-3 carat.

TL,
I am definitely looking at all sapphires as I think Montanas and Aussies can be a bit too non-colory/grayish for me. I think there are people who can pull off that sophisticated gray tint very well but they must have the right complection and eyes to go with it. On everyone else they will look "meh".

Chrono,

All tourmalines I have seen are too light and bright - and too green. I still need that deeper color to come from a sapphire.
But if there is a tormaline with just the right color, I would not discount it, especially that they are friendlier to the budget. The hardness might be an issue though.

I will definitely post pictures if I get something in! East peasy - the hard part is "getting something in". :)

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Then there is the issue of cut.

I am aware many people buy colored stones for the color itself, not for the "cut that gives sparkle" (precision) but I still love my colored stones to put out as much brilliance as their natural refractive index is capable of.
I would even say the cut is more important than the color for me - barring of course any color that is considered "undesirable" in sapphires, like too pale/watery or too dark and flat.

A few days ago I saw two very sparkly sapphires at a higher-end store and I took a picture of them. The photo vdoesn't do justice to the sparkle. They were more brilliant than most diamonds I have seen, especially the one to the left. They didn't have the teal color (just classic cobalt blue) but they were amazing.
Also out of budget.

JA sapphires.jpg

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Also, any overall opinion about the first stone I posted? (below again)

I am still learning, but it seems like a very good price to me.
Am I missing something? Why do you think the vendor says it is priced "wholesale"?
Is it just "marketing" and this is not a wholesale price or this is, in fact, a good price and if yes, why?
After all, nobody sells "wholesale" something for which many people are willing to pay market price.

In other words, "what's the catch"?

https://shop.pristinegemstonejewelr...ire-dark-blue-oval-shape-2-94-cts-for-pendant

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One problem with buying unset gems on line is how they look different after setting (reduces light return) on your hand in normal everyday conditions. Rings in Jewellery stores look far more fabulous there than in “real life” because jewelery shops spend thousands on special lighting.
The photos I took of mine (iPhone) aren’t the same colours as I’m seeing with my eyes! Sapphires I think are particularly hard to “price” as you have many variables ie colour (and shades go in and out of fashion) clarity, treatments and origin. The stone you like from Pristine is lovely, but I don’t think it will be very sparkly. Sapphires have “silk” and that can be very obvious ie Star sapphires or subtle. That silk will take away that “sparkle” you really like. And lighter tone gems will seem to sparkle more. Make sure you buy from a seller who has a “no trouble return if you don’t like it”.
You might have to search for a while to find that “right sapphire” so just keep looking.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You are asking good questions about the first gemstone. For me, that is not a wholesale price and the info is too sparse---what does 'some minor inclusions' mean? Eye clean? What inclusions and where are they? I'm guessing this is a wholesale price when compared to the blue standard for sapphires--not necessarily for this color sapphire. BUT, if this gem is of interest you may want to order it and see it in person............
To zip in a different direction-and I do not know this vendor---this gemstone is very affordable, but the reason I put it up is that it seems to match your color preference. Not sure how you feel about a trillion, but you can do some unique things with them............ I'm not sure if the petrol remark is refers to an oil sheen that casts colors.....like the blue, green, and violet? To me it's intriguing on the darker sapphire side..............
https://www.richlandgemstones.com/product/sapphire-15/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In other words, "what's the catch"?

Perhaps no catch.

Among sapphires, this is an interesting iece, somewhat aside classical norms & the price acknowledges ... Obviously, BLUE is expected of sapphire not teal - what anyone would pay for the many unexpected colours of sapphire is somewhat of an open question.

The sapphire is not astonishingly cheap.

The question is, will you like it when you see it !

Just a thought

_
@Bron357 's step cut really is an unusual colour ...

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
You are asking good questions about the first gemstone. For me, that is not a wholesale price and the info is too sparse---what does 'some minor inclusions' mean? Eye clean? What inclusions and where are they? I'm guessing this is a wholesale price when compared to the blue standard for sapphires--not necessarily for this color sapphire. BUT, if this gem is of interest you may want to order it and see it in person............
To zip in a different direction-and I do not know this vendor---this gemstone is very affordable, but the reason I put it up is that it seems to match your color preference. Not sure how you feel about a trillion, but you can do some unique things with them............ I'm not sure if the petrol remark is refers to an oil sheen that casts colors.....like the blue, green, and violet? To me it's intriguing on the darker sapphire side..............
https://www.richlandgemstones.com/product/sapphire-15/

Thank you, DigDeep.
This sounds like it would be quite dark IRL - and the size is also smaller than I am hoping for.

Shape-wise, ideally I would prefer a cushion, but I am also open to ovals and pears.
Anything elongating for the fingers.
Not crazy about anything round or square.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All tourmalines I have seen are too light and bright - and too green.

Indicolite is usually too dark ... www (see both photos - natural ligt & back lit - of the 48 cts chunk, and same for the 5.56 cts faceted - at www)*. On this other page www, there seem to be some that are not too dark. The letter colours are the definition of teal to me, quite unlike the Levi's blue sapphires you may yet prefer.

2c

I am affraid I like both ! - I am a sucker for indigo and turquoise blue in approx. everything.

____
* obviously, the sellers acknowledge that the stones are nearly black unless back-lit, I understand that such is the desperation for true blue in tourmaline, that the mysterious charm of such stones is given its due ...

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps no catch.

Among sapphires, this is an interesting iece, somewhat aside classical norms & the price acknowledges ... Obviously, BLUE is expected of sapphire not teal - what anyone would pay for the many unexpected colours of sapphire is somewhat of an open question.

The sapphire is not astonishingly cheap.

The question is, will you like it when you see it !

Just a thought

_
@Bron357 's step cut really is an unusual colour ...

It looks like regardless of how much research, hunting and homework one might do - it is hard to find a nice stone online at a good price - at least not until you order in and see IRL. So before ordering in, it's a bit of a lottery.

I think that anything that would look excellent in reality too - the vendor would highly emphasize in the selling process and would tax accordingly (hence no "good deals").

I will just have to start ordering with a good return policy.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Indicolite is usually too dark ... www (see both photos - natural ligt & back lit - of the 48 cts chunk, and same for the 5.56 cts faceted - at www)*. On this other page www, there seem to be some that are not too dark. The letter colours are the definition of teal to me, quite unlike the Levi's blue sapphires you may yet prefer.

2c

I am affraid I like both ! - I am a sucker for indigo and turquoise blue in approx. everything.

____
* obviously, the sellers acknowledge that the stones are nearly black unless back-lit, I understand that such is the desperation for true blue in tourmaline, that the mysterious charm of such stones is given its due ...

Mostly, most tourmalines seem too green with too little blue.

I do like the 1.24 ct trillion on this site - that's a nice teal blue.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that anything that would look excellent in reality too - the vendor would highly emphasize in the selling process and would tax accordingly (hence no "good deals").

... Eventually, everyone must sell. It is nice to be the best buyer at the right time ... perhaps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the 1.24 ct trillion on this site - that's a nice teal blue.

More (for laughs):

4.98 EC (darker) www
2.7 Oval (indigo rarity) www
5.22 Cushion (most like your first picture - to me) www

[all come from this page WWW ]

Not sure I have seen anything nicer lately, but, I have not been looking ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results