shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires- precision cut and opinions?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd like to do a sapphire ring. I have one ring that has an almost navy sapphire that is an antique ring.

I wanted something that pops though for the color. However, I prefer antique cuts, so some of the really heavily faceted stones or stones that mimic a modern round do not appeal to me personally. I liked the idea of a cushion personally or I could do an oval, but I don't think something that is a more modern cut appeals to me- the faceting on this one is too busy for me, as an example.

https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p226/1.72_ct_Purplish-pink_Sapphire.html

Also, I don't want a Montana sapphire and I don't want one that is really violet or too pale/denim color.

I really like this ring a lot- and I might have Caysie do it, but if I have her do it if I find a stone, I would want stone quality to match because of setting price. I was hoping to spend under $2k for the sapphire.

Screenshot_20190610-152747 (1).png

I kind of liked these stones:

option 1- I know this is a Pricescoper's stone. But I don't think it would qualify as precision cut? Does that matter so much?

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loo...-52-dark-vivid-electric-blue-cushion-sapphire

Option 2- I like this one, even though it has more green in it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/624508370/blue-sapphire-249ct-antique-cushion?ref=hp_rf-3&pro=1&frs=1

This is another option, but smaller than I wanted:

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...e_Blue_Sapphire_1_24_carat-Gem.php?FromPage=1

this is pretty, but how much do recuts cost and does it really need it?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/278890398/2ct-bright-cornflower-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active_46

Help? this is a bit of uncharted territory for me for this project. I could find a diamond much easier...:lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts:

I like the first and the last for most eye-catching color and size. I think the PS stone is by far the best value. The Mastercut one looks nice, but is on the smaller side. I'm not a fan of the Pristine Gemstones one, because you specified you didn't want Montana, but that's a very Montana looking teal blue.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My go-to precision gem cutter is Jeff White, and he has photos of different colours and cuts of his work on his website, including a whole page on Sapphires and Rubies.

Have a look and see if you could find something to your liking, and then ask him if he has any roughs that may suit (he has many roughs in his inventory) and take it from there.

Sapphires tend to be cut quite deep, hopefully your budget will allow a decent size cut stone face up for your project.

Good luck!

DK :))

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I really like the one from arkieb, but I don't know if the window is too big? Help?

@dk168 thanks. I looked at his site and he didn't have any in stock, but I can ask if he has any rough. He has very pretty stones. I guess I was a little gun shy on asking about that too, because I didn't know if that would be considered custom cut and then I'm stuck if I don't like it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I'm allowed to answer because one of the stones is mine, the cushion is native cut another PSer saw it and she didn't notice the window in the stone, however it is closer to a nice bright Royal (it's not as dark as the real Royal colour but I think people new to sapphires don't understand the wide range of blues sapphires can be) to Peacock blue rather than what people here think of as cornflower, even though labs like Lotus class the darker colour as cornflower. The stone is not navy, but it's not a light to mid colour either.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I hope I'm allowed to answer because one of the stones is mine, the cushion is native cut another PSer saw it and she didn't notice the window in the stone, however it is closer to a nice bright Royal (it's not as dark as the real Royal colour but I think people new to sapphires don't understand the wide range of blues sapphires can be) to Peacock blue rather than what people here think of as cornflower, even though labs like Lotus class the darker colour as cornflower. The stone is not navy, but it's not a light to mid colour either.

I almost tagged you, but didn’t want to be weird. Lol.

I love the color of your stone. I like the size. I just keep reading about the preference for precision cutting and am clueless on if it’s really better or worth it for me. I am not a colored stone buyer typically, so this is hard.

And I’m looking at sizes that aren’t super cheap, so I don’t want to order a bunch at once.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Lotus-Guide-Postcard-1.jpg
Not sure if this makes it even more confusing for shoppers...from Lotus

I like the cornflower through royal. I see more violet in the royal exemplar. It’s helpful.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I think in some ways that chart makes it more confusing, that was the point of me answering this post, people on here have an idea that cornflower is that really mid blue, which it is. I had the twin the the stone I'm selling come back from Lotus as "medium" "vivid" and "cornflower" yet I wouldn't class it "cornflower" personally because it's darker than what I and most people here describe as that colour.

This is the problem there is a huge variation in what people think of and even labs and sellers classify as things like "cornflower" "pigeon blood" red in rubies, and so on, they are terms people use so loosely they can cover a wide range of colours.

I have both precision cut and non precision cut stones, as do most people here, I think it's personal preference.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With colored gems, the most important attribute is color. Color can sometimes be enhanced by decent cutting, but if I had to choose between less than my ideal color, but precision cut, vs. a more ideal color and a decent native cut, I would choose the latter. That being said, some people find cutting more important than color, or cannot live with great color if the stone isn’t precision cut. It depends on what your preference is. I don’t care for windowed stones, but I have one stone with such exceptional color, it’s huge window doesn’t bother me, and it gets compliments more than my precision cut gems.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Most of my stones are native cut and I love them, though I also love precision cut. When I'm after color I generally do not place a high premium on precision cut (although, I mean, I wouldn't argue if one happened to drop in my lap). Like TL, I'd rather have a decent native cut and better color than a less good color and precision cut.

Sapphires are hard! I had to order and return a lot to figure out what I liked, personally.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love arkieb1's stone so much that it was one I recommended to a friend. (She has had plenty of time to pull the trigger and honestly isn't sure what she's looking for).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s really rare to have top colour and precision cut. Will be tougher to have both and still under 2K. My best CS are very well cut non precision stones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It’s really rare to have top colour and precision cut. Will be tougher to have both and still under 2K. My best CS are very well cut non precision stones.

thanks. It sounds like it is somewhat normal to have to look at multiples. I ordered one i was interested in and we'll see. I don't want to order a ton at once, but I think I need to look at options.

I found one I liked a good bit for both color and cutting, but it was well over $7k, which is not the budget I want for this project. I have some flexibility, but I didn't want a stone over $2,500 if I'm being honest. That was kind of my top end for this, because I don't even know how much I'll wear it ultimately. Thank you for the feedback!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You might end up ith no other option than to buy an already fine sapphire & have it shaved down into a precise, old school cushion. Of course, it is better if a cutter has already done this & has the right object in stock - what are the chances...

WWW - a preform

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
You might end up ith no other option than to buy an already fine sapphire & have it shaved down into a precise, old school cushion. Of course, it is better if a cutter has already done this & has the right object in stock - what are the chances...

WWW - a preform
Nice find, AV. Not perfect, but fits the $2k criterion and is a nice big size and a juicy color.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@voce I wonder what Dan Stair or another cutter interested in classical cushions might make of it; the colour seems beautiful and could get better.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

WWW - a preform

Oh, that's a lovely color! It's well within budget too. I think I may email Dan Stair and ask about a recut on it. If it is a stone in budget, I am more open to tweaking it, but if it is above the budget, then I was less interested in that potential. I may order it to check it out too. Thank you for looking!

Reactions: AV_

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best CSs are precision cut, the majority were commissioned pieces.
However I am an infant compared with the old times and have a lot to learn

DK :mrgreen2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
What happened to the facets at 3:00?

I believe that the pavilion is shallower there, then there is a clump of inclusions; interestingly the other side is both deep and clean - enough to be curious about recutting.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Don't know if this is your cup of tea, this is from a PS vendor, comes with GIA cert. and measures about 8 ish mm. Can't be sure but I think it's within budget.

IMG_1806.png

Last edited:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The stone from Pristine Gems arrived. I can return it as well if I want. It's more violet toned than the vendor photos.

I don't mind the cut on it. What do you all think of it?

In bright sunlight:

IMG_20190620_161715420.jpg

In shade outside:

IMG_20190620_161659841.jpg

In the house without any lighting in the shade. This is the darkest I have seen it so far.

IMG_20190620_161548371.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just be careful when some lapidaries say when a sapphire is precision cut, because many just refine existing native cuts. Sapphires are not allowed out of some locales in rough form, hence the reason they might be refined a bit. They may recut a small portion to eliminate a window, or add extra sparkle. A full precision cut means the entire stone is cut so that facet points meet perfectly, and it has optimal dimensions.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone from Pristine Gems arrived. I can return it as well if I want. It's more violet toned than the vendor photos.

I don't mind the cut on it. What do you all think of it?

In bright sunlight:

IMG_20190620_161715420.jpg

In shade outside:

IMG_20190620_161659841.jpg

In the house without any lighting in the shade. This is the darkest I have seen it so far.

IMG_20190620_161548371.jpg

Do YOU like the color? You are the one wearing it.

In the direct sun photo it looks a bit hazy or cloudy. Does it look like that in "real life?" To me in the inside photo it looks like it has a bit of green to it. What lighting will you usually see it in? And does that provide a pleasing color to you?

HTH

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is fine the colour is not that vivid is that what you want?

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think some of the other options you initially considered had significantly more of a pop of colour, which is what you stated you wanted.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Looks a bit in the teal tone from my monitor. Nice big facets tho if they do "spark".

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it's a very pretty color, but I see "teal", not a bright blue. But of course If thats what you want then it's great, just sharing my 2cents!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You said above you didn't want a stone that looked like a Montana or one that was too denim in colour that IMHO is both of those things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results