shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires- precision cut and opinions?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks teal to me but I love teal. It's definitely not a proper blue sapphire like the ones owned by other PSers.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
That's a nice tone if that's the darkest it gets!

As for the color, what's important is that you like it, not that it matches up to some arbitrary standard that someone else likes or that the "market" likes. Do you like it?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree.
If that's as dark as it gets- I think it's pretty for what it is. ( I like the larger facets, too)
If you think it may not scratch the itch for a color popping blue - pass on it or consider it a happy stow away for a different project.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You said above you didn't want a stone that looked like a Montana or one that was too denim in colour that IMHO is both of those things.

I think it is too. I am new at sapphires, so I wanted confirmation. It's a pretty color, but not really what I was looking for. It's denim blue in the darker lighting. And it's a sleepier blue. I think I am going to return it. It's too expensive to not be what I want.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Agree.
If that's as dark as it gets- I think it's pretty for what it is. ( I like the larger facets, too)
If you think it may not scratch the itch for a color popping blue - pass on it or consider it a happy stow away for a different project.

I actually like the cut, but I think at $2k it's too much to keep. I appreciate your help!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Do YOU like the color? You are the one wearing it.

In the direct sun photo it looks a bit hazy or cloudy. Does it look like that in "real life?" To me in the inside photo it looks like it has a bit of green to it. What lighting will you usually see it in? And does that provide a pleasing color to you?

HTH

It's not hazy in person. It's probably me manhandling it. But it's not a vivid blue. It's a sleepier blue. In the vendor pictures, it was a brighter stone. I like it well enough, but not well enough for the price.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think some of the other options you initially considered had significantly more of a pop of colour, which is what you stated you wanted.

It's not exactly what I had in mind. I think it goes back. I always feel bad about returns, but it's too denim in person. The teal comes through a tiny bit, but not much in person.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1BD23E8C-B121-4A25-B692-51DFC137ADB4.png
Here’s a heart-shaped ring at Pristine Gemstones with a lighter blue sapphire. The cut looks really pretty and more towards the precision side. I also really love the color of arkieb1’s .

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @MissyBeaucoup ! That's a pretty shade.

I like the vivid color of @arkieb1 stone too, but I don't want to be a pita with shipping back to Australia if I decide it's not for me. I feel like that's not fair with a private sale. I think it's in the right color family though, especially after seeing this one. It's also in budget.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not hazy in person. It's probably me manhandling it. But it's not a vivid blue. It's a sleepier blue. In the vendor pictures, it was a brighter stone. I like it well enough, but not well enough for the price.

That's your answer then, it goes back.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know if this is your cup of tea, this is from a PS vendor, comes with GIA cert. and measures about 8 ish mm. Can't be sure but I think it's within budget.

IMG_1806.png
@elizat have you looked at this one? I don't know which vendor this is or if there are more pics, but IMHO this is a great color and looks like what you were saying you wanted in terms of being bright but saturated.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat have you looked at this one? I don't know which vendor this is or if there are more pics, but IMHO this is a great color and looks like what you were saying you wanted in terms of being bright but saturated.

I'm not sure what vendor it is either. I didn't see it anywhere that I looked. Generally, rounds do look great one, but I'd consider one. I think my fingers are too chunky for round stones usually.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rad_Fan where did you find that round?

And @elizat your fingers are NOT too chunky for a round!!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe take a look at the gemstoneproject's site. She has some sapphire which are a close match to that round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results