shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring Help - Thank You!

rube_

Rough_Rock
I did - but I am still in early stages of conversation with the two who were recommended.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rube_

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for finding these options.

I am speaking with one a gemcutter who is quoting ~1000 to 1200/ct for a 2.0 to 2.5ct custom cut gem to fit this ring. Anybody have input on this pricing? That puts me at 2000 to 3000 for a custom cut gem, which seems quite reasonable.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rube_|1453299309|3978512 said:
Thank you all for finding these options.

I am speaking with one a gemcutter who is quoting ~1000 to 1200/ct for a 2.0 to 2.5ct custom cut gem to fit this ring. Anybody have input on this pricing? That puts me at 2000 to 3000 for a custom cut gem, which seems quite reasonable.

Who?

rube_

Rough_Rock
Peter Torraca.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rube_|1453301449|3978527 said:
Peter Torraca.

I've worked with him he is lovely and does a great job

He did exactly what you're trying to do before for another PSer.

I'm sure he wont go too dark, but just make sure he's looking for a blue that isn't too dark. I know you like dark, but if you haven't seen a lot of sapphires, you may not know how they behave in all environments. And if hate to get one that blacks out.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-montana-sapphire-e-ring-with-custom-wedding-band.204260/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-montana-sapphire-e-ring-with-custom-wedding-band.204260/[/URL]

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes that is also a good idea to have a custom cut to fit that setting. that Montana sapphire ring turned out amazing!

I would still have him cut the stone a wee bit deeper than the current stone even if it has to be raised a bit in the setting, so the cut is better.
I know you like royal blue, but try to source a stone that may be a bit lighter than you think, as dark stones get darker in settings and also can black out in low light conditions. I would hate for you to get a custom cut stone and be disappointed in how it performs.

rube_

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the input.

Peter requested I send him some photos for examples. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice range of "royal blue"? I am interested in more or less enhancing the existing ring, so that it keeps its heirloom quality, but I would like to find something that is classy and beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rube_|1453306225|3978574 said:
Thank you both for the input.

Peter requested I send him some photos for examples. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice range of "royal blue"? I am interested in more or less enhancing the existing ring, so that it keeps its heirloom quality, but I would like to find something that is classy and beautiful.

I'd tell him you are aiming for as close to trade ideal as you can get within your budget

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453308483|3978596 said:
I'd tell him you are aiming for as close to trade ideal as you can get within your budget

This! Don't skimp on the cut (depth) because you are paying extra for precision cutting. Also, have him send you pictures of the rough (for us to make some sort of guesstimate) and advise you on the final colour.

rube_

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! You are the best, really.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results