Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring Help - Thank You!

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Hello, PriceScope!

I am looking to replace this synthetic gem in order to make my girlfriend an engagement ring:

img-20151207-wa0040.jpg
(oval shape, 9.2x7x3.9MM, 1.88cts)

Can anyone help me start looking for an appropriate replacement? I have no idea where to start, but this ring has been in my family for over a century and it means a lot to me.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Also - do I need to find a gem of the exact same dimensions in order to replace this one?
 

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
134
What a beautiful ring!! What type of stone are you looking for? Any color in particular? Spinels and sapphires are commonly recommended since they both stand up to daily wear. Both options come in a range of colors. A budget is also really helpful, since that's also a wide range! Also, are you positive about the measurements? It looks wider than 3.9mm
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
rube_|1452807279|3976067 said:
Also - do I need to find a gem of the exact same dimensions in order to replace this one?
Yes. Or about the same.

Lovely ring though. If done right, it'll be stunning. Are you open to different colors or will it be a very specific range?

Do you know the dimensions?
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
The gem dimensions are 9.2x7x3.9mm and it is 1.88cts.

I am open to different gem ideas, but I am leaning towards a blue sapphire for tradition's sake.

As for a budget, I am unsure. I have no idea what is reasonable or expected for this size!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
rube_|1452807700|3976073 said:
The gem dimensions are 9.2x7x3.9mm and it is 1.88cts.

I am open to different gem ideas, but I am leaning towards a blue sapphire for tradition's sake.

As for a budget, I am unsure. I have no idea what is reasonable or expected for this size!

That makes more sense in regards go the dimensions

Be open to color, particularly if you're not open to a very expensive gem. Having to find something lovely,in budget, and requiring to fit in a very specific hole will mean flexibility in some other area. That might mean color.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
I am certainly open to suggestions! But as I said, I've no idea where to start or what budget to set.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
rube_|1452808120|3976076 said:
I am certainly open to suggestions! But as I said, I've no idea where to start or what budget to set.
Well I'm sure you have some idea
..1k? 5k? 10...50?

What is the amount you'd like to, and whatsbthe hiest you're willing too
 

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Messages
415
When you say "blue" do you have any images or idea of what kind of blue you would want? And re. being open to other colors... pinks? Yellows? What color(s) do you think your girlfriend would like?

ETA Some time ago another poster was in a similar situation, she was proposed to I believe with a lovely family sapphire ring and had a stone custom cut in a color that she enjoyed for the ring. So, just another possibility, you could propose with this ring and then go stone/color shopping together.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
I'd say my budget is 2-4k, but flexible either way. It depends on where the sweet spot for value to product is.

I would like the idea of shopping together, but uncomfortable discussing pricing with her openly. Takes some magic out.

As for color, I think she's classic and not into very overly feminine aesthetics, so potentially blue is still best.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Sorry - that was still vague on the blues! I think something darker is nice, but is that a less valuable trait?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,363
Can you please post a profile view of the setting? I would like to see how much depth we can work with. The current stone is extremely shallow and if you aim for a stone with the same depth, there will be major cut issues, which is best avoided since it will be your forever e-ring stone. In terms of face up measurements, anything close to 9 x 7 mm will fit.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Thanks for the first suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate the help. I don't have the ring on hand (it is with the jeweler) but will post the best profile shots I have shortly.

As for color, I do not think she would like anything light like a pink or yellow. Even if it is difficult, blue is perhaps the best option.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
rube_|1452867327|3976324 said:
Thanks for the first suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate the help. I don't have the ring on hand (it is with the jeweler) but will post the best profile shots I have shortly.

As for color, I do not think she would like anything light like a pink or yellow. Even if it is difficult, blue is perhaps the best option.
Contact some lapidaries and see if they can cut you one. Chrono is right it's very shallow. Peter Torraca is who I'd contract. Make sure you mention it needs to be shallow
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Niel|1452868706|3976328 said:
rube_|1452867327|3976324 said:
Thanks for the first suggestions, everyone. I really appreciate the help. I don't have the ring on hand (it is with the jeweler) but will post the best profile shots I have shortly.

As for color, I do not think she would like anything light like a pink or yellow. Even if it is difficult, blue is perhaps the best option.
Contact some lapidaries and see if they can cut you one. Chrono is right it's very shallow. Peter Torraca is who I'd contract. Make sure you mention it needs to be shallow
Is it more or less expensive to have a custom gem cut? I imagine more.

What are the risks with a shallow gem - windowing? I could potentially have the ring remade to include the diamonds and a new gem, right? I wonder which would be more cost effective.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,363
Custom cut is typically more expensive. Yes, a shallow gem is almost always windowed. Remaking is also expensive, even if you re-use the diamonds. Expect it to cost around $1K at minimum for the setting.

We will need better pictures of the profile to see how much depth we can get away with. Perhaps it is only the sapphire that is shallow and the setting can accommodate a deeper cut stone.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Okay - sounds like the best bet is to use the existing setting and see how deep of a gem will fit.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
My concern is how hard it will be to find a shallow gem, your size, that isn't windowed, in a color you'll consider.

There are cuts that can prevent windowing in a shallower stone, which is why I think you might need to find a cutter who can accommodate that very specific requirement for your ring.

Hopefully the setting allows for some depth. You'll really need to ask the jeweler the max acceptable depth.
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Niel|1452870028|3976339 said:
My concern is how hard it will be to find a shallow gem, your size, that isn't windowed, in a color you'll consider.

There are cuts that can prevent windowing in a shallower stone, which is why I think you might need to find a cutter who can accommodate that very specific requirement for your ring.

Hopefully the setting allows for some depth. You'll really need to ask the jeweler the max acceptable depth.
Understood. What cuts would these be?

I put in a call to the jeweler to ask about depth, hopefully will hear back today. Thank you again for all of the feedback!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
rube_|1452871297|3976348 said:
Niel|1452870028|3976339 said:
My concern is how hard it will be to find a shallow gem, your size, that isn't windowed, in a color you'll consider.

There are cuts that can prevent windowing in a shallower stone, which is why I think you might need to find a cutter who can accommodate that very specific requirement for your ring.

Hopefully the setting allows for some depth. You'll really need to ask the jeweler the max acceptable depth.
Understood. What cuts would these be?

I put in a call to the jeweler to ask about depth, hopefully will hear back today. Thank you again for all of the feedback!
Im not a lapidary so the specific names of the cuts i dont know. A concave cut i do believe can help with less depth, though i dont know if she would even like that. But paying a little extra makes sense to me when you have a very limited LxW and depth, color, and shape ...kwim?

I dont think reaching out to a few lapidaries to see what they have is a bad idea. Definitely worth the time, i think
 

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 10, 2013
Messages
415
I second Niel's suggestion of reaching out to lapidaries. I would also consider contacting Dana at Mastercutgems.com with your budget and what you're looking for.

What do you think of the blue color that Chrono posted? Is that the color you're looking for? Would you be open to lighter blues, blue-greens (like Montana sapphires)? Just trying to get a feel for what "blue" means to you. :)

ETA: Here's an example of a Montana sapphire... not sure about the depth though (and it looks like there's some color zoning) http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-418-oval-brilliant-cut-2-46cts

sapphire_montana_418_a.jpg
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
I like middle to darker blues, myself. Very elegant.

I will reach out to those two individuals ASAP - thank you both!
 

rube_

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 14, 2016
Messages
20
Update - the jeweler I'm working with says it will fit between a 4-5.5mm gem, though I'm a little speculative of her lack of precision.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,363
rube_|1452888172|3976482 said:
Update - the jeweler I'm working with says it will fit between a 4-5.5mm gem, though I'm a little speculative of her lack of precision.
Some adjustment is to be expected. It will depend on how high or low the stone is set within the setting. Sounds like it can accommodate a well cut 2 ct sapphire with a standard-ish depth.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top