Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire choice for a Canera halo setting

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,494
The price is very good on a sapphire with that colour but if it doesn't feel right to you, then it's not the one for you. Perhaps the haziness is not as apparent in the video as it is IRL.
 

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 6, 2012
Messages
1,245
I like the color in the video :), just my two cents
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
TL|1394296932|3630031 said:
If you do want a blue/violet stone with sparkle factor that is untreated, I would highly recommend blue spinel. The second stone above does look like blue spinel, and they're usually far less money for a sapphire the same size without treatment. They're also a very durable stone. They're typically not as saturated as fine sapphires either, but each stone has to be judged on an individual level.

Just some food for thought. I really like the first stone though. I would just check to make sure it doesn't shift to a color you are not as fond of in other lighting.
Could you elaborate a bit more on your spinel recommendation? Would spinel be an appropriate choice for an everyday ring that I hope to pass along over time? I ask now because I'm eying some beautiful spinels on the Finewater site.
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
I'm starting to wonder if a blue stone is not for me. At Tiffany, I was initially drawn to the pink sapphire Soleste, so I'm considering pink stones, too. I prefer a light to medium pink, no hot pinks. Here are two pink spinels and two pink sapphires:

Spinel, 3.14 ct, 8.6 x 7.5 x 6.0mm, VVS clarity, $1800

screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1.png

Spinel, 3.07 ct, 8.1 x 8.1 x 6.3mm, SI clarity, $1500

screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1_0.png

Seems I can get less expensive spinels elsewhere, but these precision cut ones really caught my eye.

Sapphire, 1.52 ct, 7.3 x 5.9 x 4.2mm, VVS clarity, $1900 (I'm okay with this deeper color since the size is smaller)

screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1_1.png

I would make up for the smaller size of the sapphire by considering a setting more like this:

screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1_2.png

I'm very intrigued by this light pink sapphire below, but I'm worried it would be too grey indoors with not enough life. I emailed asking for more photos. This is actually my favorite color of all, seems the most "me."

Sapphire, 3.63cts, 8.7mm, depth 6mm, VS-VVS, unheated, $3900

screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1_5.png screen_shot_2014-03-13_at_1_6.png

I apologize for the indecision. Thoughts about these would be helpful and much appreciated!
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,494
Spinels are fine as everyday ring stones but as always, I caution that coloured stones need care. No CS are truly 24/7 stones and should be removed prior to doing any housework or yardwork.

3.14 ct spinel looks very pretty. I do not consider this stone precision cut.
3.07 ct spinel is not eye clean with the inclusion is located where a prong will be. This spinel is precision cut.
1.52 ct sapphire looks to be a bit silky but the saturation looks the strongest of all shown here. This sapphire is not precision cut.

You are correct that there is a tipping point where going too light also means the stone does not have much saturation. The last sapphire you posted is precision cut.
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
I like to see when people post updates, so here is mine. The seller of the 3 ct blue sapphire on Loupe Troop responded last week that the stone is still available (with an apology for the late reply). If anyone is interested in that beautiful stone, you should try contacting her.

I ended up going a totally different direction with my anniversary right-hand ring, buying an August Vintage Cushion from GOG and sending it to Maytal Hannah for a bezel setting (hope to get it back soon!). To satiate my sapphire craving, I bought a sweet, little vintage pink sapphire and diamond ring to rotate with my engagement ring.

dscf7120_0.jpg

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,889
Oh you're the one that bought this?! I loved the setting. Its a CVB design right? I see her post things on LT from time to time.
 

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Messages
23,266
DorotheaBrooke|1394663424|3632848 said:
TL|1394296932|3630031 said:
If you do want a blue/violet stone with sparkle factor that is untreated, I would highly recommend blue spinel. The second stone above does look like blue spinel, and they're usually far less money for a sapphire the same size without treatment. They're also a very durable stone. They're typically not as saturated as fine sapphires either, but each stone has to be judged on an individual level.

Just some food for thought. I really like the first stone though. I would just check to make sure it doesn't shift to a color you are not as fond of in other lighting.
Could you elaborate a bit more on your spinel recommendation? Would spinel be an appropriate choice for an everyday ring that I hope to pass along over time? I ask now because I'm eying some beautiful spinels on the Finewater site.
I think so. I wear a spinel every day for a few years, and it still looks great. I don't recommend doing housework, or digging ditches with a spinel on, but then again, I wouldn't do that with a diamond either. They are an 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, and they're pretty durable as well. Hope that helps.
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,103
Congrats with your future August Vintage/ Maytal ring!!!
and I love the sapphire ring!! The color p :love: ps!!!
 

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2009
Messages
7,768
Lovely pink sapphire! I'm glad you found sapphire & Maytal Hannah setting you like --- looking forward to seeing photos when it's done. Congratulations!
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
Thanks, everyone! I'm so happy with my sapphire ring, and I never would have found it without PS.

Niel, yes, I'm the one who snapped the ring up from LT. The ring is vintage, but I bought it from CVB Design (and Caysie is super sweet!).
 

liquidblock

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
9
DorotheaBrooke|1394563279|3631836 said:
I visited sapphire #1 again today. The color and saturation are beautiful to me, and work well in different lighting. The clarity and cut are not great so there's an overall hazy/silky look. There are two tiny but visible inclusions (air bubbles) but I'm not bothered by them. 2 ct, $2100. I'm still unsure. Considering going with the precision cutter as I mentioned at the start but the cost would be >$1k more.

Here are some more photos of #1 and I can upload a video I made later.
congrats on finding the right anniversary ring dorothea and that pink sapphire ring is gorgeous! would you mind sharing who the vendor of the original sapphire #1 is? i'm looking for a blue sapphire for my engagement ring and really like the silkiness and color of the first sapphire your posted.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,494
Congrats on both the new pink sapphire RHR and AVC! :appl:
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
liquidblock|1398045964|3656845 said:
DorotheaBrooke|1394563279|3631836 said:
I visited sapphire #1 again today. The color and saturation are beautiful to me, and work well in different lighting. The clarity and cut are not great so there's an overall hazy/silky look. There are two tiny but visible inclusions (air bubbles) but I'm not bothered by them. 2 ct, $2100. I'm still unsure. Considering going with the precision cutter as I mentioned at the start but the cost would be >$1k more.

Here are some more photos of #1 and I can upload a video I made later.
congrats on finding the right anniversary ring dorothea and that pink sapphire ring is gorgeous! would you mind sharing who the vendor of the original sapphire #1 is? i'm looking for a blue sapphire for my engagement ring and really like the silkiness and color of the first sapphire your posted.
No problem! The sapphire was sourced by Denise at Windy City Diamonds in Chicago http://www.windycitydiamonds.com. She does not have the sapphire on site, but if it's still available, she should be able to get it for you. Good luck!
 

liquidblock

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 11, 2014
Messages
9
DorotheaBrooke|1398086536|3657067 said:
liquidblock|1398045964|3656845 said:
DorotheaBrooke|1394563279|3631836 said:
I visited sapphire #1 again today. The color and saturation are beautiful to me, and work well in different lighting. The clarity and cut are not great so there's an overall hazy/silky look. There are two tiny but visible inclusions (air bubbles) but I'm not bothered by them. 2 ct, $2100. I'm still unsure. Considering going with the precision cutter as I mentioned at the start but the cost would be >$1k more.

Here are some more photos of #1 and I can upload a video I made later.
congrats on finding the right anniversary ring dorothea and that pink sapphire ring is gorgeous! would you mind sharing who the vendor of the original sapphire #1 is? i'm looking for a blue sapphire for my engagement ring and really like the silkiness and color of the first sapphire your posted.
No problem! The sapphire was sourced by Denise at Windy City Diamonds in Chicago http://www.windycitydiamonds.com. She does not have the sapphire on site, but if it's still available, she should be able to get it for you. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the contact Dorothea! Again, congrats on the lovely vintage pink sapphire ring and I can't wait to see the bezel setting for the vintage cushion you purchased. :)
 

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 15, 2015
Messages
2,694
I like to see when people post updates, so here is mine. The seller of the 3 ct blue sapphire on Loupe Troop responded last week that the stone is still available (with an apology for the late reply). If anyone is interested in that beautiful stone, you should try contacting her.

I ended up going a totally different direction with my anniversary right-hand ring, buying an August Vintage Cushion from GOG and sending it to Maytal Hannah for a bezel setting (hope to get it back soon!). To satiate my sapphire craving, I bought a sweet, little vintage pink sapphire and diamond ring to rotate with my engagement ring.

dscf7120_0.jpg

Thanks again for all the help, everyone!
This is gorgeous! Did you know I’m in a similar situation, trying to decide what colour stone to go for? I was thinking blue sapphire but I also think maybe pink- I was worried how it would look on my skin though. How is your skin tone? Do you have pink undertones like I do? That ring looks exquisite on you. I know this is an old thread but if you don’t mind posting more pics I would be very grateful :)
 

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 6, 2014
Messages
333
This is gorgeous! Did you know I’m in a similar situation, trying to decide what colour stone to go for? I was thinking blue sapphire but I also think maybe pink- I was worried how it would look on my skin though. How is your skin tone? Do you have pink undertones like I do? That ring looks exquisite on you. I know this is an old thread but if you don’t mind posting more pics I would be very grateful :)
Hello! I sold this ring long ago, simply because it was an impulse purchase that I rarely wore. I could not find any other photos on my computer. The color did look very nice with my skin tone, which is pretty light (usually the second lightest foundation color) with strong pink undertones. I always wanted a blue sapphire, but decided that stones in the pink and purple family match my style, wardrobe, and skin tone better. I typically wear pastels, not jewel tones.
 

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 15, 2015
Messages
2,694
Hello! I sold this ring long ago, simply because it was an impulse purchase that I rarely wore. I could not find any other photos on my computer. The color did look very nice with my skin tone, which is pretty light (usually the second lightest foundation color) with strong pink undertones. I always wanted a blue sapphire, but decided that stones in the pink and purple family match my style, wardrobe, and skin tone better. I typically wear pastels, not jewel tones.
Hmm interesting! Thanks so much for your input! I usually wear jewel tones- almost exclusively- so I should actually keep this in mind!

Also, I should not be surprised that you sold this ring. You have a beautifully curated collection and as Mrs-B once told me, that sometimes comes more from what you let go of than what you add!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top