shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Red on old Brooch.! The brooch in the image looks to contain diamonds & ruby gems.! Does anybody know.?

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
The brooch which is very old contains diamonds & ruby like gems.! The metal has no markings whatsoever.!! How can I tell if it's the real deal.? 20220818_222613.jpg 20220818_222647.jpg

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
This is very evidently a piece of costume jewellery. If it was gold silver or platinum it would be hallmarked. It is, at best, vermeil. The stones have no prongs holding them in and the dangling pearls look plasticky. If you rub the pearls against your teeth they will feel gritty if real. These are imitation.

It’s got bags of personality and looks like a piece from Davy Jones locker - would look amazing in a treasure chest! I hope you enjoy it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls are obviously fake. I agree that everything points to the brooch's being costume jewelry

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls are obviously fake. I agree that everything points to the brooch's being costume jewelry

Yup, pearls are fake IMHO, and the brooch is highly likely to be a piece of costume jewellery, also IMHO.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its still very pretty
if you love it you should rock it on a coat or a blouse
our grandmothers (or great grandmas for the younger ones) wore and enjoyed lots of custume brooches

its one of the things i most remember about my grandma
always had a brooch on a dress or a coat if she was going out

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
This is definitely costume jewelry. Like a number of pieces in other threads OP has started, unmarked gold means not gold. You can see that a number of the CZs have fallen out because the glue has dissolved. Another definitive sign of costume jewelry is the closed back of the piece along with the absence of prongs. That's how you know it's glue. I hope OP is able to enjoy their current items while absorbing some of the lessons of these threads so he/she can make informed decisions on purchases in the future.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@edw_kym, everything you have posted in all of your twelve threads thus far is “real”. And nothing you have posted in any of your twelve threads thus far is valuable. It’s all costume jewellery.

I suggest you take the time to actually read people’s responses rather than simply asking the same exact questions - and missing the same exact cues - again and again and again; it leaves people less inclined to want to help you in future.

And I do hope you’re not throwing money at these pieces hoping for a score.

Last edited:

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
I beg to differ Yssie regarding the 12 items I posted in the last 5 years look at "show me your pearls" the pearls I displayed were intact real ,and worth about 20k..

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
Did you send the pearls to GIA or another reputable lab? Because the feedback on that thread was that the pearls look too uniform to be natural, and a 20k string of pearls would pretty certainly have a clasp made of gold or platinum, rather than silver. If you have no proof that the pearls are natural, you also have no proof they are worth $20k. And, just an educated guess here - if you had gotten good news, you would have followed up to share it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember those threads and can absolutely guarantee that what was posted was not “worth” nearly that much on any retail or preloved market, if “worth” is defined as “saleable for”. I know a fair bit about pearls. This is an objective assessment. Potential emotional worth, that’s a whole different matter.

I’m not saying your pieces aren’t real (they are, they exist) or emotionally valuable (I can make no judgment on this). I’m saying that you repeatedly ask the same questions and miss previously-explicated details that would be obvious to you had you actually read others’ responses, and we have in fact noticed this.

Please go back through your old threads, read what was posted, and return here with your own observations and deductions regarding this piece. We will be happy to fill in with further detail.

Last edited:

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
It just seems like you read my previous postings in this forum.And decided all my jewelry aswell as gems & pearls are all fakes & costume stuff.!! Who are you to make sensationalist claims of this nature to begin with.?? ..:confused::confused::confused:..

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I beg to differ Yssie regarding the 12 items I posted in the last 5 years look at "show me your pearls" the pearls I displayed were intact real ,and worth about 20k..

Have you had the said pearls authenticated by a recognised laboratory that had issued you with a certificate confirming they are "natural" pearls please?

You have not updated that particular thread after some of the posters had advised for it to be sent to GIA for authentication.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just seems like you read my previous postings in this forum.And decided all my jewelry aswell as gems & pearls are all fakes & costume stuff.!! Who are you to make sensationalist claims of this nature to begin with.?? ..:confused::confused::confused:..

Sorry, a number of us who took our time to review your threads are feeling the same.

Yet you kept brushing our comments and opinions aside, even though they were made based on objective evidence that you had provided.

Not saying all your jewellery are costume, only the ones you have shown us so far.

@yssie please correct me if I am wrong, however, I agree with yssie in that please review the comments and advice provided to you so far; and re-evaluate the reminder of your collection that you have yet to share with us, to determine for yourself if they are costume pieces or pieces that could be made with genuine gemstones and diamonds, before asking PSers for their opinions with regard to their values, etc. etc...

I am not an expert by any means, however, I can usually distinguish between costume and fine jewellery.

For coloured stones, usually one cannot tell just by photos alone whether they are genuine or be able to identify the type.

However, if it is a very large stone that could be very valuable if real in a cheap looking setting, then the chances of the stone being real is low; and I don't need to send it to a lab to tell me that!

You have received plenty of good advice about how to distinguish between costume and fine jewellery through the years. We are asking you to learn from them. Take them or leave them, it is entirely up to you.

Good luck with the rest of your collection.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you send the pearls to GIA or another reputable lab? Because the feedback on that thread was that the pearls look too uniform to be natural, and a 20k string of pearls would pretty certainly have a clasp made of gold or platinum, rather than silver. If you have no proof that the pearls are natural, you also have no proof they are worth $20k. And, just an educated guess here - if you had gotten good news, you would have followed up to share it.

+ 1 - I posted along the same line as I did not see your post, DOH!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock

Actually, the sensationalist claim is that a $20 string of fake pearls is worth $20k.

Attachments

• 73AA7F67-512B-4383-8EBD-695296E3183D.png
    73AA7F67-512B-4383-8EBD-695296E3183D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • 21B28243-5DDE-47FD-9ACD-0AB2F91825D1.png
    21B28243-5DDE-47FD-9ACD-0AB2F91825D1.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 196

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
How could you determine the 20k Pearl's are fake..?? Are you the Pearl Expert.? Or just maybe someone full of hot air.?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP: you really should come to PS with an open mind and at least consider the comments of the seasoned and knowledgeable members. It is awesome the way you hunt and persevere to find jewelry. But wouldn't it be even better for you if you, because of new found knowledge, knew exactly what to look for and came away with a true treasure?

Because they knew what to look for, many PSers have discovered quite valuable pieces in overlooked places. If you search here, you can find great threads about it. Wishing you the best.

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am truly not interested..Many comments on PS are mearly BS to de-value all your prized jewelry pieces.! The old saying "Go Fly A Kite"..!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could you determine the 20k Pearl's are fake..?? Are you the Pearl Expert.? Or just maybe someone full of hot air.?

I have asked if you could provide documented evidence to substantiate your claim that the necklace consists of natural pearls.

Show me the evidence and I shall believe you; otherwise it is your subjective opinion that is not supported by objective evidence.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am truly not interested..Many comments on PS are mearly BS to de-value all your prized jewelry pieces.! The old saying "Go Fly A Kite"..!!

Fine, don't hang out in PS if that is how you feel.

My opinion about your pieces have not changed.

However, I longer wish to interact with you or comment on your posts.

Have a good life.

DK :roll2:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Just because you don’t like what people give you as feedback on the things you share doesn’t mean it’s all BS. That might be your perception and let me tell you, it is way off. Some people here are more direct than others, and that’s ok. If you keep posting worthless costume jewelry, you will end up pissing people off. Nobody here is interested in plastic jewels, or at least that’s not what they look for on this forum.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
In this thread, OP asked, "How can I tell if it's the real deal.?" and in the pearl thread, "MY QUESTION? DOES ANYBODY KNOW VALUE?" and "Any feedback offered will be accepted.? Even if you feel the pearls are not worth that much.."

It really goes without saying, but if OP is not interested in hearing why something might not be the real deal, or feedback that their pieces are not expensive, he/she should refrain from soliciting these exact opinions and instead post their pieces in fabulous fashion jewelry - or not at all.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a piece of jewellery has no hallmarks for precious metal then the gemstones in the piece are most likely faux or glass.
The quality of the settings is another clue, precious gemstones other than pearls or flat back cabochons are never “glued in”. Precious gemstones, except Georgian pieces, are not “foil backed”.
Some pieces of costume jewellery are hallmarked for the maker and some are pieces very collectible and have a value well beyond their materials. Vintage Chanel pieces for eg are worth big $$$.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love when people come on PS asking for advice about "treasures" and then shout at us when we tell them that the pieces arent super valuable.

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
Nobody shouted at anybody on PS..And nobody ever mentioned the brooch in the photo as being valuable.!! It's only a costume piece.!! I'm sure.!!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Nobody shouted at anybody on PS..And nobody ever mentioned the brooch in the photo as being valuable.!! It's only a costume piece.!! I'm sure.!!

Troll

edw_kym

Rough_Rock
Premium
No Troll here buddy.!! Say that if you wish.!! The only piece which ought to be mentioned here is the piece located at the top of this thread.!! Real or Costume..No content placed here was to initiate a feud.!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results