shape
carat
color
clarity

***Ruby Help Needed***

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I think while these are both perfectly fine crystals, you may find them to be too dark/orangey/garnet-like in person (as our dear @Crimson pointed out). Truthfully, the windowing bothers me more than anything. But certain collectors are more sensitive to that than others. I look forward to seeing what Inken comes up with!

P.S. I, too, am a big fan of The Rare Gemstone Company (Antony)!!
Yes, @Autumn in New England Antony is so knowledgeabl, professional and understanding. I am a fan of The Rare Gemstone Company too! Cannot wait for my new stone to arrive.

Suhail is wonderful. I've only bought rubellites from them, not rubies but you could try to contact them. They have some terrible pictures on their website though so just message him and tell him what you're looking for (eg no pink, no brown etc).

I bought a heart rubellite from them that I would not have touched had I only gone off the website pictures! I didn't even request pictures because it looked terrible on the website but when they went to retrieve the actual stone and take video footage of it, it was gorgeous.
Yes, @mellowyellowgirl that heart rubellite ring is big and beautiful! Suhail is so nice, and their customer chat line is always availabLe.

Yes, @Autumn in New England Antony is so knowledgeabl, professional and understanding. I am a fan of The Rare Gemstone Company too! Cannot wait for my new stone to arrive.
Wait, what stone?! I think I missed your post about it. I must know!!
party.gif

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
@flea_sly To me, the rubies in the above photo don“t look promising. They seem overly dark.
I agree with @Autumn in New England you can get one within your budget. I am afraid that while helping you find possible rings, I might be sorely tempted to buy more rubies! :mrgreen2: Anyway, here is a nice one from The Rare Genstone Co. I trust them. They can make custom jewelry as well. I bought something from them two weeks ago, and some others earlier.

@mellowyellowgirl you are so kind =)2

maybe we can get a discount if we both buy at the same time lol.

So the ruby I end up going with will not be going in a ring. It will be going in a 14k white gold necklace with a single solitary setting for the ruby.

thank you for the link as I will check them out for sure!

If you see any good looking ruby's that meet my criteria, please send me links as I would like to see them.

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
Try Starruby as well

Harshil is lovely. I've bought two pink spinels off him in very seamless transactions and they were very well priced.

Also try

Suhail is wonderful. I've only bought rubellites from them, not rubies but you could try to contact them. They have some terrible pictures on their website though so just message him and tell him what you're looking for (eg no pink, no brown etc).

I bought a heart rubellite from them that I would not have touched had I only gone off the website pictures! I didn't even request pictures because it looked terrible on the website but when they went to retrieve the actual stone and take video footage of it, it was gorgeous.

Thank you very much for the information! I will look into them as well.

If you see any good looking ruby's that meet my criteria, please send me links as I would like to see them.

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
I'm now in contact with both Inken from Enhoering & I've sent a message to Antony from the rare gemstone company. Thanks to you guys, we shall see how it goes.

If any of you could please research and find me any stones that meet my criteria and send me links, this would help me out very much! It will give me a good baseline for what I should be looking at in a stone overall.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, what stone?! I think I missed your post about it. I must know!!
party.gif

@Autumn in New England Thanks for sharing my excitement! I haven’t shared about it yet. It is a Mahenge blue spinel I had been looking for a few months, ever since the publicity about the new deposit. https://www.ssef.ch/ssef-conducts-a...nel-from-a-newly-reported-source-in-tanzania/
Antony had a nice one (and only one!). After pondering for a while and getting advice from the blue spinel thread, I bought it :mrgreen2:

Last edited:
@Autumn in New England Thanks for sharing my excitement! I haven’t shared about it yet. It is a Mahenge blue spinel I had been looking for a few months, ever since the publicity about the new deposit. https://www.ssef.ch/ssef-conducts-a...nel-from-a-newly-reported-source-in-tanzania/
Antony had a nice one (and only one!). After pondering for a while and getting advice from the blue spinel thread, I bought it :mrgreen2:

Wow, wow, wow!! Please share pix when you're ready!!
trampo.gif

It occurred to me that I forgot to include a "too orange" example in my previous post. And my OCD simply won't allow that.
nuts.gif
Here is a ruby I would consider to be veering towards the orange spectrum.

orange.JPG

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
do you think you might be able to find me some links of some nice stones that meet my criteria so I can see them as good baseline examples?

As much as I would like to help, I would not take it upon myself to make suggestions as I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in the field. A lot of my knowledge is still theoretical and the rest is limited to my personal preferences.

But if you'd take a bit of general advice from a fellow newbie, here are a few points:

- don't get too caught up on cut, especially with rare and expensive stones. No need to stay away from cushions, elongated cushions, rounds, rovals (which is the slang for a chunky oval that's very close to a round) and the like. If a stone that meets all your other criteria comes along, don't turn it down just because it might not be an emerald or oval cut.

- be careful with the term "pigeon blood red" as it seems even ruby experts have different criteria on what that colour is. Just open google and start looking at pictures of rubies. Save the ones that catch your eye. Post them here and let our fellow PS members give you their take on the colours, are they too pink, are they too orange, are they too dark, because all that affects the price. You have every right to prefer a colour that isn't considered trade ideal. It will leave room in your budget for more carats. ;-)

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Hello and welcome to the forum! Here my
comments:

- First ruby: overly dark, orange secondary color, large window and MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Second ruby: overly dark, MASSIVELY overpriced. Avoid

- Third ruby: like ruby 1. Avoid

If your budget is 10-15k, I strongly suggest you ask Inken from Enhoerning jewelry, she will source an awesome Mozambique or Tanzanian ruby you will fall in love with. Her track record is excellent and she knows what great rubies look like. Trust me ;-)

For 15K, I wonder what you might be looking at, low-1ct unheated Burmese ruby with good colour and fluorescence (saw a couple of such ruby with GRS certs on web), 10K for similar specs African ruby with similar colour but less fluorescence? Wonder if on the mark or too wishful.

flea_sly

Rough_Rock
As much as I would like to help, I would not take it upon myself to make suggestions as I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough in the field. A lot of my knowledge is still theoretical and the rest is limited to my personal preferences.

But if you'd take a bit of general advice from a fellow newbie, here are a few points:

- don't get too caught up on cut, especially with rare and expensive stones. No need to stay away from cushions, elongated cushions, rounds, rovals (which is the slang for a chunky oval that's very close to a round) and the like. If a stone that meets all your other criteria comes along, don't turn it down just because it might not be an emerald or oval cut.

- be careful with the term "pigeon blood red" as it seems even ruby experts have different criteria on what that colour is. Just open google and start looking at pictures of rubies. Save the ones that catch your eye. Post them here and let our fellow PS members give you their take on the colours, are they too pink, are they too orange, are they too dark, because all that affects the price. You have every right to prefer a colour that isn't considered trade ideal. It will leave room in your budget for more carats. ;-)

Thank you for the sound advice! I appreciate it very much!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
For 15K, I wonder what you might be looking at, low-1ct unheated Burmese ruby with good colour and fluorescence (saw a couple of such ruby with GRS certs on web), 10K for similar specs African ruby with similar colour but less fluorescence? Wonder if on the mark or too wishful.

With 15k and some patience you can get an awesome unheated 1ct Burmese vivid red ruby. You won’t find it in any online inventories now - you need contacts, which take time.

For 10k you can get an awesome 1.5ct African ruby with fluorescence. But again, it takes time.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always wonder how much you spent on that stone, Bron, and how you will set it.

It was in the gem haul. I paid like $100 I think for the two lots I bought from the deceased estate auction.
I doubt if I’ll set it, it would need a massive diamond semi mount as my taste is for HUGE rings. I keep my eye open all the time. My latest thought was to do a trilogy ring with the two sapphire and the ruby with a diamond halo.
My plan is to go to Lotus gemology with the two rubies and two sapphires for lab reports. My Dad is sadly terminally so I’ve decided to wait to do this trip.
83938CA4-CA6B-4509-97E2-468BB7E28A2B.jpeg 14873768-4247-48D3-B0CC-6CE4AB1DD9CF.jpeg 421AB1B7-C4A5-42B5-B3DB-47597A121480.jpeg

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
With 15k and some patience you can get an awesome unheated 1ct Burmese vivid red ruby. You won’t find it in any online inventories now - you need contacts, which take time.
For 10k you can get an awesome 1.5ct African ruby with fluorescence. But again, it takes time.

How would this one stack up, good enough for 15K?

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
It was in the gem haul. I paid like $100 I think for the two lots I bought from the deceased estate auction.
I doubt if I’ll set it, it would need a massive diamond semi mount as my taste is for HUGE rings. I keep my eye open all the time. My latest thought was to do a trilogy ring with the two sapphire and the ruby with a diamond halo.
My plan is to go to Lotus gemology with the two rubies and two sapphires for lab reports. My Dad is sadly terminally so I’ve decided to wait to do this trip.
83938CA4-CA6B-4509-97E2-468BB7E28A2B.jpeg 14873768-4247-48D3-B0CC-6CE4AB1DD9CF.jpeg 421AB1B7-C4A5-42B5-B3DB-47597A121480.jpeg

Sorry to hear about your father.

So we don’t know yet if it’s no-hear? Fingers crossed!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If only I had a spare $22 k AUD, it’s very similar shape and dimensions to my wee ruby, I could do earrings.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
If only I had a spare $22 k AUD, it’s very similar shape and dimensions to my wee ruby, I could do earrings.

I think this one is too dark and windowed. Your wee ruby is way superior

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this one is too dark and windowed. Your wee ruby is way superior

A while back my sister was complaining about the size of her diamond, how she wished it was bigger. Our 8 year old niece advised her to put it in the ground and wait for “earth forces” to make it bigger.
I was impressed with her reasoning, too bad my sister hasn’t got, oh 50 million years or so, left ha ha.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

The pictures make me think it is too dark, I am not sure it is a good buy
A while back my sister was complaining about the size of her diamond, how she wished it was bigger. Our 8 year old niece advised her to put it in the ground and wait for “earth forces” to make it bigger.
I was impressed with her reasoning, too bad my sister hasn’t got, oh 50 million years or so, left ha ha.

Eheh that’s a clever girl! My 4yo daughter brags about her 25ct synthetic ruby being MUCH BIGGER than mine.

She also brags about her huge blue ruby, which is in fact a piece of lapis :lol::lol:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@Sydneyphoenix I think it’s a bit dark and windowed. Probably nice but not 15k type of nice.

But who knows really, these pictures are in artificial light so there is no way of telling how it really looks in person and natural light. I would never take such a risk from an ebay vendor.

I managed to get a 1ct unheated Mogok ruby with AGL report stating 3/80 color for 10k. I was in touch with a ruby dealer for a while and the opportunity came up one day - I took it and am very happy with my choice.

Here a photo microgram from Billie Hughes

BCBFF6F6-911D-4BEF-8EF6-993563C3FFE6.jpeg

airplay355

Shiny_Rock

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Can it get much better for quality than this for an African ruby? Around $4000 for these, Burma premium with its fluorescence seems to triple the costs, it seems…

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Can it get much better for quality than this for an African ruby? Around $4000 for these, Burma premium with its fluorescence seems to triple the costs, it seems…

I’ve had my eyes on this one for a while. Lovely shape and color, fair price.

It’s as good as it gets for a Mugloto ruby, which is the non fluorescent, orangy-red type.
Maninga Nice rubies (also from Mozambique), which have a more pinkish tone and do fluoresce, are much rarer and closer to the Burmese material (host rock is different, they are not iron rich). They also cost twice as much, if you ever find one. Ed Bristol has a few, and they cost a fortune.

There is a video on youtube on 10 years of Mozamboque rubies. It’s a conference held by the head of GIA field gemology. It is very educational :)

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock

It’s as good as it gets for a Mugloto ruby, which is the non fluorescent, orangy-red type.
Maninga Nice rubies (also from Mozambique), which have a more pinkish tone and do fluoresce, are much rarer and closer to the Burmese material (host rock is different, they are not iron rich). They also cost twice as much, if you ever find one. Ed Bristol has a few, and they cost a fortune.

There is a video on youtube on 10 years of Mozamboque rubies. It’s a conference held by the head of GIA field gemology. It is very educational :)

So different types of Mozambique rubies! Bugger it, just will get one Mogok ruby for $15K then that will be that.

How much would you pay for this one, maybe still overpriced but 1.37ct and decent colour, Mogok-esque fluorescence so perhaps good enough for $15K if you can ever get the vendor to agree?

Last edited:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
So different types of Mozambique rubies! Bugger it, just will get one Mogok ruby for $15K then that will be that.

How much would you pay for this one, maybe still overpriced but 1.37ct and decent colour, Mogok-esque fluorescence so perhaps good enough for $15K if you can ever get the vendor to agree?

Windowed and moderately included. Pass

I agree... an attractive ruby otherwise, but the windowing would be a deal breaker for me. Some folks aren't quite as sensitive to that though, so the call would be yours. :cool2:

Sweet stone, indeed... fantastic price. Will you be indulging, Vivid? I am very fond of that vendor, as you may know.

If you've ever seen my ruby posts, you know I'm a big Moz origin lover. In my opinion, the finest East African stones can match and even rival Southeast Asian material. I think you and I have discussed this previously. But you brought up an important distinction between these 2 Montepuez mining areas. My stone is from Maninge Nice, and when I was reading about the deposit, I came across a really interesting note on the subject.

I'm paraphrasing, but the author said miners have an old saying that the best Burmese ruby is one that looks Thai, and the best Thai ruby is one that looks Burmese. In other words, it is unusual to find a Mogok stone that is pure red, as the majority veer pink or purple. Alternatively, Thai rubies lack the silk and strong red fluorescence of the Burmese material.

Muglotto rubies don't display much silk, and contain higher concentrations of iron, which, of course, darkens the color, quenches fluorescence, and can cause the hue to shift too far in the "orange" direction. So, in that respect, they are similar to Thai rubies, though the latter have even higher levels of iron, which is why they show little to no fluorescence.

By contrast, Maninge Nice rubies contain silk, but also contain just enough iron to shift their color away from pink/purple to a purer red, unlike Mogok rubies, but insufficient iron concentrations to subdue strong fluorescence. So these stones are said to possess the best of both worlds... a Burmese ruby that appears Thai, and a Thai ruby that appears Burmese.

I just thought that was a fascinating little fun fact you'd appreciate!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@Sydneyphoenix if you are serious about buying a fine Burmese ruby, don’t waste your time on ebay or on other retail websites with 10+ year old inventories. This is not where
you will find what you are looking for, i.e vivid red of medium tone and eye clean.

I can personally recommend Inken Krausen from Enhoerning Jewelry, or Robert Genis from National Gemstone. The latter is a serious ruby expert, he can source the absolute best material if you have budget and time.

Ed Bristol from Wildfish has a great inventory of fine Mozambican rubies but in the Burmese space he has mostly pinkish/purplish stuff left, which is fine but not what I think you are looking for. He can source as well, but I never worked with him on that (only bought from his inventory, which worked perfectly for me).

Buying rubies is serious business. It will be expensive no matter what you buy, which means you are better off working with serious professionals - trust me, I learned the hard way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results