shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Clarity Education

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ultimately someone paid top-top dollar for it, and it was an emotional purchase that went beyond the color scan. Nothing else (emotion, passion, desire) can justify paying such a price for a stone.

That - I think - is also true for cheaper but still expensive purchases.

I’d probably sell my right arm for the Oppenheimer blue diamond. It was $50 million, and I think worth every penny. I do admit some gems make me emotional.

I’m not into red gems, so nay to uber expensive rubies for me, and I can’t afford them!! However, they are adored.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Reactions: T L

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Looks vivid pink to me. But that's probably because I am so picky.

@T L thank goodness we are not all into the exact same thing! What you're willing to spend on an emerald, I am only willing to spend on a ruby. I think this is a good thing. Otherwise, prices would be astronomical for everything!

Do you even wonder if the color is represented correctly on her post? Look at her skin tone...pale. Has it been edited? It's a lovely lovely ring!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
All the Graff talking made me went on to Google, because I was craving for a more realistic view of the ring.
df2f0f3b2b6c476789482efefebe29be.jpg Graff Ruby.jpg graff.jpg graff-reacquires-namesake-ruby-model.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you even wonder if the color is represented correctly on her post? Look at her skin tone...pale. Has it been edited? It's a lovely lovely ring!
Don’t know? I love that color though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red_Fan, thank you for the pictures. What strikes me the most in those photos is how small the face up looks for an 8 carat stone. Cushions already face up small, and corundum density adds to that, but I’m sure in person it looks huge because of the vivid color it’s reported to have. I wish there was video of it. The second picture from the top is my favorite colorwise.

It must be incredible in person.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The last picture, it looks like a satiny (some of you might say metallic) red sheen.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
The second picture from the top is my favorite colorwise. It must be incredible in person.

+1 It's taken under that special light again tho...BAM! Became more alive!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t want to go off on a tangent here, but this chart is ridiculous. It doesn’t mention hue. tone, or saturation. So we have to rely on metaphors to determine color?? I’ll rely on GIA charts, thank you.
0346F220-43DD-45CD-AD41-FEABBC49B0D2.jpeg

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t want to go off on a tangent here, but this chart is ridiculous. It doesn’t mention hue. tone, or saturation. So we have to rely on metaphors to determine color?? I’ll rely on GIA charts, thank you.
0346F220-43DD-45CD-AD41-FEABBC49B0D2.jpeg

This is just their color chart that provides examples of the "trade name" colors. On the Lotus reports, daylight color (hue), saturation, and tone are provided for all gems, and the stone is assigned a "trade name" only if it matches their (fairly strict) criteria for these names.
https://www.lotusgemology.com/files/pdf/Sample-Lotus-Softcover-Report.pdf

Personally, I would trust Lotus over GRS or GIA any day of the week for assigning these trade names. They seem to be fairly strict with name designations for ruby/sapphire compared to GRS/GIA, especially when it comes to Padparadscha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TreeScientist, thank you for the clarification. I don’t like GIA reports for valuable colored gems, but I value their color grading system that unfortunately, they don’t use on their reports.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
i am still curious...can there be residual flux if the ruby is unheated...?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
@TreeScientist, thank you for the clarification. I don’t like GIA reports for valuable colored gems, but I value their color grading system that unfortunately, they don’t use on their reports.

This is precisely what I do not understand, they created a great system and don’t use it!!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Back to clarity talk...the Jubilee Ruby, is it more silky than the Graff but better than the Sunrise?

The Jubilee Ruby in a ring by Verdura.jpg Verdura_Ruby_Ring Jubilee Ruby.jpg
jubilee ruby1.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Handshots of the Sunrise...wow it looks dark!

sunrise.jpg sunrise-1.jpg
sunrise-2.jpg sunrise-3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are probably terrible auction house photos. If it is that color IRL, how disappointing.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Could we REALLY expect the finest be perfect looking under everything light (almost) environment though?

The Graff is more attractive for sure based on images.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could we REALLY expect the finest be perfect looking under everything light (almost) environment though?

The Graff is more attractive for sure based on images.
Well most germs look best in their optimal lighting, but a fine colored gem should never go overly dark, grey or brown in certain light sources. Fine Paraiba is an example of a gem that looks fabulous in all kinds of lighting.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well most germs look best in their optimal lighting, but a fine colored gem should never go overly dark, grey or brown in certain light sources. Fine Paraiba is an example of a gem that looks fabulous in all kinds of lighting.

I've found that fine Mahenge spinel is also one of those gems that looks good in all types of lighting. Not sure what is so special about it, but it really does hold it's color in pretty much every light. I have a small (1.09 carat) pear Mahenge spinel and it glows a beautiful reddish-pink in all lighting. No brown or grey whatsoever.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found that fine Mahenge spinel is also one of those gems that looks good in all types of lighting. Not sure what is so special about it, but it really does hold it's color in pretty much every light. I have a small (1.09 carat) pear Mahenge spinel and it glows a beautiful reddish-pink in all lighting. No brown or grey whatsoever.
That’s a really good one then, as most go more orange or brownish in fluorescent lighting.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That’s a really good one then, as most go more orange or brownish in fluorescent lighting.

It's "old stock" whatever that means haha. I think the ones from the first strike were the best. As with most finds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's "old stock" whatever that means haha. I think the ones from the first strike were the best. As with most finds.
Absolutely, I’m glad I bought most of mine back in 2010. I think it was discovered in 2007.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
If the new Thai queen's earring is made of rubies, aren't they looking kind of cloudy?

446015589.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could just be the luster making them look that way. It’s hard to tell from that photo.

Did you see QEII with her Burmese ruby tiara and necklace st the recent state visit?

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see QEII with her Burmese ruby tiara and necklace st the recent state visit?
Nope, post link or pics please!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results