shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's State Visit time for the Spanish royal couple again! This time they headed to Sweden where they're being hosted by King Carl XIV Gustav and Queen Silvia.

The royal couple was welcomed by their hosts in the Royal Mews before heading on a short carriage trip to the Royal Palace where they were joined by the rest of the Bernadottes.
1637767126856.jpeg

Queen Silvia wore one of her favourite brooches for daytime events - a gem-set butterfly and a pair of pearl button earrings with ruby bead drops.
1637767249647.jpeg

Once at the palace and without the coat, we found out that theQueen was wearing another of her treadmark jewels - a two row necklace of large antique pearls with a large clasp. rumour has it that it belonged to the King's mother, who wore it as a sautoir (I've never seen images to prove it). HM also had another jewel hidden under the coat - Queen Josefina's pearl and ruby floral brooch.
1637767702962.png

Queen Letizia wore a modern pair of earrings with an orange/champagne-coloured drop:
1637767798896.png

Tonight the Royal Couple is hosting a State Banquet for their guests and we're bound to see a ton of sparkling tiaras and other goodies!

I suspect both queens will bring out their big guns for the state banquet, and am looking forward to the bling pics!

DK :))

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Once at the palace and without the coat, we found out that theQueen was wearing another of her treadmark jewels - a two row necklace of large antique pearls with a large clasp. rumour has it that it belonged to the King's mother, who wore it as a sautoir (I've never seen images to prove it). HM also had another jewel hidden under the coat - Queen Josefina's pearl and ruby floral brooch.
1637767702962.png

Hmm. The stringing of the pearls would be a concern to me. Unless this is a special, royal way to string, to my eye, the thread looks perilously stretched. :???:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The large pearls are separated by a seed pearl and know on either side. I think that's why the thread looks stretched.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
The large pearls are separated by a seed pearl and know on either side. I think that's why the thread looks stretched.

Ooooh! That makes sense! It totally did not make sense to see what appeared to be stretched thread. LOL! Thanks for this. :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, Princess Sofie's own wedding tiara topped with pearls instead of emeralds which I had not seen before!

Glad to see Queen Letizia had pinned the central element of her own tiara to keep her sash in place.

DK :kiss2:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Windsors had their own glittering event to attend last night!
The Duchess of Cornwall was joined by the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent for the Rifles Awards Dinner at the Guildhall. The royal ladies and gent are honorary Colonels of different Battalions of the Rifles, Camilla is their Colonel-in-Chief - a position Prince Philip handed over in 2020 at his last public engagement.

The Duchess of Cornwall wore her impressive emerald demi-parure and the gem-set cap badge of the Rifles. The emerald were debuted in 2009 and a said to be a Saudi gift.
1637853343418.png
1637853964639.png

The Countess of Wessex wore a pair of multi-coloured gem-set earrings and a diamond rose brooch (maybe Cartier). The earrings form a demi-parure with a matching asymmetrical necklace.
1637853915359.jpeg
1637853936744.png

Birgitta opted for her classic Wilma Flintstone pearls and a pair of diamond Art Deco clips on her collar. These come from a bandeau and are among her favourites.
1637854172693.jpeg

ETA - The DM has an article with more photos, if you want to have a closer look at the outfits.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
State Visit day two had a retro floral vibe for both Queens.
Silvia wore a fine set of carved stone and gem-set brooch and earrings. These were popular in the 1970-1980's and even Queen Sofia of Spain has one, inherited from her mother.
1637854822447.jpeg
1637854892006.jpeg

Letizia wore a modern take on a classical deign in pale enamel and diamonds.
1637855046405.jpeg

The ladies attended a seminar on languages and translation at the Bernadotte Library and lunch at Stockholm City Hall, while the gents were at a seminar on climate change.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
A few more especially for @dk168
LGN55389818.jpg
LGN55389813.jpg

Note that Sofia is wearing a new pair of earrings:
LGN55389817.jpg

I find this one interesting, because it shows the hooks of the Brazilian earrings and the safety chain at the back of the riviere:
1637831416747.png

Two small quibbles...

1. I adore the aquamarine kokoshnik, but not with this dress. They do not compliment each other.

2. I'm surprised they haven't changed the velvet on La Buena to match Queen Letizia's hair. It still has the silvery wrap from when Sofia wore it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
If your dream Christmas present is an antique set of of cameo and intaglio jewels with imperial provenance, you must bid for these tomorrow at Sotheby's Treasures auction!

The rare gems come from the collection of Empress Josephine and were on a long-term display at the V&A in London.

Enjoy some lovely close-ups and hear their story in the video:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Aiko's coming-of-age ceremony was held yesterday at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Traditionally, the Imperial Princesses wear a long white dress complete with a diamond (and pearl) parure. Each Princess has a designated parure especially made by Mikimoto, but Aiko wore a hand-me-down from her aunt, former Princess Sayako. The parure was made for her in 1990 and she retained it following her marriage in 2005. Other processes have had to return theirs (paid for by the Imperial Household Agency), but Sayako's was paid for by Emperor Akihito and is considered personal property. Due to the pandemic, a new set was not commissioned, instead the young Princess will borrow her aunt's jewels for the time being.

Note the buttons on her overcoat - I think they are set with real pearls!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Princess Aiko's coming-of-age ceremony was held yesterday at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. Traditionally, the Imperial Princesses wear a long white dress complete with a diamond (and pearl) parure. Each Princess has a designated parure especially made by Mikimoto, but Aiko wore a hand-me-down from her aunt, former Princess Sayako. The parure was made for her in 1990 and she retained it following her marriage in 2005. Other processes have had to return theirs (paid for by the Imperial Household Agency), but Sayako's was paid for by Emperor Akihito and is considered personal property. Due to the pandemic, a new set was not commissioned, instead the young Princess will borrow her aunt's jewels for the time being.

Note the buttons on her overcoat - I think they are set with real pearls!

There is something special about Akio's smile. Most of the time they have a stiff, practiced smile that has the Imperial Household Agency (IHA) control written all over it. Her smile says to me, "I'm happy who I am even if the IHA was disappointed I wasn't a boy!"

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Nobel Prize ceremony was back...but scaled back. No tiaras.

Tiaras next year or bust!!!!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Nobel Prize ceremony was back...but scaled back. No tiaras.

Tiaras next year or bust!!!!

The Queen wore some cool earrings and dress, so not a complete disappointment. Victoria's earrings were nice and I understand they had an impressive price tag...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Queen wore some cool earrings and dress, so not a complete disappointment. Victoria's earrings were nice and I understand they had an impressive price tag...

i paid more attention to the king this time around :lol-2:

sometimes i wonder whats it like to have a king ?

but then i feel guilty becasue i want our Queen to live forever
which of course isn't very fare on either Charlie or the Queen

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You nailed it!
They come from the estate of Queen Ena and form part of the Joyas de Pasar - a collection of jewels passed from one Head of the Royal Family to another. The diamonds were taken from her small crown - a wedding present from Alfonso XIII after the family went - and repurposed by BVLGARI in the 1930's.
1637594595186.png
1637594417261.png
1637594683781.png

Personally, I'd love to see them joined together as a choker!

Thanks for researching the history. They are absolutely amazing!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is the 115th anniversary since the birth of Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent. Princess Marina and I share the same birth date, only 85 years apart.
E4H4nyRUUAUKfhb.jpeg tumblr_pg5bryN87j1r8j14io1_1280.jpeg

when was a wee girl (after HRH was already the late HRH) i was fascinated by her
pre internet age of course
(ive always been fascinated by the Queen's royal cousins - and she was their mum)
i would ask mum about her and mum would exsplain the family tree
somewhere around here i have a souviner book of the Kent's wedding

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I've read that she was cold and aloof, but more recently I've read the exact opposite - Marina was loving, easy-going and generally nice to people. I often wonder what she was really like, especially having in mind the difficulties in her childhood (no home, no money) and early death of her dashing George (and again no money). Obviously she knew very well who she was and where she belonged on the social ladder.
By the way, Marina was not only the Queen's aunt, but also her cousin-in-law! Rather fascinating!
258234-1330680420 (1).jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Birthday Prince! Sending you sparkly best wishes!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results