shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Prince, remember when you posted pictures of your tiaras? There was one that you said you made yourself? It got me wondering...could I somehow make a tiara? I started looking online, studying, and practicing. It's taken a few months, but here's the first one I feel that is postable.

Things I have learned:

1. My eyesight isn't what it used to be for fine detail work.
2. Good tools are critical.
3. Take a break or the upper back will hurt and fingers will cramp up.
4. The tiara frame feels light at first before you add stones.
5. It is way harder than I thought it would be.

Homemade1.jpg Homemade 2.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Auction alert! The princely House of Hohenzollern is selling a sapphire parure AND a sapphire tiara this May at Christie's!

The parure had belonged to Grand Duchess Stephanie of Baden (a niece of Empress Josephine), while the tiara was made for Queen Maria II or Portugal. The sapphires are large and very clear and the tiara can be worn as a series of brooches.
All pieces have been worn by Princess Birgitta of Sweden, who is also a Princess of Hohenzollern by marriage.

That parure - oh my goodness!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im not sure if its appropriate to say but HM wore a beautuful brooch at Prince Philip's funneral and the Dutchess of Cambridge was looking positively regal (and sad of course)

Last edited:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Im not sure if its appropriate to say but HM wore a beautuful brooch at Prince Philip's funneral and the Dutchess of Cambridge was looking positively regal (and sad of course)

I agree, everyone looked regal and respectful. Did you notice the brooch Lady Louise was wearing? it was a horse head with a carriage whip. I thought it was a lovely tribute to her grandfather.

I have to guess that the Richmond Brooch worn by HM had some special meaning for Philip. Given some of the amazing jewelry choices the Duke of Edinburgh made for HM (engagement ring, brooches, the wedding bracelet) I think it is a tribute to him for us to discuss the jewelry in the RF that he influenced.

My heart broke for HM Saturday morning.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Everyone's jewellery was beautiful and suitable.
My favourite from the grown-ups was Lady Mountbatten with her floral brooch and pearl drop earrings - PHOTO
Lady Louise is my overall favourite. That little brooch was an undoubtedly a present from her grandfather and reminded me just how much me and my grandfather shared a passion for horses. Seeing it was as touching (to me) as seeing the fell ponies and carriage with the Duke's empty seat.

I was surprised to see the Richmond brooch. I expected something simpler and more somber, like one of Queen Victoria's bow brooches or the pearl brooch from the Duchess of Cambridge, or something with connection to the Duke, like his diamond-set naval badge. But the Richmond brooch probably had some significance. It was also previously worn at the Sussex wedding, but that might be reading too much into it.

Camilla wore grey pearl drop earrings, but no good photos have surfaced.

Catherine's jewels were nice and appropriate (maybe an all-pearl necklace would've been better). The pearls in the earrings were a wedding present in 1947, so there's extra significance there. I wonder if the choker was designed by the late Duke?
1618929733497.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Prince, remember when you posted pictures of your tiaras? There was one that you said you made yourself? It got me wondering...could I somehow make a tiara? I started looking online, studying, and practicing. It's taken a few months, but here's the first one I feel that is postable.

Things I have learned:

This one's very pretty! Congratulations

:appl:
What did you use for the jewelled part - something you wound at a costume jewellery shop or something you made yourself? Did you solder the frame and the jewelled part? What about the pearl drops - are they detachable? Do you have pics from the back?

TELL US MORE!
Pleeeease!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
My favourite from the grown-ups was Lady Mountbatten with her floral brooch and pearl drop earrings - PHOTO
Lady Louise is my overall favourite. That little brooch was an undoubtedly a present from her grandfather and reminded me just how much me and my grandfather shared a passion for horses. Seeing it was as touching (to me) as seeing the fell ponies and carriage with the Duke's empty seat.

I was surprised to see the Richmond brooch. I expected something simpler and more somber, like one of Queen Victoria's bow brooches or the pearl brooch from the Duchess of Cambridge, or something with connection to the Duke, like his diamond-set naval badge. But the Richmond brooch probably had some significance. It was also previously worn at the Sussex wedding, but that might be reading too much into it.

Catherine's jewels were nice and appropriate (maybe an all-pearl necklace would've been better). The pearls in the earrings were a wedding present in 1947, so there's extra significance there. I wonder if the choker was designed by the late Duke?
1618929733497.png

This choker necklace (also worn by Princess Diana to a Dutch State Banquet) was a gift from the Japanese government.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

What did you use for the jewelled part - something you wound at a costume jewellery shop or something you made yourself? Did you solder the frame and the jewelled part? What about the pearl drops - are they detachable? Do you have pics from the back?

TELL US MORE!
Pleeeease!

Thank you Prince!

12 Gauge aluminum wire. No soldering. I used more wire that was twisted to hold the frame together. If you look in the center, you can see the twisted wire that is supporting it.

The rhinestones are a trim that I found at a fabric store. I used a super thin metallic thread wrapped around the trim and frame to secure it. I'm not really sure it is thread or wire...it felt like both! It worked really well though.

I also used a few small touches of metal glue to hold some of the rhinestone trim in place. There were a couple of spots where it was wanting to twist oddly. It is supposed to be special for jewelry and dry clear, but there were a couple of rhinestones on the bottom that turned cloudy after it dried.

Pearls are not detachable.

I have a second creation in the work. When you add curves, it gets A LOT harder (I may have set myself too high a bar for #2). I see at least a two more weeks of work on that one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

1618929733497.png

The Queen's brooch did have the pearl drop detached
Its good for everyone we don't do full Victorian mourning anymore
But i wonder if we'll see HM in any white and with amethyst brooches?

It must be horrible to wake up thw next day and to know he's no longer there
but the Queen has a deep religious faith, i think she will take comfort in that
Poor Charlie looked as upset as ive ever seen a royal
I just hope Camilia is in good health and lives to a ripe old age so he has her to support him
Poor little James, the youngest grand kiddie, it sux being the youngest like my sister and i, because you don't get to know your grand parents as you reach adulthood but at least Edward and Sophie made sure they saw lots of them - prepandemic
Dam covid ! :angryfire:How many other families have had to mourn like this :cry2:
Today we are having the NZ memorial for Prince Philip. I would have gone if we had still lived in Wellington

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Things I have learned:

That is pretty bl**dy awsome for a first attempt! ( or on fact a 100th attempt)
Well done !
What are the peaels?
Do they make any noise when you walk about ?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the detailed explanation, M'lady

Using a decorative glittery trim is something I've considered, too.
All that wire twisting and securing with thread is one of the reasons why I went for cardboard and glue for mine, although I realise they look more like Chaumet's marquettes than actual tiaras.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I watched the funeral on TV while I was camping - good job I opted for a pitch with a TV point as there is an issue with my own TV aerial and have no signal.

I really felt for HM having to sit on her own.

I thought the carriage with his hat and gloves laid out was a very nice touch.

I am guessing the final lowering of the coffin into the vault was too personal/intrusive to be shown on live TV. As far as I could established, the BBC's live coverage (and the repeat) only showed partial lowering.

It reminded me of my own father's funeral, in that I was able to hold back the tears until his coffin was being taken into the incinerator while I watched from the viewing room above.

DK :cry2:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

TELL US MORE!
Pleeeease!

Okay, you asked for a picture of the back. I finally remembered to take the picture! You can see a lot of the wire twisting this way. Homemade3.jpg

#2 is still a work in progress. Very slow going. Adding swirls and curves raised the difficulty level by a factor of 6.02 x 10^23.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Great to see the structure from behind. Thanks for pic :)

I once tried working with wire, but found the bending and twisting too tiresome, so extra points for not giving up!

Thank you Prince!

Wait until you see what I inflicted on myself for my second one...I know I said two weeks' worth of work...I was being awfully optimistic...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Prince!

Wait until you see what I inflicted on myself for my second one...I know I said two weeks' worth of work...I was being awfully optimistic...

But your enjoying it ? =)2
It sounds like a good winter project

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Still plugging away at the second tiara. Last night was very frustrating. I did a scroll part then when snipping the wire, accidentally snipped part of what I had already done and it all unraveled. :x2

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I took a break, then had an inspiration. I created a small hook with some wire to help me pull the thin thread wire through some of the tight spaces. It really helped! I finished all the scrolls. Now to do the base and the velvet wrap and I will be done! Hopefully just a couple more nights of work!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the Cambridges are on a wee tour of Scotland and William was given some gifts for his little family
kate got the prettiest tartan rose brooch but its fabric so im going to have to post a pic of it in the brooch forum

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HM went to visit the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier before its deployment
She wore her scarab brooch from Prince Philip

A close up from another day
gallery_1_1.jpg Screenshot_20210524-110557.png

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
It's done. I can't quite believe it. It's finally done.

It may not look like much, but it was A LOT of work.

Sad (or good, depending on how you look a it) thing is, I've already got new tools and plans for the next one!!!

Homemade Big1.jpg

Attachments

• Homemade Big2.jpg
    Homemade Big2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Homemade Big3.jpg
    Homemade Big3.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 9

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sad (or good, depending on how you look a it) thing is, I've already got new tools and plans for the next one!!!

Homemade Big1.jpg

Wow!
You did a really good job !
Enjoy the summer now !

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Homemade Big1.jpg

Congratulations! This one looks like the love child of the Spencer and Vladimir tiaras
It's obvious now that you've had some experience with tiara making already. :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And...it's the last day of school. I can't believe it. I survived. This calls for a tiara.

Last day.jpg

Such a great reason to celebrate!
Coincidently, it's prom time here in BG and I've seen a few young ladies making their tiara debuts (none of their teachers, though) :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results