shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1327452237|3110927 said:
Look at Queen Sirikit's pearls and tell me aren't they devine? Surely HM is one of the few women that have the presence to wear suche huge pearls.

The picture was taken at the celebration for the start of the Year of the Dragon in Bangkok's Chinatown:

The better pictures from the Chinese new Year @ BKK's Chinatown

13273266251327328549l.jpg

1_1_~2.jpg

news_img_431654_1_0.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I like her brooch, too. Can't tell if it's a butterfly or a flower.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at Queen Sirikit's pearls and tell me aren't they devine? Surely HM is one of the few women that have the presence to wear suche huge pearls.

Sorry. I don't like pearls that big, Bobby. On the other hand, I think Her Majesty is very beautiful in red with red lipstick. She carries that off with great verve. Not all women could, certainly not all western European monarchs!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This may have already been addressed, but can somebody please explain how the royal houses of Denmark and Greece became connected??? Since the Greek royal family is in name only, how do they support themselves and how are they allowed to continue using their royal titles? Do their gemstones belong to Greece or are they personal property?

When a royal family lives in exile, how are they allowed to keep the official jewelry and titles?

Happy Chinese New Year! I'm a Tiger!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Well done Princess Marie....I, too, am looking forward to the name of the new Princess!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1326578708|3103070 said:
Here are some pics:

mary%20ruby.jpg

daisy%20ruby%201.jpg

sonja%20danish%20ruby.jpg

sylvia%20danish%20ruby.jpg

Mary is just radiant, as always...thank you for sharing these photos!

Lori

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1327494465|3111255 said:

The picture was taken at the celebration for the start of the Year of the Dragon in Bangkok's Chinatown:

The better pictures from the Chinese new Year @ BKK's Chinatown

Looking at these pictures, I find it hard to believe that these two ladies are mother and daughter even though I know they are. Is it known why Princess Sirindhorn never married? And does she never wear jewels these days? I know that she wore at least some jewels in her youth, but hardly any now.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1327513612|3111450 said:
Sorry. I don't like pearls that big, Bobby. On the other hand, I think Her Majesty is very beautiful in red with red lipstick. She carries that off with great verve. Not all women could, certainly not all western European monarchs!

Deb/AGBF

At least you agree with me on the second part of my post ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
loriken214|1327557404|3112033 said:
This may have already been addressed, but can somebody please explain how the royal houses of Denmark and Greece became connected??? Since the Greek royal family is in name only, how do they support themselves and how are they allowed to continue using their royal titles? Do their gemstones belong to Greece or are they personal property?

When a royal family lives in exile, how are they allowed to keep the official jewelry and titles?

Happy Chinese New Year! I'm a Tiger!

Lori

Yes, I beleive we've covered this questions a couple of times here, and not only about the Greeks.
The answears are quite simple, actually. After the coup that overthrew King Otto in 1862, the Greek National Assembly elected as King Prince Wilhelm of Denmark, a younger son of the the future Christian IX of Denmark. This was a choise supported by the Great Powers.
Since the new King of Greece - Georgios I - did not renounce his Danish titles, his male line descendants bear the title and style His/Her Royal Highness Prince/ss YY/NN of Greece & Denmark.
The two families have always enjoyed good relations and these were straightened in 1964 when The King (Constantinos II) married HRH Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark, the youngest daughter of the Frederik IX of Denmark and sister of the current Queen.

The question about the money is more complex - when in exile in Rome, the King was still recognised as head of state by the junta and thus received has allowance by the Greek state. Since the end of the monarchy, however, things are a bit unclear to me, mostly because the family was never a wealthy one. As far as I know, they were supported by Queen Ingrid and by Queen Frederiki's relitives (the Hannoverians bing a wealthy family). In later years Greek tycoons have helped them financially. It is also possibe that they have used some jewels to pay for their expenses, f.e. the large diamond tiara, the huge sapphire, the diamond and pearl necklace. We know that at least the sapphire was sold, and I believe also the necklace. The large tiara may have been used as a collateral for a loan.
In the last 15+ years things have changed. In 1995 the Crown Prince married a filthy rich heiress, in 2004 The King and some other of his female relatives received a compensation from the Greek State for the loss of the Tatoi estate (though he used them to set up the Anna Maria Foundation).

About the jewls - what we now see on the various Greek royal ladies has always been considered the private property of the Greek Royal Family. The only jewels that have ever been considered Crown Jewels in Greece are a crown, orb and sceptrer, though they were the private property of the house of Wittelsbach untill 1956 (or 1959?). If the jewels belonged to the Greek state I don't see how they (the Greek authorities) would've let Mrs Anna-Maria Glücksburg wearing them in the past 40 years ;-)

Titles and jewels - It's just conviction that they should styled by their former royal titles and that their children also use these titles and styles. You're free to call them Mr Constantine and Mrs Anne-Marie (ne surname, because they never had one). I believe it's a very old rule (I don't remeber which treaty it was) that a legal monarch whose throne has been taken can keep the title for the duration of his life.
I don't think one can say that they wear any official jewels. What is worn is 100% private property and in any case represents the family's history and heritage.

Hope this answers your question, Lori!

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1327585110|3112134 said:
AGBF|1327513612|3111450 said:

At least you agree with me on the second part of my post

Definitely, and when I saw those photos I was reminded of another queen who wears red lipstick and red gowns equally well: Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark. She wore red to her son's wedding and to her own 70th birthday party in 2010 and, unlike Crown Princess Mary (who wore a red gown to the latter occasion), she wore red lipstick with her red gown both times. But then she often wears red lipstick!

Deb/AGBF

QueenMargrethe70th.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb!

Have you noticed that the gown Her Majesty wore at the gala dinner for Official Denmark to mark her 70th birthday was a reworked version of the cape she used at Frederik & Mary's wedding?
And have you also noticed that Daisy always has her nails painted in red (one think my mother likes about her), whatever the colour of her clothes and gems is?

I think most would appreciate this photo :)
bague.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the pearls in this old photo of Queen Wilhelmina (frim 1934) and this recent photo of her granddaughter Beatrix, I can't help but wonder if perhaps the pearl and diamond clasp of the necklaces in the same in both pix. Whay you you, folks, say?
trixpearlclasp.jpg
wilhelminapearls.jpg

Close-up of the pearl and diamond clasp:
pearlclasp.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night I was looking at a lot of photos of the Dutch Royal Family and a few caught my eye in terms of jewellery. These two were among themq At first glance I was impressed by the pearls, but then I also noticed the wide bracelet on HRH's hand.
At first I thohgt that it might be her Tuti-Fruti bracelet, but now I don't think like that. This one is more... dark. Can anybody recognise this bracelet?
m1ezxw0axbvp.jpg m1fz04paf4xq.jpg
http://media.nu.nl/m/m1ezxw0axbvp.jpg
http://media.nu.nl/m/m1fz04paf4xq.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, Commodore-in-Chief, Naval Medical Services, presented campaign medals for service in Afghanistan to Royal Navy and Royal Marine medical personnel on HMS Excellent in Portsmouth. For the occasion HRH wore one of me favs from her collection:
Ne4FIVRhVEzl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Commodore+Chief+Royal+Naval+Medical+Services+Ne4FIVRhVEzl.jpg

Chris Jackson/Getty Images Europe teases us with a good close-up of the brooch:
ORjo3lBCCrl_0.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Commodore+Chief+Royal+Naval+Medical+Services+_ORjo3lBCCrl.jpg

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Have never seen the brooch you posted worn by Camilla, DoC. Do you have anymore info, it's history, received on what occasion, hers or the Queens? Thanks

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1327354365|3109869 said:
AmayasV|1327169435|3108298 said:
HM The Queen of Thailand with her favorite emerald set.

sirikit.jpg

I know thiese are nice emerald jewels (I wouldn't really call them a set) and I can understand why Her Majesty likes them, but I wish she'd wear some other pieces from her extensive collection more often.

By the way, AmayasV, do you have other recent and glittering photos of Queen Sirikit?

Bobby

20060612-134546-King-60th.jpg

20060612-172930-King-60th.jpg

K6844924-105.jpg

13247361971324736214l_0.jpg

K8624048-22_0.jpg

K6844924-63.jpg

K6844924-144.jpg

K6844924-106.jpg

K6844924-80.jpg

K6844924-82.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Her collection is blinding! The emeralds make me melt all over the keyboard and her rubies turn even this non-ruby-lover into a fan. Her ruby/diamond necklace is spectacular. I also love the fabric of her skirt in the top pic, gorgeous.

Thanks, AmayasV!

--- Laurie

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1327851693|3114189 said:
Her collection is blinding! The emeralds make me melt all over the keyboard and her rubies turn even this non-ruby-lover into a fan. Her ruby/diamond necklace is spectacular. I also love the fabric of her skirt in the top pic, gorgeous.

Thanks, AmayasV!

--- Laurie

June 12, 2006 The foreign monarchs and royals representatives pay tribute to the Sixtieth Anniversary Celebrations of His Majesty King Bhumibol's Accession to the Throne at Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall.

60year.jpg

20060612-151142-King-60th.jpg

20060612-135720-King-60th.jpg

20060612-135718-King-60th.jpg

20060612-135832-King-60th-1.jpg

20060612-141254-King-60th.jpg

20060612-143432-King-60th.jpg

20060612-134552-King-60th.jpg

20060612-142158-King-60th.jpg

20060612-152024-King-60th.jpg

20060612-142918-King-60th.jpg

20060612-152710-King-60th.jpg

20060612-142650-King-60th.jpg

20060612-143956-King-60th.jpg

20060612-150106-King-60th.jpg

I never seen it before CP Maxima wore Princess Marbel's wedding tiara.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Magnificent photos and jewels, AmayasV. There are a few pix that I've not seen before and all these emeralds make my mouth water...
BTW, the first and the second photos are also from the celebrations for the Diamond Jubilee

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I second the applause for the pictures! :appl: I also always love to see pictures of Princess Lalla Salma...I love her hair!

And yes, it surprised me too seeing CP Maxima wearing Mabel's tiara. It looks better on Maxima. I'll stop there so as not to upset Win with another one of my rants on Mabel's "bow"-tiful fashion sense!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1327863044|3114297 said:
June 12, 2006 The foreign monarchs and royals representatives pay tribute to the Sixtieth Anniversary Celebrations of His Majesty King Bhumibol's Accession to the Throne at Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall.

60year.jpg

This was perhaps the most glittering event of the frst decade. I alwasy enjoy looking at photos from the Fiamond Jubilee. Surely HM The King of Thailand showed them how it should be done!
I shall mention that AmayasV's photos only show the lesser of two tiara events!
At the second tiara occasion we saw:
The Queen of Spain with the large tiara by Ansorena
The Queen of Sweden with the amethyst parure + bracelet
The Queen of Brunei with her emerald tiara
The Queen of Malaysia with diamonds and rubies
The Queen of Lesotho with her modern fringe tiara & sapphire jewels
Princess Lalla Salma with emeralds and diamonds (though without a tiara, her jewels were breathtaking!)
Crown Princess of Norway with the amethyst parure (sans collier)
Princess Maxima with the biamond bandeau
The Duchess of Brabant with her wreath tiara

I hope we'll see at least a fraction of this splendour later this year in London ;-)

I never seen it before CP Maxima wore Princess Marbel's wedding tiara.

HRH has worn the tiara a couple of other times in the Netherlands, one of the events being again in 2006.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And here's a photo of HM The Queen from the second evening. Her riviere seems to have been extended, don't you think? And is ir just me. or is the pendant briolette-cut?
sirikitdjg.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The Queen's diamonds make me breathless. What a magnificent tiara! My monitor isn't detailed enough to tell about the drop diamond, Bobby. Looks like a combination of cuts from here.

Doesn't Queen Sylvia look marvelous! Lalla Salma as always, with her Ripkin evening purse. The fabrics of the ladies' dresses are as drooly as the jewels. I want to keep Lalla Salma's caftan!

Also get a kick out of Maxima & Willem having some sort of private snicker together. They are a ray of sunshine. I'll bet their children will be special people with the combination of Maxima's Latin & personal humor & lightness & the old Dutch genes. I'm married to a Dutchman & lived in Holland for a number of years -- the leavening Maxima provides is a gift!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone tell me why Princess Lalla Salma does not wear tiaras, even at events like this? I think the only time I've seen her in a tiara was the Greek Key one she wore for her wedding.

Same question for Sheikha Moza...the ladies of Brunei have shown us many ways a tiara can be incorperated with a head covering.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1328028441|3115601 said:
Can anyone tell me why Princess Lalla Salma does not wear tiaras, even at events like this? I think the only time I've seen her in a tiara was the Greek Key one she wore for her wedding.

Same question for Sheikha Moza...the ladies of Brunei have shown us many ways a tiara can be incorperated with a head covering.

Well, to me at least a tiara worn a kaftan looks rather strange. It's almost like wearing fine jewellery with a kimono. So this may be a reason why we only see Moroccan royals with tiaras on their wedding days.
And even though we see Sheikha Mozah with fine clothes (even gowns) it's just not how it's done in Quatar. Even in Thailand and Brunei the Queen is the only one to wear a tiara, if I'm not mistaken (though the former Thai CPss wore a ruby tiara once).
At least Princess Lalla Salma and Sheikha Mozah brought some very fine jewels with them ;-)

Here's a fine exmple of how to wear a tiara with a headcovering - HM The Queen of Brunei at the Diamond Jubilee celebrtions in Thailand, 2006:
qbru_thaidj.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
To me, that's an illustration of how NOT to wear a tiara. It's absolutely gorgeous, but she would look better with the gems somewhere else, or in some other form on her head (can't think what).

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1327886782|3114543 said:
And here's a photo of HM The Queen from the second evening. Her riviere seems to have been extended, don't you think? And is ir just me. or is the pendant briolette-cut?
sirikitdjg.jpg

I think I was wrong to assume that the diamond is briolette-cut. Looking at this photo where the pendant is twisted, I can see that it's pear-shaped. Love the glitter of the old diamonds
BTW, this is the best photo I could find after looking at hundreds of photos from the receiving line before the gala dinner....
diamondpeandant_sirikit.jpg

This is cropped from a crystal clear photo of Queen Sirikit and Queen Silvia kissing each other. If only it was showing the pendant... At least we see the collets and the small suspension hook:
diamondcollets_sirikit.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1328047950|3115847 said:
To me, that's an illustration of how NOT to wear a tiara. It's absolutely gorgeous, but she would look better with the gems somewhere else, or in some other form on her head (can't think what).

I agree that HM looks rather odd when wearing a tiara. This is not to my taste either.
I think that the only Brunei royal lady to look nice with a tiara was the former HRH Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar, but then again her tiara wasmore balanced than the one The Queen wears, and HRH didn't use a headcovering (only a veil).

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here's something that occured to me the other day - were some of the royal ladies wrong to wear tiaras at the first gala? It looks like it was a daytime event, and we know that tiaras are not to be worn before 5 p.m. (the odd bride being an exception), though white tie is. After all, the hostess didn't wear one and it looks liek she's wearing a formal day dress (compared to the dress from the banquet), Would the only royal guests to have had it right be The Queen of Lesotho and The Duchess of Brabant?

JewelFreak|1327928177|3114773 said:
Doesn't Queen Sylvia look marvelous! Lalla Salma as always, with her Ripkin evening purse. The fabrics of the ladies' dresses are as drooly as the jewels. I want to keep Lalla Salma's caftan!

--- Laurie

I'm more in favour of the gown from the banquet (see photo). Actually, I'm glad that the skirt has been shortened and this has now become a formal suit. I certainly hated it at the Japanese State Visit.The hair, though, was marvelous at both tiara events, IMHO.
20060613-200850-King-60th.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1327928177|3114773 said:
The Queen's diamonds make me breathless. What a magnificent tiara!

--- Laurie

Or rather a magnificent necklace on tiara frame ;-)

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results