shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
WOW I've finally made it to the end all 355 pages.

I love all these tiaras two of my favourites would have to be the GGBI and the Portuguese Boucheron Lily of the Valley. Many of the custodians of these jewels have customised them over the years to their taste. What interests me is why hasn't QEQM or QEII not added to the Vladimir tiara by commissioning drops made of other gems to use as well. That Tiara would look stunning with Aquamarine, Pink Sapphire/Topaz, Ruby, Citrine etc.. drops as well.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Could someone please talk about the portuguese royal family jewels. What is still with the family? Who owns the Portuguese Boucheron Lily of the Valley tiara? I don't think the current head of the family has many of the jewels, since I have only seen his wife in a few pieces (would love for someone to correct me on that one and post some great photos). I have also seen pictures of Barbara Hutton wearing some of the portuguese family jewels. So I have to ask what does the family own, what was sold off when the family went in exile or later to live off of, and what is owned by the Portuguese government?

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
While the official Diamond Jubilee celebrations aren't until June, tomorrow marks the day that Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II on the death of her father. Hellomagazine just posted a series on it, including this picture which looks like a Parliment opening.

We see Princess Anne wearing the Festoon tiara, but what about the two ladies behind her? I am guessing they are ladies-in-waiting or some other title, like Mistress of the Robes or something? They are both wearing tiaras and have Elizabeth II's personal order on the yellow ribbon.

Anyone with more info? Bobby?

queen-marriage-14--a.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Here's a (wikipedia) list of female participants at the coronation:

Her Majesty's Train borne by
The Mistress of the Robes
assisted by the Maids of Honour
Mary Cavendish, Dowager Duchess of Devonshire
Lady Jane Antonia Frances Vane-Tempest-Stewart
Lady Mary Baillie-Hamilton
Lady Anne Veronica Coke
Lady Nancy Jane Marie Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby
Lady Moyra Kathleen Hamilton
Lady Rosemary Mildred Spencer-Churchill

Ladies of the Bedchamber
(Ann) Fortune FitzRoy, Countess of Euston
Lady Elizabeth Mary Yorke, Countess of Leicester
Women of the Bedchamber
Lady Alice Egerton
Mrs. Alexander Abel Smith (Henriette Alice Cadogan), DCVO
Lady Margaret Hay (Lady Margaret Katherine Seymour)
Hon. Mrs. Andrew Elphinstone (Jean Frances Hambro)

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I don't know why I posted a list of coronation participants! I was looking at something else. I meant to post this list of known recipients QEII's order:

Deceased

HM Queen Mary, Queen consort of George V and grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II

HM Queen Elizabeth, Queen consort of George VI and mother of Queen Elizabeth II

HRH Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood, aunt of Queen Elizabeth II

HRH Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, first cousin twice removed of Queen Elizabeth II (Princess Alice was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria and first cousin to George V, Elizabeth II's grandfather. Princess Alice was also a great grand aunt of Queen Elizabeth II through her marriage to Queen Mary's younger brother.

HRH Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent, aunt of Queen Elizabeth II

HRH Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, sister of Queen Elizabeth II

HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, aunt of Queen Elizabeth II

HRH The Princess of Wales, daughter-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II (née Diana Frances Spencer; later Diana, Princess of Wales. Prince Charles' first wife and daughter-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II)

Current

HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Anne, daughter of Queen Elizabeth II)
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall (née Camilla Rosemary Shand, Prince Charles' second wife and daughter-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II)
HRH The Countess of Wessex (née Sophie Helen Rhys-Jones, wife of Prince Edward and daughter-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II)
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester (née Birgitte Eva van Deurs, wife of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester)
HRH The Duchess of Kent (née Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley, wife of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, cousin of Queen Elizabeth II)
HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy (youngest granddaughter of King George V and Queen Mary)
HG The Dowager Duchess of Grafton (Ann Fortune FitzRoy, Mistress of the Robes to Queen Elizabeth II)

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Got one of them! The lady on the left I believe is the Dowager Duchess of Grafton. See this known photo from the 1990s.

duchess%20grafton.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few photos of the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II, which is given out to female members of The Royal Family (and, it appears, to some other women as well if the Dowager Duchess of Grafton is not royal.)

The Queen, herself, wears the Royal Family Orders of her father and her grandfather.

"Royal family orders in Britain originated during George IV's reign and continue to this day. You will see them on British royal ladies at gala occasions, and rarely at other occasions; the Queen and other ladies of the royal family wore George VI's order at his funeral, for example. Queen Elizabeth II's order is a portrait of herself painted on ivory in a diamond frame topped by a Tudor crown and set on a pale yellow silk bow. Her cypher adorns the back side."

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

QueenElizabethRoyalFamilyOrderCloseUp.jpg

TheRoyalFamilyOrderofElizabethII.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF - isn't ivory banned in England? That seems very much at odds with using it as the base for the family order.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Most likely the miniatures are now of another material, ivory facsimile, or the RF works off a supply of ivory laid by long before the ban on imports. Those of the Countess of Wessex & the Duchess of Cornwall seem to be the last awarded; Kate doesn't have it yet but probably will eventually, either from Elizabeth or given by Charles after he becomes king. Here's more interesting info on it:

The "Tudor" style of crown was adopted during the reign of Edward VII and used in the reigns of George V, Edward VIII and George VI. It was actually designed in the last years of Victoria's reign but there is a time frame for the introduction of new heraldric items so it didn't come into use until after her death. It was at first called the Imperial Crown, reflecting the Emperor of India style in the royal titles. The design was based on old drawings of Henry VII's crown.

When Elizabeth II came to the throne it was first decided to continue the Tudor style, but the Garter King of Arms thought that since the Queen was no longer an Empress a "Royal" Crown would be more appropriate than an "Imperial" crown. He proposed a new design to look more like the St. Edward's Crown that the Queen is crowned with. The Committe on Honors and Medals of the Mint agreed. The proposals was sent to the Queen who liked it and the new design was adopted. Thus this style crown is what we see today.

The new sovereign can, however, make any change he/she wants and it will be designed by the College of Heralds. Then there is usually a five or so year wait as the changes are made to the coins, stamps, signs, letterheads, etc. Perhaps when and if Charles becomes king he will make further changes.

--- Laurie

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW--I have the new bio of Queen Elizabth II by Sally Beddel Smith. Well written, breezy with a lot of pictures I hadn't seen before. The author shows the many sides of the Queen, some not readily seen by the public.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1328471674|3119644 said:
While the official Diamond Jubilee celebrations aren't until June, tomorrow marks the day that Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II on the death of her father. Hellomagazine just posted a series on it, including this picture which looks like a Parliment opening.

We see Princess Anne wearing the Festoon tiara, but what about the two ladies behind her? I am guessing they are ladies-in-waiting or some other title, like Mistress of the Robes or something? They are both wearing tiaras and have Elizabeth II's personal order on the yellow ribbon.

Anyone with more info? Bobby?

Hi Maria!

Yes, you are right that this a photo from a State Opening of Parliament. More precisely from the 1979 "eddition". I believe this is only the second (and last) time that Her Majesty has worn a coloured gem necklace at this event (the first time being in 1975, again with the Baring rubies).
The lady on the left behind HRH The Princess Anne (as she was then) is already correctly identified as Her Grace The Duchess of Grafton (she wouldn't become Dowager Duchesss untill last year), who was and still is the Mistress of the Robes to Her Majesty The Queen. The lady next to HG must be The Countess of Airlie - Her Majesty's Lady of the Bedchamber. However, neither of them is wearing the Family Order, as it's only given to members of the royal family. What they are wearing are, in fact, the badges of a Mistress of the Robes and Lady/Woman of the Bedchamber to HM The Queen (on yellow and pink ribbon, respectively!). They are also wearing the Royal Victorian Order (DCVO, I'd assume).

Some photos of Elizabeth II's ladies-in-waiting can be seen in Tiaras.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1328539803|3120077 said:
I found a few photos of the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II, which is given out to female members of The Royal Family (and, it appears, to some other women as well if the Dowager Duchess of Grafton is not royal.)

The Queen, herself, wears the Royal Family Orders of her father and her grandfather.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

Here you can take a closer look of Elizabeth II's Family Order - http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/78...518FB269DA4F80481A6339A50AC0E880611AB1D0C100C
* I wouldn't trust Wikipedia for every detail, so I can very well imagine that The Queen's image is painted on porcelain ;-)

PS: Yes, the DDss of Grafton is not a royal lady, though her late husband's family descends from royalty. As I have explained, Her Grace has not been awarded the Royal Family Order of Elizabeth II.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On the occasion of the 60th year since The Queen's ascension to the Throne, the Royal Household has published two glittering photos of HM The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. The new photos can be seen (and saved) in the following link - http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/official-diamond-jubilee-photographs

A further photo is to be published later this week. I suppose we'll see The Queen with The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge, possibly also thier spouses (hopefully in the same glittering atmosphere).

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Close-up of Benedikte's tiara from the Diplomatic dinner. She must have changed the emerald for a diamond.

benedikte.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have a better photo of the ear rings the Duchess of Cambridge wore last night to the Freud art exhibit? Wondering if we have seen them before. Thanks

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They look like these earrings, which she has worn before:

jul30-11cluster2.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
This isn't strictly about jewels, though a few are mentioned, but a fun article on the change in QE's style, which we've commented on here. Love all the pics but especially the first one where she's wearing the Jardine Star. She has the best talent I've ever seen for exactly the right place to perch a brooch on her shoulder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2099632/How-Queen-fashion-style-icon.html

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I stumbled on this picture recently. It sure looks like Queen Victoria's small sapphire tiara that is now with the Countess of Harewood. But, I'd never heard of pieces that went with it (looks like a bracelet and necklace in the picture). So where are the bracelet and necklace now?

I know QEII was given a sapphire necklace when she got married (and later had a diamond and sapphire tiara made to go with it) but I don't think this is the one. I can't tell in the picture I have.

Would the necklace in the picture also be with the Countess of Harewood?

QueenVictoriaSapphireTiaraPrincessMaryWeddingGift.jpg

Sapphire & Diamond Tiara (1963) for Queen Elizabeth II 7.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1329069631|3124702 said:
I stumbled on this picture recently. It sure looks like Queen Victoria's small sapphire tiara that is now with the Countess of Harewood. But, I'd never heard of pieces that went with it (looks like a bracelet and necklace in the picture). So where are the bracelet and necklace now?

I know QEII was given a sapphire necklace when she got married (and later had a diamond and sapphire tiara made to go with it) but I don't think this is the one. I can't tell in the picture I have.

Hi Lady Maria,

No these aren't the same as HM's sapphires, these were a gift from George V to his daughter HRH The Princess Mary on her marrage to Viscount Lacelles - later the Earl of Harewood. George V started out with the Sapphaire tiara of Queen Victoria and added some other pieces and had them all put in a presentation set as a paure.

The set in the picture of HM QEII is a mixture. The necklace and earrings are as you say the gift of her father George VI upon her maraige. The Tiara was made later, after his death, I think in the 1960s, for QEII.

PRMary.jpg
In this picture Mary, now The Princess Royal, Countess of Hearwood, wears the above set, but has had a sapphire broach added to the centre of another tiara. there is also a necklace bought from a Russian Grand Duke, also in sapphires, that she is wearing as a deviant corsage. Also seen in this picture from her brother's coronation in 1937.

RoyalFamcoro.jpg

Best wishes,

Neil

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1328574583|3120485 said:
On the occasion of the 60th year since The Queen's ascension to the Throne, the Royal Household has published two glittering photos of HM The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. The new photos can be seen (and saved) in the following link - http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/official-diamond-jubilee-photographs

A further photo is to be published later this week. I suppose we'll see The Queen with The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge, possibly also thier spouses (hopefully in the same glittering atmosphere).

Bobby

I think in these pictures HM is wearing the diamond bracelet that HRH Prince Phillip gave her, made from diamonds fron the same tiara of his mother's from which the diamonds in her engagment ring came:

diamond%20bracellet.jpg

Wonderful to see her in the Sate Diadem for these pictures. Interestingly, and I only found this out a few weeks ago, the Diadem is the only item of the Crown Jewels or personal jewels of HM that contains fancy coloured diamonds, in this case some yellow ones. I somehow thought that there would be more. I know it was orignianlly made for a man to wear (George IV) and that it was worn with a velvet cap and ermin trim. Also, the ornaments between the crosses are a rose, a thistle and shamrock.

StateDiadem_0.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1328543886|3120117 said:
AGBF - isn't ivory banned in England? That seems very much at odds with using it as the base for the family order.

Here in the UK ivory is banned if it is from after 1947. So the RF either have a stash from before then, or plaques are pocillin or silk. or they could be that organis ivory stuff (can't think of the techical name, but its a nut i think). Don't Orders belonging to those that have passed away get returned to the Crown and redistrabuted? or have I imagined that?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1329069631|3124702 said:

As Neil has already said, the small sapphire tiara comes from the collection of Queen Victoria, and is still with the Earl of Harewood. The necklace, pendant and bracelet also come from Queen Victoria's jewellery trove. The larger pendant, originally a brooch, was birthday present from Prince Albert in 1845. About it The Queen wrote in her Journal "a beautiful single sapphire brooch, set round in diamonds, much like the beauty he gave at our marriage, only not quite so large". Both necklace and bracelet were sold after The Princess Royal's death by the (now late) Earl of Harewood. I'm not sure what the faith of the pendant was, but it may've been sold, as well.

In this photo you can clearly read the sapphire parure's provenance:
3319866Princess%20Royal,%20Mary%20.jpg
http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/33...C5D1F5AF8E0AC66F1C8273676C3A50ACFB0318981C9EF

And this is a photo of the necklace alone - 14 sapphire and diamond clusters, 43 cm, sold for GBP 8000; no mention of the link to Queen Victoria was made:
queenvictoriasapphirenecklace.jpg

The large sapphire & diamond brooch, a present from Queen Mary, sold for GBP 10500 as a Highly important sapphire and diamond brooch / 7.x.70

Queen Elizabeth II's sapphire tiara was made from a collier/devrant-de-corsage that had belonged to Princess Louise of Belgium.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1329077147|3124857 said:
[
Wonderful to see her in the Sate Diadem for these pictures. Interestingly, and I only found this out a few weeks ago, the Diadem is the only item of the Crown Jewels or personal jewels of HM that contains fancy coloured diamonds, in this case some yellow ones. I somehow thought that there would be more. I know it was orignianlly made for a man to wear (George IV) and that it was worn with a velvet cap and ermin trim. Also, the ornaments between the crosses are a rose, a thistle and shamrock.

What about the Wattle brooch?
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...th/MicroObject.asp?row=96&themeid=944&item=96

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Also the Williamson diamond brooch. This will be on display for her Jubilee, one of the few times it's been available to the public (except when she wears it).

williamsonbrooch.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1329137370|3125231 said:
neil31uk|1329077147|3124857 said:
[

What about the Wattle brooch?
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...th/MicroObject.asp?row=96&themeid=944&item=96

Yes the Walltle brooch came to me as I went ot bed last night. can we think of any more yellow diamonds?

250030.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1329146854|3125301 said:
Also the Williamson diamond brooch. This will be on display for her Jubilee, one of the few times it's been available to the public (except when she wears it).

I can't wait to go and see this in the summer, tickets booked!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results