clarity

Royal Jewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2008 8:26:43 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
hello all!!!
i love coming here to this thread and chatting with you all! i feel as if i''ve been a part of it all for longer then i actually have. so, forgive me if i indulge myself for a moment, we all know how much we LOVE LOVE LOVE jewels! and since finding great pics of royals wearing their jewels can be a difficult task, i thought i''d love to show you all a few it''s not so hard to get pics of...they are my own..and although i''m not royal...don''t let that make you think less of the jewels! LOL! so, first i''m posting a pic of me, first so you can all see me! and second so you can have an idea of the scale of these pieces i have ...the pectoral is the reproduction i had done in egypt of the royal princess sithathoriunet''s piece, and it''s a joy to have....you can also see in this pic, the reproduction of the royal bracelet of queen ahhotep..both of these pieces are reproduced in 22 karat solid gold and are fully hand made and fully hand set with the stones lapis, carnelian and turquoise...the rings i have on i''ll add some other pics of for you..but if you can see them ok they are a ruby and diamond piece, ruby is 8 carats, a sapphire ring, sapphire is 7 carats, and an emerald...just for all you emerald lovers! it''s 4 carats.
enjoy!
Those are lovely pictures of you Sithathoriunet! Where the heck did you get an 8 carat ruby. You need to post that in Show Me the Ring and tell us more about it!!! I''ve seen large sapphires and emeralds before, but never a nice ruby that size. You have beautiful jewels!!

BTW, Diana''s sapphire was supposed to be around 8 carats from what I heard, and it looks that large as well.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
these beautiful russian jewels have such a horro story behind them, from the brutal murder of The Romanoff royal family in 1914. such a terrible thing to have happen to anyone. RIP

Romano23.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 10:23:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

hello all!!!

i love coming here to this thread and chatting with you all! i feel as if i''ve been a part of it all for longer then i actually have. so, forgive me if i indulge myself for a moment, we all know how much we LOVE LOVE LOVE jewels! and since finding great pics of royals wearing their jewels can be a difficult task, i thought i''d love to show you all a few it''s not so hard to get pics of...they are my own..and although i''m not royal...don''t let that make you think less of the jewels! LOL! so, first i''m posting a pic of me, first so you can all see me! and second so you can have an idea of the scale of these pieces i have ...the pectoral is the reproduction i had done in egypt of the royal princess sithathoriunet''s piece, and it''s a joy to have....you can also see in this pic, the reproduction of the royal bracelet of queen ahhotep..both of these pieces are reproduced in 22 karat solid gold and are fully hand made and fully hand set with the stones lapis, carnelian and turquoise...the rings i have on i''ll add some other pics of for you..but if you can see them ok they are a ruby and diamond piece, ruby is 8 carats, a sapphire ring, sapphire is 7 carats, and an emerald...just for all you emerald lovers! it''s 4 carats.

enjoy!

Those are lovely pictures of you Sithathoriunet! Where the heck did you get an 8 carat ruby. You need to post that in Show Me the Ring and tell us more about it!!! I''ve seen large sapphires and emeralds before, but never a nice ruby that size. You have beautiful jewels!!

BTW, Diana''s sapphire was supposed to be around 8 carats from what I heard, and it looks that large as well.
hi back to you tourmaline lover!!!!
thankyou so much for your kind words...the ruby is burmese.here''s another pic of it.i had it imported, it went through a dealer friend of mine..they are out there....:)i have all my jewels imported, not because i enjoy the stress of having them imported, but because it is so very hard to find anything here where i live in canada of any significant size and uniqueness...if that is a word! and since i enjoy having jewels that are unique, i must look far and wide to find them!:) as for di''s ring..yes, everyone has hear a different size..i know..and i have heard it''s anywere from 5 all the way up to 18 karats! which would be humourus..as it would have been just huge on her little fingers! now, the actual jeweler who made the ring, or who supplied it to the royals said it was between 5 to 9 carast, and since the size appears to be very similar to my own, and mine is 7 carats, i believe it looks to be big simply because of the large diamonds that surround it...for instance, my ruby, the 8 carat, is very very close in actual size to my sapphire, however, it tends to appear a bit bigger only because the stones surrounding it are larger in the ruby ring then in the sapphire ring..so, in my view, i do think di''s ring could very well be around 8 carats, but since in the pics i have seen it is always about the same size as my own, i''m leaning towards about 7...but with only 1 carat difference, at least we''ve narrowed it down from the 5 to 18 guess work eh????? LOL!!!!!! I LOVE JEWELS! and hey, if you want to know anything more about my jewels, please feel free to ask..:)

hhhhru.jpg

Michi

Rough_Rock
Really interesting posts, Sithathoriunet! I''m enjoying your pics. Just a point of confusion. I thought the Sotheby''s Lily Marinho sale was last May, not last week. Was there second auction (the only reason why I know is I was watching a particular item in that sale)?

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 10:39:03 PM
Author: Michi
Really interesting posts, Sithathoriunet! I''m enjoying your pics. Just a point of confusion. I thought the Sotheby''s Lily Marinho sale was last May, not last week. Was there second auction (the only reason why I know is I was watching a particular item in that sale)?
lol..ooops, no, i just copied a post about it and forgot to change the info, sorry about that!
jenna:)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2008 10:23:35 PM

hello all!!!

enjoy!

tourmaline lover....here''s a cropped pic of my two rings together, so you can kind of see the size is pretty similar, the 8 carat ruby and the 7 carat sapphire, the thing that makes the ruby appear so much bigger are the surrounding stones..they frame the rings differently...sometimes i think about having the sapphire reset with larger stones around it just so it would look larger , but i really love it the way it is though...so, then i change my mind! LOL

meringssssssss8.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hey tourmaline lover! i was wondering, what is the Show me the ring you mentioned? and how do you use it?

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this ruby ring sold for well over one million dollars!
below i added a neat article about ''the powers of ruby!''..it''s a fun read and quite informative as well..enjoy!
jenna

Dr. Nitish Priyadarshi
October 01, 2008
Ruby is an excellent stone for energy. Imparting vigor to life, it energizes and balances but may sometimes over stimulate in delicate or irritable people. Ruby encourages passion for life but never in a self-destructive way. It improves motivation and setting of realistic goals.

Most rubies come from Sri Lanka, but the best quality stones are mined in Burma. The rich red wine colour of these jewels is enhanced by electric light so it is always advisable to examine them in natural day light before purchase.

Because of its colour, the ruby has always been associated with healing diseases of the blood. Eastern mythology calls it ´a drop of blood from Mother Earth´s heart´.

Red colour of ruby is due to Cr2 03 present in solid solution. In low concentration colour is pale, inclining to pink. With a concentration between 1% and 4%, colour deepens. Some amount of iron is generally present in ruby, which reduces the richness of red shale. With a higher amount of iron ruby turns brownish. Chromium rich rubies impart red fluorescence. Iron rich rubies may not fluorescence at all.

Different crystals now a days are used in medical practices. They are piezoelectric, which means that electricity, and sometimes light, is produced by compression. This property is harnessed in ultrasound machines, which use a piezoelectric crystal to produce a sound wave. Sound is now being applied at the leading edge of the surgery. A tightly focused beam of ultrasound can cauterize wounds deep within the body and blast tumors without the need for invasive procedures.

Crystals were created as the earth formed and they have continued to metamorphose as the planet itself has changed. Crystals are the earth´s DNA, a chemical imprint for evolution. They are the miniature storehouses, containing the records of the development of the earth over million of years.

Rubies have a hardness of 9.0 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. Among the natural gems only diamond is harder, with a Mohs 10.0 by definition.

All natural rubies have imperfections in them, including color impurities and inclusions of rutile needles known as "silk". Gemologists use these needle inclusions found in natural rubies to distinguish them from synthetics, simulants, or substitutes. Usually the rough stone is heated before cutting. Almost all rubies today are treated in some form, with heat treatment being the most common practice. However, rubies that are completely untreated are still of excellent quality and command a large premium.

Its color varies from deep cochineal to pale rose red, in some cases inclining to purple, the most valued tint being that know to experts as pigeon´s blood color. On exposure to a high temperature the ruby becomes green, but regains its original color on cooling-a behavior which is consistent with the supposition that the stone owes its color to the presence of oxide of chromium, and indeed in artificial rubies the required tint is always obtained by the use of some compound of chromium.

Ruby stimulates the heart chakra and balances the heart. It promotes positive dreams and clear visualization, and stimulates the pineal gland.

Physically Ruby overcomes exhaustion and lethargy and imparts potency and vigor. Conversely, it calms hyperactivity.

Ruby detoxifies the body, blood and lymph, and treats fever, infectious disease, and restricted blood flow. It stimulates the adrenals, kidneys, reproductive organs and spleen.

In Ancient Greece it was thought that rubies and other crystals could be either male or female. Stones with stronger colours were said to be male while paler varieties of the same crystal indicated that they were female. The ruby is one of several stones said to foretell death. If its colour paled or changed to black, the wearer´s life was in danger.

MCT_200708_12_Z.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/13/2008 10:53:31 AM
hey tourmaline lover! i was wondering, what is the Show me the ring you mentioned? and how do you use it?
Oh, "Show me the Ring" is just another part of the forum. You need to show off your beauties there so more people will see them!! I actually like your ruby better than Diana''s sapphire. No offense to Princess Diana, but I always thought her sapphire looked so dark (maybe it''s just how it photographed). I also love the Sarah Fergusson''s ruby, but yours puts hers to shame!!! Did you get the ruby certified through a major gem lab? It''s gorgeous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the famous Graff ruby - supposed to be the finest in the world, and owned by the famous jewelry store founder.

graff_ruby_lot.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:27:56 PM
Date: 10/13/2008 10:53:31 AM

Oh, ''Show me the Ring'' is just another part of the forum. You need to show off your beauties there so more people will see them!! I actually like your ruby better than Diana''s sapphire. No offense to Princess Diana, but I always thought her sapphire looked so dark (maybe it''s just how it photographed). I also love the Sarah Fergusson''s ruby, but yours puts hers to shame!!! Did you get the ruby certified through a major gem lab? It''s gorgeous!
hey tourmaline lover!
well, i''ll have to go try it then! sounds like fun! and thankyou so much, i''m flattered that you would like my ruby so much! do you have rubies since you love them so? i have to say, i love all three of the big gems, emerald, ruby and sapphire...it''s so hard to choose..i end up wearing them all when really i shouldn''t because it just looks too much! LOL...the ruby is natural, untreated..and came through a certified dealer who is my friend.he is a gemologist...i met him long ago when i had had a large garnet damaged by a jeweler trying to size a ring for me..so i went to him via another friend and asked his advice. he confirmed the stone had been heat fractured..eeek..anywho, he''s great at what he does..now, i''ve studied gems for a long time and i know quite a lot about them and can identify on my own, but it''s always good i think to have a certified gemologist have a look as well!!!!as for rubies...i''ve had several in the past, but this one took the cake! so to speak...;-)
i''ll give the show me the ring thing a try! as for the pic attached, just a great ruby broach! i found no info on it though..but it sure is pretty!

#557.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, if it would list it would be pretty..:)

brbr557.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 12:29:50 PM
Here''s the famous Graff ruby - supposed to be the finest in the world, and owned by the famous jewelry store founder.
i saw this ring before...and wow! what a beauty!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
here''s a very unique ruby ring in 18 karat gold. so royal and antique looking!

Ruby-Ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this one is worth something in the area of a mear $300,000 woe.

PSAL_008_Z.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this is a burmese ruby..some of these rubies are the most sought after on the planet

bulgari_ruby_ring_1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this one, tasteful and regal. perhaps a royal will wear it some day?

293ctwRubyDiamondRing1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this one comes from gem palace...at least that is what the photo says...gents ring..and you know we see so few of those up here..:)

CIJGemPalace_RingM.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hey tourmaline lover!
well, i''ll have to go try it then! sounds like fun! and thankyou so much, i''m flattered that you would like my ruby so much! do you have rubies since you love them so? i have to say, i love all three of the big gems, emerald, ruby and sapphire...it''s so hard to choose..i end up wearing them all when really i shouldn''t because it just looks too much! LOL...the ruby is natural, untreated..and came through a certified dealer who is my friend.he is a gemologist...i met him long ago when i had had a large garnet damaged by a jeweler trying to size a ring for me..so i went to him via another friend and asked his advice. he confirmed the stone had been heat fractured..eeek..anywho, he''s great at what he does..now, i''ve studied gems for a long time and i know quite a lot about them and can identify on my own, but it''s always good i think to have a certified gemologist have a look as well!!!!as for rubies...i''ve had several in the past, but this one took the cake! so to speak...;-)
i''ll give the show me the ring thing a try! as for the pic attached, just a great ruby broach! i found no info on it though..but it sure is pretty!
Wow, consider yourself very fortunate and of a rare breed (aside from royalty
emwink.gif
) that owns a huge large untreated fine Burmese ruby. I will never get one because almost all of them are treated, and the fine ones that are not are worth a King''s ransom, if you can even get one!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 3:54:03 PM
hey tourmaline lover!

Wow, consider yourself very fortunate and of a rare breed (aside from royalty
emwink.gif
) that owns a huge large untreated fine Burmese ruby. I will never get one because almost all of them are treated, and the fine ones that are not are worth a King''s ransom, if you can even get one!
yes, i have seen the prices are amazingly high right now for untreated rubies...i have read that almost all are treated when still rough..but the most common treatment occures in thailand. apparently the rough stones from around the world are sent through there because in thailand they have the world''s best expert heat treaters...if that is a proper term! lol...and also, apparently, in thailand the rubies are also cut, as there they also have some of the world''s best cutters. now for a long period before just very recently, it was accepted that most or even all rubies would go through the heat treatment process and it had absolutely no effect on pricing at all...i have heard that it was expected that rubies were heated..and that it was considered just man finishing what mother nature would have or should have done...
but it seems that just recently, and i do mean very recently, like in the past year or two, thoughts are beginning to change...now people want only untreated stones, that are now becoming a premium price because the demand is becoming more great than the supply..
i myself think that it''s funny. i mean, paying over a million dollars for a ruby ring is astronomical to me...i couldn''t do that. and i''m not sure the sarah fergusons ruby isn''t heated it''s self...they were even trying to figure out if diana''s sapphire was heated...the experts that is..:) weather material is heated in the ground or out doesn''t matter to me..i have another ruby, this one from madagascar, and it is stunning, it was heated, went through thailand and weighs over 7 carats...i love it! i am in the process of getting a setting made for it...i can''t wait! the colour is fabulous and the size perfect, and weather or not it was heated...in ground or out..who cares???:)
a ruby is a ruby! it''s kind of like this...weather i put on my make up or weather a pro puts it on me, it''s still me! and so, weather a pro heats my ruby or mother nature does it, it''s still a ruby to me!..i have a few smaller ones that are unheated as well...but they are small enough that i never wear them anymore...:)and i have one other ruby that is au naturelle..no heating, it''s huge..about 13 carats, but i''s lower quality..very full of inclusions..but i like the greek style ring it''s in, so, as in ancient times, the stone is left alone! the cut isn''t the best either, which makes it appear older, ancient grecian..i like that..
jenna:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s not just heat treatment of rubies, but fracture filling, and other really unscrupulous treatments that are killing the ruby market. You should post pics of the Madagascar ruby in the "Colored Stones" section of the forum. I would love to see that one, as well as your other stones. It sounds like you havea a magnificent collection.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2008 7:34:57 PM
It''s not just heat treatment of rubies, but fracture filling, and other really unscrupulous treatments that are killing the ruby market. You should post pics of the Madagascar ruby in the ''Colored Stones'' section of the forum. I would love to see that one, as well as your other stones. It sounds like you havea a magnificent collection.
hey tourmaline lover!..ok. i''ll try that coloured stones section..i''m still pretty new at this! it''s fun though! i look forward to it! i''ll try to get some new pics tomorrow when i get a minute, of the other gems as well..and post them..i''ll have to wait and see if we get some good sun light! it''s always nicer to see them in natural light!:)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now, this is an article on jewelery that is very very informative! a great read..the history of jewelry!...
''Jewelry Since the Dawn of Man

India jewelry, history of jewelry, fashion jewelry trends, political jewelry history, gemstones jewelry, jewelry making, custom jewelry, diamond jewelry, diamond information, buying diamonds, online diamond stores, online diamond jewelry, online diamond jewelers, buying a diamond, buying a manufactured diamond,The word Jewelry is derived from the Latin word jocale, meaning "plaything," and the word jewel, which was anglicised in the 13th century from the Old French word jouel. The word "jewelry" (spelled Jewellery in European English) is used to describe any piece of precious material (gemstones, noble metals, etc.) used to adorn one''s self.

Jewelry in its most basic form has been used since the dawn of of man''s use of tools and clothing. Until recently, researchers had believed that the ability to use symbolism did not develop until humans had migrated to Europe 35,000 to 40,000 years ago. Recently discovered mollusk or nassarius kraussianus shells that had been perforated to be made into beads are now thought to be some of the oldest known man-made Jewelry. This mollusk jewelry was discovered in a cave in Blombos, South Africa, and dates back to the Middle Stone Age 100,000 years ago. Other readily available natural materials used to make the first jewelry include animal teeth, bone, various types of shells, carved stone and wood. Most likely, jewelry started out as a functional item used to pin articles of clothing together and was later adapted to a purely aesthetic adornment.

Used as a symbol of wealth and/or status as well as to protect against harm, ward of evil, and heal ailments, jewelry was used to adorn nearly every part of the body and has been made out of almost every material known to mankind.

Prolific jewelry making began with the ancestors of Homo Sapiens, the Cro-Magnons over 40,000 years ago when they began to migrate from the Middle East to Europe. Cro-Magnons eventually replaced the Neanderthals as the dominant species. Jewelry from that period includes crudely fashioned necklaces and bracelets made of bone, teeth, mother-of-pearl, shells and stone strung together with a piece of twine or animal sinew. The earliest signs of metallurgy, using copper to make jewelry, was seen around 7,000 years ago.

Ancient Egyptian Jewelry

The first evidence of jewelry making along the Nile Delta in ancient Egypt dates from 3,500-5,000 years ago [2]. Gold was the metal of choice for the Ancient Egyptians and was used extensively throughout the several thousand year history of pharaonic Egypt. There were thirty one dynasties of rulers, from the reign of the kings Serket I and Narmer in 3000 BC. (the Early Dynastic Period of Egypt 1st to 2nd Dynasties), through the Middle Kingdom of Egypt (11th to 14th Dynasties), to the New Kingdom of Egypt (18th to 20th Dynasties), to Graeco-Roman Egypt (332 BC to 639 AD), to Ptolemaic Egypt (323 BC to 30 BC) and finally Roman Egypt (30 BC to 639 AD). Jewelry symbolized the glory, power and religious dominance in the community throughout these periods.

In ancient Egypt, gem carvings (glyptic art) in the form of scarab beetles and other sacred objects was worn for its religious significance. Both men and women wore jewelry as protection from evil and as a symbol of wealth and status as well as for adornment. Jewelry was worn by wealthy Egyptians in life, but it was also worn by them in death in order to assist in the journey to, and serve as comforts in, the afterlife. Unfortunately, tomb-robbers plundered much of Egypt''s ancient treasures, some of which was recycled by successive Kings for their own use in the afterlife.

Ancient Egyptian Jewelry - Tutankhamun

Although many treasures were lost to tomb-robbers and piracy, one insignificant king''s treasure remained intact and unmolested for thousands of years. That king was the now famous Pharaoh Tutankhamun, son of either Amenhotep III or Akhenaten. His short reign as Pharaoh began at age 9. Although he ruled for only 9 years (1336 BC to 1327 BC), he was able to amass a legacy of wealth and treasure that lives on today. Given the size and scope of his wealth it is hard to imagine the vast wealth accumulated by long reining kings like Seti I or Ramesses II.

Ancient Egyptian Jewelry - Tutankhamun

Egyptian Jewelry, history of jewelry, fashion jewelry trends, political jewelry history, gemstones jewelry, jewelry making, custom jewelry, diamond jewelry, diamond information, buying diamonds, online diamond stores, online diamond jewelry, online diamond jewelers, buying a diamond, buying a manufactured diamond,Although the Egyptians had access to precious gemstones, they preferred the colors they could create in glass over the natural colours of stones. For nearly each gemstone, there was a glass formulation used by the Egyptians to mimic its color. The coloration of the jewelry was very important to the Egyptians, and different colors had different meanings. Green colored jewelry symbolized fertility and the new growth of crops. In the Egyptian Book of the Dead it was stated that the necklace of the God Isis around a mummy''s neck must be red to satisfy Isis''s need for blood.

Most of the raw materials used for jewelry were found in or near Egypt, but silver and lapis lazuli were imported from other lands such as Afghanistan. Queen Cleopatra''s favourite gem, the emerald, was mined around the Red Sea. Scarab or beetle-shaped amulets were associated with rebirth because dung beetles are noted for rolling dung into spherical balls, which are used as brooding chambers from which newborn beetles emerge.

Mesopotamian Jewelry

Jewelry production was a significant craft in the cities of Sumer (Assyria), in southern Mesopotamia, and Akkad, in northern Mesopotamia. Ur (2600 BC to 2400 BC) was inhabited in the earliest stage of village settlement in southern Mesopotamia, known as the the Ubaid period. Located near the original mouth of the Euphrates and Tigris rivers, Ur was an ancient city of Sumer in southern Mesopotamia.

In Assyria (the southern half of Mesopotamia aka Babylonia), men and women both wore extensive amounts of jewelry, including amulets, ankle bracelets, cylinder seals, and multi-strand necklaces. The jewelry of this period was manufactured from thin gold metal leaf set with brightly-colored stones such as agate, lapis, carnelian, and jasper, as shown in the examples below from Ur.

The art of elaborate gem carving known as glyptic art was popularized through the use of gemstones as signets or personal seal-stones. Glyptic carvings were used on ringstones commonly worn by women or children.

Mesopotamian Jewelry - Ur in Sumer

In Mesopotamian jewelry design, preferred shapes and motifs included leaves, cones, spirals, and bunches of grapes. Jewelry was created both for human use and for adorning statues and idols. Mesopotamian jewelers and craftsmen employed a wide variety of metalworking techniques, such as cloisonné, engraving, granulation, and filigree.

Jewelry of Ancient Greece

Many of the artistic skills that the ancient Greeks or Mycenae possessed were probably inherited from artisans of the Minoan civilization that preceded the Mycenae. The Minoans lived on the islands of Crete and Thera (Santorini), and in Anatolia from 2700 BC to 1600 BC (early Bronze Age), when their culture abruptly ended, possibly brought on by the devastating volcanic eruption of Thera''s Stroggilí volcano in the 1620s B.C., and the earthquakes or tsunamis that followed. Within the ruins of Minoan cities, archeologists have found bronze and copper ingots as evidence of advanced smelting techniques.

In the 2nd millennium B.C., Mycenae was one of the major centers of the Greek civilization. The wealth and power of Mycenae was well documented in Homer''s Iliad, where King Agamemnon led a Greek army against Troy. The solid gold funeral mask known as the "Mask of Agamemnon" was found at Mycenae by German treasure hunter Heinrich Schliemann, in 1876.

Early Mycenaean Age Greek jewelry consisted of beads shaped like shells and animals. The Greeks started using gold and gems in their jewelry around 1,400 BC (late Bronze Age). By 300 BC, they had mastered the use of colored gemstones such as amethyst, pearls and emeralds in their jewelry, carving and engraving intricate patterns into the gemstones. Ivory carvings, popularized by the Minoans, were also a popular motif of the period.

Mycenae Jewelry

The Greeks where the first to use cameos, creating them from a cream, brown, and striped pink form of agate stone called Indian Sardonyx. Early Greek jewelry employed simple designs and workmanship which made them distinct from the ornate styles of other cultures (above). As time progressed, their designs, techniques and range of materials grew in complexity (below). The laurel wreath was used as a crown of honor for heroes and scholars (below middle). The laurel leaf was sacred to Apollo, the god of intellect and light.

Greek Jewelry Designs

The ancient Greeks were fond of pendant earrings adorned with the images of doves, or the gods Eros and Nike. Amphora pendants were embellished with gemstones or enamel, hanging from a rosette usually topped by the crown of Isis. Necklaces were either a broad strap chain with dangling fruits or calyxes (above), or a round chain with an animal head or dolphin shaped clasp. Gold wreaths were worn as headdresses decorated with lavish foliage, flowers, acorns, Eros and Nikes. Their rings had bezels set with sealstones or other semi-precious stones.

Jewelry of the Hellenistìc period

The Hellenistic age (330-27 BC), initiated by the conquests of Alexander the Great and increased contacts with the Far-East and Egypt, brought about great changes in taste and styles in architecture, clothing, and jewelry. Many new types of jewelry were introduced, and the use of gold increased dramatically. The use of semi-precious and precious stones, such as amethyst, chalcedony, cornelian, garnet, and rock crystal were employed. Less costly jewelry used glass paste as a substitute for more expensive stones.

Etruscan Jewelry

The Etruscans lived in Etruria (western Tuscany, Italy) and were a non Italic people whose culture was based largely on the Greek culture. The Etruscans had a profound influence on the Romans from the 7th century BC to the 5th century BC. They were eventually overcome by the Romans in the 4th and 3rd centuries BC.

During the Early Etruscan Period (7th century BC to the 5th century BC), they developed their own unique methods of workmanship and characteristic styles, producing many pieces featuring intricate detail and a wide variety of styles, as shown in the examples below (from the Metropolitan Museum of Art). During this Period the Etruscans developed the art of granulation, which uses finely grained "shot" gold to create delicate patterns. This process has been recently rediscovered and is being used again by some jewelers today.

Etruscan Jewelry - Metropolitan Museum of Art

During the Late Etruscan Period (4th centuries BC to 3rd centuries BC), the workmanship took on a simpler quality. Many pieces were made with filigree openwork patterns without any backing, and often used colored beads from Phoenicia, inlay and enameling. Etruscan finger rings were often made with a scarab or a long engraved oval bezel set with a single gemstone.

Ancient Roman Jewelry

The ancient Romans used a diverse range of materials for their jewelry due to their access to a wide variety of natural resources across the European and Mediterranean continents. The most common jewelry item of early Rome was the brooch, which was used to secure clothing together. A popular style of jewelry invented by the Romans was gold hemispheres fashioned into necklaces, bracelets, and earrings (above left). The drawing of Roman jewelry to the right (above) is from Albert Racinet''s book "Le Costume Historique 1878."

Although the Romans often used gold in their jewelry, they also used bronze set with bone and glass beads. Pearls were particularly prized. The engraving of Roman jewelry to the left (below) is from "Gems of Nature and Art," by B. Fawcett, published in London by Groombridge and Sons (1880).

The gold necklace below was found in Pompeii and is set with emeralds and pearls. The example to the far right is a natural pearl, emerald plasma (chalcedony), and gold necklace from the old Roman Empire (500 BC to 100 AD), which is in the British Museum in London.

1st Century Ancient Roman Jewelry

Most early Roman jewelry resembled Greek and Etruscan jewelery. New motifs were developed or derived from other cultures and remained well-established throughout Roman times. An example which was influenced by the Egyptians is the Herakles knot, with its Apotropaic (amulet and talisman) character to ward off evil. Another borrowing from Egypt was the Isis crown, which adorned earrings during the second century B.C. Another important development was the hoop earring, appearing around 330 BC, with a finial in the form of animal heads, maenads, negroes or a full figure of Eros. Cameo portraits were also worn as rings and pendants (below).

Gold bracelets were often fashioned in the form of coiling snakes (below left). While Roman women wore a wide variety of jewelry, the men often wore only a finger ring (although they were expected to wear at least one ring). Rings were made with carved stone or gold, and were used wax to seal important documents with wax (below). The gold coin ring below features a portrait of emperor Marcus Aurelius (121 AD to 180 AD).

2nd Century Ancient Roman Jewelry

Upper-class Roman women wore a considerable amount of jewelry. One design that persisted throughout Roman history was the fibula, a pin that resembled a safety pin and was used as a clothing fastener. The fibula was often very ornately decorated as Roman clothing was frequently pinned rather than sewn. The fibula was often embellished with a cameo of a female bust or a winged Victory intaglio carving.

Encaustic Paintings of Ancient Roman Jewelry

The encaustic (hot wax painting) paintings shown above are known as ''Fayum Mummy Portraits''. They are on the casket or "sarcophagus" of the deceased. They depict well-to-do Roman women adorned with their finest traditional clothing and jewelry. The deceased is depicted at a relatively young age regardless of the age at death.

Great Britain in the 18th & 19th Century

The more commonly known ''Victorian era'' was bookended by two other significant periods in British history, the Georgian and Edwardian eras. All three were named after the British monarchs who oversaw the period. As far as fashion, social attitudes, and aesthetic taste is concerned, there is little disagreement that the royal families had an indelible influence on the period''s fashion and design motifs, as well as national the mood.

Georgian Era Jewellery (1714 to 1830)

Starting at roughly the same time as the Industrial Revolution, the Georgian period was defined by the rule of the English kings George I through George IV, as well as the American and French revolutions. This period was distinguished by its air of opulence, self indulgence and quirkiness, with George III (aka the porphyria stricken "Mad King George") setting the tone. Starting with the the ornate Rococo style of the early Georgian period, motifs transitioned from Gothic Revival during the mid-Georgian era, to Neoclassical during the transitional ''Regent period'' of George IV.

Popular jewelry styles of the period were both elaborate and intricate, forming ornate arrangements such as ''chandelier'' style earrings, rivière necklaces'' with their ''flowing river'' of diamonds, and multi-strand festoons or three-strand en esclavage necklaces'' forming swagged concentric rings. In keeping with the ''excesses'' of the times, diamonds were a favorite gemstone of the early Georgian Era. Gemstones were used in ornate repoussé settings, forming a raised metal pattern by working from the back side of the piece.

Georgian Era Jewellery
Georgian Cannetille Bracelets (left)

Other complex Georgian accessories were the cannetille, chatelaine, and stomacher. The stomacher was an elaborately decorated triangular pane, filling in the front opening of a woman''s bodice. Cannetille work was another popular Georgian style of metalsmithing, being made up of a lacy, open filigree consisting of tightly wound twisted gold wires, forming a coiled spiral that resembles spun gold. A chatelaine is a decorative clasp worn at the waist, with a series of suspended chains.

Victorian Era Jewellery (1837 to 1901)

The "Victorian era" as it has come to be known, started on June 20th 1837 with the crowning of Queen Victoria as the United Kingdom''s longest ruling monarch. The Reform Act of 1832, and changing social mores are also credited with the ending of both the Georgian era, and transitional Regency era (1800-1830), bringing about a new, ''romantic'' period.

Victorian Jewellery

Victorian era fashion and design blended an eclectic array of stylistic motifs such as Elizabethan, Classical and Gothic revival, Greco-Roman, Neoclassical, Orientalism, Rococo and Romanticism, all tailored to fit the new vision of an "ideal woman" as pure, unadulterated, and subservient.

Romantic Period

The ''Early Victorian'' years from 1837 to around 1860 were referred to as the "Romantic Period," marked by the Queen''s marriage to Prince Albert in 1840. Romanticism was a social shift away from the aristocratic, social, and political norms of the Enlightenment period, stressing the importance of dreams, emotions and sentimentality as inspirational source material for artistic expression. The Romantic era also brought about a new fascination with nature, adding Eden-like symbols such as the serpent, grapes, flowers, and birds to the ''romantic'' motif.

After Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had purchased Balmoral Castle in the Caledonian woodlands of Scotland in 1848, Celtic motifs began to permeate English culture. By the end of the Romantic Period, brooches and pendants containing polished agate gemstones called "Scottish pebble jewelry" had become very popular.

Victorian Jewellery
Hair Jewelry (left), Georgian Crescent Moon Turquoise & Pearl Brooch (center)

So called "hair jewelry" or "memorial mourning brooches" became a staple of the period, with Queen Victoria giving gifts of jewelry made from her hair (above, left). Mourning brooches were made by weaving small locks of a loved one''s hair into detailed "hair art." The locks were mounted on an agate or mother-of-pearl backing, then covered with domed glass. Human hair was also woven into elaborate designs and patterns used on pins, brooches, and bracelets.

Mid-Victorian Period

After a twenty year run, the Romantic era ended suddenly with the death of Queen Victoria''s husband, Prince Albert in 1860. A new period of mourning known as the Mid-Victorian or "Grand" Period, lasted from 1860 to 1885. Darker stones such as jet and black onyx began to appear in jewelry, symbolic of the national mood.

Another offshoot of the Queen''s fascination with the Scottish countryside was the popularity of the Celtic Revival Cross, worn as a pendant or pin. Due to a scarcity of raw materials during this period, open-work techniques such as cannetille, filigree, and repoussé were employed so as to exaggerate the quantity of precious metals, and size of the jewelry piece.

Typical jewelry items of the period were mosaic jewelry, the cameo brooch and the stick pin, with cameos of carved conch shell, hardstone agate, carnelian, and sardonyx, or Wedgwood ceramic, depicting mythological Greco-Roman imagery. Glass or paste gemstone simulations were also used extensively during the Victorian Period, and jewelers would add a foil backing to reflect more light through the ''stone.''

Brooches were also decorated with miniature Limoges painted enamel portraits (above, center), surrounded by Etruscan style granulation, filigree and fleur d''lis. Small enamel portraits were painted by artisans called "limners," who would travel the countryside creating these wearable likenesses.

The Mid-Victorian Period saw the rise of a new urban middle class [5]. A fashionable pastime for the well-heeled Englishman was to embark on "The Grand Tour" of Europe, visiting classical Baroque, Greco-Roman and Italian Renaissance monuments while collecting mementos from each location. Collectors brought back Pietra Dura (stone inlay) mosaics and mico-mosaics (tessarae) which local artisans would craft to emulate the architectural motifs of famous Etruscan and Greco-Roman sites.

After Queen Victoria was crowned as the Empress of India in 1876, ''Orientalism'' brought about a newfound fascination with the Far East, as Eastern and Indian motifs worked their way into European art and jewelry design.

Late Victorian Period

The "late Victorian" period (aka Aesthetic Period) extended from 1885 to Queen Victoria''s death in 1900. As the prolonged malaise of the Grand Period waned, a new spirit of lightness swept over England like a cool breeze. Fun was back in vogue, and a sense of whimsy was brought on by the influence of the Queen''s daughter-in-law, Princess Alexandra.

Global expansionism of the British Empire was the hallmark of this period. With the discovery of the "Dark Continent''s" Kimberley diamond fields in North Cape, South Africa, Queen Victoria would usher in a new era that was resplendent with diamonds. This period reached its zenith with the Queen''s Diamond Jubilee in 1897, three years before her passing.

Edwardian Period Jewellery (1900 to 1910)

King Edward VII''s ascension marked the passing of the 1800s, Queen Victoria''s reign, and an end to the conservative tastes of the Victorian era. The Edwardian era ushered in a new fondness for femininity and sensuality that was shunned during the previous century. The Edwardian era design ascetic coincided with, and was influenced by the Art Nouveau movement that was moving across Europe.

Jewelry styles from the period were created with intricate filigree, punctuated with copious use of colored gemstones diamonds, and pearls. White metals became popular during this period, as jewelers made use of platinum, palladium, rhodium and white gold in their settings. It was during the Edwardian period that men''s jewelry came into fashion.

Art Nouveau Period Jewellery (1890 to 1915)

Art Nouveau ("new art") was the first move towards a new modernism in art and design, during the Belle Époque ("beautiful era") period of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The movement was primarily influenced by the radical work of Moravian (Czech) artist Alfons Mucha and English illustrator Aubrey Beardsley ("The Peacock Skirt" - below, left), and the ground-breaking architecture and design work of Hector Guimard of Paris (Paris Métro - below, right) and Antoni Gaudí of Barcelona.

Art Nouveau Period Jewellery

The Art Nouveau movement focused heavily on the themes of nature, fantasy, and the female form, with sensual flowing shapes that simulate organic growth that is reminiscent of the primeval Garden of Eden. Exotic floral motifs with animals, birds, butterfles, dragonflies, peacock feathers and marsh plants were incorporated with graceful feminine imagery or fairies, mermaids and nymphs, complete with their long, twisting mains.

Enameling or plique à jour ("open to light") were popular jewelry techniques during the Art Nouveau period, and the "craft" of jewelry design and metal-working was reborn in the elaborate and imaginative creations of the time. Jewellery designers such as Georges Fouquet and Lucien Gautrait, as well as glass designers Louis Comfort Tiffany and René Lalique combined Japanese motifs with popular natural elements to create elaborate Art Nouveau jewelry designs.

Viennese jeweller Frey Wille has created a series of enamel jewelry commemorating Mucha''s theatre placard artwork of Sarah Bernhardt in their "Hommage à Alphonse Mucha" line.

Art Nouveau Period (1880 to 1915)

The "Art Nouveau" ("new art") movement was one of the first departures from classical art and design, towards a new modernism. The ''Modernism'' and Art Nouveau movements occurred during what was known in France as the "Belle Époque," or "beautiful era" period of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The movement was primarily influenced by the radical work of Czech (Moravian) artist Alfons Mucha, Swiss decorative artist Eugène Grasset, and English illustrator Aubrey Beardsley ("The Peacock Skirt" - below, left), and the ground-breaking architecture and design work of Hector Guimard of Paris (Paris Métro - below, right) and Antoni Gaudí of Barcelona.

The Art Nouveau movement focused heavily on the themes of nature, fantasy, and the female form, with sensual flowing shapes that simulate organic growth that is reminiscent of the primeval Garden of Eden.

Art Nouveau Period Jewellery

Exotic floral motifs with animals, birds, butterfles, dragonflies, peacock feathers and marsh plants were incorporated with graceful feminine imagery or fairies, mermaids and nymphs, complete with their long manes of twisting hair.

Some of the floral motifs that were used in the Art Nouveau style were borrowed from English artist William Morris'' ''Arts and Crafts Movement'' of the late Victorian era.

Jewellery from the Art Nouveau Period

Enameling or plique à jour ("open to light") were popular jewelry techniques during the Art Nouveau period, and the "craft" of jewelry design and metal-working was reborn in the elaborate and imaginative creations of the time. Jewellery designers such as Georges Fouquet and Lucien Gautrait, as well as glass designers Louis Comfort Tiffany and René Lalique combined Japanese motifs with popular natural elements to create elaborate Art Nouveau jewelry designs.

Viennese jeweller Frey Wille has created a series of enamel jewelry commemorating Mucha''s theatre placard artwork of Sarah Bernhardt in their "Hommage à Alphonse Mucha" line.

Art Deco (1920 to 1939)

The "Art Deco" movement was founded by members of the French artists collective known as the La Société des artistes décorateurs, following the Paris Exposition Internationale des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels, held in 1925. Some of the founders such as Eugène Grasset and Hector Guimard were also instrumental in establishing the Art Nouveau some twenty years earlier. The Art Deco ''style'' also borrowed from the other Modernism movements of the time, such as Bauhaus, Cubism, Empire Neoclassicism, Futurism, and Modernism.

The movement was originally referred to as "Style Moderne," and it wasn''t until the 1960s when English art historian Bevis Hillier first coined the name "Art Deco." The name "Art Deco" refers to the movement''s effect on the "decorative arts," meaning the more ''commercial'' artistic disciplines of architecture, graphic arts, and industrial design, but the name was also used in reference to the "fine arts." As a stylistic motif, Art Deco managed to permeate every aspect daily life, from fashion, to consumer products and film. Of coarse, jewelry was no exception, and the Art Deco movement had a profound effect on jewellery design.

Art Deco Jewellery and Architecture
Chrysler Building (left), Art Deco Emerald Ring Circa 1910-1915 (center), Djenné Mosque in Mail (right)

The Art Deco style is probable one of the easiest artistic styles to recognize, with its modern ultra clean lines, trapezoidal shapes, stepped edges, and arced corners. What might be surprising to some is how the movement was influenced by indigenous primitive motifs from the ancient Aztec and Egyptians, or from tribal African motifs (see Mali photo above, right).

Jewellery from the Art Deco Period

Jewellery from the Art Deco period took on an ''architectural'' appearance, with gemstones being cut in bold geometric shapes such as the emerald cut, pentagon, trapezoid, or triangle. Another characteristic of the Art Deco movement was to combine bold, contrasting tones like black and white. Diamonds and light colored gemstones were mixed with dark materials of black onyx or Bakelite, for a striking appearance. Diamonds were also Pavé set into bold patterns to form a contrasting white field.

Art Deco Jewellery

Because the Art Deco movement was an ''industrial'' movement, industrial looking white metals were commonly used in jewelry fabrication. Popular metals of the period were silver, platinum, and white gold. American jewelry designers like Harry Winston and Tiffany & Co. became known for their iconic Art Deco style. In Europe, designers like Cartier, the House of Mauboussin (photo of wristwatch above), and Van Cleef & Arpels were at the forefront of the Art Deco jewellery movement.

Streamline Moderne

One of the offshoots to the Art Deco movement was the ''Streamline Moderne'' movement in the late 1930s, with its more rounded nautical feel. Famous examples of the Streamline Moderne movement are the Pan Pacific Auditorium and Coca Cola Building (above, right), both in Los Angeles, California. ''

6thy160.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now, this is a very unique pectoral that belonged to king tut. 18th dynasty egypt. the reason it is so very special is the center scarab. for years it was though to be a stone, until it was finally observed that it is actually a piece of desert glass. now, why is this glass more important than any jewel to royalty in egypt? well, because this glass came from space! this is known as the famous ''desert glass'', found in certain areas of egypt, even today we can find it...it is so highly sought after it demands a premium when it is genuine. desert glass is always his colour and it all came to earth millenia ago, even further back than ancient egypt. so to the egyptians it was ancient and believed to be a treasure from the heavens, which it is!

glass-jewel.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The New Queen
Queen Victoria was crowned on 28 June 1838. Two years later her marriage to Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg provoked the first Royal celebration in the modern style. Despite periods of unpopularity, the Queen remained at the heart of her nation and her Jubilees of 1887 and 1897 were celebrated on a massive scale.

Victorian Badge

Badge of the Royal Order of Victoria, oval onyx cameo with diamonds, emeralds, rubies mounted in silver; cameos carved by Sautini; by R. and S. Garrard; English; c.1864
The Royal Family
Queen Victoria and Prince Albert''s domestic life established a new vision of the ideal family that was widely followed at home and abroad. Paintings, photographs, journalism, and a new spirit of informality gave the Royal Family a familiarity and popularity unknown to previous monarchs. Victoria and Albert had nine children and their marriages into other Royal Families helped to extend British influence.

The Royal Family decorated their homes in the opulent French style, reflecting their continued interest in continental fashions.

Royalty and the New Britain
The Queen and Prince Consort were important patrons of art, design, technology and science. Albert''s inspirational involvement in the Great Exhibition of 1851 also enhanced his reputation. The Royal Family encouraged the use of the revived Gothic style, for its historical, patriotic and Christian associations, reflecting the values that underpinned their new Britain.

Royal attitudes to travel, communications and leisure influenced social change. The emergent popularity of the seaside, Scotland and the Isle of Wight as holiday destinations was the direct result of Royal enthusiasm.

Commemoration
The Queen''s very public mourning for Prince Albert after his early death in 1861 focused attention on the increasing enthusiasm for commemoration, in the form of public monuments. Albert himself would have preferred to have been remembered for his achievements in promoting science and art in Britain.

At every level, the process of mourning became commercialised, as stationery, clothes and jewellery were manufactured and advertised on an industrial scale.

blladge.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
i had not seen this pic of diana before...beautiful..

princess-diana1.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
some history on signet rings, since the royals love them! this ring was from the time of king tut, and is an ancient royal signet. it is said to hold the royal cartouche of king tut and date to around 1330 BC. so, the signet and royals go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BACK!!!

SignetRingTutankhamen.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Peter Phillips, the Queen''s eldest grandson and his bride Autumn Kelly, a canadian girl! yay canada!:)
jenna

2500204115_017fe23016_o.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the pair look happy! and i love her simple necklace...

2500204111_fcd814744a_o.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
in the traditional carriage...what a fairy tail! prince charming.......sigh

2501035218_944f4faedc_o.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results