shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is opened to reveal the portraits. The one on top is Anne Boleyn, while Queen Elizabeth's profile portrait is below.

opened_ring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hey! tourmaline_lover
what an amazing ring!!!! wait i have to type that again in capitols, WHAT AN AMAZING RING!!!! and a really awesome story to go with it. i''d love to see that ring in person..it''s just stunning!
jenna:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:01:03 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
hey! tourmaline_lover
what an amazing ring!!!! wait i have to type that again in capitols, WHAT AN AMAZING RING!!!! and a really awesome story to go with it. i''d love to see that ring in person..it''s just stunning!

Sitharthoriunet,
It was on display a few years ago in an exhibit about Queen Elizabeth I at the Maritime Museum in Britain. However, I believe it is owned by some trust. It doesn''t go on display often. It''s not only an interesting ring, but its historical value is priceless. Not only was it owned and worn by the great monarch herself, but it is the only piece of evidence that historians have as to what Queen Elizabeth truly throught of her mother.

BTW, thank you for all the pictures of Ancient Egyptian jewelry. I loved them. Historical jewelry is fascinating.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hi back! tourmaline lover!
oh yes, that ring is very very special! i found one more photo of it!!! i''ll post it for everyone...wow! i had never seen that ring before. you know how they will make reproductions and such for people who love certain pieces? well, that ring should be out there because i would sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo want it!!!!!lol, btw, you are very welcome..i love ancient jewels as well..and their history fascinates me! and this ring you posted is now a new fascination!

locketring.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and here is the queen herself, this painting is called the rainbow portrait.:)
beautiful! jenna

elizabeth_i_rainbo.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and another portrait of queen elizabeth I

elizasieve.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, just one more....:)

frontispiece.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and here is queen elizabeth II! nice aquamarine set..that''s an understatement!

ElizabetII.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, thanks for that photo. It''s so hard trying to find a good photo of the inside of this ring. According to historians, the portrait of Anne Boleyn in that ring is one of the few likenesses of her that is thought to be authentic. There are many paintings of her, but none of them were authenticated or painted from life.

Renaissance jewelry is so beautiful. There are many reproductions out there, and many jewelers get inspired by the designs. I love all the Hollywood recreations as well for films like "The Other Bolyen Girl" and "Shakespeare in Love" and the two "Elizabeth" films. I actually have a book on Tudor and Stuart (14th through 18th century England) jewelry. It''s fascinating.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and the other elizabeth we have been talking about with a great diamond around her neck! she''s not royal..but she''s got the jewels as if she were!

1059014379_osquiz-liz.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hey!
tourmaline lover, would you mind telling me what that book is you have on the jewelry?
i''d love love love to get it....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:17:55 PM
and here is the queen herself, this painting is called the rainbow portrait.:)
beautiful! jenna
The pearls depicted in this "Rainbow Portrait" are believed to be the pearls once belonging to Elizabeth''s rival, Mary Queen of Scots. They were stolen from Mary Queen of Scots and sent to Elizabeth. Elizabeth is well known for having a great love of pearls. A few of her pearls from one of her necklaces are believed to be those on the current Imperial British Crown that the current Queen Elizabeth wears to the opening of Parliament.

Queen Elizabeth II looks lovely in her jewels, and I remember that aquamarine necklace that was given to her as a gift by the state of Brazil. She''s certainly a very regal lady like her royal namesake before her.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
now here''s a ring as well..this one with some of it''s own history..i just saw it and here''s the story they have up for it..''The Chalk Emerald Ring which is an important and famous exhibit in the National Gem Collection of the National Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution, gets its name from the one time owner of the emerald Mrs. Claire Chalk, wife of Oscar Roy Chalk, the renowned New York entrepreneur who was the owner of real estate, airlines, bus companies, newspapers and a rail line that transported bananas in Central America, and even a Central American banana plantation for a short period. Mr. O. Roy Chalk purchased the emerald ring from Harry Winston and gifted it to his wife, who wore the stunning emerald ring for a state dinner at the White House, in honor of Queen Elizabeth II. However, during the party Mrs. Claire Chalk observed that Her Excellency the Queen, was wearing a less attractive emerald ring, and decided to turn her ring around on her finger, so as not to upstage the queen. In the year 1972, Mrs. Claire Chalk in consultation with her husband, donated the fabulous emerald ring to the National Museum of Natural History, of the Smithsonian Institution. The Chalk Emerald is a 37.82-carat, square emerald-cut, deep bluish-green emerald of Colombian origin, with a good transparency. Like all natural emeralds the Chalk Emerald also contain some Jardin or inclusions, but in spite of it ranks among the very finest of Colombian emeralds.

The top quality emerald was previously the centerpiece of an emerald and diamond necklace, that belonged to the most flamboyant Maharani of Baroda, Maharani Sita Devi, the "Wallis Simpson of India" who was compelled to sell part of her enormous collection of jewelry due to financial difficulties, while living in Monaco. Harry Winston purchased the necklace, and after re-cutting the emerald from its original 38.40 carats to 37.82 carats, set it in a platinum ring, surrounded by 60 pear-shaped colorless diamonds, with a total weight of 15 carats. The surrounding colorless diamonds further enhanced the beauty of the emerald, and made it a masterpiece in jewelry setting, that would forever remain a living monument to the designing skills of the the "King of Diamonds" Harry Winston.
The Chalk Emerald is undoubtedly of Colombian origin, as all other emeralds that reached India during and after the Moghul period that lasted from the early-16th century to the mid-19th century. The Spanish discovery of emeralds in Colombia also took place around the mid-16th century, and most of the emeralds mined from the historic emerald mines of Colombia, Muzo, Chivor and Coscuez, eventually found their way to the Islamic Empires of Turkey, Persia (Iran) and India (Moghul Empire). The Chalk Emerald would have entered the treasury of Baroda either during the Mughal period of its history that lasted from 1573 to 1734 or during the Maratha period (1734-1947) when Baroda became the capital of the powerful Gaekwar family.''
all i have to say is drool...............

chalk-emerald-ring-at-the-smithsonian.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and from the front-ish

emerlllald.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:25:16 PM
hey!
tourmaline lover, would you mind telling me what that book is you have on the jewelry?
i''d love love love to get it....
I hope it''s still in print.

"Tudor and Jacobean Jewellery" by Diana Scarisbrick
ISBN 1854371584

Queen Elizabeth''s ring is discussed in there as well.

This document also talks about the ring when it was on display at the National Maritime Museum. Dr. David Starkey was curator for that event. He''s a famous British Historian.

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/upload/pdf/New_Elizabeth_exhibition.pdf

I have the catalogue for that exhibit in hard cover, and it details many artifacts, including gold daggers, coins and jewelry from the period. It''s no longer in print though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 11:22:59 PM
and the other elizabeth we have been talking about with a great diamond around her neck! she''s not royal..but she''s got the jewels as if she were!
No one can compare to Elizabeth Taylor as far as jewelry is concerned. She probably owns one of the most important collections in the world, outside of the British Crown jewels. Have you ever seen her Columbian Emerald suite? I can''t put into words how beautiful that is. Elizabeth Taylor may not be blue blood, but to me she''s a Queen of Jewels.

All she needs is the Hope Diamond and her collection would be complete!! Speaking of royalty, isn''t the Hope a recut version of the French Blue owned by the French royal family? It became lost/stolen after the revolution. Talk about a curse. Well, we only wish Elizabeth good luck!
emrainbow.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
oh thankyou!
that is great! i''ll see if i can find one somewhere!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
No one can compare to Elizabeth Taylor as far as jewelry is concerned. She probably owns one of the most important collections in the world, outside of the British Crown jewels. Have you ever seen her Columbian Emerald suite? I can''t put into words how beautiful that is. Elizabeth Taylor may not be blue blood, but to me she''s a Queen of Jewels.

All she needs is the Hope Diamond and her collection would be complete!! Speaking of royalty, isn''t the Hope a recut version of the French Blue owned by the French royal family? It became lost/stolen after the revolution. Talk about a curse. Well, we only wish Elizabeth good luck!
emrainbow.gif

Is the the Columbian emerald necklace?

ElizabethTaylorEmeraldDiamondnecklaceBulgari.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 4:01:41 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav

No one can compare to Elizabeth Taylor as far as jewelry is concerned. She probably owns one of the most important collections in the world, outside of the British Crown jewels. Have you ever seen her Columbian Emerald suite? I can't put into words how beautiful that is. Elizabeth Taylor may not be blue blood, but to me she's a Queen of Jewels.

All she needs is the Hope Diamond and her collection would be complete!! Speaking of royalty, isn't the Hope a recut version of the French Blue owned by the French royal family? It became lost/stolen after the revolution. Talk about a curse. Well, we only wish Elizabeth good luck!
emrainbow.gif

Is the the Columbian emerald necklace?
Yes!! Gulp!!

And she has earrings, a bracelet, and a gargantuan ring to match. The pendant to that necklace comes off, and can be worn as a broach. Can you imagine just having the smallest emerald in that necklace alone with its surrounding diamonds in a ring? That would be amazing enough, but this suite is incredible beyond words.

That is simply my favorite neckace of all time. It puts the Queen's Brazilian aquamarine necklace to shame (although I love that as well).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 4:05:05 AM
Elisabeth Taylor wearing La Peregrina
The pearl originally belonged to the Spanish Royal Family and it was the reason that 16th century Queen Mary Tudor had it. It was a gift from her Spanish husband, King Phillip II of Spain. It passed through many royal families until it was sold off, and then Elizabeth Taylor finally acquired it and had the pearl and ruby necklace made to accentuate it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Elisabeth Taylor's emerald and diamond earrings by Bulgari

It would be nice to find a photo of Ms. Taylor wering her emerald suite

ET_bulagri_emerald_diamond.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 2:29:25 PM
Elisabeth Taylor''s emerald and diamond earrings by Bulgari

I have a picture of her wearing all of them in Fred Ward''s book "Emeralds." I LOVE emeralds.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 3:45:37 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 10/4/2008 2:29:25 PM

Elisabeth Taylor''s emerald and diamond earrings by Bulgari

I have a picture of her wearing all of them in Fred Ward''s book ''Emeralds.'' I LOVE emeralds.

Would you pleace post it tourmaline_lover?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to find my Fred Ward "Emeralds" book first!! I forgot where I put it.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hey, found a photo of liz with the earrings ...it''s not great, but it''s all i have seen so far..:)

tpa_2019_358892000.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this is supposedly her emerald ring..i found this info on it..;''
This is Elizabeth Taylor''s Bulgari ring, featuring a 7.4 carat emerald surrounded by twelve pear-shaped diamonds. The ring, a gift from Taylor''s late husband Richard Burton, will be auctioned Thursday, September 26, 2002, along with other jewelry created in her name to benefit The Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation. — AP/PTI''

biz.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
this one is a beauty...this is what info came with it...
''The Drizzle : 27.50 carats Colombian emerald pendant by per carat Studio''
i like!

The_Drizzle_pendant.155120318_std.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
not sure about this one..anyone know what these gems are?
jenna

elizabeth_taylor3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results