shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The Beauharnais Emeralds French 1806...very yummy!
jenna:)

necklacedharker.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
royalty and their horses!

100_9126_mid.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the queen in an amazing ruby set...my goodness i love those rubies!

13_royal_pple_430xx_280508.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
here is another great picture of the queen as a young woman.

queeggn.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the queen in her wedded bliss!

queenphilwed_3.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the queen has a great smile..:)

queen2_257297a.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and a slightly newer photo of the queen..:)
lovely as ever. jenna:)

Queen-Elizabeth-II-Photograph-C12146699.jpg

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
Completely off topic, but I have been able to be around a few Akhal Tekes and they are beautiful and intelligent horses. You are right in distinguishing between the palomino color and the metallic sheen present in some Akhal Tekes, but this metallic property is also present in other breeds. It''s an unusual phenomena, but you will see it crop up across all breeds and on several different coat colors, predominantly in duns or chestnuts with a more copper colored base. This makes sense because yellow dun is one of the oldest coat colors and is the thought to be the ancestral color of the horse and Akhal Tekes are one of the oldest breeds.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hi dazzle66!
off topic or not, horses and royals have always gone hand in hoof so to speak! LOL i''ve been around horses my entire life, we grew up on our farm with many breeds and colours of horse..too bad we have never owned and akhal teke though, but one day i will..i just am looking for the metallic gold. i''m picky! lol..i''ve had clydes, shetland ponies, tennesse walking horse, thoroughbreds, welsh mountains, standard breds, morgans, appaloosas, minis, and more, and every colour you can possibly imagine from black, to dun to bright red to palemino to white, to mapped to brown ..well you get the picture..and i''ve shown them my whole life, to world level..and never have i ever seen a gold metallic in any other breed than the akhal teke. i''ve seen some amazing sheens but no other horse has ever shown gold. and unless i see a photo of one, i''m gonna have to go with the wikipedia and the other akhal sources and believe that no other horse breed has this colour..but i do hope to see if they do.:)

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
I too have bred, trained, and shown horses my whole life. And I do believe it because I have seen it. Other sheens, such as copper, are more usual, but I have trained two separate horses that both glowed metallic gold. One was a buckskin Quarter horse and one was a champagne Walking horse. Unfortunately since they weren''t my horses I don''t have any pics. Metallic sheen of any kind is due to a difference in hair shaft structure. I don''t see why this trait couldn''t be present in the general population of horses at a very very low frequency, especially if it may be associated with an ancient breed of horses and an ancestral coat color. It may even arise from a simple gene mutation. It''s true that it''s pretty rare and there is a much higher incidence in Akhal Tekes, but they have probably been selectively breeding for this quality. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.
1.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
yes, absolutely, agree to disagree...i''m the type of person who needs to see proof..but i guess it''s possible there may appear a golden colour in other breeds once in a while..but there is a reason the akhal teke is known as ''the golden horse''..not as ''one of many golden horses''...;-)
kind of like abrabs are known for their special features...unique to that breed..and so on..you may see another horse once that may look kind of arab..but that would be rare and only the arab looks that way by trade if you will.
unusual things do happen once in a while such as for instance a three legged goat, but it''s not something you can base your bets on..goats have four legs, and you can argue that you have seen some with three..that doesn''t change the fact that goats are accepted to always have four. and in this case, i''d love to see some other breed with that colour, quite frankly it would make my search for that colour easier and i''d buy whichever horse i liked...however, it''s not going to happen..the case would be finding a needle in a hay stack, since all other breeds are not known to have that colour as a rule..i''d have to base my bets on the common knowledge that akhal''s are the gold horse and that''s where you must find that colour if you want it..
yes, i tend to be difficult. i am truely not unique that way..most people can be when they are speaking about what they know to be true. and i''ll change my mind and my words when and if i ever happen to see proof otherwise...i''m sure you''d say the same...:)
many good wishes, and hey, or rather ''hay..''..lol...if you ever see a photo of another breed that shows this colour, post it for sure! i''ve never seen proof and i want to for sure, and i''m sure now that this well known info is being challenged everyone else might like to see it as well! until then..akhals are the golden horses...
jenna

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
Ok. I found a few example pics online. Apparently the gene(s) (still unknown) responsible for the different hair shaft structure tend to show up with the Champagne dilution gene in other breeds. I found some pictures from the International Champagne Horse Registry. If the different type of hair shows up on a champagne horse, the sheen will not be as strong as if it were on an Akhal Teke. Akhal Tekes have the different type of hair more often associated with darker coat colors. It also seems to depend on the percentage of hair affected. However, the different hair structure can occur without the Champagne gene. This pic is a Missouri Fox Trotter who is classified as a Classic Champagne and you can see the metallic sheen on his coat.

foxtrotterexample1.jpg

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
Here is another pic of a Tennessee Walking horse who is a classified as Gold on the studbooks who shows the metallic sheen:

twhgoldexample1.jpg

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
Lastly, here is a photo of a tobiano paint that shows metallic:

paintgoldexample.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Queen Mum is rolling over in her grave knowing that Camilla is wearing her broach and I think one of her diamonds in a ring. She reportedly HATED Camilla. Poor Queen Mum - may she RIP.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queen Mary Tudor (16th Century Queen of England othewise known as "Bloody Mary") and her famous drop. This is now owned by Elizabeth Taylor

Marybrown.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, can anyone tell me why mary was known as ''bloody mary''?
i''ve heard the reference but not the reasons...
and i must add, i''m not happy with camilla either. blah.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and as to the nice shiny coated horse photos, very nice..i have my own shined up nicely like that as well for all of our shows. that is not metallic though.
just very well groomed.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
i mean common, am i the only one here who sees the difference? really???
jenna

twhgoldeooxample1.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I know that The Queen mother didn''t like at all Camilla and that it wasn''t a good idea Charles to give her the ring his grannie was aworded for the birth of thå present queen, but I think the duchess looks great with queen mum''s jewels.
On the picture on p.62 Bloody Mary is wearing a brooch/pin with a pearl. Isn''t this La Peregrina Pearl?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Theduchess with one of the Queen mather''s brooches. I find her very stylish here.

42-19047157.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 5:00:49 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
i mean common, am i the only one here who sees the difference? really???
jenna
Not an expert, but I do see a difference. I think the difference is in the degree of which metallic is able to express itself in the coat.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Celebrating her 60th birthday with Prince Charles and the coronation necklace of the late Queen mother

camchuckPA2411468x527.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 4:55:57 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
ok, can anyone tell me why mary was known as 'bloody mary'?
i've heard the reference but not the reasons...
and i must add, i'm not happy with camilla either. blah.
Mary was coined "Bloody Mary" because she was a fanatical Catholic and burned many Protestants on the stake. Her father, Henry VIII, started the English Reformation, and the country, although primarily Catholic, had many converts to Protestantism, especially after his son Edward VI took over (a staunch Protestant ruler). When Edward VI died, Mary took over as Queen and tried to bring the country back to Rome, but a lot of innocent people died as a result. When Mary died of cancer six years after her accession, the greatest monarch of all time ascended the throne, Mary's half sister Elizabeth I (you know, the queen that there are 12 billion movies about, and who LOVED jewelry).
emwink.gif

As for Camilla, everytime I see her I think she has a striking resemblence to Boris Karloff (sorry all you Camilla fans).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2008 5:49:19 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
I know that The Queen mother didn''t like at all Camilla and that it wasn''t a good idea Charles to give her the ring his grannie was aworded for the birth of thå present queen, but I think the duchess looks great with queen mum''s jewels.
On the picture on p.62 Bloody Mary is wearing a brooch/pin with a pearl. Isn''t this La Peregrina Pearl?
It sure is the La Peregrina. Elizabeth Taylor now owns it and there''s a famous story about her dog almost eating it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Le Peregrina once owned by Bloody Queen Mary Tudor of England and now owned by Elizabeth Taylor, the Queen of Jewels!

ph_peregrina.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 8:21:53 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Le Peregrina once owned by Bloody Queen Mary Tudor of England and now owned by Elizabeth Taylor, the Queen of Jewels!
Beautiful!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of 16th century jewelry, this is an actual ring owned by Queen Elizabeth I. She never ever spoke about her mother, Anne Boleyn (or very very rarely if ever). Anne was executed by Elizabeth's father, Henry VIII, when Elizabeth was 3 years old. However, Elizabeth wore this ring and it has a secret compartment that opens to reveal two portraits, one of herself as Queen, and one of her mother, Anne Boleyn. I find that a very poignant story and a quiet rememberance for her tragic mother.

The ring is made of mother of pearl on the inside and plated with gold, and embedded with rubies. The letter "E" for Elizabeth is made up with diamonds.

Elizabeths_ring.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results