shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the link to the stomachers. While visiting Action on Addiction today the Duchess of Cambridge was wearing a ring on her right hand. It looks like a plain gold band, any comment on what it might be. The necklace has been discussed before. Hopefully some clearer pictures will come out. Thanks.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1361277942|3384142 said:
Thanks for the link to the stomachers. While visiting Action on Addiction today the Duchess of Cambridge was wearing a ring on her right hand. It looks like a plain gold band, any comment on what it might be. The necklace has been discussed before. Hopefully some clearer pictures will come out. Thanks.

The ring is not new. There are some red and white stones in it, probably rubies and diaonds ;-)
Of all the jewels The Duchess wore that day, I liked the earrings most. Her jewellery selection, however, was really mismatched... And that's often the case with HRH, IMO.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Can anybody help me with a photo or two of Dagmar von Arbin (nee Bernadotte) from the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel? I just re-watched some footage from this gorgeous wedding (a great event, my favourite!) and it seems that Mrs von Arbin wore some quite impressive diamond jewels, including some sort of bandeau (probably the one she wore in 1935 at the ball before CP Fredrik and Pss Ingrid's wedding).

Any replies would be appreciated!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last week the Swedish royal court published new portraits of TM The King & The Queen to mark the His Majesty's Ruby Jubilee (mind you, the actual anniversary is Sept 15). Anyway... In two of the photograps Queen Silvia is wearing the gown from the Jordanian State Visit with the sapphire paprure... I never thought these two colours would look good, but I'm pretty content with the outcome ;-) We can also enjoy HM's diamond-set star and badge of the Seraphim and the King's portrait.
In the other set of photos (informal) The Queen is wearing her multi-coloured pearl necklace and the smaller pair of drop-shaped pearl earrings from the Bernadotte collection.

The photograps can be seen here - RoyalCourt.se/pressbilder

Bobby

AlyssaBailey

Rough_Rock
These are awesome collections of diamond rings!

I am always dreaming that someone will give me a ring just like those in the picture. :)
So Love it!

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

I searched for some pictures and came up empty-handed.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1361576519|3388107 said:
Can anybody help me with a photo or two of Dagmar von Arbin (nee Bernadotte) from the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel? I just re-watched some footage from this gorgeous wedding (a great event, my favourite!) and it seems that Mrs von Arbin wore some quite impressive diamond jewels, including some sort of bandeau (probably the one she wore in 1935 at the ball before CP Fredrik and Pss Ingrid's wedding).

Any replies would be appreciated!

Hi, Bobby-

You got me interested and I plunged into the project. I don't believe I came up with Dagmar von Arbin, unless by chance the woman I want you to identify is she, but I did come up with a question for you! I wanted you to identify two people on the balcony with a lot of very high ranking royals at the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria. I hadn't ever really seen photos of the wedding except those of the bridal party and the Swedish Royal Family, etcetera. It was interesting to see Daisy and Letizia, etcetera. (And Daisy wasn't in red!)

But, please, who are these two people?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

bodaprincesavictoria6.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I believe the gentleman is Carl Johan Bernadotte, born Prince Carl Johan of Sweden, the youngest child of King Gustav Adolf, making him uncle to current King Carl Gustav, Q Margethe, and Q Anne-Marie. He was the last surviving great-grandchild of Q Victoria from 2007 until his death in May 2012. He lost his place in the Swedish succession upon marrying a woman of lesser rank. I assume the lady pictured is his second wife, whom he married well after he was widowed.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BubblyBear|1362109968|3393309 said:
I believe the gentleman is Carl Johan Bernadotte, born Prince Carl Johan of Sweden, the youngest child of King Gustav Adolf, making him uncle to current King Carl Gustav, Q Margethe, and Q Anne-Marie. He was the last surviving great-grandchild of Q Victoria from 2007 until his death in May 2012. He lost his place in the Swedish succession upon marrying a woman of lesser rank. I assume the lady pictured is his second wife, whom he married well after he was widowed.

Thank you, BubblyBear. It seems that you can take Bobby's place in a pinch! Carl Johan's second wife's name was (and is) Gunilla, although he is now deceased. I found this blurb about his history if anyone is interested in more detail. (I was once I knew who the heck the guy was!)

"On June 29 2011 he passed the record set by his elder brother, Sigvard, to become the longest-lived of Queen Victoria’s male descendants — the female record is held by Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, who lived to be nearly 98.

Carl Johan was the youngest child of King Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden and his first wife, Princess Margaret of Connaught, a daughter of the Duke of Connaught, the third son of Queen Victoria.

Despite the fact that the Bernadottes have been Kings of Sweden only since 1818, descending from a Gascon sergeant who became one of Napoleon’s marshals, the royal house has strict rules about marriage.

Of the four sons born to King Gustav VI Adolf, two were excluded from the succession and lost their princely titles on account of marrying women who were not of sovereign rank. The King’s elder son, Prince Gustaf (father of the present King), died in a flying accident in 1947; Sigvard lost his rights on his marriage in 1934; Prince Bertil (needed as a front line member of the family) was not allowed to marry his long-term mistress, Lilian Craig, until 1976, in the present, more relaxed, reign; and Carl Johan lost his rights on his marriage in 1946. Princess Ingrid, the only sister, married King Frederik IX of Denmark in 1935.

HRH Prince Carl Johan Arthur, Duke of Dalecarlia, was born in Stockholm on October 31 1916. His mother died when he was three, and all the Swedish grandchildren spent part of their holidays with their grandfather, the Duke of Connaught, who noted wryly that they all had 'ugly noses, like their father'.

Carl Johan was obliged to renounce his right to the throne and his princely titles and assume the surname of Bernadotte on February 22 1946, following his marriage three days earlier at Riverside Church, New York, to Kerstin Wijmark, the divorced editor of the Weekly Review in Sweden . The reception was held at the 21 Club, and the only member of his family to congratulate him was his uncle Prince Vilhelm.

Unlike his elder brother Sigvard, who was forever seeking to have his royal title restored, Carl Johan entirely accepted the decision and the fact that he was now out in the cold. In 1951 he was created Count of Wisborg by Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.

Carl Johan and his wife lived for five years in New York, where he worked as the representative of the Anglo-Nordic Trading Co, a Scandinavian firm. They became friends of the reclusive Swedish film star Greta Garbo, whom they met on the French Riviera in around 1950. She accompanied the Bernadottes on a trip to Tunisia in 1974, and the following year stayed with them in their villa outside Bastad, a resort in south-west Sweden.

Kerstin Bernadotte accompanied Garbo on her long walks, but also took her to a Birgit Nilsson concert in Copenhagen and arranged a dinner with the opera singer.

On various occasions Garbo allowed her hostess to photograph her, unaware that she was a journalist. She was not pleased when the results appeared in Ladies’ Home Journal in 1976 alongside a lengthy, albeit quite flattering, profile. Embittered, Garbo never again returned to Sweden. Nevertheless, Carl Johan and his second wife attended the actress’s memorial service in Sweden.

Count Bernadotte and his first wife adopted two orphaned children. After Kerstin’s death in 1987, he married, the following year, Countess Gunilla Wachtmeister, who survives him with his two children.

Count Carl Johan Bernadotte, born October 31 1916, died May 5 2012
"

Deb/AGBF
:read:

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Oh, Deb! I have nowhere near Bobby's seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge, but thank you.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1359633289|3368370 said:
Okay, supposition. It is a reasonable one. I don't think it's pretty enough to care, frankly. There are many nicer tiaras whose history would be nice to know, or whose current whereabouts.

--- Laurie

My thoughts exactly.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Deb, interesting bio of Count Carl Johan. Thanks for putting it up. Complicated lives. His wife appears to be wearing a tiara in the photo above but I can't tell what it looks like against her hair(?). Will look for another pic.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here it is. Not the most graceful tiara, imo. From the sound of it, Carl Johan probably did not receive any family jewelry, so he could have bought it for his wife.

0b1.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I have seen it somewhere......

Off to search!

*Seems to be Gunilla's go to headpiece. I read one report that it was "from her family."

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1362626278|3398616 said:
I have seen it somewhere......

Off to search!

*Seems to be Gunilla's go to headpiece. I read one report that it was "from her family."

Yes, this small pearl and diamond tiara/aigrette comes from Countess Gunilla's family, the Wachtmeisters*. A part of the jewel can also be worn as brooch.

*I believe Countess Gunilla is related to Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister, the Swedish Royal Court's Överhovmästarinnan (an equivalent in English would be Mistress of the Robes), a most formidable lady.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1362596782|3398128 said:
Here it is. Not the most graceful tiara, imo. From the sound of it, Carl Johan probably did not receive any family jewelry, so he could have bought it for his wife.

This seems to be the most famous suggestion, indeed. There is a well-known drawing of Crown Princess Margareta's wedding presents and while most are well known and still worn, none of them has been worn by either of Count Carl-Johan's wives. Actually, he may have inherited his mother's diamond granade brooch from the Officers of the Grenadier Guards. From what I've read, the late Count gave this brooch to Crown Princess Victoria on her christening, yet Queen Silvia has also worn it... And there are some rings, which may have passed to him. Nothing is known for sure.
Either way, Count C-J doesn't seem to have been in need of money, so selling family jewels was not necessary. In fact, he tried to buy his mother's ruby and diamond necklace (from her Wales cousins) when he understood that his brother had pawned it in America. However, it seems that he wasn't able to collect the requested amount of money.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I vagually remember reading that in her memoires Countess Kerstin (Count C-J's first wife) mentons wearing a sapphire tiara from her mother-in-law (CPss Margaretha). However, it seems that there are no photos of er wearing it and, in fact, she was almost never pictured wearing a tiara. Or what if she left it to either of their adopted children (assumign it was her property)? I guess Count Carl-Johan's share of his mother's jewels is to remain a mystery forever...

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa, I am not feeling the color combination at all. I like the dress and I adore the sapphires, but not together.

On a separate note, I had to chuckle at the pictures of HM holding Princess Estelle. I remember a similar look on my dad's face when he held my daughter as a baby... the look that says, "I'm not totally sure about doing this!"

Estelle looks none too sure either! ;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
I vagually remember reading that in her memoires Countess Kerstin (Count C-J's first wife) mentons wearing a sapphire tiara from her mother-in-law (CPss Margaretha). However, it seems that there are no photos of er wearing it and, in fact, she was almost never pictured wearing a tiara. Or what if she left it to either of their adopted children (assumign it was her property)? I guess Count Carl-Johan's share of his mother's jewels is to remain a mystery forever...

Bobby

It's also possible she borrowed it, isn't it, Bobby? C-J may have given up his official royal standing, but family warmth must have remained, right? Or were they disgusted with him? Sounds like they did care enough to give him a few smaller things.

Which ruby & diamond necklace did he try to buy from the Waleses? That's an interesting story I hadn't heard.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
t is with great sorrow that I'm posting this...

Today the Swedish Royal Court announced the death of HRH Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland, HM the King's aunt, at the age of 97. The Princess was loved by the family and I'm sure she'll be missed by many.
May you rest in peace, Your Royal Highness!

HRH Princess Lilian, Duchess of Halland
(30 August 1915 – 10 March 2013)

57493889.jpg
dwf15-10470952.jpg
5469595.jpg

Official announcement from the Swedish Royal Court

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Those of you interested in princess Lilian's life, can read the informative obituary on Trond Norén Isaksen's blog - Link
Or the one from the Telegraph with basically the same info (but shorter) - Link

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a great girl. The middle picture above is heartwarming -- that Victoria loves her is so evident. Sounds like she earned it completely.

Does anyone know about the necklace she is wearing with the red dress? Rubies, sapphires, pearls (or diamonds?)? Different & very interesting.

--- Laurie

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Yes Laurie (and others) was very sad when I heard that Princess Lilian had passed away. So glad she found happiness with her prince after a long time of duty and devotion on both of their parts. Would love to know more about her jewels (the necklace is very interesting). Hopefully they will stay in the family and maybe Victoria, Madeline or Carl Philip's wife will wear some of her pieces, some day (am not familiar with their inheritance laws, etc). It has been reported in the press that she was very close to the current generation of royals.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1363006561|3401859 said:
What a great girl. The middle picture above is heartwarming -- that Victoria loves her is so evident. Sounds like she earned it completely.

Does anyone know about the necklace she is wearing with the red dress? Rubies, sapphires, pearls (or diamonds?)? Different & very interesting.

--- Laurie

Indeed! The necklace is very interesting and unique! It is made of 5 rows of seed pearls, large cabochon stones - 3 sapphires, 2 rubies, and 2 emeralds, ruby and sapphire beads and (naturally) diamonds. With the help of diamonds the large cabs as feshioned as scarabs - 5 are hung from each row of seed pearls ans 2 of the sapphire scarabs connect the front 5 rows to a single-row that goeas at the back. The necklace was a wedding present to Princess Margaret of Connaught (CPss Margaretha of Sweden) from her parents-in-law. As you know, Prince Gustav Adolf met his Daisy in Engypt and scarabs are one of the country's symbols, so the shape of the pendants was quite fitting (and have in mind that it was 1905 - not long after the Victorians exchanged gifts/jewels to mark everything ;-) ).
After Crown Princess Margaretha passed away, the necklace went to her son Bertil, whose wife wore it proudly.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1363026043|3402094 said:
Yes Laurie (and others) was very sad when I heard that Princess Lilian had passed away. So glad she found happiness with her prince after a long time of duty and devotion on both of their parts. Would love to know more about her jewels (the necklace is very interesting). Hopefully they will stay in the family and maybe Victoria, Madeline or Carl Philip's wife will wear some of her pieces, some day (am not familiar with their inheritance laws, etc). It has been reported in the press that she was very close to the current generation of royals.

For me, the perfect scenario would be putting all historic jewels in the family foundation, as Princess Lilian (via her Bertil) had some great jewels from her mother-in-law, Crown Princess Margaretha. The laural-leaf necklace/tiara, th scarb necklace, the pearl and diamond choker, the bow brooch, the aquamarines, the turquoises, all the large pearls... The collection is too large and spectacular for words! Of course, the new generation will pick some jewels as mementoes from Dear Aunt Lilian, but that would be the modern and more personal items ;-)
BTW, it's been reported many times that Princes Bertil & Princess Lilian wanted Carl-Philip to inherit their estate. Not sure if that's true... Yet, I already told you my ideal plan for the jewels (and obects of art, paintings).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1362930114|3401242 said:
It's also possible she borrowed it, isn't it, Bobby? C-J may have given up his official royal standing, but family warmth must have remained, right? Or were they disgusted with him? Sounds like they did care enough to give him a few smaller things.

(...)

--- Laurie

But there were no hard feelings, Laurie. Loosing the HRH and Prince title+royal dukedom was something stipulated in the constitution, in case a Swedish Prince married a commoner. Carl-Johan knew that, got what he wanted and "payed the price". There's not much about jewels here. He had already inherited his share of CPss Margaretha's collection (whatever it included) years before he first married. The only jewels he didn't get were the ones from Queen Victoria, his grandmother ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results