shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you royal watcher. I have seen those photos before, but I have never seen a royal lady wearing them (either the Queen or someone she has loaned them to) and was wondering if there was a photo of them being worn in public. If anyone has said photo I would love to see it. Thanks

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
RoyalWatcher|1356102728|3337271 said:
I wonder if the diamond bracelet you mean, belonged to the Queen Victoria. In many portraits of her, a very similar can be seen : three rows of large rose-cut (or cushion-cut) diamonds. If so, it could have been left to the Crown after she died, like the Coronation Necklace...

http://cmdenglish.wifeo.com/images/Painting-of-Queen-Victoria.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/history1800s/1/0/Y/C/-/-/Victoria-J-1897-portrait-gty.jpg
BubblyBear|1356191051|3338026 said:
http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.com/2012/11/queen-victorias-diamond-bracelet.html

Thank you for the replies:)
It seems that the photo from the Queen's Diamonds is not available on-line, though. A pity.... From the description, however, it sounds like the bracelet looks better (and perhaps less chunky) IRL.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Gold tiara given by Haile Selassie to Elizabeth II

RoyalWatcher|1356260944|3338447 said:
In this list of Elizabeth II's wedding gifts, the author mentions a "gold tiara chased in openwork with symbolic devices". I never saw any pic of that one.
Does anybody could help ?
http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/wedding-gift-presents-queen.htm

It seems that there are no photos of this tiara that have been published.All that is known is that this tiara was a wedding present from the Emperor of Ethiopia (which is also mentioned in the link). Perhaps if The Queen has an album of her jewels (like her grandmother did), a picture might be there. However, it's unlikely that this will ever be published... Sorry...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1356398682|3339365 said:
Thank you royal watcher. I have seen those photos before, but I have never seen a royal lady wearing them (either the Queen or someone she has loaned them to) and was wondering if there was a photo of them being worn in public. If anyone has said photo I would love to see it. Thanks

Elizabeth II has worn both bangles, as has Queen Mary. I'm sure that you'll be able to find photos on-line. Else, I might post some when I'm home (which must be in less than a day). You can see them in early portraits of HM, particularly from the session where she's wearing the Diamond Diadem and the City of London fringe necklace. Photos of Queen Mary with them might more difficult to find, as good hand shots are rare (but pix are available on royal-magazin.de).
By the way, I also like bangles and these have been a fav of mine. A pity that they are not worn more often these days ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The USGS has found unseen photos of some Russian Imperial jewels in a book from their library. The photos show an impressive emerald and diamond pendant necklace (divided in 3), an important sapphire and diamond tiara, bracelet and brooch. The tiara and bracelet are visible in the famous photo of the Romanov jewels on a very large table. Also available is a HQ shot of the said table covered with jewels (the best available on-line) The cover of the book is also quite impressive ;-)
The pictures can be seen here - USGS Multimedia Gallery (click to show infor about the jewel and then once again to see the HQ)

Note the similarity of the tiara to the Ocean tiara of HSH the Princess of Monaco. This quite modern jewel was worn by the future Empress Maria Feodovna at the wedding of her sister-in-law Maria Alexandrovna to the Duke of Edinburgh. A beautiful paiting can be seen here - Link
Also, the emerald necklace is similar to the Grand Duchess Ella's. Perhaps her sister had a similar one made?
Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
A new brooch for the Queen in honor of her Jubilee from the British Jewelers Association. Photo on Her Majesty's Jewel Vault. Info on bja.org.uk Even though I prefer the older pieces in Her Majesty's collection this is pretty and symbolic. Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The designer of the jubilee brooch won a competition, I think among young jewelry designers. The trouble with that idea is that it's a tribute to young artists when it should be a tribute to the Queen. It's supposed to be a dove with representations of shamrock, thistle, daffodil, & rose for the parts of the UK. Platinum, gold & diamonds. Sorry, Laurensmama, but i think it's ghastly. Ungraceful. Difficult to wear: far too huge -- the pin bar can't be disguised through her clothes. If you like very modern jewelry, it's for you, but I doubt we'll see it often. Guess it's hard to tell how I really feel! ;-) but I haven't disliked something so much in ages!

--- Laurie

jubilee_brooch.jpg

queen_brooch.jpg

_2640.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1356648398|3341014 said:
The designer of the jubilee brooch won a competition, I think among young jewelry designers. The trouble with that idea is that it's a tribute to young artists when it should be a tribute to the Queen. It's supposed to be a dove with representations of shamrock, thistle, daffodil, & rose for the parts of the UK. Platinum, gold & diamonds. Sorry, Laurensmama, but i think it's ghastly. Ungraceful. Difficult to wear: far too huge -- the pin bar can't be disguised through her clothes. If you like very modern jewelry, it's for you, but I doubt we'll see it often. Guess it's hard to tell how I really feel! ;-) but I haven't disliked something so much in ages!

--- Laurie

I agree Laurie, out of all of the designs, this brooch wasn't one that I would pick for HM. The pictures show the size is much bigger than I had imagined it to be. Maybe HM will re-work it after wearing it. ;-) Does anyone else think that the dove design didn't translate well?

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Yeeeeeshhh.

That is one interesting......pin. It's a nice idea, but poorly scaled and the design just does not work for HM typical style.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree! However, why wasn't it properly pinned? The bar would have been hidden if the pin had been inserted closer to both ends.

Not jewelry related, but I love the blue coat. The zigzag is just great.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Photos are beginning to appear of the New Year's Banquet. Is Daisy wearing the poppies or her new gold tiara (sorry don't know the preferred name for the new piece)? The pictures I have seen are not very clear.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I saw all the entries into the brooch competition, and I think the big problem was that they got lost in too many details and symbolism and forgot the point...to make a pretty brooch that HM would actually wear. None of the competitors were her style. I think anyone on this board could have done better!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who paid for the brooch and where did the jewels and metal come from?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
If you re-read the first post from me, I believe your questions are answered in the website I posted. Everything was donated.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
RoyalWatcher|1357112807|3345302 said:
Queen Margarethe actually wore for the first time the Naasut Tiara she was given last year from Greenland to mark her 40th Jubilee (information from Royal jewels fan club)
A truly impressive masterpiece !
http://sermitsiaq.ag/sites/default/...h/picasa/a101264566a4d735a9461e55a97f0bb9.jpg

I have mixed feelings on this appearance of the Naasut Tiara. I don't think it goes well with Queen Margarethe's silver hair. It certainly highlights her smoker's teeth (seriously, her teeth match the tiara :blackeye: ). I think the blue dress and the big pearls competes and clashes with the tiara. The shape and construction of the tiara is great! Perhaps it would look better on CP Mary or Princess Marie with their darker hair.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone seen a clear photo that shows Catherine's, DofC ear rings that she wore for her portrait unveiling or to the Cirque performance? Some media outlets have reported she received a new pair as a possible birthday present from William.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
laurensmama|1358040887|3354184 said:
Has anyone seen a clear photo that shows Catherine's, DofC ear rings that she wore for her portrait unveiling or to the Cirque performance? Some media outlets have reported she received a new pair as a possible birthday present from William.

The "Strictly Kate" blog has some photos and says:

"Completing her outfit, the Duchess wore black suede Episode ‘Angel’ heels, her ufo black clutch, her Asprey 167 Button Pendant and her bespoke Kiki McDonough green amethyst and diamond drop earrings."

Link to blog: http://strictlykatemiddleton.blogspot.com/

I do not vouch for the blog's veracity, but the photos look good to me.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That's very pretty -- and big enough for a princess!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1358308437|3356561 said:
Princess Madeline of Sweden just got engaged for the second time, and this is her new e-ring. Looks like an asscher. The groom is a gentleman named Chris O'Neil.

http://theroyalsource.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-closer-look-at-princess-madeleines.html

Isn't this a belated post, TL? Princess Madeleine's engagement was announced in late October and I'm pretty sure I have mentioned it here on Pricescope ;-)
Anyway, the ring is very nice :) Can't wait for the wedding and lets hope it will be white tie, like her sister's :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I suppose at least some of you remember that I was due to present a project on Faberge and their work... And I remeber that some posters here wanted a review on how it went...
Well, it took us (it was a joint project) about two months to complete it - collecting information and photos, deciding which ones to stay and which ones had to go, making the Power Point presentation (and a lot of others things not connected to the project had to be done!). It was all ready about a week ago, just a day or two before my colleague and I were going to present it to our colleagues and most importantly the the lecturer. The whole process was great fun and we even decided to make a replica of a Faberge egg (the 1898 Kelch egg)to give Dr Cherneva.
We talked about Gustav and Peter Carl Faberge (the founder and his son), objects of art, lighters and cigarette cases,jewels, eggs and about what happened after the revolution. I really wanted to mention a piece or two from every category to eggs, but it was going to be too long, so I had to omit them (The Leuchtenberg Diamond tiara, Empress Alexandra's emerald collier and pendant, Alice Kepell's cigarette case). I was only "allowed" to retain the info about Queen Alexandra's tea set, as it's so unique (and indeed everybody admired it very much, while sb said he can't imagine drinking from it :D ). Naturally, we had to concentrate on the Imperial eggs (what they're made of, to wham they were given, what's the surprise. Seven of them were presented, the ones my colleague and I liked best of them all. It all went great and in the end there were a lot of applauses (more than any other presentation got, I believe!). Dr Cherneva told us we were great and even before we had started she said this project was "the pearl in the crown" (not sure if this expression exists in English; it means The icing of the cake) (she had seen parts of it before).
We still don't know our results but I'd be surprised if we don't have top marks ;-)

Thanks again to those who helped!

Bobby

PS: Pricescope gets due recognition, as do other sources, like the Royal Collection!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Dutch Queen, together with the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima, is on a State Visit to Brunei, which started today. For the official welcoming, HM wore the earrings from the ruby parure (as posts), a pearl necklace and an interesting brooch in the shape of a Maple leaf (?0 with either pearls or opals surrounded by diamonds and a ruby in the center - Photo 1. HM also wore a ruby and diamond bangle.
Princess Maxima was abfab at the welcoming ceremony with her emerald green dress, her matching earrings and the butterfly brooch from the O-N collection - Photo 2
For a boat trip an visit to a museum, HRH changed her dress and jewels. This time the Princess wore her modern floral diamond earrings and a new (to most people, at least) insect brooch, believed to be of the Orange-Nassau heirlooms - Photo 3

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
For the State Banquet Queen Beatrix wore the large pearl and diamond tiara and the necklace of large pearls from the family collection, the pearl and diamond strawberry leaf brooch and pendant and pearl and diamond cluster earrings. HM also wore a pearl and diamond bracelet (R) and a new (?) diamond and yellow stone bracelet (L)
Princess Maxima wore the dress and earrings from Prinsjesdag in 2012 with the Rose-cut diamond bandeau and a floral brooch.

Photos courtesy PPE Agency - Link

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Welcome home Bobby - you have been missed!
Congratulations on your presentation :D I am so happy that it was well received. A lot of work went into it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Browsing the galleries at Zimbio, I found some great shots of Queen Anna Maria at the wedding of HGD Guillaum to Comtesse Stephanie last October: earrings and necklaces, brooch, bangles and rings

From the same event there is an interesting photograph of her sister Daisy. What I find interesting is the clasp of the necklace - sometime ago a pic was posted showing the HM's back and the clasp of her pearls (which were said to have been a present from her Henri), the poster (I don't remember who) told us that that the clasp is a large sapphire within a frame of diamonds. Looking at this picture, however, I get the impression that the large stone is an amethyst. Any thoughts? Picture

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why do you think it is amethyst and not a purple sapphire?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1358855566|3361611 said:
Why do you think it is amethyst and not a purple sapphire?

To be honest, I've never thought about a purple sapphire! It's just the idea of having a nice large precious stone stuck at your back that's somehow strange to me... I mean, a sapphire of this size (and assuming that it's blue) could be better used is the centerpiece of a bracelet. I can even imagine the sapphire and diamond cluster with 4/5 rows of pearls around Daisy's wrist ;-) Imagine how nice it'd look with some of her other sapphire jewels, especially as HM doesn't have a bracelet with this stone in her collection ;-)

On a similar note, I find it also strange that the Queen has not worn this necklace the other way around - with the clasp in front, like many other ladies have done.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Day 2 of the Dutch State Visit to Brunei saw some interesting jewels being worn - nice muti-coloured Tahitian pearls for Queen Beatrix and one of the prongs from Queen Wilhelmina's Borneo tiara as brooch, Máxima donned the wide citrine/topaz bracelet and long drop earrings for the first day event and another interesting brooch on her second outfit for the day.
However, the event in the evening was the one of interest to us - HM wore Queen Juliana's aquamarine bandeau, Art Nouveau aquamarine brooch, the large pendant (from a sautoir, also originally QJ's) on the smaller riviere and the modern pair of aquamarine and diamond earrings; Princess Máxima wore the pearl button tiara for the first time with a pair of very large drop pearls as earrings and the strawberry leaf brooch and pendant. Quite a display of glitter for two days, if you ask me!
1455350fed1ddef4e8272201405.jpg 1455350fed1eca21a1544364436.jpg

Photos from the day events cen be seen here and here
Photos from the gala can be seen here and here

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results