shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Similar, but other elements & more graceful imo. Smaller too, thankfully.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
BubblyBear|1324942646|3088894 said:
Merry Christmas from the Danes! Obviously, we have the lovely Mary in the (full?) ruby parure. What is HM wearing??

danish%20wow.jpg

Have we seen this dress on CP Mary before? I know she's at least worn that color before. She looks great less than a year after the birth of the twins. I'm pretty sure Princess Marie has worn that dress before too (really, how many maternity evening gowns does a princess need?). We should be getting some good bling from them at New Year's too!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1325272048|3091689 said:
It looks delicious, Maria! It also look antique to me. Am I right? I can also see some sparkle, perhaps there are some stones in it? I'd liove to see it close and personal :razz:

Bobby

JewelFreak|1325263678|3091588 said:
Maria, you sparkle beautifully!!!

--- Laurie

Thank you Bobby and Laurie! It is not antique. There are no stones, but white gold beads are set on the inside areas of the gold beads, so it does give the illusion of some small stones sparkling.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures from the Danish New Year's Banquet. Princess Marie was not in attendance this year she she is due with baby #2 very soon.

newyear2012jpeg.jpeg

cpmarynewyear2012.jpg

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
I love, love, love Mary's entire look. The rubies and the color of her dress are stunning.

I'm interested in her brooch/stomacher thingy. I noticed in another photo a beautiful hair ornament, as well.

mary%20new%20year%20day%20hair.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1325362631|3092420 said:
Have we seen this dress on CP Mary before? I know she's at least worn that color before. She looks great less than a year after the birth of the twins. I'm pretty sure Princess Marie has worn that dress before too (really, how many maternity evening gowns does a princess need?). We should be getting some good bling from them at New Year's too!

Hi, Maria, and Happy New Year!!!

This photo is not new, it dates from 2008/2009. At the New Year's gala in 2009 we saw almost the same jewels and dresses as in this photo. The only differences are The Queen's tiara (Pearl poire diadem vs Floral aigrette) and The Crown Princess' dress (ice blue vs 'normal' blue).

Mary's gown - Yes, The Crown Princess has worn this dress at at least one other occasion - the Brazilian State Visit in 2007. You can see a picture here - http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=8&ShowPicture=6286156&pos=90

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1325462607|3093123 said:
Pictures from the Danish New Year's Banquet. Princess Marie was not in attendance this year she she is due with baby #2 very soon.

I'm quite surprised (in a not so possitive way) that Margrethe II's reapeating the same gown, jewels, fur combo that she wore at the same event in 2009... But this is Daisy. At least she does shine and looks truly regal. I had hopes to see the Rosenborg diamonds later this month at the Ruby Jubilee celabrations, but maybe we'll see some of the other Crown Jewels then (I'm thinking of the pearl and ruby set).

Mary does look nice, but this is my least favourite look of the earrings and the brooch. Why on Earth is HRH wearing gray pearls with ruby and diamond jewels? They look odd and don't match any other part of the parure. Anyway, I hope we'll see the whole parure (and I do mean the whole) later this month.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1325480874|3093315 said:
I love, love, love Mary's entire look. The rubies and the color of her dress are stunning.

I'm interested in her brooch/stomacher thingy. I noticed in another photo a beautiful hair ornament, as well.

Refreshing as the hair pins are, I'm still not in favour of the major alternation of the tiara.I hope that in the future we'll see them in another arrangement, perhaps something like the way in which the sapphire hair pins in the Bernadotte collection are worn.

What interests you in the brooch, BB?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Here one can see many more photos from the banquet, including one of HH Princess Elizabeth wearing her sapphire tiara and pearls:
http://www.b.dk/billedeserier/dronningens-nytaarskur

Lets hope HH will be well enough to attend the Jubilee celebrations for her cousin, The Queen.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Bobby, regarding the brooch/pin - I know I've seen her wear it before, perhaps with a previous version of this dress, but I don't know anything about its provenance.

Also, thanks for pointing out the date of the photo I posted of the family. I didn't realize it was several years old! :oops:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1325534762|3093590 said:
Bobby, regarding the brooch/pin - I know I've seen her wear it before, perhaps with a previous version of this dress, but I don't know anything about its provenance.

Also, thanks for pointing out the date of the photo I posted of the family. I didn't realize it was several years old! :oops:

Hi, BubblyBear!

First of all, you're welcome. For some reason I've always loved this photo session of the Danish Royal Family.

About the brooch - This is the large brooch/devant-de-corsage that belongs to the ruby parure, here worn with a gray pearl instead of the original ruby and diamond pendant, so it shares the history of the rest of th parure. Untill the New Year reception in 2010 The Crown Princess always wore the whole thing, since then we only saw brooch and pendant at The Queen's 70th birthday gala concert.
The previous time Mary wore this dress (or rather a previous version of it) the brooch was missing.

On another note - How is this new look of the dress achieved? The top doesn't seem to be reworked, so it must it brand new, perhaps using the same sleeves? Girls?
Here are two pix to compare -
2007: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2007/07010124.jpg
2012: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010150.jpg

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1325527670|3093523 said:

Mary does look nice, but this is my least favourite look of the earrings and the brooch. Why on Earth is HRH wearing gray pearls with ruby and diamond jewels? They look odd and don't match any other part of the parure. Anyway, I hope we'll see the whole parure (and I do mean the whole) later this month.

Bobby

I agree Bobby. If I had access to that stunning parure, I would have a hard time not wearing the tiara, necklace, and earrings together. Granted, the neckline on this dress would not lend itself well to the necklace, but I would still wear the earrings (or at the very least have a second pair of ruby earrings that could be worn if for some reason the chandelier style earrings were not appropriate for the event).

As for the alterations, one thing that I remember from her early days is how she walked as if she was afraid the ruby tiara was about to fall off. If it didn't fit well and she was uncomfortable wearing it, altering it was the right thing to do. She is far more confident wearing it now, and you need confidence to carry off a tiara. I think that makes the tiara all the more beautiful to see her enjoy wearing the jewels, not being afraid of them.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, you're right that The Crown Princess looked unsure of herself when wearing the ruby set in the early stages of her marriage, and I think this is something which HRH mentioned in the Royal Jewels documentary - that the parure felt so new (she'd never seen sth like this before) and that she felt she had to wear the entire parure, like Queen Ingrid used to do. Mary also said that the reason why she had the tiara altered was because it was too large for her head. For me, however, this is not enough reasoning. They could quite simply adjust the diameter of the tiara to HRH's head and cover the base with dark velvet, without making so many alternations. Now tha unique wreath-like look that was achieved by Queen Ingrid is gone and insted of a point at the top there is a gap. It is also not true that the tiara could not stand upright - just look at photos from the pre-wedding dinner.
All that said, I don't want to sound as if I don't think Mary had the right to alter the parure. No, what I am against is changing a master piece into something not so beautiful. Anyway, I still like this parure and envy HRH very much for having such a historiacl piece of jewellery at her disposal.
But you right - it's nice to see a good looking woman wearing this most sumptuous jewels to full advantage and enjoying them. (Don't you think that the whole alternation business has to do a lot with the fact that Mary wants to use the parure more often and according to her taste?)
I also agree with you say about the earrings - certainly sometimes I had the feeling that The Crown Princess was more bejewelled than The Queen.

Bobby

jean95404

Rough_Rock
In the 2007 photo the bodice is an Empire (waistline right under the bust), in the 2012 photo, the waistline is at the normal place (at the waist). Also, photo one has a scooped neckline and the second photo a bandeau. She may have kept the skirt and just had the bodice reworked. It would be amazing to have that kind of fabric with a perfectly matching die lot.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
That necklace is amazing!

article-2081281-0F51704500000578-860_306x544.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
jean95404|1325564696|3093866 said:
In the 2007 photo the bodice is an Empire (waistline right under the bust), in the 2012 photo, the waistline is at the normal place (at the waist). Also, photo one has a scooped neckline and the second photo a bandeau. She may have kept the skirt and just had the bodice reworked. It would be amazing to have that kind of fabric with a perfectly matching die lot.

According to the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor, it was originally a maternity dress -- didn't look like it in the photos to me, but I'll take her expert word for it -- and Mary had a new top made for it. The designer probably kept extra fabric for that eventual purpose.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
jean95404|1325564696|3093866 said:

So, you agree with me that the top/bodice is new :) I've always thought it was very nice to see an Empire style dress with this Napoleonic parure :) I must say I'm more in favour of the dress' look with the landeau neckline, though.

JewelFreak|1325616502|3094152 said:
According to the Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor, it was originally a maternity dress -- didn't look like it in the photos to me, but I'll take her expert word for it -- and Mary had a new top made for it. The designer probably kept extra fabric for that eventual purpose.

Back in January 2007, The Crown Princess was still in the first half of her pregnancy with her & The Crown Prince's second child, Princess Isabella. The bump was not as obvious as Princess Marie's at the New Year Court in 2009, but nevertheless it is a maternity dress.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The second of the New Year Courts (for the Diplomatic Corps) was hepd today in Copenhagen in the presence of HM The Queen & HRH The Prince Consort and TRH The Crown Prince & Crown Princess.
As per usual, The Queen wore her fur trimmed blue ensemble wih the devant-de-corsage from the pearl parure and (I think) the top part of the earrings from the same set:
PPE12010186.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010186.jpg

The Crown Princess wore the top part of her diamond loop earrings with a round pearl and the diamond Monpezat brooch at the back of her hair do:
PPE12010184.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2012/PPE12010184.jpg

Close-up of HRH's earrings and brooch:
MaryNYC2012.2.jpg

More pix can be seen here: http://www.bt.dk/royale/de-kongelige-inviterede-til-nytaarskur
It's a great joy to see the much decorated gentleman in the photo before the last. Any guesses which country he represents (a monarchy, I suppose)?
Also, I never cease to be surprised by the size of The Queen's stars... Imagine how much they must weight!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Do you remeber our discussion on a brooch that was worn by Elizabeth II in Scotland at the opening of the new Parliament sometime in the early 1990s? Well, here you can see a close-up of this traditional Scotish brooch in this video (see link).
Back at the time, I suggested that it might be this brooch, which belonged to Prince Albert and I think I'm right.

You can watch the video (which is in fact Part 1 of a documentary of Elizabeth, Queen of Scots) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFQdaaecVXU&feature=player_embedded

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I just finished watching Part 1 of an interesting documantary about King George V and Queen Mary, called King George and Queen Mary: The Royals Who Rescued the Monarchy. There I noticed a rather interesting footage of the then Duchess of York and furture Queen Elizabeth wearing three of her Cartier bracelets as a bandeau and a sautoir in diamonds and coloured stones. Going by what I know about the bandeau and the dark colour of the stones, it might be in diamonds and sapphires. What do you, guys, think? Is something know abiut this necklace?

Here are two screenshots:
queenmum_bandeau.jpg
36263.jpg

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Have never seen the necklace before, very interesting. Bobby is it also safe to assume that QE2 now has the Cartier bracelet? They have always been a personal favorite of mine. :love: Would be a shame if they were separated and sold off. Don't remember them being sold at the late Princess Margaret auction.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I am very curious when Queen Victoria had to return jewels to the House of Hanover, what jewels exactly were turned over? Does anyone have any pictures of them either in original or modified form? Who owns them now - Princess Caroline's estranged husband?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1325480874|3093315 said:

Svensk Damtidning's Kungliga Modebloggen has two very nice photos of the hair pins. You can see hem here:
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam.se/files/2012/01/Bild-42.png
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam.se/files/2012/01/Bild-61.png

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1325801339|3095978 said:
I am very curious when Queen Victoria had to return jewels to the House of Hanover, what jewels exactly were turned over? Does anyone have any pictures of them either in original or modified form? Who owns them now - Princess Caroline's estranged husband?

We have the dispute over Queen Charlotte's jewels before, but as I'm also interested in the case, here's what I've posted before:
Among the jewels that were awarded to Hannover are a diamond riviere abd cross, Queen Charlotte's sleeve ornaments in the form a bow brooches, two pairs of diamond earrings, a pearl necklace and earrngs and some of the diamonds that were set in Queen Victoria's Regal circlet. These diamonds (in the Regal circlet) were originally set in Queen Charlotte's grand stomacher, which was a wedding present. Jewels that also went to Hannover were the Arcots and the Cumberland diamonds and Queen Charlotte's small diamond crown (also a wedding present, it was also worn by Queen Frederika of Greece on her wedding day). These are just the well know jewels, but there sure were some other pieces, as can be see in the photos.
You can see some of these jewels in these photos:
The stomacher and the Arcots - http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1762_queen_charlotte_by_all.jpg
The cross and one of the pairs of earrings - http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1762_charlotte_of_mecklenbu.jpg
The (quite exagorated) crown - http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/queen_charlotte_by_sir_josh.jpg

And here are some photos of Princess Thyra, Crown Princess of Hannover & Duchess of Cumberland wearing some of Queen Charlotte's jewels:
The cross, bow brooches and the large diamond riviere (in her hair) - http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/thyrahertugindecumberland.jpg
Wearing the diamond cross and two rivieres (the upper one must be QCh's) - http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6234/6264236632_b46f046419_o.jpg
Again the cross (in a portrait after Tuxen's famous painting) - http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1885_princess_thyra.jpg

Odd as it is, Princess Thyra is the only person I've seen with any of the jewels, though I know that her mother-in-law has worn them. What I find rather fascinating is that the Duchess of Cumberland had access to jewels her sister Alexandra would've worn in other circumstances.

Hope this was of help, laurensmama!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1325800726|3095976 said:
Have never seen the necklace before, very interesting. Bobby is it also safe to assume that QE2 now has the Cartier bracelet? They have always been a personal favorite of mine. :love: Would be a shame if they were separated and sold off. Don't remember them being sold at the late Princess Margaret auction.

I can assure you that HM The Queen is the current owner of Queen Elizabeth's Cartier bracelets. I have seen (and have posted here) a picture of HM wearing the emerld and the two diamond bracelets at the return dinner during the Italian State Visit in 2005. Elizabeth II was also wearing the Durbar necklace and the Cambridge emerald earrings.
I have also always liked these bracelets and think it's pity that they are not worn more often.

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your as usual well informed reply. I hope the cartier bracelets come out more often and I especially enjoy when they are worn in unusual ways like the late Queen Mother did when she was Duchess of York. So I am assuming the Hanover jewels are still with the family?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results