shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Bobby, to return for a second to Farah's emerald parure -- the necklace is absolutely beautiful, but to me the shape of the tiara's lower edge is awkward. She wears it well, but she'd look good in a paper bag. Not too graceful on some other women who wear them with that line. Personal opinion, of course. The emeralds are to drool.

-- Laurie

I know, Laurie. I also think that it's not the pretiest tiara but it worked with the hair style back at the time. Seems that Farah has/had another opinion about it, though. And you're right that she'd look good even with a paper bag on.
I don't know why but you can see that heart shaped motif at the base in most of Winston's tiaras for the Iranian family. About the necklace I can add that it can be worn sans the emerald drops.
Bobby

5434936.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama said:
Yes that is it. Was wondering if anyone else knew anything more about it. It just looked so different, hope it has not been broken up.

It was made for her husband's investiture as Prince of Wales by Boucheron (also said by JF). It was later dismantled and (IIRC) the stones were used in the Delhi Durbar tiara. But I'm not sure about my last statement... Maybe someone can confirm this?

Bobby

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny said:
tourmaline_lover said:
Imdanny said:
JewelFreak said:
I came across this as I roamed around. Couldn't resist passing it on. Camilla in the QM's finery -- looks like she was playing in her mum's closet. Sorry, the devil made me say it.

Why does she think we want to see her cleavage? Please, please, no more cleavage, wear all the jewels, call yourself the Queen of England, just please no more cleavage. :errrr:

Are you kidding, I wish they would block out her face!! I rather look at her cleavage. Maybe she's trying to draw attention away from her face. LOL! I know, I know, I'm mean, but it is quite shocking to be looking at all these beautiful photos of Grace Kelly, Fawzia, Caroline, and then :errrr: Camilla. I know not all royals are beautiful, but I cannot see anything at all attractive about the woman, and absolutely no amount of jewels help. Slap my hand, sorry, had to get that off my chest.

No reason to be sorry! Since we're going to have a royals/ royal jewels thread we should say what we really think about Camilla! :Up_to_something:

Fine, well then allow me: I think she is much more dignified the the late Princess of Wales. Toward the end of her life Diana's problems had taken a huge toll on her and it showed in her actions. And the blame is not entirely Charles--Diana was a grown woman with many indiscretions of her own.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Can someone help me? I'm making a list of the tiaras owned and worn by the late Queen Mother and at the end a had a list of 16 tiaras, including the sold amethyst tiara, the Regal Circlet (Crown), the double meander tiara (probably worn by Princess Anne once) and the bandeau with the quintet of bracelets. Do you think that this number is accurate? I can post it here if anyone is interested.

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Fine, well then allow me: I think she is much more dignified the the late Princess of Wales. Toward the end of her life Diana's problems had taken a huge toll on her and it showed in her actions. And the blame is not entirely Charles--Diana was a grown woman with many indiscretions of her own.

Amber St Claire,

Does she look regal? Not at all. Does she look good in clothes? No. Does she look good in jewels? No. Since these are the topics of the day, those are my honest opinions.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
080709people_diana--121558935534388800.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'll start with a 'Thank you' to Danny for the beautiful photos of Diana, Princess of Wales...and will continue with an appeal to all posters. This thread has changed a lot since LA started it and from a place where people shared photos an info about royal jewels it has became a mix of threads about royals and royal jewels. That is good, generally speaking, as there are many royals mentioned here and there are some questions about the lesser known ones (I remeber when I was asked about Simeon II & Constantine II's current roles). But there's always a discussion each and every time a photo of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall is posted here. I know I myself have stareted some of these discussions and points (and I apologise if I've offended someone), but lately there've been many posts about what an awful person she is and how she looks wearing the jewels that were once worn by the late Queen Mother. So, for the purpouses of this thread can we agree that Diana rocks, while Camilla suks? I know that there are people, including me, that do not share thuis oppinion but that's how we can put an end to countless posts about the poor second wife of HRH The Prince of Wales.

With worm regards to all postrs,
Bogdan

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
I'll start with a 'Thank you' to Danny for the beautiful photos of Diana, Princess of Wales...and will continue with an appeal to all posters. This thread has changed a lot since LA started it and from a place where people shared photos an info about royal jewels it has became a mix of threads about royals and royal jewels. That is good, generally speaking, as there are many royals mentioned here and there are some questions about the lesser known ones (I remeber when I was asked about Simeon II & Constantine II's current roles). But there's always a discussion each and every time a photo of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall is posted here. I know I myself have stareted some of these discussions and points (and I apologise if I've offended someone), but lately there've been many posts about what an awful person she is and how she looks wearing the jewels that were once worn by the late Queen Mother. So, for the purpouses of this thread can we agree that Diana rocks, while Camilla suks? I know that there are people, including me, that do not share thuis oppinion but that's how we can put an end to countless posts about the poor second wife of HRH The Prince of Wales.

Bogdan

I very much echo your statement, Bobby. Thank you for articulating it. Would you be willing to share your list of the QEQM's tiaras that she has worn? I'm curious to see it!

I agree that it's impossible to discuss royal jewels without speaking of the royals/people who wear them, but sometimes these discussions get out of hand. At the risk of sounding tactless, I'm sure I can say that none of us want to see a repeat of what happened on this board when a former poster took it upon herself to impose her ideas on the rest of us to an obscene degree. We're all adults here, opinions can be acknowledged and respected without animosity.

Danny, thank you very much for sharing your pictures of Lady Diana, and Diana B, thank you for sharing your pictures of Princess Grace, both sets are lovely.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
shadowed_rain said:
prince.of.preslav said:

Bogdan

I very much echo your statement, Bobby. Thank you for articulating it. Would you be willing to share your list of the QEQM's tiaras that she has worn? I'm curious to see it!

I agree that it's impossible to discuss royal jewels without speaking of the royals/people who wear them, but sometimes these discussions get out of hand. At the risk of sounding tactless, I'm sure I can say that none of us want to see a repeat of what happened on this board when a former poster took it upon herself to impose her ideas on the rest of us to an obscene degree. We're all adults here, opinions can be acknowledged and respected without animosity.

Danny, thank you very much for sharing your pictures of Lady Diana, and Diana B, thank you for sharing your pictures of Princess Grace, both sets are lovely.
Really shadowed rain? :roll:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please stop the personal insults, including those to people not on this thread, or this thread will be closed.

Differing opinions need to be respected.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
Can someone help me? I'm making a list of the tiaras owned and worn by the late Queen Mother and at the end a had a list of 16 tiaras, including the sold amethyst tiara, the Regal Circlet (Crown), the double meander tiara (probably worn by Princess Anne once) and the bandeau with the quintet of bracelets. Do you think that this number is accurate? I can post it here if anyone is interested.

Bobby
Yes, please share your list, I am really curious! 16 is a large number, I only have 8 tiaras for her. But I only counted those of which I have pictures of the Queen Mother wearing them. Also I don't know about those bracelets; could you post a picture of them?

dianab

Rough_Rock
Grace Patricia Grimaldi

GraceKelly_unk_22.jpg

gracekels3.jpg

GraceMonaco.jpg

GracePersepolis.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, you mentioned the Diamond Loop Tiara's having been broken up to become part of the Delhi Durbar Tiara. I've spent the last day trying to find something on that -- on the internet all I can dig up is that the Delhi Durbar was made from "diamonds already owned by the Royal Family." Haven't checked Menkes or Fields but figure you would have -- and you have far more books on the subject than I do. Where did you read that? I'm curious about it.

I'd like to see QEQM's list of tiaras also -- can come up with around 8. Unveil it! And thanks in advance.

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Medieval jewel, TL: Last night, browsing through a book on early British jewels, I came upon this adorable thing. Promptly fell in love.

It's called the Dunstable Swan, having been found in a dig in Dunstable, Beds., made around 1400. It was a sort of badge worn to show allegiance to a specific family. Swans were used often as family devices to relate that family to a Swan Knight of legend, who floated on a river in a boat drawn by swans, to rescue a lady in distress. The most prominent family to use it were the de Bohuns -- Henry IV's first wife was Mary de Bohun & apparently the swan became also a Lancastrian symbol after this marriage.

This little fellow dates from the 1400s, made in France or England. He is created en ronde bosse, a method using thick opaque white enamel paste over gold. His feet retain traces of black enamel, as do the edges of his beak, but the beak itself seems to have been pink. The crown around his neck and the chain leading from it are gold, as is a pin & catch still attached to its back so it could be worn as a brooch. These would be passed out to high-ranking supporters or retainers, examples with lesser-value material to lower folks.He now resides at the British Museum. Isn't he the most adorable thing you ever saw? Strutting along, proud of himself as a Royal Swan.

--- Laurie

P.S. Forgot to mention, he is a little over an inch tall, 3.3 cm.

DunstableSwan.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
dianab said:
Grace Patricia Grimaldi

Dianab, thank you hor another set of new photos of Princess Grace. The one with the ruby hair ornament is a new one to me. Do you have any info about this piece.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Bobby, you mentioned the Diamond Loop Tiara's having been broken up to become part of the Delhi Durbar Tiara. I've spent the last day trying to find something on that -- on the internet all I can dig up is that the Delhi Durbar was made from "diamonds already owned by the Royal Family." Haven't checked Menkes or Fields but figure you would have -- and you have far more books on the subject than I do. Where did you read that? I'm curious about it.

I'd like to see QEQM's list of tiaras also -- can come up with around 8. Unveil it! And thanks in advance.

--- Laurie

Hmm, guess I was totally wrong this time. But don't forget that in the initial post I said that I'm not sure about that statement. It was long ago when I read about this subject, so I'm really sorry.
Books - Laurie, I don't know why you have the impression that I have books about royal jewels. The truth is that the only book about jewels (royal or not) is Hans Nedelhoffer's Cartier. I have some more books about royals but none of them is about Queen Mary. All the information I'm sharing here with you is from the net.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
For everyone that is awaiting the list of tiaras owned and worn by the Queen Mother:

The tiaras she's worn in public:
1. Boucheron Honeycomb tiata
2. the Orintal Circlet
3. the Papyrus tiara - later worn by Princess Margaret
4. the Teck Circle tiara/necklace
5. Turquoise tiara (part of a parure)
6. the Strathmore Rose tiara
7. Queen Mary's fringe tiara
8. Princess Victoria (aunt of GVI)'s fringe tiara
9. the Scroll tiara
10. Delhi Durbar dideme
11. Aquamarine tiara (now with Princess Anne)
12. the Teck Crescnt tiara
13. the bracelets bandeau*
14. the Regal Circlet/Crown

Tiaras she's suposingly owned:
15. a double meander tiara, probably worn by Princess Anne
16. the sold amethyst tiara (part of a parure)

If some tiaras are unknow to you, please let me know so that I can post photos.

*this is a photo Queen Elizabeth's quintet of bracelets by Cartier - an emerald, a ruby, a sapphire and two diamond ones. In her early years as Duchess of York and later as Queen she wore them a lot and at least once as bandeau. In rescnet years, Elizabeth II has worn at least three of these bracelets.

QMBertiejkjMay.jpg

qmcbtdf.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Bobby, didn't mean to imply ANY criticism. You're right far more often than I am, that's for sure. I assumed you had several books because you often dig up stuff I haven't found online. The previous incarnation of gems in these pieces is interesting & it's possible what you read about the Diamond Loop was right.

Love the 4 bracelets, always wished I had at least 2 of them whenever I saw them. I'd settle for one!

--- Laurie

dianab

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
dianab said:
Grace Patricia Grimaldi

Dianab, thank you hor another set of new photos of Princess Grace. The one with the ruby hair ornament is a new one to me. Do you have any info about this piece.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

I was thinking that ornament & earrings were the same that Grace used in this event of Iran Family Royal:

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/imperia ... polis.html

I'm very NOT sure about this, MAYBE Grace used ornament & earring in another event of Iran Family Royal.

GracePortrait.jpg

gracerainersmilechimneyearly56.jpg

graceranier.jpg

gracerose.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak said:
Medieval jewel, TL: Last night, browsing through a book on early British jewels, I came upon this adorable thing. Promptly fell in love.

It's called the Dunstable Swan, having been found in a dig in Dunstable, Beds., made around 1400. It was a sort of badge worn to show allegiance to a specific family. Swans were used often as family devices to relate that family to a Swan Knight of legend, who floated on a river in a boat drawn by swans, to rescue a lady in distress. The most prominent family to use it were the de Bohuns -- Henry IV's first wife was Mary de Bohun & apparently the swan became also a Lancastrian symbol after this marriage.

This little fellow dates from the 1400s, made in France or England. He is created en ronde bosse, a method using thick opaque white enamel paste over gold. His feet retain traces of black enamel, as do the edges of his beak, but the beak itself seems to have been pink. The crown around his neck and the chain leading from it are gold, as is a pin & catch still attached to its back so it could be worn as a brooch. These would be passed out to high-ranking supporters or retainers, examples with lesser-value material to lower folks.He now resides at the British Museum. Isn't he the most adorable thing you ever saw? Strutting along, proud of himself as a Royal Swan.

--- Laurie

P.S. Forgot to mention, he is a little over an inch tall, 3.3 cm.

That is so cool Laurie,

Thank you for sharing!!!! It actually looks like it could be a modern piece. Princess Grace sometimes wore animal related jewelry quite like that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Order of the Golden Fleece chain owned by Phillip III, Duke of Burgundy (c. 1450).

I love medieval chains of state.

583px-Golden_Fleece_dsc02934.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sir Thomas More, head Chancellor of King Henry VIII and future Saint. Detail of his chain of state. Painted by Holbein in the early 16th century. Note the symbol of Tudor England, the rose, hanging from it.

ThomasMorechain.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
I'll start with a 'Thank you' to Danny for the beautiful photos of Diana, Princess of Wales...and will continue with an appeal to all posters.

Bobby, you are most welcome and I do most sincerely apologize for my comments that caused your discomfort. I will endeavor not to take make any more similar comments in the future. Thank you for your list of the Queen Mother's tiaras. To be honest, many of these tiaras are unknown to me and I'd like to see as many pictures as you have.

Diana, thank you for your beautiful pictures.

Sithathoriunet, a most warm welcome back to you.

JewelFreak, thank you for the picture of the duck. I've made it my desktop. It reminds me of the ring and chain I'm getting from Cartier.

TL, thank you for your pictures. I too like medieval chains of state very much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results