shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here is Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium''s family.

In this photo are: son Gabriel, husband Crown Prince Philippe, daughter Elizabeth who will inherit after her father, and Mathilde carrying their second son Emanuel.

mathildephilippefamily.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
In this photo are Philippe pushing Emanuel in the stroller, Elizabeth, Mathilde and Gabriel.

mathildephilippefamily1.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great one of the kids, Gabriel, Emanuel and Elizabeth with Mathilde in the background. I think Mathilde''s children all look so similar to one another!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great one of the kids, Gabriel, Emanuel and Elizabeth with Mathilde in the background. I think Mathilde''s children all look so similar to one another!

mathildephilippefamily2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Adorable photo of Mathilde on a see-saw with Emanuel, Gabriel and Elizabeth. Mathilde is also currently pregnant with her fourth child.

mathildephilippefamily3.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The future Queen Elizabeth of Belgium.

futurequeenelizabethofbelgium.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock

Interrupting the family portraits to post these photos of the Queen at the Remembrance Day wreath laying ceremony in England today. One thing the Royals take very seriously is their service in the armed forces and their duty to honor those who have given their lives and fought for their country. This year a huge contingent of Royals turned out for the ceremony and it was the first year that Prince William has laid a wreath.

This is the Queen with Princess Anne the Princess Royal behind her and you can just see Prince Charles in the background as well.

queenremebranceday2007.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Queen wore "Queen Mary''s Dorset Bow Brooch" which was presented to Queen Mary in 1983 as a wedding gift from the county of Dorset. It is one of serveral diamond bow brooches the Queen owns.

queenrembranceday2007a.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
hello LadyAmy,
what are your opinions of the jewels in the royal collection that were gifts to the british crown from India and its rulers while under british rule?i know that Diana recieved some beautiful sapphires from these rulers.I have grown to appreciate these pieces.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Cubitt Tiara that Camilla wore at her wedding and to at least one function at Buckingham Palace in 2005. Her daughter, Laura, wore it at her wedding, too, and it is now known as the Shand Tiara (Shand being Camilla''s-the Duchess of Cornwall''s-maiden name).

By the way, the English newspapers had photos of Camilla "tearing up" at the service for war widows on Remembrance Day. It explained that Camilla''s grief over the loss of her highly decorated father, Major Bruce Shand, was very raw and was surely reawakened by the ceremonies of the weekend. She seems to be a thoroughly nice woman.

Deborah
34.gif

TheShandTiaraCubitt.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a lovely tiara. It looks simple at a glance, but it actually has a lovely motif up close.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady Amythyst''s thread and the photographs supplied by her and others (such as SanDiegoLady) got me interested in royal jewelry. It has caused me to spend a lot of time reading forums (fora) about royalty and royal jewelry and then to go bouncing off to do Internet research on history and to read English newspapers on-line. Today I got myself embroiled in the story of the diamond and ruby parure worn by Crown Princess Mary of Denmark in some pictures Lady Amythyst posted many pages back in this thread.

I have two more pictures of her in the same tiara and matching gems, known as the Désirée parure, as well as this one of Queen Ingrid in the set. I can also provide you with the history behind it, which I have now come to find fascinating. The set is strongly associated with Queen Ingrid, who made the tiara look the way it does today, so I thought I should lead off with her picture.

Deborah
34.gif

RubyParure3.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marshall Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte had this ruby and diamond parure commissioned in Paris for his wife, Désirée Clary, to wear to the coronation of Napoleon Bonaparte (Napoleon I). She did wear it to his coronation!

Small rubies were clustered to give the appearence of larger rubies. Jean Baptiste and Désirée went on to become King Carl XIV Johan and Queen Desideria of Sweden.

The tiara was brought to Denmark by Louise, "Swan", of Sweden who was the grandmother of Queen Ingrid's husband. (You remember Queen Ingrid from the picture above this one, right?)

Deborah
34.gif

RubyParure1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
King Christian and Queen Alexandrine gave Princess Ingrid the Désirée tiara on the occasion of her wedding to their son, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, in 1935. It became her personal possession. It was only half its present size and was not well known despite its long history, because it was not often worn. Queen Ingrid (later Queen Mother Ingrid) decided to have its matching corsage added to it to give it extra height. She wore it regularly and it is still associated with her. Upon her death she left it to Crown Prince Frederik, to whom it belongs, personally, which is why his wife the Crown Princess Mary is currently wearing it.

Deborah
34.gif

RubyParure2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peter Phillips, son of Princess Anne (the Princess Royal) and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips, is engaged to be married. His will be the first royal wedding in Great Britain since that of Prince Charles. He is engaged to a Canadian woman named Autumn Kelly.

Mark Phillips was born on November 15, 1977 and is the only son of the Princess Royal (the Queen''s only daughter). He and his sister, Zara Philips, were the first grandchildren of a British monarch to be given no royal title or style. Peter Phillips has no royal duties and works for the Royal Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh. He will be the first of the Queen''s grandchildren to marry. He is currently tenth in line to the throne. There has been speculation in the press that his marriage could make him ineligible for the throne since his fiancée is a Roman Catholic. (After the Stuart rebellions the Act of Settlement made it unlawful for a British monarch to be Catholic or to marry a Catholic.)

Deborah
34.gif

PeterPhillips1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a photo of Peter Phillips with his fiancée, Autumn Kelly.

PeterPhillipsAutumnKelly.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and again.

PeterPhillipsAutumnKelly2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and a third time for good luck.

PeterAutumn.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew you would want to see the engagement ring. It reportedly cost 80,000 pounds ($160,000). I don''t know who would know that.

AutumnKellyERing.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another hand shot of Autumn wearing the ring.

AutumnKellyEring2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and a final shot of Autumn sporting the ring.

Deborah
34.gif

AutumnKellyEring3.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I like Peter - he seems to have his head on straight. They haven''t announced when or where the wedding will take place although I''m sure it will be a private wedding anyway. They will probably be able to film the bride entering the church and perhaps the wedding party leaving - depending on where they have the wedding. But I think most likely we will just end up with some still photos that they release to the public.

The last "royal" wedding in England was one of the Gloucester girls. There was film of the wedding party but other than that it was super low key.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 11:36:59 AM
Author: AGBF

Marshall Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte had this ruby and diamond parure commissioned in Paris for his wife, Désirée Clary, to wear to the coronation of Napoleon Bonaparte (Napoleon I). She did wear it to his coronation!

Small rubies were clustered to give the appearence of larger rubies. Jean Baptiste and Désirée went on to become King Carl XIV Johan and Queen Desideria of Sweden.

The tiara was brought to Denmark by Louise, ''Swan'', of Sweden who was the grandmother of Queen Ingrid''s husband. (You remember Queen Ingrid from the picture above this one, right?)

Deborah
34.gif
Thanks for all that info on the ruby parure - most of it was new to me. Beware - once you get hooked on the royals it leads you all over the place - there''s so much history behind everything.

Mary''s "ownership" of the ruby parure is a very unusual situation among the royals. Most of the jewels are "gifted" to the wearer for their lifetime and not actually given to them as personal property. I''m glad to see this set come back into the ruling branch of the family so that it can essentially be a part of the crown jewels now & we will see it for generations to come.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 9:02:36 AM
Author: Nicrez
Since this is a royals thread...

Prince Harry and his gal of three years have just called it quits. Or shall I say SHE has, based on his philandering:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/11/12/ap4327677.html

Cannot say I blame her. Even Mr. Prince should learn some discipline, though I am sure this is NOT a likely scenario. But good for her not being lulled by the glamour and deciding to have someone loyal to her. Will probably save her a lot of public heartache and humiliation down the road.

susi

Shiny_Rock
( Lady A posted: )

I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that, despite all of the assurances to the contrary that were issued at the time of their wedding, when the time comes Prince Charles will definitely make Camilla his Queen. The RF and Prince Charles in particular are obsessed with matters of precedence - there is no way he will let his wife rank lower than the wives of other sovereigns.

Anyone want to take my bet?

LadyA, I wouldn't bet against you for any amt of money
2.gif

It WILL happen!

susi

Shiny_Rock

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The Spanish Royal Family:

From the left - second in is Infanta Elena (just announced her separation from her husband on her left), King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, Crown Prince Felipe Prince of Asturias, and Infanta Cristina and her husband (who is an ex-soccer star I believe).

This photo was taken at the celebrations for the Queen of England''s Golden Wedding Anniversary.

spanishroyalsatqueengoldenwedding1997.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia with Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Princess Letizia the Prince and Princess of Asturias.

letiziaqueensofia.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results