clarity

Royal Jewels

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
new official wedding photo

crownprincess wedding.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Nice pictures Josefine! and nice to see you back here!

They are a lovely couple, aren''t they? Seems that Daniel has recovered from the surgery.
Seeing this latest official pics we can say that Victoria won''t wear the Baden fringe or the Six button tiaras on her wedding day. Chances that we''ll see the Cameo tiara are becomming bigger and bigger!

Bobby

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Speak of the devil! :)

I love the new pictures.
Victoria looks like something in between a model and a Queen (with a large Q)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Anyone knows how tall The Crown Princess and her fiancé are? I remember a picture of The King and his cousin Margrethe II and she looked much taller that him. As well as hur husband, Queen Silvia isn''t tall. That would mean that no of their children isn''t tall ...

On another note, here is what I''d like to see on either weddings this year - the aquamarine kokoshnik of CP Margaret. Either in a velvet case as a wedding present or adorning the head of Princess Margaretha:

49740802.jpg

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
Victoria''s wedding photos are fantastic!! Thank you, Josefine!
1.gif
The CP looks stunning. She must be around 1,72m or 5''7'''' and Daniel a bit taller (maybe 5''10'''' or 1,80m).

BTW, I think Princess Michael''s jewells shown above are true emeralds (I''m not 100% sure, though). The Kents - just like every other family- have inherited jewells, too. We don''t always buy them, right?

EmeraldBaroness

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/19/2010 7:26:03 AM
Author: robinj

Date: 1/17/2010 1:53:16 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav

Date: 1/17/2010 10:07:42 AM
Author: Christiana
From Princess Michael''s amazing collection:

Do you think these are real emeralds? The stones must be too expensive for the Michaels and (assuming that they''re real) I doubt that someone would wear them at such an informal occasion, even if you are Marie Christine...

Bobby
Great pictures, Bobby!

I''ve found this that I think have been posted here earlier. I think it could be the same green jewels (the drop looks the same, but the brooch itself looks a bit different. the earrings are hard to tell.) but this time at a formal occasion.
Hi, I''m new to this board.
1.gif
Great thread! After my sources these earrings here are indeed emeralds.

smaragdmariechristine121.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A golden crown of a Chinese empress, Ming dynasty, currently at display in the British Museum, London, United Kingdom.

Chinese_Empress_Crown.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Qing Dynasty
Height: 4cm
Length: 6.8cm

The ornament on the imperial crown is a free-standing sculpture of a dragon and the base is edged with lotus petals. Below the coiling dragon with its head turning back, there are sea water and cliff patterns. Big eastern pearls are embedded all around the dragon.

Such ornaments are often found on top of a crown worn by the emperor of the Qing Dynasty. This ornament involves various processing techniques like molding, hammering, engraving etc. It''s elaborate, full of life and highly ornamental.

imperialcrownoranment.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix crown worn by Emperor Wanli''s Empress Xiaoduan

phoenixcrown.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Detail on the phoenix crown.

detailpheonixcrown.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a painting of Song Dynasty Empress of Gaozong wearing such a crown.

Song_Dynasty_Empress_of_Gaozong.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another empress phoenix crown

empressphoenixcrown.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Nice pictures, TL! Thanks for sharing them. Now I see what you wanted to see on page 153. However, I still preffer the westernized pieces of the Imperial family of Japan.

Welcome to Pricescope, Emerald Baroness! Thanks for confirming that Princess Michael's jewels are real emeralds (I was sure, though) and posting the picture. This earrings were given to her by The Duchess of Windsor. I wonder what the beads in the multi row necklace are? Perhaps aquamarines? This seems to be a wedding. Am I right?

Have a grat time here,

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2010 1:22:32 PM
Nice pictures, TL! Thanks for sharing them. Now I see what you wanted to see on page 153. However, I still preffer the westernized pieces of the Imperial family of Japan.

Welcome to Pricescope, Emerald Baroness! Thanks for confirming that Princess Michael''s jewels are real emeralds (I was sure, though) and posting the picture. This earrings were given to her by The Duchess of Windsor. I wonder what the beads in the multi row necklace are? Perhaps aquamarines? This seems to be a wedding. Am I right?

Have a grat time here,

Bobby
I actually dislike the fact that Asian royalty has become so Westernized in their style of dress and jewels.

For the life of me, I cannot find any Japanese traditional royal jewels on the net. I tried.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL, don't get me wrong, please! I just prefer the more modern and Western-looking jewels to the traditional ones. I also don't like they naw tend to wear more modern jewels and clothes, but this is their own decision and we can't blame them for that. What's more, we see Empress Michiko wearing kimono (even on some official occasions) more often than Queens Silvia and Sonja and their children wearing a traditional Swedish, respectively Norwegian costume. Seems that the've preserved their culture (at least in terms of clothes and tea serving) more than some European contries. So can we blame them that sometimes they wear glittering jewels?

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2010 5:34:13 PM
TL, don''t get me wrong, please! I just prefer the more modern and Western-looking jewels to the traditional ones. I also don''t like they naw tend to wear more modern jewels and clothes, but this is their own decision and we can''t blame them for that. What''s more, we see Empress Michiko wearing kimono (even on some official occasions) more often than Queens Silvia and Sonja and their children wearing a traditional Swedish, respectively Norwegian costume. Seems that the''ve preserved their culture (at least in terms of clothes and tea serving) more than some European contries. So can we blame them that sometimes they wear glittering jewels?

Bobby
I''m actually bored with so many cultures trying to Westernize themselves. I prefer cultural differences, and I''m a huge fan of Asian art, costume and personal adornment. It seems that, to me, they are just trying to fit in with British royalty, as Peter the Great tried doing by eliminating all essense of traditional Russian costume and adornment. I do understand that they do occassionally wear kimonos, but I really would love to see more traditional dress. I agree it is very important to preserve one''s culture.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
First I''d like to say that I''m a fan of Doris Duke and just like her (and you) I respect and esteem the Eastern culture very much.

Peter I did much to make Russia the most powerful and famous Empire of its time and one of the best empires The World has ever known. He certanly made more things that just eliminate ''all essense of traditional Russian costume and adornment''. Serously, do you think that shaving the men''s beards and bestowing titles like in Germany caused and harm to Russia? He did other more important things like reforming the slavery and reorganising the army, just to name a few, and this are the things we should remember him with...and the The Great thing is just a recognition to that. That is just my 18 years old oppinion, though.

I agree with you that the imperial family is doing this in oreder to fit in with the Windsors. But after all the Japanese, just like any other people, are free to wear whatever they want to.
I''d like a world of cultural differences, but I think that we live in a globalizating world...with some weird global culture. And as I''ve said many times, during this process we should try to keep our identity as a nation and preserve our culture... And honestly I think that The Imperial family is doing it really well - wearing diamond tiaras and traditional kimonos only when necessarily.

Just a side note - Isn''t the tradition of giving our fiancees a diamond ring westernization too?

OK, I think this is enough off topic for now.

Bobby

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bobby,
I didn''t say that Peter the Great wasn''t a fine ruler, but that just that he changed a great deal of the culture in order to Westernize Russia. I know Peter felt that Russia was a primitive country, and he did try to modernize it, but he also cut out much of the beautiful costume and personal jewelry adornment that really had nothing to do with modernizing the country for the sake of making it a world power. That is what I disagree with. I actually do love traditional Russian costume and jewels, more so than Westernized ones. As you said, this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to clarify. I applaud the Japanese royal family for keeping with traditions, and to me, there is nothing more beautiful that traditional Japanese costume and adornment. I just wish I could find more on the net to share in this thread for each period in Japanese history and other Eastern Asian history as well with regards to royal personal adornments.

BTW, thank you for all your fine work making this thread such an important wealth of historical knowledge.

1.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
You are very, very welcome, TL! You know that this is a pleasure for me and I really enjoy all the other posts here.

I know what you said about Peter I, don't worry. I never hesitated you know what he did.

Really off topic, but Peter The Great didn't abandon the traditional dresses in Russia, he just introduces the more modern looking and comfortable West European clothes ;-)

Hope our opinions are clear now and it seems that we (partly) share them!

Here is a great discovery from today - the then Crown Princess Louise wearing the diamond tiara that is now woth Princess Desiree:

Crown Princess Louise of Sweden | Emerald Cross
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is something I think you''ll like - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna wearing a traditional russian dress, covered with emeralds, diamonds and pearls. The largest emerald once belonged to Catherine The Great:

GD_MP_emeralds_tc.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On 27th January at Christiansborg Palace, Queen Margrethe II hosted a Reception for memebrs of the Danish Government and EU MPs.
Princess Benedikte wore her diamond and pearl prong tiara, diamond and pearl earrings and four of her diamond stars on a chain (I think for the first time):

ppe10012785.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Maire - her wedding tiara, diamond cluster (or stud) earrings and a diamond & pearl brooch:

ppe10012766.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Crown Princess - her wedding tiara and earrins and a diamond brooch (a gift from Prince Consort Henrik). This time the tiara was placed rather upright and looked more substantial, IMO:

ppe10012772.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a link to a glittering video with the guests arriving - Video

The Queen - Parts of her turquoise set and her mother''s diamond floral tiara. To my surprise HM wore this dress in a very short time from it''s previous outing this year!

ppe10012771.jpg

Est Croissant

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 2:30:17 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/25/2010 1:22:32 PM

Welcome to Pricescope, Emerald Baroness! Thanks for confirming that Princess Michael's jewels are real emeralds (I was sure, though) and posting the picture. This earrings were given to her by The Duchess of Windsor. I wonder what the beads in the multi row necklace are? Perhaps aquamarines? This seems to be a wedding. Am I right?

Have a grat time here,

Bobby
I actually dislike the fact that Asian royalty has become so Westernized in their style of dress and jewels.

For the life of me, I cannot find any Japanese traditional royal jewels on the net. I tried.
Hi tourmaline_lover! The reason why you cannot find any Japanese traditional royal jewels is because Japanese royalties are NEVER big jewels fans...In history they didn't have crowns or tiaras as ancient Chineses royalties did. Actually in the Sengoku peroiod, noblewomen didn't wear anything at all on their hair. Gradually Japanese women started to wear some hair ornaments, but they are very modest. Here I have a picture for you~It's actually a stage photo of a Japanese historical drama.
Tenshoin.jpg

The character pictured is Tensho­in, also known as Atsuko. She is the wife of Tokugawa Iesada, the 13th Shogun of the Tokugawa shogunate of Japan. She's not a royal, but if you know about Japanese history, you will know that in Bakufu Period, the Shogun and the Emperor have equal dignity, and what is more important is that Shogun is the de facto ruler of Japan, so Shogun's wife (which is called Midaidokoro officially) is pretty much like the Queen of Japan.
Let's go back to the topic...You can see that the lady doesn't wear anything interesting on her hair. It's weird that ancient Japanese royalties and nobles do not have much interest in precious metals and gems ( but big savings for royal expenses!). Only luxurious cloth material is considered to be a mark of high rank.

BTW, I'm new to the thread. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to this amazing thread! I've learnt a lot!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope, Est Croissant! Thank you for the informative post!
*One small correction - Empress of Japan, not Queen ;-)

On 27th January HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visited The Church View Nursing Home in Swindon. The Duchess wore a new lovely pearl choker with diamond clasp:

18045960.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A happy birthday to Queen Beatrix of then Netherlands, who turned 72 today!

Here is the younger Queen wearing her favourite stones - sapphires:

glitter6020.JPG

Est Croissant

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2010 3:45:46 PM

On 27th January HRH The Duchess of Cornwall visited The Church View Nursing Home in Swindon. The Duchess wore a new lovely pearl choker with diamond clasp:
Thanks for the correction!
41.gif

Est Croissant

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2010 3:45:46 PM

Thanks for the correction!
41.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results