color
clarity

Royal Jewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2010 12:35:38 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Here is something I think you'll like - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna wearing a traditional russian dress, covered with emeralds, diamonds and pearls. The largest emerald once belonged to Catherine The Great:
Yes, that I LOVE!! It's so regal looking to me.

Thank you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 6:30:15 PM
Author: Est Croissant

Date: 1/25/2010 2:30:17 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/25/2010 1:22:32 PM
Nice pictures, TL! Thanks for sharing them. Now I see what you wanted to see on page 153. However, I still preffer the westernized pieces of the Imperial family of Japan.

Welcome to Pricescope, Emerald Baroness! Thanks for confirming that Princess Michael''s jewels are real emeralds (I was sure, though) and posting the picture. This earrings were given to her by The Duchess of Windsor. I wonder what the beads in the multi row necklace are? Perhaps aquamarines? This seems to be a wedding. Am I right?

Have a grat time here,

Bobby
I actually dislike the fact that Asian royalty has become so Westernized in their style of dress and jewels.

For the life of me, I cannot find any Japanese traditional royal jewels on the net. I tried.
Hi tourmaline_lover! The reason why you cannot find any Japanese traditional royal jewels is because Japanese royalties are NEVER big jewels fans...In history they didn''t have crowns or tiaras as ancient Chineses royalties did. Actually in the Sengoku peroiod, noblewomen didn''t wear anything at all on their hair. Gradually Japanese women started to wear some hair ornaments, but they are very modest. Here I have a picture for you~It''s actually a stage photo of a Japanese historical drama.
Tenshoin.jpg

The character pictured is Tensho­in, also known as Atsuko. She is the wife of Tokugawa Iesada, the 13th Shogun of the Tokugawa shogunate of Japan. She''s not a royal, but if you know about Japanese history, you will know that in Bakufu Period, the Shogun and the Emperor have equal dignity, and what is more important is that Shogun is the de facto ruler of Japan, so Shogun''s wife (which is called Midaidokoro officially) is pretty much like the Queen of Japan.
Let''s go back to the topic...You can see that the lady doesn''t wear anything interesting on her hair. It''s weird that ancient Japanese royalties and nobles do not have much interest in precious metals and gems ( but big savings for royal expenses!). Only luxurious cloth material is considered to be a mark of high rank.

BTW, I''m new to the thread. Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to this amazing thread! I''ve learnt a lot!
Est Croissant,
Thank you for the intriguing insight into royal Japanese adornments. It is true that I always saw fine fabrics, but no jewels in Japanese aristocracy. This is a great explanation, and welcome to Pricescope. I hope you continue to contribute to this and other threads. Regardless of the lack of jewels, I think the beautiful kimonos and simplistic adornments are equally as beautiful. While I love the ornate adornments of tradtional Russian and Chinese royalty, I love the simplicity of the lack of gems and jewels in traditional Japanese royal costume.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 9:31:28 PM

Author:Est Croissant

Thanks for the correction!

You're welcome! Such mistakes happen from time to time. Don't worry;-)

Date: 2/1/2010 10:37:46 PM

Author: tourmaline_lover

Yes, that I LOVE!! It's so regal looking to me.

Thank you!!
Regal indeed, but probably very heavy. Imagine the headache the kokoshnik caused her...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I have a question:

This is photograph of Queen Louise of Denmark with her daughter Queen Alexandra (then PoW) and her grand-daughter Princess Louise,Duchess of Fife.

And here are two links to paintings, commemorating the wedding of Prince George, Duke of York and Princess Mary of Teck (later King & Queen of Great Britain), from the Roayl Collection - Link 1 and Link 2.

Looking at the photo and the paintings and comparing the dresses and jewels these three ladies wore, do you think that they are the same and that the photograph was taken at the wedding?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s safe to say that it''s a distinct possibility that the photograph was taken on the same day. Who knows, perhaps the artist who painted the picture used the very photograph in question to assist in the painting. Queen Alexandra''s mother likely wouldn''t be present in England unless it were for a State event (i.e. a wedding, funeral, etc.), or furthermore, a State event closely linked to the family. I also find it interesting that the artist so vividly captured the faces, outfits, and jewelry of everyone present. S/he must have been going off of other photographs or sketches to procure such an accurate painting.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Shadowed rain. Taking photos before painting the painting makes a lot of sence. And I should say that that this was done even nowadays, because (royal) sitters can''t spend much time sitting. I remember a photo of Queen Victoria wearing an beautiful embroded dress with her diamond suit and the sunray tiara she gave her daughter Princess Beatrice. And later I saw a painting from Princess Maud of Wales and Prince Carl of Denmark''s wedding and HM was wearing the same dress and jewels. It was concluded on another site that such photos was taken before weddings, so that the author could reproduce the details of the dresses and jewels worn at the wedding.
I can post that if someone is interested.
And of course Queen Louise didn''t have much to do in England, but that''s something I hadn''t tought about.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Eight years ago (02.02.02) in Amsterdam at the Nieuwe Kerk, Willem-Alexander, Prince of Orange married argentinean Miss Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti.

A touching photo of the happy couple:

TangoTears-weddingofCPWi.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
You''ve probably know heard that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece''s second son is getting married to a womman called Tatiana Blatnik. Their engagement was announce on December 28 2009. Yesterday a press conference was held in Athens, Greece.

Two beautiful couples - Miss Blatnik & Prince Nikolaos and King Constantine II & Queen Anne-Marie:

Atina1.2.10.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And the engagement ring was shown. Not a WoW ering, but still nice and elegant. Hopefully the bride-to-be is happy with the choice. The Prince commented that the sapphire in the center belonged to The Queen, who gave it to him to create a ring for his fiancee (courtesy Boris from RJWMB).

tatianasering.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Is it a cabochon or cut stone?

I like "self created" rings much more to jeweller designs...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2010 5:21:03 PM
Author: alexander1917

I like 'self created' rings much more to jeweller designs...

A yellow gold bezel set cabochon sapphire, I think, with diamonds surounding the central stone and around the band.
Alexander, these 'self created' jewels also have more santimental value to the recipient than something you've just picked up from the store.
BTW, Marie-Chantal, spouse of Crown Prince Pavlos also got a cab sapphire and diamond ring ;-) I wonder if Queen Anna-Maria also supplied that stone...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
42 years ago HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark married HSH Richard, Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. Representatives from (almost) all royal Europe attended this glittering wedding.

Here is a link to many pictures from the wedding plus identification of the jewels worn - Benedikte and Richard, 3rd February 1968

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 3:50:57 PM

Date: 2/2/2010 5:21:03 PM

I like ''self created'' rings much more to jeweller designs...

A yellow gold bezel set cabochon sapphire, I think, with diamonds surounding the central stone and around the band.
Alexander, these ''self created'' jewels also have more santimental value to the recipient than something you''ve just picked up from the store.
BTW, Marie-Chantal, spouse of Crown Prince Pavlos also got a cab sapphire and diamond ring ;-) I wonder if Queen Anna-Maria also supplied that stone...

Bobby
This sentimantel value is what I mean. Many Royals designed some Jewels for thier wifes, like Prince Philip, Kaiser Wilhelm..and I think many more. For me an own design is also nicer - and not so often seen as the mass produced things....

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And most of these jewels are really beautiful... Think of the ring ang bracelet Prince Philip gave his Elizabeth 62 years ago. Also the House Diamond Parure from the Orange-Nassau collection (commissioned by a mother for her daughter).

Alexander, do you know what jewel(s) did the Kaiser design?

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 6:18:45 PM
And most of these jewels are really beautiful... Think of the ring ang bracelet Prince Philip gave his Elizabeth 62 years ago. Also the House Diamond Parure from the Orange-Nassau collection (commissioned by a mother for her daughter).

Alexander, do you know what jewel(s) did the Kaiser design?

Bobby
I think this Tiara was one of the many items for Dona
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-01286,_Kaiserin_Auguste_Viktoria.jpg

http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php?topic=10862.0

Philip designed also a bracelet for the 5th wed anniversary, and some brooches, there was also a rumor that some saphire and emeralds were of his design (HM wore those pieces some years ago)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing that information, Alexander. I''ve wondered where Emopress Augusta Victoria''s tiara came from many times.

Here is the lovely Fifth anniversary bracelet - Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion. Are there pictures of HM wearing it? These would be very much appreciated. What are these emerald and sapphire jewels that Prince Philip designed? Maybe we can find pictures...

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Have learned so much and truly enjoy seeing the jewels. What happened to the German royal family''s jewels after the Kaiser abdicated. Inherited, sold.... Thanks.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that''s the bracelet I mean. In Field''s book "the Queens Jewels" is a photo HM waring it.

As I know the jewels were all private.. so the Hohenzollern family owns still the crown and such things...In Doorn is also a very huge Safe, which I belive was not only for the table silber.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
After her husband's abdication, Dona managed to take with her the private jewels and some items from her previous life to Doorn. I belive that the most important pieces from the last Empress and Crown Princess Cecilie (and a crown!) are now with Prince Georg Friedrich, head of the Imperial family, and someday will grace his (eventual) wife.
Of course there are jewels that have left the main line of the family, if not the family at all, through the various marriages of the Hohenzollern princesses (wedding gifts), inheritances or the need of money.

There is something I was never able to answer myself, or through the various royalty sites I've visited - Why were the German royal, princely and duchal families left with their castles, jewels and money? This didn't happen in other abolished monarchis like Russia, Italy and Bulgaria.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for answering, Alexander. Unfortunately I don't have Mrs Field's book, or any other royal jewellery book for that matter.
What about the sapphire and emerald jewels designed by Prince Philip? Do you remember the occasion or the year when HM wore them?

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
of course it is only my suggestion, because the far east gifts are normally much grander style

film premiere

83698197.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Alexander,

The first emerald and diamond necklace wes actually a gift from Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan, ruler of Abu Dhabi. Here is a picture from the state banquet in HM's honour. Elizabeth II is wearing the necklace and bracelet from the suit as well as jewels from Queen Mary. I don't know why HM didn't wear the earrings:

SheikZayedbinSultan_emeralds.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 1:17:44 PM
diner with prime minister

Elizabeth II also wore this demi-parure during The King of Saudi Arabia's state visit in 2007. Since The Queen often wears jewels associated with her Arabian guests/hosts during State Visits, I think it's safe to assume that His Majesty is the presenter of this sappfires.
Perhaps the Saudi king has given these diamond and saphire jewels The Queen earlier, since the picture with Tony Blair was taken in 2002... I'll check for previous State Visits between these kingdoms, but it may have been a gift on a private occasion (The Golden Jubilee was in 2002). Of course you may be right about Prince Philip designing them for his Queen.

Bobby

Queen.Saudi.visit2007.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 1:19:06 PM
of course it is only my suggestion, because the far east gifts are normally much grander style

film premiere

Are you suggesting that this emerald and diamond suit is of eastrean provenance because of its grand style? I've wondered where it came from ever since I saw Elizabeth II wearing it...
BTW, I can understand why she hasn't worn it ever since;-)

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
what I mean is, for example, this necklace shows the much grander style of arabien gift ( see also necklaces worn recently by Camilla)... many thanks for solving one mystery....

56799923.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
The two photos of HM posted by alexander1917 are very interesting does anyone know more about them. Specifically the photo of HM getting out of a car (emeralds and diamond necklace, etc.) and the necklace and ear rings (red stone and diamonds). Are they from one of the Arab kingdoms, their history, on what other occasions have they been worn and does anyone have more pictures of them, I have never seen them before. As always wonderful!! Kerry

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi Laurensmama!

HM has worn the emerald and diamond necklace only once in public - at the Royal Film Premiere of "Ladies in Lavender" in 2004. I know nothing else about the necklace, but maybe it has Arabian provenance.
There is also a bracelet in the set:

3232.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results