shape
carat
color
clarity

Round help! 1.85 I SI1 True Hearts vs 1.9 I VS2

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’ve sent in my ring for an upgrade and went with the 1.85 after your help and guidance.
I guess I wasn’t satisfied completely with the spread (I haven’t seen the new diamond yet) and stumbled upon a new diamond that’s a bit larger.

Should I halt the upgrade and switch the diamond? I was looking for a bigger spread and the 1.9 is actually $200 cheaper than the 1.85 True hearts. I’ve heard conflicting things about James Allen True Hearts cuts.

the link for the 1.85 no longer works but here is a picture
E9D856E9-1BC0-4D60-AB05-65A36BC64BFC.png 13010E4E-0820-465D-BD4E-753935FEBE66.jpeg 7AA806F7-3AF2-470E-BAEF-E6D2E1FC0BCA.png
And the

1.9 is

9F517DD0-5700-4177-87AB-E1D21973BABF.png

the 1.9 does say additional clouds not shown.
The 1.85 has a white inclusion on the table.
I plugged in the numbers into diamdb and I can tell the difference although it’s small.
Any advice? Thank you ! 6CE1820F-6318-4FF0-9003-B68204540B5D.png

Attachments

• 36B591DB-E7D8-482A-B316-7783C4182B2D.png
    36B591DB-E7D8-482A-B316-7783C4182B2D.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 39

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Here is an image for the 1.85 true hearts

9401EA6F-D7EA-4F38-90FD-6C87126B2353.png

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Can you guys forgive me for including the vendors? I didn’t know I shouldn’t include them. I tried to edit the post to remove it but am unable to and am just really in need of some help

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you guys forgive me for including the vendors? I didn’t know I shouldn’t include them. I tried to edit the post to remove it but am unable to and am just really in need of some help

That's only on the Show me the Bling forum.

Can you get an idealscope image on the 1.9?

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
That's only on the Show me the Bling forum.

Can you get an idealscope image on the 1.9?

I asked for one but they didn’t have one available. Working on limited info I know:confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on its specs the 1.90ct looks good to me.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Based on its specs the 1.90ct looks good to me.

Thank you! So “additional clouds not shown” is not worrisome right?

They say it’s hard to outdo the “true hearts” cut but That one has an inclusion On the table and I’ve heard that their true hearts cut is a premium not always worth it.

thank you!! Thank you!

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
1.90 ct looks good to me as well.

It's a better deal because you're not paying the BS "True Hearts" premium. Slightly bigger (although you won't notice it) but also better clarity.

I wouldn't worry about the additional clouds given its VS2. Looks pretty clear to me.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Thank you t
1.90 ct looks good to me as well.

It's a better deal because you're not paying the BS "True Hearts" premium. Slightly bigger (although you won't notice it) but also better clarity.

I wouldn't worry about the additional clouds given its VS2. Looks pretty clear to me.

Thank you thank you! I appreciate your responses so much! I feel so much happier now (my finger size is 8 so the bigger the better albeit small increase), they really do trick you with the true hearts!! Thanks for calling it!
Can’t thank you all enough:appl: I will let them know now to change it I can’t wait:kiss2:

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
agreed 1.9 vote as well

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Last question I promise!

My diamond advisor scared me saying that both are lovely but the true hearts diamond would sparkle more since it was cut better. (But there’s an inclusion so isn’t the other one better?) Is there such a thing as being too picky? Anyone familiar with True Hearts? Would you pick a more sparkly diamond with an inclusion on the table or a “less” sparkly diamond with an excellent HCA score with no visible inclusion that’s also the slightest bit larger (and cheaper)

Last edited:

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Last question I promise!

My diamond advisor scared me saying that both are lovely but the true hearts diamond would sparkle more since it was cut better. (But there’s an inclusion so isn’t the other one better?) Is there such a thing as being too picky? Anyone familiar with True Hearts? Would you pick a more sparkly diamond with an inclusion on the table or a “less” sparkly diamond with an excellent HCA score with no visible inclusion that’s also the slightest bit larger (and cheaper)

Only " your eyes " can determine how sparkly a diamond is. You have been given great advice and James Allen True Hearts brand isn't a True Hearts and Arrows most of the time.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Only " your eyes " can determine how sparkly a diamond is. You have been given great advice and James Allen True Hearts brand isn't a True Hearts and Arrows most of the time.

Thank you. This makes me feel so much better. I picked the 1.9 and halted the upgrade of the 1.85, being inexperienced of course I second guess myself even with that.
Luckily they were understanding! We get so caught up and as they say the devil is in the details. Thankful for you diamond gurus:kiss2:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Who's your "Diamond Advisor" The JA rep? If so you can just ignore them.

True Hearts / Astor is a marketing thing. They pick diamonds with good proportions, slap the label on them and charge a premium. Sometimes these diamonds aren't even that decent to be honest.

However, if you're willing to do the legwork, there are TONs of diamonds on BN/JA that have ideal proportions without those marketing labels (and the attached price premium). In this case, you're getting a bigger stone, better clarity and better inclusion profile for LESS money. That's a win.

On paper (which is all the JA rep has to go on) there is nothing that suggests the 1.85 is cut better than the 1.9.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Who's your "Diamond Advisor" The JA rep? If so you can just ignore them.

True Hearts / Astor is a marketing thing. They pick diamonds with good proportions, slap the label on them and charge a premium.

However, if you're willing to do the legwork, there are TONs of diamonds on BN/JA that have ideal proportions without those marketing labels (and the attached price premium). In this case, you're getting a bigger stone, better clarity and better inclusion profile for LESS money. That's a win.

If I could hug you right now I would. That made my night:lol: you are 110% right!!!Thank you!!!
the marketing gimmicks work and I feel so bad for those that don’t have guidance. What would I have done without you guys. A lesson for all future seekers indeed

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
so true, the rep is just trying to up sell you. The 1.9 is a great find and I’m so happy you finally got that 8mm spread

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
I can’t wait to see her and share :) :) thank you everyone again

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's your old link to the JA 1.85 TH stone.

I'm not really a fan of the JA TH line either, but we should be fair in saying the one advantage this stone does offer is it has both an idealscope and hearts image that looks pretty good.

That said I do prefer the proportions of the 1.90 stone also. Really love that small 55 table combined with the 34.5/40.8 combo. And while it does lack images, most combos in that range are performers.

Keep in mind, the note "additional clouds not shown" is not necessarily bad. It can potentially be bad in lower clarity stones where clouds are the grade setting inclusion. It's more like a death sentence in an S12 stone. It can be problematic in SI1 stones. And while I don't think you can ignore it altogether in a VS2 stone, the odds of it being problematic are pretty slim. Still, I think it's wise to ask JA's gemologist to review the stone and confirm there are no clarity issues. It's a free deal to you, and provides some reassurance.

There is another note regarding clouds that is downright scary -- "grading based on clouds not shown" almost certainly means you have transparency issues, and IMO it's almost an immediate reject unless you have extraordinary circumstances. Thankfully, neither of these stones have that note.

All that said, you are probably okay. Just have JA check it.

Also, for grins I did a side by side pic of the 1.85 and 1.90 to compare color, as you can sometimes variance. I see a little, but it's not much. To me, the 1.90 looks a little whiter. What are your thoughts?

Capture190.PNG

Last edited:

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
1.9 def looks whiter based on that side-by-side.

JA does really good videos, most of the time you can use it to gauge color, unlike BN who's low res videos and inconsistent paper colors make color assessment almost impossible.

Novicenovice

Rough_Rock
Here's your old link to the JA 1.85 TH stone.

I'm not really a fan of the JA TH line either, but we should be fair in saying the one advantage this stone does offer is it has both an idealscope and hearts image that looks pretty good.

That said I do prefer the proportions of the 1.90 stone also. Really love that small 55 table combined with the 34.5/40.8 combo. And while it does lack images, most combos in that range are performers.

Keep in mind, the note "additional clouds not shown" is not necessarily bad. It can potentially be bad in lower clarity stones where clouds are the grade setting inclusion. It's more like a death sentence in an S12 stone. It can be problematic in SI1 stones. And while I don't think you can ignore it altogether in a VS2 stone, the odds of it being problematic are pretty slim. Still, I think it's wise to ask JA's gemologist to review the stone and confirm there are no clarity issues. It's a free deal to you, and provides some reassurance.

There is another note regarding clouds that is downright scary -- "grading based on clouds not shown" almost certainly means you have transparency issues, and IMO it's almost an immediate reject unless you have extraordinary circumstances. Thankfully, neither of these stones have that note.

All that said, you are probably okay. Just have JA check it.

Also, for grins I did a side by side pic of the 1.85 and 1.90 to compare color, as you can sometimes variance. I see a little, but it's not much. To me, the 1.90 looks a little whiter. What are your thoughts?

Capture190.PNG

I was wondering what you’re input would be on these two! :bigsmile:Thank you :) At first I filtered out any additional clouds not shown reports but I’m glad I caught this stone and ignored that. I do hope it’s okay! I definitely see a difference in color, the 1.9 being whiter. The 1.85 looks a little bit clearer (or is it that it just has more contrast?) in that photo but I’m so settled on the 1.9. I can’t wait to see it. It’s going to be a long ten days waiting for this :)

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad I could chime in. If you are ever curious you can tag me by adding the @ symbol in front of my name.

As far as one stone being clearer, I wouldn't put too much stock in that based on the side by side I threw together. I had both stones open in Chrome under two separate tabs. I used the built-in Win10 snipping tool to screen cap the video in motion (at approximately the same location).

When I took them I noticed a little bit of a blur that occurred.

Instead, I would look at the source video files directly on the JA site, as I have a feeling that blur/motion is a result of how I took the caps from video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results