shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Circular Brilliant Girdle Question

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a GIA round circular brilliant G color VS1 clarity. I noticed the girdle is extremely thin to slightly thick, is this something to be avoided?

IMG_6537.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I blocked out the GIA number and the seller's info since it has their personal name and address.

They are asking $500 @headlight

IMG_6538.jpg IMG_6539.jpg IMG_6540.jpg

headlight

Ideal_Rock
That's interesting... I've never seen a report with a person's identifying info!
Anyhow, so this is a cut that came after the Old European before the Modern Round Brill, from what I understand. If correct, I believe that these (and especially Old Europeans) don't have a lot of consistency with girdle thickness. So that would just be an inherent thing with the antique cuts.
Would love for someone else with more knowledge in this arena to respond.
With that said, this topic of thin-to-slightly thick came up just yesterday for a new stone cut by BGD for a H & A modern cushion and the experts said it was fine. In this case, it is extremely thin to slightly thick, so it is a variation over 4 thicknesses. Again, I think this may be normal with the older cuts, however I would want an expert to weight in on the extremely thin. Of course, it won't be extremely thin all the way around.
Is this a seller on a website, or a friend? Are you able to get the stone with a full return period so you could take to an appraiser skilled in the older cuts?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ headlight, yes full name and address, so obviously didn't want that out there.

There is a return policy, 14 days to contact and 30 to ship it back. I do have a gemologist that I go to so I'm sure she would be willing to check it out.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Are you okay with the slightly large cutlet? Just want to make sure. Again, common for these special stones.
Clarity & color are awesome.
What do you plan on using it for?
I don’t know how these are priced, but for that clarity & color $500 seems good.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you okay with the slightly large cutlet? Just want to make sure. Again, common for these special stones.
Clarity & color are awesome.
What do you plan on using it for?
I don’t know how these are priced, but for that clarity & color $500 seems good.

Hmmm that's a good question because the largest diamond I have had a very small culet.

If I end up buying it I have a platinum setting that is empty that I would set it in, it's old Art Deco.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circular brilliants can be so kewl!!!
In terms of girdle thickness- there's no inherent issue in the type of variation shown by the diamond in the report.
Not to say it's a stone to buy - without actually seeing it- but as a general rule, no issues with such girdle variations on this cut.
Many do have larger culets- which works well because many buyers of older stones love the large culet.

About GIA reports: Every report comes with a slip containing the name of the entity that submitted the stone to GIA- but this information is not made public- you'd need to see the actual slip to know it- you can't tell who submitted the stone from the report number.
I hope this helps!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA has their own standard to differentiate what they call an old European cut from a similar, but not quite the same Circular Round Brilliant. Most dealers ignore this somewhat arbitrary difference and deal with such diamonds mostly as if they were just one more OEC stone. Typical of older cuts are ext thin girdles. So, with a diamond of this weight and what reads as reasonably normal for an older cut diamond, I think you have no problem so long as you like the way it looks. The looks are very important to the choice. If the diamond was a much larger stone, then the price and financial elements become somewhat more important to consider. The more you spend, the more caution is called for.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that input @oldminer! I worry about extremely thin girdles because I have an OEC with a thin girdle that is very chipped, it was that way when I bought it. Glad to hear it's not a deal breaker.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is another question, I've been reading up on this cut and it says that "round circular brilliant" is the GIA name for transitional diamonds. Is that true? I thought transitionals didn't have a very apparent culet but I'm also not super familiar with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results