shape
carat
color
clarity

Roseanne cancelled

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The separating of immigrant children is coming on the heels for funding of more detention, AND less oversight on these detainees. It's a perfect storm to make these children more likely to be abused and trafficked. Truly horrifying. There is no reason to separate these children from their parents, other than to "punish" the parents.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard a professor (middle eastern) on the radio today saying that in the US, at least, attributing simian features to an ethnic group has always been a way of denigrating them and it was done to the Irish as well as to African-Americans here. That fascinated me. Especially since, once a man who had never seen me but got angry with me for some on-line nonsense attempted to insult me by saying I probably looked like an orangutan. Simian. Why not an elephant or a porcupine? That professor was right that people appear to go for the simian when they seek insults!

Deb/AGBF :read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no reason to separate these children from their parents, other than to "punish" the parents.

...and, as John Kelly said, to deter other poor Latinos from attempting to seek asylum here! After all, we need more Norwegians!

AGBF

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Remember the good old days when actors like Carrol O'Connor only acted like aggressively ignorant bigots? But really weren't in real life?

Now we have the likes of Roseanne and Kevin Spacey - so good at their many roles as bigot or creepy/evil predator, because hey! They don't have to act! It's who they are!!

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry the other actors got caught in the blowback from her foul mouth, but I'm glad she's not being inflicted on the country anymore. Or at least not via something purporting to be entertaining.

Karma.
It's a bitch.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that everyone around her who wanted to revamp her dead show already knew about her controversial viewpoints. Aside from all this, I'm so glad it was dealt with quickly. How about some original programming for once, and give some worthy people a chance? So sick of remakes. I feel like I've seen everything and now they're reinventing the same crud over and over. /rant

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry so many lost jobs because of her bad behavior. It was a horrible thing to say. Too bad, they couldn't just replace her. Like with so many public people who tweet, I ask myself, 'what was she thinking?'
Ms. Jarrett took the high road, and I thought she was full of grace and class.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
A few thoughts:

1) What celebrity in their right mind would tweet something that could blow their good fortune (and others hard work) all to hell? THIS is a special kind of stupid. Egotistically stupid, like her buddy Trump.

2) When you hire someone (ABC, I'm looking at you) who is already well known for "showing their ass", be prepared for the eventuality of a sh*t show and the clean up to follow.

3) Tom Arnold is laughing his ass off. And somewhere there are GIFs being made of him to commemorate this hullabaloo. This should be good for his next 15 minutes of fame.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get that the cancellation affected others who are now out of a job, but maybe it's their problem for selling out their beliefs to work with her in the first place. If anyone had asked me to do a show with Roseanne Barr knowing what I know about her, I'd have said "Not no, but HELL NO."

I get what you're saying, however in real life it is not that easy. If you're offered a job on a crew and work is slow, which it is at the moment (about 1/3 of crews in work according to my buddy in the industry) then you take it. Not taking it means you miss connections, opportunities, and jobs. The only way you pass over a job, especially at the moment, is if you have another job or are willing to chance that Gang Boss never asking you again. There are tons out of work in the film industry atm and it's a job that only pays when you're actually at work.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get what you're saying, however in real life it is not that easy. If you're offered a job on a crew and work is slow, which it is at the moment (about 1/3 of crews in work according to my buddy in the industry) then you take it. Not taking it means you miss connections, opportunities, and jobs. The only way you pass over a job, especially at the moment, is if you have another job or are willing to chance that Gang Boss never asking you again. There are tons out of work in the film industry atm and it's a job that only pays when you're actually at work.

That is the high cost of being an ally. Being a true ally means giving up gigs/promotions/readings/connections in the name of backing those (be it black, gay, trans...) who DON'T have an equal voice. That is allyship and sometimes it hits you right in the paycheck.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few thoughts:

1) What celebrity in their right mind would tweet something that could blow their good fortune (and others hard work) all to hell? THIS is a special kind of stupid. Egotistically stupid, like her buddy Trump.

Rosanne has been collecting residuals for years, I'll be she didn't think the stations airing her reruns would pull them, but I've read some are.

2) When you hire someone (ABC, I'm looking at you) who is already well known for "showing their ass", be prepared for the eventuality of a sh*t show and the clean up to follow.

Yep, they were seeing her as a ratings score. It's what they do, but look where it got them, this time.

3) Tom Arnold is laughing his ass off. And somewhere there are GIFs being made of him to commemorate this hullabaloo. This should be good for his next 15 minutes of fame.

I've already started to see them. Something like: so am I hirable again now? I don't know if he was blackballed, or he never could get work, until Roseanne made sure he did while they were together.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the high cost of being an ally. Being a true ally means giving up gigs/promotions/readings/connections in the name of backing those (be it black, gay, trans...) who DON'T have an equal voice. That is allyship and sometimes it hits you right in the paycheck.

I get that's your line, but please be kind to others, including staff, who need the paycheck and try to earn one by honest work, even if it's on a network show that maybe shouldn't have been produced. It's hardly the lower downs call to make as to what gets produced. My BIL hasn't worked in 3 months, my sister is (was, now working low wage for as many hours anywhere she can get) stay at home, and their about to lose their house.

Rosanne did something horrible. I'm not defending her. I don't know enough about her or the producers to know why the show went ahead. However, I very much feel sorry that her action potentially put all those carpenters, painters, set dec, wardrobe, hair and other film workers in trouble at an already difficult time.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get that's your line, but please be kind to others, including staff, who need the paycheck and try to earn one by honest work, even if it's on a network show that maybe shouldn't have been produced. It's hardly the lower downs call to make as to what gets produced. My BIL hasn't worked in 3 months, my sister is (was, now working low wage for as many hours anywhere she can get) stay at home, and their about to lose their house.

Rosanne did something horrible. I'm not defending her. I don't know enough about her or the producers to know why the show went ahead. However, I very much feel sorry that her action potentially put all those carpenters, painters, set dec, wardrobe, hair and other film workers in trouble at an already difficult time.

I feel am kind to others. I don't make racist remarks and I don't work for racists. I feel sorry for those put out of work, but I view it as no different than working with ANYONE controversial, whether it be restaurant owners or a car dealership. We all need to learn how to be decent humans to each other, for each other so the world can function.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel am kind to others. I don't make racist remarks and I don't work for racists. I feel sorry for those put out of work, but I view it as no different than working with ANYONE controversial, whether it be restaurant owners or a car dealership. We all need to learn how to be decent humans to each other, for each other so the world can function.

Chances are their Gang Boss isn't racist, which is actually who the crew actually work for. The chain isn't that the crew works for the actor, many never see or interact with the actors at all. But like any office, there are politics and people you try to avoid. Scandal can blow, and have a huge impact, on any job. Actors spouting off is just directly related to all the lower downs in this case.

I agree with Rosanne being cancelled. She's an idiot. I wish the producers had instead given the go ahead to a less controversial project so that it wouldn't have the wider impact it will certainly have.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Seems I was right about Tom Arnold. Guess who will be Anderson Cooper's guest at 8pm tonight?

:clap::bigsmile:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot-2018-5-30 Tom Arnold ( TomArnold) Twitter.png

Wow. I think he carries a grudge.

:bigsmile:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard a professor (middle eastern) on the radio today saying that in the US, at least, attributing simian features to an ethnic group has always been a way of denigrating them and it was done to the Irish as well as to African-Americans here. That fascinated me. Especially since, once a man who had never seen me but got angry with me for some on-line nonsense attempted to insult me by saying I probably looked like an orangutan. Simian. Why not an elephant or a porcupine? That professor was right that people appear to go for the simian when they seek insults!

I am not sure if I am the only person reading Pricescope who has become interested in the history of groups that were on the bottom societal rung being depicted as simian. Here is a link to an article about how the Irish were once considered to be a different race from the English (as well as being ape-like.)

Link...https://thomasnastcartoons.com/irish-catholic-cartoons/irish-stereotype/

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHO is Roseanne?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you call a black person an ape on twitter in this day and age still expect to keep your job, you are not only racist, you are incredibly STUPID. :???::???::???::???:
She is. It was un-call for! :nono:

Last edited:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHO is Roseanne?

Look up her signing the national anthem at a major sporing event....
Google (etc): roseanne national anthem

Perhaps that will help,

ps: She sure set up Witney Houston to have a smash hit national anthem a few months later (and Witney donated all profits from all her national anthem renditions to charity).

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to applaud ABC for their fast actions. I am sure that multiple high level managers had to be in on the decision, which usually takes a lot longer.

My other comment is that I read one article with all of roseanna's "explanations" on why other people or things were responsibility. It appears to me that she has no ability to take responsibility for her own actions. That's fine for a 4 year old... and in my opinion not for someone her age (although it seems all too common).

I think the world actually got a bit better today :)

Have a great day,

Perry

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buhbye.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we know for sure whether people who worked on the show are being paid out or not. It's possible they were all contract workers and will still be paid. It could go either way. Hopefully they will be taken care of, since this was not their fault. The ones I feel who would have known better were the main actors. They might get paid out too. They should have known better, but money is money I guess.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She says she is forgiving Sara and Michael for commenting on social media, in response to the hideous thing she said, on social media.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...g-her-racist-tweet/ar-AAy5bud?ocid=spartanntp

What's sad is that Roseanne apparently has no one in her life who - or no one she trusts enough - who can just convince her to sit back and shut up for a few days. You know, like reflect a bit? Think about everything, think responses through? Someone who can help her see why people reacted as they did? I realize thinking before reacting isn't the thing to do these days, but just think of all the trouble it might have prevented in this case.

For some reason I've never been a fan of hers - I can't even recall what it was that turned me off to her in the first place. But as much as I applaud ABC acting so quickly on her comment, I also rather suspect that the network execs had a plan of action ready to go, whether that plan had been discussed formally or just "among friends" or over drinks - because they had to know they were playing with fire when they resurrected her show. And in that sense I think the network is equally culpable in this fiasco, even though they're being showered with praise for reacting so quickly.

I also have to say that I'm troubled by the trend of trying to obliterate an artist's body of work when something like this happens, as if everything that artist touched is tainted, or could taint society at large. ABC apparently pulled all episodes of the original Roseann from it's website, and several other venues followed suit. When Minnesota Public Radio fired Garrison Keillor, it also removed all access to archived recordings of A Prairie Home Companion to the extent that it could. Really? Are we, the viewer/listeners incapable of separating good content from bad ourselves? In both of these instances this censorship probably hurts not only the offending artist, but also many others who were getting residuals from on-line views and re-broadcasts. I hope that in the future networks, studios, etc. will find some way - contract clauses, maybe - that will allow them to financially "punish" offending artists without blocking public access to their work and punishing others who had the bad fortune to work with them.

And one final thought. To me there is no possible reading of Roseann's tweet other than that it's out and out racism that plays into the division and nativism that's running rampant in this country. My fear though is that ABC's reaction further fans those flames. Maybe they'll follow up with a more substantive response, something that will lead to real dialogue. Maybe, these days, the major networks are just entertainment providers and that is no longer their role. Maybe the network was in a no-win situation, in which anything short of the action they took was impossible. But I'd really like to see someone use one of these situations to promote dialogue rather than more finger-pointing, self-congratulations, and entrenchment. It would be an infinitely more difficult response to navigate, but potentially it could have far greater rewards for society as a whole.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one final thought. To me there is no possible reading of Roseann's tweet other than that it's out and out racism that plays into the division and nativism that's running rampant in this country. My fear though is that ABC's reaction further fans those flames. Maybe they'll follow up with a more substantive response, something that will lead to real dialogue. Maybe, these days, the major networks are just entertainment providers and that is no longer their role. Maybe the network was in a no-win situation, in which anything short of the action they took was impossible. But I'd really like to see someone use one of these situations to promote dialogue rather than more finger-pointing, self-congratulations, and entrenchment. It would be an infinitely more difficult response to navigate, but potentially it could have far greater rewards for society as a whole.

A standard clause in most employment contracts is that anything the employee does that misrepresents the company or violates company policies is grounds for immediate dismissal (I stated that more broadly but you get the gist). If that clause appears in Barr's contract, there was no need for additional dialog. ABC's lawyers would advise against a more substantive response to a situation that has a probability of leading to a lawsuit.

As to the bolded part, I used to believe promoting dialogue was the answer to a whole lot of societal ills. That was pre-trump. At present, in regard to trump's base, I think Leonard Pitts, Jr. hit the nail on the head:
http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/leonard-pitts-jr/article210497509.html

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So why does she still have a job? Ooops, I forgot the left play by a different set rules. .:whistle: Did the left wing media have any comments about her profanity against Ivanka Trump?

l

While we are asking about hyposcrisy and different sets of rules for left and right, why not compare leftist Samantha Bee to rightist White House staffer Kelly Sadler who said that (war hero and former POW) Senator John McCain was irrelevant since he was "dying anyway"? Trump refused to apologize to the McCain family for that one. And a White House employee is a whole lot more important than a comedian!

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results