shape
carat
color
clarity

Ritani disappointment

This is a ridiculous situation. Mistakes happen, but the kind of price difference and the fact that they took so long to get back to you seems kind of “bait and switch”-y. I would get a refund from Ritani, and if you’d still like this stone and the new price on rarecarat is acceptable, buy it there.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your insight. It makes me feel better to talk through it with those that understand my disappointment. I’m still waiting to hear back from them today. It’s already 2pm on the east coast (I think?) but I can’t imagine not receiving a response today.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your insight. It makes me feel better to talk through it with those that understand my disappointment. I’m still waiting to hear back from them today. It’s already 2pm on the east coast (I think?) but I can’t imagine not receiving a response today.

I still haven't heard from them about mine. I feel sick waiting. I ordered last Saturday afternoon. What day did you order (wondering if they're going in order of the ones who ordered first)? Also, did you order a setting too?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I still haven't heard from them about mine. I feel sick waiting. I ordered last Saturday afternoon. What day did you order (wondering if they're going in order of the ones who ordered first)? Also, did you order a setting too?

Gosh I’m so sorry to have created this anxiety for you. Maybe yours will be just fine. I hadn’t ordered a setting yet. I had been discussing it with them but wanted to examine the diamond loose first. I placed my order Friday

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If you paid through PayPal or your credit card company, you could go ahead and contact them about it, if you want. Mistakes happen but it's also relisted on RareCarat without your time to decide being up AND they're making you wait all day to speak to them now, after all that.

That's three strikes. I'd think if they wanted to keep a customer, they'd be right on it and also offer you a nice discount for your trouble. I wouldn't want to get in any deeper with them at this point.

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Update: they did get back to me and offered a discount. I’m not happy with the discount. They also offered a VERY poor quality alternative (terrible unacceptable cut) for the same price. Im still very upset but I do appreciate that they are trying to resolve it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: they did get back to me and offered a discount. I’m not happy with the discount. They also offered a VERY poor quality alternative (terrible unacceptable cut) for the same price. Im still very upset but I do appreciate that they are trying to resolve it.

Did you tell them the stone was offered for 1k less elsewhere?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Update is no update. Unfortunately as much as I love the stone, jumping up in price to what they want is just not comfortable for me. Not only is it over my budget but I’m just not comfortable spending that much on a lab stone. I purchased a lab diamond a few years ago and since then the price for the equivalent new stone has decreased from what I paid by 50%. If they could offer a bit more of a discount I would maybe consider it because I LOVE the stone, but that seems to be out of the question. They offered 1 replacement that was laughable and since then zero communication. My hope at this point is that they can find me a comparable stone that is lower in color or slightly lower in size for close to the original price I paid. That being said, I’m less than optimistic. My experience thus far has been ridiculously frustrating and disappointing.

AmberLeeStone27

Rough_Rock
Even now, the prices on their site for comparative spec stones appear too good to be true :/ I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a stone I really liked there. Very glad I found this before it was too late! Yikes

Sorry that happened to you. It shouldn't have, especially with the amount of time they had to catch it during all that back and forth communication.

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
About 50%. I honestly didn’t think anything of it because lab prices seem to be all over the place. I just thought that’s a decent price for the specs. They had a bunch around the same price so I’m guessing I’m not the only phone call they had to make today.

Maybe someone hacked the website?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Even now, the prices on their site for comparative spec stones appear too good to be true :/ I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a stone I really liked there. Very glad I found this before it was too late! Yikes

Sorry that happened to you. It shouldn't have, especially with the amount of time they had to catch it during all that back and forth communication.
Maybe someone hacked the website?

They said that a partner vendor uploaded incorrect pricing on a ton of stones.

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Umm….. too bad for them but if they have the price listed publicly and officially, they should honor that. THEY were advertising that price. That’s a total bait and switch!! That’s bull crap!! How are customers supposed to have any confidence in the price if they claim it was wrong and upcharge you 50%?! So stupid. I’m sorry :(

That is how ritani works, they literally just drop ship, 95% of the stones you see on their page arent theirs, or in their storage. When you buy it, they contact the supplier and wait. I have seen multiple stones on ritani listed, while also being avaliable for sale on other site made for suppliers to connect with jewelers. If i inquire about the stone on there, and you just PAID for that stone on ritani, unless i back out, ritani will just have to say to you they made a pricing error, or they cannot sell it right now. They make up a story and offer you some other ones, which can also not be avaliable without them even knowing.

Just go check out their trustpilot, every other 5 reviews you see people having the same issues over and over.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is how ritani works, they literally just drop ship, 95% of the stones you see on their page arent theirs, or in their storage. When you buy it, they contact the supplier and wait. I have seen multiple stones on ritani listed, while also being avaliable for sale on other site made for suppliers to connect with jewelers. If i inquire about the stone on there, and you just PAID for that stone on ritani, unless i back out, ritani will just have to say to you they made a pricing error, or they cannot sell it right now. They make up a story and offer you some other ones, which can also not be avaliable without them even knowing.

Just go check out their trustpilot, every other 5 reviews you see people having the same issues over and over.

Wow, thanks for sharing this info with us. @Mjay I'm sorry you went through this and sorry for your disappointment.

If this is how Ritani works is this legal? I am not an attorney but it wreaks of unethical behavior and unprofessional business practices. Making up stories and then doing a bait and switch instead of just coming clean letting you know the stone is not available and let's try to find another stone you love. Why would that be so hard to do? Upfront and honest.

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow, thanks for sharing this info with us. @Mjay I'm sorry you went through this and sorry for your disappointment.

If this is how Ritani works is this legal? I am not an attorney but it wreaks of unethical behavior and unprofessional business practices. Making up stories and then doing a bait and switch instead of just coming clean letting you know the stone is not available and let's try to find another stone you love. Why would that be so hard to do? Upfront and honest.
Well i mean, they do that. They do tell you the stone is unavaliable and they present another options to you that are similar to the stone you missed out on. They just dont tell you "We cant sell you the stone because the stone you paid for is already bought by another jeweler".
It definitely is legal, its basically drop shipping with added value for end consumer if you get lucky. Cause if you do get lucky you just got a fairly cheap stone and you can choose to have it set and the ring inscribed, and receive it completely ready. They can work on such a low fee because all of the risk connected to dealing with lab growns falls onto the labs they buy from.

The business per say isnt flawed, its just that people dont know about all these issues before they order on ritani. If they knew there wouldnt be such dissapointment. There shouldnt be an option to pay for the stone right away unless that stone is in ritanis warehouse in a safe. It should work like marketplaces for jewelers, you find a stone you like and you inquire about it, the people on the other side check, if it was already sold or is reserved, they offer you other similar stones. No dissapointment, and no money in limbo.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@holyrock if I understand correctly I think Ritani lying to the customer saying the price was incorrect instead of being truthful the stone isn’t available as initially thought...that is what I find unethical.

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
if I understand correctly I think Ritani lying to the customer saying the price was incorrect instead of being truthful the stone isn’t available as initially thought...that is what I find unethical.

In this case it very well might have been an error on the supplier side, their api probably scans these marketplaces and just uploads what they can, so stones with pictures and certification. If someone were to put a stone there worth 30k for 3k because of a typo, it would probably appear on ritani.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I searched and searched and couldn’t find any stones that even came close to the specs and price of the stone. It’s an emerald cut so it was a needle in a haystack search trying to find the ratio, dimensions, depth %, and overall cut that I wanted. I’m sure if I had more patience that they could have found me something suitable but I had formed quite an attachment to this particular stone from the videos and decided I couldn’t let it get away. Ryan at Ritani worked with the vendor and was able to get the price down a bit more for me. We ended up below the rare carat price. Overall it was much more than I wanted to spend but I feel they did their best to remedy the situation and offer me a deal on the stone. She also confirmed that the stone is available and held for me. As long as I end up loving it when I receive it; I think I’ll feel good about the situation.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I searched and searched and couldn’t find any stones that even came close to the specs and price of the stone. It’s an emerald cut so it was a needle in a haystack search trying to find the ratio, dimensions, depth %, and overall cut that I wanted. I’m sure if I had more patience that they could have found me something suitable but I had formed quite an attachment to this particular stone from the videos and decided I couldn’t let it get away. Ryan at Ritani worked with the vendor and was able to get the price down a bit more for me. We ended up below the rare carat price. Overall it was much more than I wanted to spend but I feel they did their best to remedy the situation and offer me a deal on the stone. She also confirmed that the stone is available and held for me. As long as I end up loving it when I receive it; I think I’ll feel good about the situation.

Yay! So happy for you! I hope it’s everything you envision it to be and wear in good health and blingy emeraldlicious joy. ❤️

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock

That's so good to hear! I felt so badly for you. As far as my order goes, I haven't heard anything about it. My order hasn't updated in 10 days. I online chatted yesterday to ask the status, and the lady didn't mention any issues, just that the stone was coming to Ritani from an international place so it takes longer. I'm still on pins and needles waiting, but at least hearing that you got something worked out makes me feel better!

I also saw my stone on Rare Carat yesterday...

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
That's so good to hear! I felt so badly for you. As far as my order goes, I haven't heard anything about it. My order hasn't updated in 10 days. I online chatted yesterday to ask the status, and the lady didn't mention any issues, just that the stone was coming to Ritani from an international place so it takes longer. I'm still on pins and needles waiting, but at least hearing that you got something worked out makes me feel better!

I also saw my stone on Rare Carat yesterday...

Omg I was just thinking about you earlier today. I’m praying yours comes through. I’d imagine at this point that if there was an issue you would have already received a call. My stone is also still listed there even though I’ve paid and Ryan confirmed it is available and has already been set aside for me. I was also told by another pricescope member that her stone was still listed on rare carat for months after she had it in her hands. Hopefully that will give you some peace of mind.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
Omg I was just thinking about you earlier today. I’m praying yours comes through. I’d imagine at this point that if there was an issue you would have already received a call. My stone is also still listed there even though I’ve paid and Ryan confirmed it is available and has already been set aside for me. I was also told by another pricescope member that her stone was still listed on rare carat for months after she had it in her hands. Hopefully that will give you some peace of mind.

I'm holding out hope, but also expecting a call. My situation is slightly different. I ordered a setting too and picked the "preview" option. They put a hold on my card, which has already fallen off, so I haven't technically paid.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a ridiculous situation. Mistakes happen, but the kind of price difference and the fact that they took so long to get back to you seems kind of “bait and switch”-y. I would get a refund from Ritani, and if you’d still like this stone and the new price on rarecarat is acceptable, buy it there.

^ This.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
I had a similar experience with Ritani a few weeks ago. I saw an insanely priced emerald cut that was beautiful for under $4k (good specs and over 3 carats!!). I hopped on the chat to learn more and they informed me they were actually taking the stone offline because it was priced incorrectly. They emailed me when it was listed at the new price of $10,500ish. Felt very bait and switch.

I think it’s ridiculous that they won’t honor the price if you purchased it. It was their mess up.

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I had a similar experience with Ritani a few weeks ago. I saw an insanely priced emerald cut that was beautiful for under $4k (good specs and over 3 carats!!). I hopped on the chat to learn more and they informed me they were actually taking the stone offline because it was priced incorrectly. They emailed me when it was listed at the new price of $10,500ish. Felt very bait and switch.

I think it’s ridiculous that they won’t honor the price if you purchased it. It was their mess up.

Wow when was this? Was it the weekend of the 24th by any chance? So weird because pretty much the exact same situation except I pulled the trigger. Over 3 carats, great specs, similar pricing before and after. I thought it was a one time mess up but now I’m skeptical. I would have ran but they offered me quite a bit below the rare carat price.

jerseypeach

Rough_Rock
Wow when was this? Was it the weekend of the 24th by any chance? So weird because pretty much the exact same situation except I pulled the trigger. Over 3 carats, great specs, similar pricing before and after. I thought it was a one time mess up but now I’m skeptical. I would have ran but they offered me quite a bit below the rare carat price.

Yes, it must have been! They followed back up with me on the 27th. It was 3.55 carats. They let me know that this had happened with several diamonds.

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw about 4 stones for the price I paid. I haven't gotten a call yet, but I'll be devastated too. I chatted with someone on Monday about it and asked about the pricing being low, and she just said "it's a competitive price".

For reference, I ordered a 3.02 ct pear, G, VS1, and it was priced a little over $3800.

Holy cripes that’s a low price! I purchased a 1.78 H VVS1 (not from them) for almost 5k. :oops2:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it must have been! They followed back up with me on the 27th. It was 3.55 carats. They let me know that this had happened with several diamonds.

Ok so same lot of stones I’m sure. That makes me feel better.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain with needle-in-a-haystack emerald cut searches. Now I know it's an EC, I think you've made the right decision to go for it if you love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results