shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, hoping the lower temps work for the washer. Oliver is pretty cute taking over your laptop. Have a nice weekend and I hope you get to relax or do something fun.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy I so wish this would be over soon for you and your family (both DH and cats). I don't know how you're bearing up at all other than that you just have to. When you get through this you deserve to sleep for a month! I am hoping every day that you don't hear from the vet about the cultures until six weeks have passed. From my experience, I could not imagine that ringworm would be THIS prolonged.

Oliver sure is growing up. He's a handsome little fellow and even though he poses perfectly, I can see a mischievous glint in those eyes.

My cats have had dentals this week - Hugo earlier in the week and T is in his right now. I'm hoping T has nothing wrong - he had to get five teeth removed when I first got him because several had exposed roots and were causing him tremendous amounts of pain. No clue why they were so bad since he hasn't had anything like that any other year, so hoping it's all normal this year too, I just worry because of that history. I do try to brush his teeth but he hates it so much. Hugo had to have all 12 of his tiny little front teeth out - they grew in crooked and immediately had root decay. I felt so terrible about it but he doesn't seem to have noticed! Fortunately all his other teeth were great. I don't think cats use those tiny little front teeth for much anyway. I asked the vet if it's the breed but she thinks in her experience ragdolls don't have teeth problems more than other cats and it's just random luck that both of mine have had tooth issues.
brave lady brushing cats teeth
i know it can be done
poor Tinx had terrible teeth but the vet assured us having no or very few teeth doesn't effecf a cat's life expectancy
Tinky onky had about 2 teeth that still touched but he still managed to chomp down on cat biscuits and cat lollies

@missy are the two washing machines on the same circuit ?
maybe its not the washing machine
you could get an electrican out to test it
just you know not our electrician or you'll be waiting a month of sundays

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
brave lady brushing cats teeth
i know it can be done
poor Tinx had terrible teeth but the vet assured us having no or very few teeth doesn't effecf a cat's life expectancy
Tinky onky had about 2 teeth that still touched but he still managed to chomp down on cat biscuits and cat lollies

@missy are the two washing machines on the same circuit ?
maybe its not the washing machine
you could get an electrican out to test it
just you know not our electrician or you'll be waiting a month of sundays

No the washing machine upstairs has its own circuit (with the dryer) and the washing machine and dryer downstairs has another circuit. The only thing on each circuit are the washer and dryer. It's a mystery but my gut says the machine is wearing out from all the washing cycles on super hot (2 plus hours long each washing cycle) and somehow it is malfunctioning and thereby overloading the electrical circuit causing it to trip. But what do I know? I am not electrically inclined or mechanically inclined at all. But for now instead of running the washes on 2 plus hour super hot cycles I am using just the hot setting for an hour and 20 and hoping it keeps working. Fingers crossed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, you are both true heroes

Aww thanks. I don't view us as heroes though. They are our family and no one here would do less. I just hope we can get them over this and better. I am trying to steel myself against all possibilities. We love them so much and just want them to get well. I want Fred to make it through. Praying so hard he does and that the other kitties get well too. Tommy has another health issue that we are putting on hold til RW gate is over and truly not sure how much longer we can wait.

Thank you for your kind and warm thoughts and wishes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Jeez, the washing machine keeps tripping... PLEASE don't mess around, I know you need to wash maybe turn the heat down? there's no leaks right? I'm sure you and Greg would've seen, but honestly I didn't see the mold in the linen closet in the master bath, but I did say water that my hubster told me was condensation probably... did I look up? did he look up? nope.. anyway please dear girl be careful.. I know you know safety first.. I understand about staying at the shore I would too..(wish I did have a shore house actually but no RWgate if possible ;-) ) xoxoxo

Thank you for the tips @Tekate. I will tell Greg. I am one for caution and safety definitely but yeah in my sleep deprived state I could easily make a mistake. I slept less than 2 hours last night and I am so tired,

I don't remember but hope you got your mold issue remediated and it is A OK now. Hugs.

Mommy! no no PC today, PLAY!

He's gorgeous.. just simply the cutest ...

Haha yes exactly. And thanks. Oliver is a good looking boy but I never met a cat I didn't think was very very beautiful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When this is all behind you @missy you should write a childrens book about all of this. It probably seems odd that I would say a children's book but I think there are a lot of lessons to be learned by your experience about how to love and cherish while protecting and healing at the same time. It could be from Ollie's perspective . Maybe this flu I have is going to my head but you have such a positive outlook even while facing the day to day challenges of it all. You could probably write a manual on how to get through a situation like this.

Thank you @facetgirl. I hope you feel much better very soon. The flu is awful. Sending healing vibes your way. I like your idea and if we ever get through this in one piece perhaps I will consider writing about it. If I do it from Ollie's perspective it might be a very sassy book haha. Feel better!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I so wish this would be over soon for you and your family (both DH and cats). I don't know how you're bearing up at all other than that you just have to. When you get through this you deserve to sleep for a month! I am hoping every day that you don't hear from the vet about the cultures until six weeks have passed. From my experience, I could not imagine that ringworm would be THIS prolonged.

Oliver sure is growing up. He's a handsome little fellow and even though he poses perfectly, I can see a mischievous glint in those eyes.

My cats have had dentals this week - Hugo earlier in the week and T is in his right now. I'm hoping T has nothing wrong - he had to get five teeth removed when I first got him because several had exposed roots and were causing him tremendous amounts of pain. No clue why they were so bad since he hasn't had anything like that any other year, so hoping it's all normal this year too, I just worry because of that history. I do try to brush his teeth but he hates it so much. Hugo had to have all 12 of his tiny little front teeth out - they grew in crooked and immediately had root decay. I felt so terrible about it but he doesn't seem to have noticed! Fortunately all his other teeth were great. I don't think cats use those tiny little front teeth for much anyway. I asked the vet if it's the breed but she thinks in her experience ragdolls don't have teeth problems more than other cats and it's just random luck that both of mine have had tooth issues.

Thank you @distracts, yes Oliver is mischievous. He thinks nothing of waking me (only me) and then proceeding to bite and paw me. Always takes his paw and hits my eye. I do not care for that behavior at all. Especially when he just comes from the litter box. Eww and LOL and OMG.

Wishing you much good luck on your cats dentals this week. Sending lots of healthy gum and tooth dust their way. XOXO.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reeeeeally hoping, @missy , that come Thanksgiving, this RW pestilence & the attendant drudgery and anxiety will be over, so you and Greg can kick up your heels & enjoy some carefree FUN!

dancing Pilgrims.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sending love to humans and cats down the shore
also to the washing machines and dryers

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reeeeeally hoping, @missy , that come Thanksgiving, this RW pestilence & the attendant drudgery and anxiety will be over, so you and Greg can kick up your heels & enjoy some carefree FUN!

dancing Pilgrims.jpg

Thanks @MollyMalone!

catdancing.gif

One day soon I hope! Fingers and toes and everything crossed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sending love to humans and cats down the shore
also to the washing machines and dryers

LOL thanks Daisy. Appreciate all your kind support.

Oliver's new nickname is Vampire Cat. He likes biting and biting me in particular. I was sleeping the other night and when I woke I had a bite puncture wound on my arm. I was not pleased. I cleaned it and bandaged it and applied antibiotics and am hoping it heals without incident. We are trying very hard to break him of this biting habit. I am guessing it is a love bite but one that draws blood is unacceptable. Especially when I cannot defend myself when I am sleeping!

No changes and no updates. Praying we don't hear from the veterinarian this week.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, hoping the lower temps work for the washer. Oliver is pretty cute taking over your laptop. Have a nice weekend and I hope you get to relax or do something fun.

Thank you Marcy! You have been with me from the beginning of RW gate and for that I am grateful. I should send the cats your way. The fungus would never survive a winter in Wyoming. Nope. No way.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oliver's new nickname is Vampire Cat. He likes biting and biting me in particular. I was sleeping the other night and when I woke I had a bite puncture wound on my arm. I was not pleased. I cleaned it and bandaged it and applied antibiotics and am hoping it heals without incident. We are trying very hard to break him of this biting habit. I am guessing it is a love bite but one that draws blood is unacceptable. Especially when I cannot defend myself when I am sleeping!

No changes and no updates. Praying we don't hear from the veterinarian this week.

oh dear that's a bit naughty Ollie
the world doesn't need vampire cats
bathing the wound was a good idea,

poor Ollie needs a few gentle clips around the ear from one of his brothers to learn some manners and the rules of play

its amazing just having Tibby around they both have learnt things off the other
like fireworks
i had been so worried about Tibby but the other night i went out to hose the garden and it was dark and idiots were letting off fireworks at the park and Tibby was sitting on the lawn having a wash with his back to the fireworks and just ignoring them
Borris i think picked up on Tibby not being scared and she seemed to be just hanging out and enjoying the evening air

but you know all that and its just unavoidable that poor Ollie is in isolation

my smilies wont work today so please imangine a very sad smilie

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely crossing all our fingers that you guys DO NOT hear from your vet! Healing vibes re. your arm! Good thing you applied antibiotics right away. My doctor friends regularly remind me that cat bites require caution.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely crossing all our fingers that you guys DO NOT hear from your vet! Healing vibes re. your arm! Good thing you applied antibiotics right away. My doctor friends regularly remind me that cat bites require caution.

Thank you Kipari!
And yes re cat bites. I know all too well about those and their danger. I could share stories but for another day. Appreciate all your good vibes and wishes.

its amazing just having Tibby around they both have learnt things off the other
like fireworks
i had been so worried about Tibby but the other night i went out to hose the garden and it was dark and idiots were letting off fireworks at the park and Tibby was sitting on the lawn having a wash with his back to the fireworks and just ignoring them
Borris i think picked up on Tibby not being scared and she seemed to be just hanging out and enjoying the evening air

That is awesome Daisy! I love that the 2 of them influence each other for the better. Amazing. And yes I feel for sweet poor Ollie not being able to socialize just yet. I hate keeping him away from the others. I just don't know the right thing to do. Right now we are keeping him away for Fred's sake and also for Ollie's protection. But so concerned about hurting Oliver emotionally re his social development and emotional well being.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Kipari!
And yes re cat bites. I know all too well about those and their danger. I could share stories but for another day. Appreciate all your good vibes and wishes.

That is awesome Daisy! I love that the 2 of them influence each other for the better. Amazing. And yes I feel for sweet poor Ollie not being able to socialize just yet. I hate keeping him away from the others. I just don't know the right thing to do. Right now we are keeping him away for Fred's sake and also for Ollie's protection. But so concerned about hurting Oliver emotionally re his social development and emotional well being.

Ollie will be ok
he's a ginger
they have a fiesty zest for life

my friend's family had a ginger Meg,
she came to them when the family were all working through the day
Latter on plus the addition of a mum and son cat my friend got glandular fevor then cronic fatigue syndrome (we used to call it Tapanui flue because it was first discovered in the small west Otago town of Tapanui) anyway anyway so Deborah couldn't work for a few years and often it would be just her at home with the cats
but Meg was always very independently minded through the day only craving human company and love at night because that is what she had known as a kitten

and i must say Borris spends most of the day out in the garden, even on some cold days ??? when she could come in the open door and hang out with us
she comes and goes to snack as her tummy so desires, but she bearly acknowledes us through the day, she is frightfully busy doing cat stuff (75 % sleeping 10% washing 5% looking for new places to sleep 5% climbing trees, marking territory and doing her abolutuons and 5% is her secrete) although if we go out she usually greets us when we get home

anyway Ollie being a bit like Meg is certainly not the worst thing in the world

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today is shampoo day for Oliver, Bobby and Tommy. Fred got his spa treatment yesterday morning.

Ollie will be ok
he's a ginger
they have a fiesty zest for life

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds.

Oliver is in a frisky biting mode and we have to figure out the best way to break him of it. He is incorrigible and I know it's our fault and we have to change this behavior ASAP. Nothing is working as of yet. I feel we probably have to let him socialize with the others to get him to behave and stop biting. It continues to be a dilemma as there is no one best answer at the moment.

Oliver this AM.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.03.30 AM.png

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Missy, when my girls were young and a loud verbal "no" didn't worked, I used canned air (like the kind you use to clean electronics). My cats respond instantly to it. I do not spray them or spray it in their breathing zone. A short blast up into the air gets their attention and stops unwanted behavior.

What a handsome devil he is!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, when my girls were young and a loud verbal "no" didn't worked, I used canned air (like the kind you use to clean electronics). My cats respond instantly to it. I do not spray them or spray it in their breathing zone. A short blast up into the air gets their attention and stops unwanted behavior.

What a handsome devil he is!

Thank you! I will try this. Handsome devil is right with emphasis on the devil. :devil:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy Oliver is so adorable...I just want to snuggle him! I love the canned air idea..When Bailey was little the rescue sprayed him with water whenever he tried to nip. I never did it when I adopted him but the canned air is genius. The sound alone could do it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck with shampoo day everyone
i wounder if Fred thinks Phew i got mine yesterday ! ;)2

its not your fault about Ollie or any of the other problems
its no one's fault
it just happened
and it really sux for every one
:cry2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:
We were running errands and in Costco and the phone rang with a no caller ID identification. It was the Veterinarian. Heart in mouth!

Round one of cultures are deemed negative. Woohoo...not yet.

I am not jumping up and down for joy yet though I almost was because:

The veterinarian might be jumping the gun at calling it negative at the 3 week mark because the meds the cats are on slow down the growth of the fungus and that is why I read one should wait 4 weeks before calling it negative.
Which I told her as she didn't seem to know or realize that. Since the cats were (and still are) on Itrafungol for all this time we might need a full 4 weeks before we can call it clear.

Also:

The vet is strongly suggesting we do a second round of cultures (which I knew from all my research re RW but she hadn't mentioned it before) and
she is also insisting we continue them on the Itrafungol (this is week 15 or so almost straight)

The thing is they were on Itrafungol up to and through (and still) the first round of cultures 3 weeks ago. That will cause the fungus if present to grow more slowly. So does it make sense to continue them on this med which they have been on far too long and longer than any other case I have read about in the literature?

So for all these above reasons I am being cautious in my optimism and so is Greg but we felt like jumping up and down initially until she called us back 10 minutes later saying she still wants them on the meds til round 2 of cultures is negative. And I also feel she should have waited a week before calling it negative just because the Itrafungol slows down any fungal growth in the culture.

Whew, sorry for that long and confusing explanation. It's been a really long day. Started our morning at 3:30 AM because we had to head into the city for my endocrinologist appt which of course there are more hurdles I have do deal with though this time with the insurance company and not the endocrinologist. But I am still unable to get the med I need in a timely fashion and not sure if I will be able to get insurance to cover my new dose. However that has nothing to do with this but to say it has been a super long day and we are exhausted physically and mentally.

We are very relieved this round was negative though and despite the concerns about her calling it a week early I am pushing that down and hoping for the best. As always.

Thank you all for your support and energy and advice and companionship during all these months. I felt at times I was going crazy and you guys helped me keep it together. Those of you who posted. Those of you who read without posting but showed you were reading by liking posts. Those of you who offered advice. Those of you who offered comfort and support. And those of you who just were here for me through what was (and to some extent still is until we get round 2 of negative cultures fingers and toes crossed) a very scary surreal time.

Hugs from my furry (hopefully RW free) crew to yours. XOXO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Photo of the 3 adult cats right now. So sweet the way Tommy and Bobby are hanging out together on the same bench.

tommybobbyandfred.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update:
We were running errands and in Costco and the phone rang with a no caller ID identification. It was the Veterinarian. Heart in mouth!

Round one of cultures are deemed negative. Woohoo...not yet.

I am not jumping up and down for joy yet though I almost was because:

The veterinarian might be jumping the gun at calling it negative at the 3 week mark because the meds the cats are on slow down the growth of the fungus and that is why I read one should wait 4 weeks before calling it negative.
Which I told her as she didn't seem to know or realize that. Since the cats were (and still are) on Itrafungol for all this time we might need a full 4 weeks before we can call it clear.

Also:

The vet is strongly suggesting we do a second round of cultures (which I knew from all my research re RW but she hadn't mentioned it before) and
she is also insisting we continue them on the Itrafungol (this is week 15 or so almost straight)

The thing is they were on Itrafungol up to and through (and still) the first round of cultures 3 weeks ago. That will cause the fungus if present to grow more slowly. So does it make sense to continue them on this med which they have been on far too long and longer than any other case I have read about in the literature?

So for all these above reasons I am being cautious in my optimism and so is Greg but we felt like jumping up and down initially until she called us back 10 minutes later saying she still wants them on the meds til round 2 of cultures is negative. And I also feel she should have waited a week before calling it negative just because the Itrafungol slows down any fungal growth in the culture.

Whew, sorry for that long and confusing explanation. It's been a really long day. Started our morning at 3:30 AM because we had to head into the city for my endocrinologist appt which of course there are more hurdles I have do deal with though this time with the insurance company and not the endocrinologist. But I am still unable to get the med I need in a timely fashion and not sure if I will be able to get insurance to cover my new dose. However that has nothing to do with this but to say it has been a super long day and we are exhausted physically and mentally.

We are very relieved this round was negative though and despite the concerns about her calling it a week early I am pushing that down and hoping for the best. As always.

Thank you all for your support and energy and advice and companionship during all these months. I felt at times I was going crazy and you guys helped me keep it together. Those of you who posted. Those of you who read without posting but showed you were reading by liking posts. Those of you who offered advice. Those of you who offered comfort and support. And those of you who just were here for me through what was (and to some extent still is until we get round 2 of negative cultures fingers and toes crossed) a very scary surreal time.

Hugs from my furry (hopefully RW free) crew to yours. XOXO.

Oh @missy! I’m so hopeful! This is really good news! I understand wanting to wait another week..but it’s looking good! I have all my fingers and toes crossed! I get not wanting to give them any more Itrafungol..It makes sense...but this has been the RW case of the
year. I even mentioned it to my vet. She said RW sometimes goes away without treatment. Little Oliver..for such a little fella..sure had a potent case. One more week and you guys can be in the clear. I think I’ll cry as silly as that is. Hang in there...You guys are the best parents to your furries..

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
478B8097-8EB6-4221-A9ED-7FA1775587DF.gif 478B8097-8EB6-4221-A9ED-7FA1775587DF.gif

That is the best news and I am so happy for you all and hopeful that this is finally the end. Waiting with baited breath for the next negative!
Good luck with filling your meds too! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results