Ringworm

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@missy Is it possible to do the RW culture with a different vet? ,(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Is it possible to do the RW culture with a different vet? ,(

Thanks AV. Definitely considered it. The problem is it’s all 4 cats. Not so easy finding a vet to take all 4 at once. If we’re new patients. And like I wrote before I’m not impressed with any of the vets we have seen here. We saw 4 different vets. No more. 4 different practices but like 7 different vets. Makes me appreciate my sister and her colleagues even more. All of them excellent.

We debated driving to great neck to see my sister but don’t think Fred could tolerate the long 3 plus hour drive each way. So we’re just going to bring them in Wednesday for the culture with the local vet and hope for the best.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
There must be some difference left between grumpy & test dodging; wishing for the best as ever...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dear Missy,
That is so poor the vet's office treats all of you poorly. There is just no excuse for that. I am glad you and Greg insisted on being there for the cultures and let's hope they come back with good news.
Keeping you in my thoughts and sending mega dust and hugs your way.
Marcy

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck on the cultures everyone
gentle love to Fred

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dear Missy,
That is so poor the vet's office treats all of you poorly. There is just no excuse for that. I am glad you and Greg insisted on being there for the cultures and let's hope they come back with good news.
Keeping you in my thoughts and sending mega dust and hugs your way.
Marcy

Thank you Marcy. (((Hugs))).

good luck on the cultures everyone
gentle love to Fred

Thank you Daisy. Sending you love too and hoping Gary and his DD are doing well and hope all is good with you too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure where to ask this question but hopefully someone here might be able to share some helpful info.

Oliver is biting (while playing) and nothing we do thwarts him. It is definitely play biting and me saying Ow or hissing at him basically does nothing to deter him. I tend to bleed easily so yeah he has drawn blood.

More importantly I want to break him of this habit before it is too late. Or am I over reacting and he will outgrow it as he gets older? He is now 6 months or so. Is this normal teething?

I cannot give him chewy toys as we still might be dealing with RW and don't want to reinfect him. Maybe this is why he is teething on us? I find him also chewing on the pillow cases and comforter. I wash those daily though so not worried about him getting reinfected from those.

I have not yet googled kittens and biting because frankly I am exhausted with all we are dealing with atm but that will be my next step unless a wise PSer has some helpful info to share with me. Thanks.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More importantly I want to break him of this habit before it is too late. Or am I over reacting and he will outgrow it as he gets older? He is now 6 months or so. Is this normal teething?

He's not teething but he is entering the terrible 2 stage that will be followed by the rebellious teen stage. The only thing you can do is either remove yourself from his presence when he bites or redirect him to a toy so he can burn that energy. He's had no other cat to teach him manners and limits so he'll have to learn from you. I'm assuming he's neutered. If not, it's time to do it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's not teething but he is entering the terrible 2 stage that will be followed by the rebellious teen stage. The only thing you can do is either remove yourself from his presence when he bites or redirect him to a toy so he can burn that energy. He's had no other cat to teach him manners and limits so he'll have to learn from you. I'm assuming he's neutered. If not, it's time to do it.

Thank you. Yes he’s neutered so that’s one thing taken care of. He was neutered before we adopted him.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
before Tibby i befriended a little stray Timothy (a girl)
im not sure how much socializing she had had as she was still quite young
anyway she would claw my ankles in play but it really hurt
Tinky and Borris had never done that and neither does Tibby but i guess they must have had someone human or feline to teach them not to do it

anyway i just ignored her as soon as she started doing it- it was really hard but she stopped doing it in a few days
i felt mean because its how they play with their litter mates and they see us as big friendly clumsy cats
but i would just walk away when she did it

she and her kittens had a happy ever after story via the SPCA BTW

other end of the spectrum and we regreted teaching Tinky to chase our feet under the blankets because in the summer it hurt !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, how are the furbabies today ?
and yourself and Greig ?
how is darling Fred ?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, how are the furbabies today ?
and yourself and Greig ?
how is darling Fred ?

Hi Daisy. I am nervous and anxious. It's culture day and I do not feel good about this. I think it's too soon to culture them because if Fred is positive (and I think he is) no matter if the others test negative they could easily become positive. And the results are at least 21 days because the 3 others are on Itrafungol and that slows down the growth of the fungus in the culture medium so I was reading we have to wait a minimum of 21 days if nothing is growing. SO we won't know anything quickly anyway. Well that is not true. Fred's culture could start growing sooner because he is not on Itrafungol so we might know something if he is positive within a week or 2. Or maybe even sooner. But we won't know if they are negative for at least 3 weeks.

Sorry to be a downer and I wish I could reply I am good. But I am not so won't lie. But hoping for the best while not expecting it. Fed the cats this AM and gave them their meds. Getting ready to clean soon so we can bring them to their morning appointment for culturing. Please think good thoughts for our cats. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot off the presses AM photos of Oliver the hot tamale.

Roarrrrrrrr
oliveryawningonthetivo.jpg

Big cat stretch...ahhhhhhh....

oliverstretching.jpeg

oliverstretchingontivo.jpg

Come over here mommy and rub my tummy please...after all now that I woke you it's the least you can do while I take a nap
oliverlayingontivo.jpeg

oliveryawningontivo.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending you, Greg and your babies good thoughts for today, @missy . ox

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sending you love Missy... :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for that culture, missy!!!!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for that culture, missy!!!!!!!

Thanks kipari. If it is negative we have a 3-4 week wait before we know. If it is positive we might know within a week or 2. It's going to be a difficult wait. And now the vet wants to shave Fred's belly because of his crusting. She called about an hour after we left the office. She apologized because she didn't think of it while we were there. We were already out and couldn't return so we are bringing him in tomorrow to get his belly shaved. The vet said a tech could do it but she will do it because I feel better if she does it. I am stressed for Fred and would prefer not to do it especially because his hair there has regrown but her feeling is we can see more and treat better if we shave the belly. Just hope Fred tolerates it. He is doing very poorly and the vet even said she wants him back on his steroids ASAP for his breathing and arthritis and maybe he won't be as listless if he can get relief from the steroids. But we cannot give him steroids til the RW is gone. A catch 22.

Appreciate your good wishes.

Reactions: AV_

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@missy re biting and chewing, I'd stop it now. It's right that he has nobody to check him, so he does it. Can you get some soft toys that can throw in the wash daily? Whenever he bites, give him that as a redirect and no attention until he calms down. We have an adult male biter and he is awful. He was solo as a kitten and never got checked. He's a mean bully and very aggressive now.

You can try washable dog toys too. Like a kong. If he wants to chew and bite, he might like it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg took a few photos.

Chris (so nice) and Tommy
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.02 PM.png

Bobby

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.18 PM.png

One of the veterinarians there. She saw them after Oliver was diagnosed by the owner vet and diagnosed Fred. She is looking with the Woods lamp before she cultured them. I don't know why because they were lime dipped 12 times so I don't think anything would glow but I guess there was a chance. Really cannot tell anything without a culture unless it is obvious and a hair patch loss.
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.36 PM.png

This photo Greg sneaked in as I didn't want him to take of me. Anyway they needed me to calm sweet Bobby down as he was not happy and he was starting to thrash. Luckily he listens to his momma. Sometimes lol.
It was too bright in there so we had to put a towel over the vet and the lamp to see if anything glowed.
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.14.05 PM.png

And lastly haha. How cute is this?
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.14.23 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy re biting and chewing, I'd stop it now. It's right that he has nobody to check him, so he does it. Can you get some soft toys that can throw in the wash daily? Whenever he bites, give him that as a redirect and no attention until he calms down. We have an adult male biter and he is awful. He was solo as a kitten and never got checked. He's a mean bully and very aggressive now.

You can try washable dog toys too. Like a kong. If he wants to chew and bite, he might like it.

Thanks Eliza. The vet wants to keep him away from the others still. Mainly for Fred's well being. So no socialization for him yet. Sucks for Oliver and us too. I have not slept more than an hour or so uninterrupted since this ordeal and he just won't stop play biting. So now if he does it at night while we are in bed I am going to have to put him in his playpen. But he is too big for that now. I am doing my best to redirect him and think I will get out the soft toys despite the RW risk. I will google soft washable dog toys too.Thanks.

ETA The vet wants them (with the exception of Fred) still on the Itrafungol. We are in week 13. Oy. And we will bathe Fred twice a week with Malaseb and the others once a week. We are holding off on more L-S dips till we get culture results. Praying Fred doesn't need more L-S dips. It exacerbates his asthma. :(

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks kipari. If it is negative we have a 3-4 week wait before we know. If it is positive we might know within a week or 2. It's going to be a difficult wait. And now the vet wants to shave Fred's belly because of his crusting. She called about an hour after we left the office. She apologized because she didn't think of it while we were there. We were already out and couldn't return so we are bringing him in tomorrow to get his belly shaved. The vet said a tech could do it but she will do it because I feel better if she does it. I am stressed for Fred and would prefer not to do it especially because his hair there has regrown but her feeling is we can see more and treat better if we shave the belly. Just hope Fred tolerates it. He is doing very poorly and the vet even said she wants him back on his steroids ASAP for his breathing and arthritis and maybe he won't be as listless if he can get relief from the steroids. But we cannot give him steroids til the RW is gone. A catch 22.

Appreciate your good wishes.
Poor Fred!!!!! Dust dust dust for Freddie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg took a few photos.

Chris (so nice) and Tommy
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.02 PM.png

Bobby

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.18 PM.png

One of the veterinarians there. She saw them after Oliver was diagnosed by the owner vet and diagnosed Fred. She is looking with the Woods lamp before she cultured them. I don't know why because they were lime dipped 12 times so I don't think anything would glow but I guess there was a chance. Really cannot tell anything without a culture unless it is obvious and a hair patch loss.
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.13.36 PM.png

This photo Greg sneaked in as I didn't want him to take of me. Anyway they needed me to calm sweet Bobby down as he was not happy and he was starting to thrash. Luckily he listens to his momma. Sometimes lol.
It was too bright in there so we had to put a towel over the vet and the lamp to see if anything glowed.
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.14.05 PM.png

And lastly haha. How cute is this?
Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 4.14.23 PM.png

The unstoppable lady with fabu tights and OTK SW boots. You get it and are gorgeous. You made my day! Carry on and (may all your family) live long! :)

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
love to all
Chris just looks like he has a nice persona doesn't he
poor old Fred is going to have a cold belly
just please make this terrible RW go away and never come back

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy, your such a lovelly person
i trully beleave in face to face life you would be just as warm and genuine and generous, i feel very fortunate to know you even just via the internet

no kitty deserves ring worm but missy this is just all so unfair on your little family

things just have to start getting better soon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @canuk-gal and @facetgirl and @Daisys and Diamonds and @kipari !!! I appreciate your kind words and strong support.

Kitties purr hello this AM. All clean and sparkly from their morning baths.

Put them in front of a warm fire and it's like 90 degrees F in here. Gotta keep the cats comfy. LOL
fredafterbath.jpeg.png

fredafterbath.png

Poor Fred. Lots of black crusts still but Greg managed to get much of it off though it will come back. It always has so far.

Tommy was not happy as it had been a while since we bathed him so it was sort of a shock for him but he is a good boy.
tommyafterbath.png

Sweet Bobby looking a bit worse for wear.
bobbyafterbath.png

and finally Oliver. Patient Zero. Little terror. Sweet boy. Growing so fast.

oliverwithworm.png

I gave him the worms back. He loves the worms.

He decided the news sucks so changed the channel. Haha. If only life was that easy. Change the channel when you don't like what's on.

oliverwithwormandremote.png

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @canuk-gal and @facetgirl and @Daisys and Diamonds and @kipari !!! I appreciate your kind words and strong support.

Kitties purr hello this AM. All clean and sparkly from their morning baths.

Put them in front of a warm fire and it's like 90 degrees F in here. Gotta keep the cats comfy. LOL
fredafterbath.jpeg.png

fredafterbath.png

Poor Fred. Lots of black crusts still but Greg managed to get much of it off though it will come back. It always has so far.

Tommy was not happy as it had been a while since we bathed him so it was sort of a shock for him but he is a good boy.
tommyafterbath.png

Sweet Bobby looking a bit worse for wear.
bobbyafterbath.png

and finally Oliver. Patient Zero. Little terror. Sweet boy. Growing so fast.

oliverwithworm.png

I gave him the worms back. He loves the worms.

He decided the news sucks so changed the channel. Haha. If only life was that easy. Change the channel when you don't like what's on.

oliverwithwormandremote.png
@missy You and Greg are such good parents to your furries. I’m packing for the trek to Maryland..but had to say I crack up every time you refer to Oliver as Patient Zero...every single time! :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy your cats are beautiful.... there has to be a special place for you and Greg in this life for people who take their responsibility carefully and fully, you are my favorite Mom ever. xoxox

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results