shape
carat
color
clarity

Ringworm

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To show you how listless Fred is...this was him all day yesterday.
His eyes are open almost all the time.

Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 2.47.00 PM.png

:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Oh Missy, this is absolutely heartbreaking! Poor Fred! ;( I echo all of the PP’s thoughts about how this seemingly innocuous fungus can wreak such havoc on a family! It’s incredibly unfair. Especially for people as competent, able and caring as you and Greg. If you all can’t get through it unscathed, how has anyone else? :doh:
Continuing to send hugs and good wishes for some improvement. Any at all would be welcome. ((Hugs)) ♥️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex is out of surgery!! :appl:

The scans showed no masses anywhere else - no metastasis - so they took the leg, and apparently it was a textbook surgery with no complications. So, so grateful!! I know everyone in this thread knows exactly how that feels - thank you for sharing my fear and, I hope, my relief today!

He'll stay at the surgical center for post-op care tomorrow and possibly day after. I don't yet know what prognosis is - whether it's likely to recur, whether any additional treatment is recommended. We'll find out more tomorrow when we go to see him.

Now if the powers that be would just please grant Missy and Greg a similar blessing.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie that’s great news! Wishing Alex a speedy recovery with lots of treats and cuddles.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie that is wonderful! So glad to hear the good news!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex is out of surgery!! :appl:

The scans showed no masses anywhere else - no metastasis - so they took the leg, and apparently it was a textbook surgery with no complications. So, so grateful!! I know everyone in this thread knows exactly how that feels - thank you for sharing my fear and, I hope, my relief today!

He'll stay at the surgical center for post-op care tomorrow and possibly day after. I don't yet know what prognosis is - whether it's likely to recur, whether any additional treatment is recommended. We'll find out more tomorrow when we go to see him.

Now if the powers that be would just please grant Missy and Greg a similar blessing.

Woohoo!!!! Your happy news is making my day and what a sweet way to start the morning @yssie!!! Big big hugs to you and Alex and so thrilled the surgery was straightforward and successful and that the cancer is gone!!! :appl:

woohooyessss.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kipari for taking time out of your vacation to add support and comfort. XO.

@cmd2014 thank you for all your helpful suggestions. This house is very open with hardly any defined rooms per se and there is no sound proofing either so it's as clear as a bell when Greg is in the one defined room downstairs (office) and he is on a conference call. I say this because I don't think putting them in that room will be helpful as they just run when we vacuum and get out of the way. Bobby goes to the top of the stairs right before the attic door. Fred just continues to lay on the couch :( and Tommy moves all around. It is a good idea if only our house had more rooms and better sound proofing.

Today is the first day we decided not to do a deep cleaning. Greg has to head into the city for an important doctor's appointment that he cannot reschedule again nor miss so it is just me and I will vacuum the entire house but not mop and disinfect nor move heavy furniture to get underneath. Hoping this one day off doesn't bring us more trouble. The veterinarian said they are probably still contagious though less so than initially. I would hope so lol but who knows. Hugs.

@canuk-gal the Fredster did eat this AM but wouldn't move off the couch so His Royal Highness got fed on the couch. I don't mind if he gets used to this royal treatment. I would happily do it for the rest of our time together. Hugs.

@Daisys and Diamonds thank you so much for your continued well wishes and comforting support. XO.

The cats all got through their lime dip OK yesterday but as usual no one ate any food at the vet's office but Oliver despite being there for 9 hours. Oliver is always hungry lol. This AM no one came to eat again (with the exception of Oliver who gets fed in our bedroom in his playpen) so I coaxed everyone and finally got them to eat a bit. We then gave Itrafungol to everyone but Fred. Today we are getting the blood and urine results for Fred. Fingers crossed the results are OK and Fred will recover from this and that he doesn't have anything else going on that could hurt him.

Again @yssie I am so thrilled for all of you and this happy news made my morning. What a lovely and wonderful way to start the day and thank you for sharing it here with us.:appl: (((Hugs))).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
im glad you had a day off the deep cleaning missy, you all needed it
hoping tomorrow brings a better day

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ohh @missy that’s a heartbreaking picture of Fred....
Sending you hugs from Canada.
Hoping all looks good with the blood tests. :pray:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
im glad you had a day off the deep cleaning missy, you all needed it
hoping tomorrow brings a better day

Thank you Daisy. I appreciate your good wishes.
Ohh @missy that’s a heartbreaking picture of Fred....
Sending you hugs from Canada.
Hoping all looks good with the blood tests. :pray:

Thanks @Weecam. I appreciate the hugs and good wishes.

Blood results are in and Fred potentially either has:
1.chronic pancreatitis
2.IBD
3.Lymphoma.

He needs an Ultrasound and biopsy if necessary but I spoke with my sister and we are putting that off for now. And none of that is related to his extreme listlessness.
The more tests we do the more stuff we find.

Continuing one day at a time.

Reactions: AV_

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy for tea (that's dinner) tonight crank up the webber
have a bbq
the smell with drive the cats crazy for food
our dear departed Tinky (who was my soul mate) started out as our ultra shy neighbour but if we did a bbq he would be right over.
his dad used to get so embarssed and asure us he did feed him plenty (and he was a very good cat dad) but Tinx could not resist the smell of grilled meat

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
poor old Fred
just keep loving him like you do missy

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Daisy. I appreciate your good wishes.

Thanks @Weecam. I appreciate the hugs and good wishes.

Blood results are in and Fred potentially either has:
1.chronic pancreatitis
2.IBD
3.Lymphoma.

He needs an Ultrasound and biopsy if necessary but I spoke with my sister and we are putting that off for now. And none of that is related to his extreme listlessness.
The more tests we do the more stuff we find.

Continuing one day at a time.

Oh missy ;(
I’m so sorry. I’m crying reading that. I’m so sorry. I wish I had something better to say.
Poor little Fred :(sad
Please let me know if there is anything I can do. I would be happy to help in any way that I can.
One day at a time. One step at a time. That’s all you can ever do.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex is home. Doing okay. Listless, mostly unresponsive. Nervous purring. Ate a little. Super snuggly, which we now know is a sign that something is very wrong. Avoiding soft blankets - I guess anything but hard floor rubs some part of the wound.

I hope we did the right thing, putting him through this. My stomach hurts looking at what we’ve done to him. We’ll see an oncologist in a couple of weeks - apparently there’s still some (small!) possibility of metastasis despite the clean X-rays.

Buprenex, Gabapentin, Onsior, and he got an antibiotic. His regimen is shorter than I expected - only five days. I can’t imagine how that’s enough, but we’ll see how he’s doing. The clinic has been very good.

The pattern of white on his tummy is different now, after they stitched him back up. I almost panicked thinking I might not have any photos of his original coat - but D says he has plenty.

One day at a time.

1D7872F7-8510-4D75-9B9E-29F5214FAD42.jpeg

Attachments

• D803DA51-EC8A-4D82-82A2-5D9641766156.jpeg
    D803DA51-EC8A-4D82-82A2-5D9641766156.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie Aww your poor Alex...My heart hurts seeing him. Sending lots of healthy vibes his way and strength to you.
Thinking of you @missy :kiss2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I'm so relieved and simultaneously so sorry. I don't know if you just chose a good picture, but he looks a lot less bad than I expected. A lot to put a little cat through, but I'm sure he'll pull through just fine even if it takes a bit to heal and adjust to having only three legs. If your only other option was to wait for the cancer to spread and then euthanize him when he begins to suffer too much, then surely you have done the right thing now - plenty of cats have legs removed and are ok. In the meantime just give him plenty of love and reassurance.

@missy ughh I am so sorry to hear that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex is home. Doing okay. Listless, mostly unresponsive. Nervous purring. Ate a little. Super snuggly, which we now know is a sign that something is very wrong. Avoiding soft blankets - I guess anything but hard floor rubs some part of the wound.

I hope we did the right thing, putting him through this. My stomach hurts looking at what we’ve done to him. We’ll see an oncologist in a couple of weeks - apparently there’s still some (small!) possibility of metastasis despite the clean X-rays.

Buprenex, Gabapentin, Onsior, and he got an antibiotic. His regimen is shorter than I expected - only five days. I can’t imagine how that’s enough, but we’ll see how he’s doing. The clinic has been very good.

The pattern of white on his tummy is different now, after they stitched him back up. I almost panicked thinking I might not have any photos of his original coat - but D says he has plenty.

One day at a time.

@yssie you did the completely right thing. No question. His cancer was confined to the amputated leg. Praying there is no metastasis.

Alex will go on to lead a happy, healthy, cancer free life. He won't miss his leg. Cats are not like people. They don't feel sorry for themselves and they live in the present and he will heal and be content and purrfect again. Know that you did the best thing for him. You are giving him his life back and it will be a quality life. (((Hugs))) to you and to Alex.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds, @yssie, @distracts and @Slick1. We are taking it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. I fed the 3 adults this AM with much coaxing and Greg fed Oliver. Then we gave Tommy, Bobby and Oliver the Itrafungol and topicals. Now we have a little time to enjoy coffee (and my meds lol) with some food. Then the cleaning begins. Our deep cleaning day off yesterday still had us vacuuming the entire house but we didn't disinfect and mop so it felt like a mini vacation lol. But that ends today. Back to deep cleaning everything. Thanks for your well wishes. Have a good morning all.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

One day at a time.

if i could i'd slip him a piece of bacon
gentle hugs to you Alex

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds, @yssie, @distracts and @Slick1. We are taking it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. I fed the 3 adults this AM with much coaxing and Greg fed Oliver. Then we gave Tommy, Bobby and Oliver the Itrafungol and topicals. Now we have a little time to enjoy coffee (and my meds lol) with some food. Then the cleaning begins. Our deep cleaning day off yesterday still had us vacuuming the entire house but we didn't disinfect and mop so it felt like a mini vacation lol. But that ends today. Back to deep cleaning everything. Thanks for your well wishes. Have a good morning all.
oh missy
i run out of things to say but i think if you all and hope and pray for this to get better soon

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh missy
i run out of things to say but i think if you all and hope and pray for this to get better soon

Aww Daisy thank you. Thank you to everyone who is reading and commenting still. It makes me feel less alone if that makes sense. I mean I have Greg and he is amazing and without him there is no way we would all get through this. But having you lovely people on our side rooting for us does make it a bit easier to bear. Thank you so much dear. (((Hugs))).

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think everyone would agree with ne
we wish we could do something more practicle to help

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adding photos from 2008 and 2009. I have none before that sadly because I didn't have a phone that could take photos nor did I own a camera.

Fred in 2008

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.47.58 AM.png

and with Billy (may he RIP our sweet incredibly amazing Billy)

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.54.46 AM.png

Bobby and Francesca in 2009

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.47.13 AM.png

And Tommy in 2009/10

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.45.48 AM.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy I am crossing my fingers so hard that all your boys get well. I love these old pictures of Fred - it hurts to see how he is now. I am hoping everyone will miraculously start improving today.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sending positive vibes your way, @missy ! I hope the kitties kick some fungus butt soon.

@yssie you absolutely made the right choice. Alex has a fighting chance now! I hope he has a smooth recovery and that the oncologist clears him.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding photos from 2008 and 2009. I have none before that sadly because I didn't have a phone that could take photos nor did I own a camera.

Fred in 2008

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.47.58 AM.png

and with Billy (may he RIP our sweet incredibly amazing Billy)

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.54.46 AM.png

Bobby and Francesca in 2009

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.47.13 AM.png

And Tommy in 2009/10

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.45.48 AM.png
they are all really lovelly pictures
i hope today is going ok

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @distracts @JPie and @Daisys and Diamonds. Nothing has changed yet. Cats still losing hair and still taking things one hour at a time.

Recent pics of the kitties.

Tommy waiting for us the other day. He runs to the window when I remotely disarm the system because he is smart and knows that means we are coming home.

tommyinwindow.png

Here are a few photo from yesterday afternoon. A rare quiet relaxing moment the cats were enjoying.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.24.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.26.25 AM.png

And of course we cannot forget little Patient Zero. The sweet baby who wreaked all this havoc upon our Tommy, Bobby and Fred. And you thought you had sibling issues. LOL and Oy.

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 4.39.27 AM.png

We are starting day 36 of Itrafungol for Oliver and a bit less than that for Tommy and Bobby. I didn't start the daily Itrafungol for Tommy and Bobby until about 10 days in (as I was doing one week on and one week off until I realized we were better off doing daily Itrafungol) IIRC but in any case all but Fred have been getting Itrafungol on a daily basis for some time now. Elaine probably cannot make it here in the next week or so (and hasn't been here since last week) so we have to figure out if we can manage Tommy and Bobby by ourselves re bathing. I still want to do lime sulfur dipping twice a week but the vet's office will only do it weekly and doing the lime sulfur dip at home is way more difficult than just bathing them so most likely we will just bathe them once a week and continue doing the lime sulfur dip once a week. The vet's office doesn't want us bathing them til the day before their lime dip appt so we are limited to the day we can do it.

Cat update:

Fred's ears seem to have improved as has Bobby's neck. Fred has extensive hair loss on his tummy and paws and flaking all around his mouth. Bobby's back is still looking awful and flaking but Greg feels that is part of the cycle. Tommy is still losing hair but Greg feels that he is not getting worse. I am unsure of that. Oliver takes the award for most improved but he still has residual dark flaky skin and hair loss on his face and paws.

Continuing the daily schedule and taking it one hour at a time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is good Greg thinks things are on the improve
you need to take a deep breath and pat each other on the backs
the cats still love you too

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy, it's encouraging that Greg feels there's been a little improvement and I'm hoping it continues -sending lots of healing vibes to the kitties. XOX

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results