shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring with interchangeable stones

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to do this before but got sidetracked. It's still on my mind though. I've put it in the fashion jewelry section because it will most likely be done with lab stones. I'm thinking I want to just keep it simple, just prongs around the different stones, to be attached to a diamond band.

I have this stone on the way so far, a 10.4 mm lab ruby:

lab ruby3.jpg

And I want a band something like this but with an attachment mechanism at the top center of it:

diamond band.jpg

I am not sure what the attachment mechanism would look like, though. It would be fun to have a few different lab stones that I could pop on and off. Workable?

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
So it is still one single ring with diamond melees on the shank right? But with a head holding the centre stone with prongs, being able to be separated from the shank and be replaced with another head mounting another stone?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The problem I ran into last time was that for the idea I had, I'd have had to get an individual diamond halo setting for each center stone, which made it not really worth the cost over just getting one whole ring at a time. All I'd be saving on was a plain band, in other words.

But if I forego the halos have the diamonds set in the one band instead, the project makes more sense financially. I just have to get center stones that are large enough that I'll be happy with them without halos, on my man hands. Which is very do-able with lab stones. :)

Maybe I should run it by a jewelry maker, just in case, before I collect any more stones for it, because I still can't quite picture the attachment mechanism. I would like to be able to use center stones that vary a bit in size and shape. Ideas?

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So it is still one single ring with diamond melees on the shank right? But with a head holding the centre stone with prongs, being able to be separated from the shank and be replaced with another head mounting another stone?

Yes, exactly like that. Each center stone would be permanently prong set in its own head, which would have some kind of attachment mechanism at the bottom of it. And one shared diamond band for all.

I also have to see if it makes sense financially, since I'd be giving up getting the variation of different types of settings for it. I keep thinking there must be a reason you don't see this too often, after all.

Last edited:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Haha! My husband has been going on for ages about the idea of a ring with interchangeable stones, so funnily enough I have given it some thought!

I think one way you could do it is with a screw-in peg head. It probably isn't done because even screws could become loose and fall out, but there is an idea.
I will be following your project with interest over here =)2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think one way you could do it is with a screw-in peg head. It probably isn't done because even screws could become loose and fall out, but there is an idea.
I will be following your project with interest over here =)2
Your close but it needs a pin or latch system to lock it together.
Another way I have seen it done is a wedge and latch system.
The third is a screw and pin system where the part of the ring under the head is 2 parts that go together with a screw and has pins for alignment.
The cost to have it custom made is not going to be cheap probably putting it out of the range of a fun ring.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, maybe I should get a quote before I collect more center stones for it.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I don't know if they are still around but Ron Hartgrove had a line called Orbis. It was an interesting idea. That was back from my days at Neiman Marcus.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Also for your centre stone collection? Where did you get this spinel from?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Here's my latest lab stone. It's very sparkly in real life. :)

blue lab spinel1.jpg

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm having second thoughts again after letting this idea sit for a while. Even with lab stones, this would be pretty expensive and also restrictive as to style. And it is not at the very top of my wish list. I might just list these two stones on Loupetroop instead since I'm already deep in jewelry jail right now as it is. If I could buy one ring right now it would be a lab emerald anyway, so...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm having second thoughts again after letting this idea sit for a while. Even with lab stones, this would be pretty expensive and also restrictive as to style. And it is not at the very top of my wish list. I might just list these two stones on Loupetroop instead since I'm already deep in jewelry jail right now as it is. If I could buy one ring right now it would be a lab emerald anyway, so...

oh :(2

well sometimes its just fun to dream
i have a ton of sfuff in my head

best wishes for your next project

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your input, all. I've decided to go in a different jewelry direction so the two lab stones I posted above are now for sale to USA buyers on Loupetroop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results