shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Re-set

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
But isn''t THIS stone an upgrade already? I am a bit confused...are you trying to scratch an itch with this stone which might be better left alone til you find the stone you really want? I know what it is like to be impatient, but you would be surprised...when I told Tiffany''s what size I wanted for my upgrade, they did warn it could take a while because stones of that size and quality are not easily obtained, but within two or so months the stone was found and the completed ring was on my finger...so maybe you should just give it a bit more time and see what is out there...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the re-set. I love a pave band with a big stone and I think Leon would do a fabulous job.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 9:39:03 PM
Author: Harriet
Yes (blush). I think I got confused with x Sisters (I''m not even going to try this time) in the Blue Mountains.

9.gif
I *think* it is the 4 sisters but I might be wrong, because there''s actually a 4 sisters vineyard in the grampians in victoria and I might be confused too!

Anyway, hope you have fun making your decisions - what a wonderful dilemma to have
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't it be fun to pair the e-ring with skinny eternities in different colours? I saw a charming rose gold one at Tiffany.

DF,
The voice of reason.
1.gif

Mrssalvo,
Is that your dog in your avatar? My 2 shih tzus don't show up clearly in mine.

Jadeleaves,
Have some Tim Tams on my behalf.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 9:54:30 PM

Mrssalvo,

Is that your dog in your avatar? My 2 shih tzus don''t show up clearly in mine.

yes, that''s my lab Zoe..my first baby
1.gif

you might try emailing admin to see if they can help you with your avatar, i''d love to see you puppies...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, my hubby would never say I am the voice of reason when it comes to spending and jewels...just thinking it might make sense to focus a bit on it...of course, it is only money, you can spend it on a reset and then get a new stone and trash the setting and start over...certainly doable by all means...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrssalvo,
Will do. Zoe looks so well-behaved in that picture. Are you one of those big dog people who will make fun of my little ones?
1.gif

DF,
Only money?! I really need to work for your hubby.

Jadeleaves,
I just did a Google search. It's the 3 sisters.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 9:32:36 PM
Author: 3hearts
I think your current setting is classic. If this is not your forever stone, I would not waste the money having it reset.

I think a diamond eternity band would only compliment your ring
30.gif
I agree completely. In fact, I would get a thin diamond band as well as a plain band and wear them as the mood strikes. Demelza has an older thread where she tried on various thin diamond bands with her large round solitaire. I think she decided the plain band was the best match, but I can''t remember for sure. I''d check it out for some pics!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would wait, get the diamond and then set it. Sometimes resetting stones don''t come out as well. But just to let you know, I do love the ring you have now.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 9:25:54 PM

Date: 3/7/2007 9:17:44 PM
Author: JadeLeaves
Coming back to ask why u think a diamond wedding band will look weird with your current setting? The solitaire paired with diamond band look is such a classic one!
This may be irrational, but asymmetry really bothers me. Also, the diamond bands I like are the skinny ones, and they look weird paired with my current setting.
I only read the thread up to this point, but if you are irrational, so am I, because I too would want a pave shank on e-ring if I had it next to a pave wedding band. So I don''t blame you for going this route at all, even though your solitaire is so classy looking as is. I like wedding band and e-ring to match as much as possible.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, in the final analysis, that IS all it is, no? Since you are looking into spending on a reset while you are still sourcing other stones, you would seem to be aware that this reset will cost you some amount of money, and you would likely only be resetting this stone as a stop gap til you found another stone. Since it is not guaranteed you could re use this new setting, you are making the choice to spend money now that while not likely be recouped later...therefore, you can look and say, hey, it makes me happy NOW, whatever other stone I get, and I am willing to spend it, or NO, I will wait til I get the stone that will please me and THEN look into finding a great setting for it...just pointing out the bottom line of the project. Because, certainly, you could leave your current ring, which is lovely, as is, and put whatever you would spend resetting it into your next stone.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Harriet...You naughty girl...Did you ever get those fab HW earrings (and the matching necklace
30.gif
)? You need to start a thread titled ''Harriet''s Projects''!!! I love your ring as is (it would be even better IMO with a 5 tcw. eternity band
31.gif
), but, it is your ring...If you want matchy-matchy, get a reset. And, yes, yes...Get that av fixed. I''ve been wondering what that curled up blur was.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 10:02:47 PM
Mrssalvo,

Will do. Zoe looks so well-behaved in that picture. Are you one of those big dog people who will make fun of my little ones?
1.gif

nope, I love all doggie''s big and small
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 10:14:53 PM
Author: gailrmv

I think your current setting is classic. If this is not your forever stone, I would not waste the money having it reset.

30.gif
I agree completely. In fact, I would get a thin diamond band as well as a plain band and wear them as the mood strikes. Demelza has an older thread where she tried on various thin diamond bands with her large round solitaire. I think she decided the plain band was the best match, but I can''t remember for sure. I''d check it out for some pics!
Good idea. Please check.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 10:23:29 PM
Author: Miranda
Harriet...You naughty girl...Did you ever get those fab HW earrings (and the matching necklace
30.gif
)? You need to start a thread titled ''Harriet''s Projects''!!! I love your ring as is (it would be even better IMO with a 5 tcw. eternity band
31.gif
), but, it is your ring...If you want matchy-matchy, get a reset. And, yes, yes...Get that av fixed. I''ve been wondering what that curled up blur was.
I get the earrings next month for my birthday. Yippee! Um, the necklace was your idea (and Diamondfan''s territory).
1.gif

DF,
Contrary to what your hubby says, you are the voice of reason. Here at least.

Everyone else,
Thanks for your compliments on my current ring.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I know that would shock him beyond all reason! He never considers me to be practical where money is concerned, but I never promised that!

I certainly think you should do what you want, but it should be for the right reasons, that is all. I am the least patient person in the world, but sometimes I have to talk myself of the ledge and really get perspective on my motives.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Harrriet, I think a Leon Mege setting for a diamond you will most likely upgrade is a waste. I would wait until I felt the diamond was good enough for at least 10 years. It''s hard to justify an artist''s efforts and the money required on something that may last 1-2 years tops. Perhaps your value system is diffferent though and 1-2 years is enough of an amortization period.

About pave - do you ever wear silk-lined gloves? If so, pave will trash them - not to mention stockings, delicate scarves, etc. I think the LM tsavorite is a better idea.

Just my honest opinion - I don''t mean any offense.
1.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 10:31:03 PM

30.gif
Good idea. Please check.
Hariett, I was suggesting that you might want to check her thread to see the pics. If you type in Demelza into the search bar, then look at her previous threads, you should be able to find it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:07:09 PM

30.gif
Good idea. Please check.
Hariett, I was suggesting that you might want to check her thread to see the pics. If you type in Demelza into the search bar, then look at her previous threads, you should be able to find it.
Starryeyed,
You are being the voice of reason too?!

Gailrmv,
Sorry I misunderstood you. Please don''t think I''m a lazy one.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:17:07 PM

Date: 3/7/2007 11:07:09 PM

30.gif
Good idea. Please check.
Starryeyed,

Gailrmv,
Sorry I misunderstood you. Please don''t think I''m a lazy one.
Oh, no worries!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:17:07 PM
Starryeyed,
Harriet, I can understand your position. There are tons of gorgeous things that you want, but you also have budget constraints. In this case, it''s better to slow down and buy exactly what you want, when you can afford it. You have a lifetime to acquire beautiful jewelry - no need to feel like it''s a race against time (like everything else in NYC).

I''ve played the game where I''ve wanted diamonds on a watch, or larger diamond sidestones on a ring. I''ve learned that it''s better to take the long-term approach, save up, and get exactly what you want. Otherwise, the gratification of the purchase wears off and you wind up wishing you had something bigger, better, etc.

Think about this - would you rather have ten $200 gold bracelets on your wrist, or one killer $2K gold bracelet? Personally, I''d rather delay the satisfaction until I could afford the killer piece I really wanted.

The other thing is that sometimes your tastes change while you''re saving up. Better to find out that something was a passing fad for you before the purchase!
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starryeyed,
Don''t worry -- I don''t have a truncated attention span, just several landmark occasions coming up (some of which involve gifts).
36.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:42:39 PM
Starryeyed,
Don't worry -- I don't have a truncated attention span, just several landmark occasions coming up (some of which involve gifts).
36.gif
I'm not worried - I just want you to get what you want and figure out a way to have the budget to do it all.

You had cited budget constraints as a concern. But heck, if you can afford the FM watch with diamonds, the LM e-ring setting, the LM tsavorite ring, the diamond studs, the Camelia pendant, the wedding ring, plus the Trinity ring and the HW earrings that are coming, stock up!
1.gif
Especially if you have enough landmark occasions coming for all of them! Sounds great. Did I leave anything out?
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, I think that about covers it
3.gif
2.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of the new setting with the pave. I think it would look gorgeous with your diamond and really make it pop. I agree with you-I also think a pave wedding band will look better with a pave shank e-ring.

However, I think you should wait until you are positive you have your forever diamond before you get a Leon Mege. Although I am definitely an instant gratification girl, I would hold out for my perfect diamond before I got a Leon.

But either way I can''t wait to see the end result!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2007 11:52:01 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 3/7/2007 11:42:39 PM
Starryeyed,
Don't worry -- I don't have a truncated attention span, just several landmark occasions coming up (some of which involve gifts).
36.gif
I'm not worried - I just want you to get what you want and figure out a way to have the budget to do it all.

You had cited budget constraints as a concern. But heck, if you can afford the FM watch with diamonds, the LM e-ring setting, the LM tsavorite ring, the diamond studs, the Camelia pendant, the wedding ring, plus the Trinity ring and the HW earrings that are coming, stock up!
1.gif
Especially if you have enough landmark occasions coming for all of them! Sounds great. Did I leave anything out?
2.gif
I should clarify -- I'm going with the FM watch sans diamonds for practical reasons; the LM e-ring will happen only if LM doesn't find my perfect tsavorite; the studs won't happen for a while, nor will the Camellia; the wedding is not till next year; I already have the Trinity. You left out the HW micro-pave cushion cut, which won't happen for a long long time. You also left out a split-shank emerald-cut.
2.gif
See, there's method to my madness.
26.gif

In all seriousness, thanks to you, Diamondfan and Kaleigh for looking out for me.

niku414

Rough_Rock
Your original ring is BEAUTIFUL :) it''s so classic and elegant --- however I would vote for the reset cuz I''m bias --it''s similar to mine :) When I was choosing my e-ring, I almost chose the setting similar to your original one -- but after trying them on-- my heart is on the one with the pave diamonds on the band :)

Good Luck :)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I see a picture of yours?

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
We see so many pics of pretties and sparklies here, it''s really hard to maintain a realistic perspective.

I like your ring as is, Harriet. And I don''t think I would have said that a week or so ago.

But then I went to the Post Office.

The other day, at the Post Office I saw this lady with the most beautiful diamond ring/set. It was a larger diamond, especially for here, is why I saw it to begin with. Probably a 2 carat.

Then I noticed the sparks and fire. Must be decently well cut. To spark and fire in drab Post Office lighting.

And then I noted the setting. Platinum/white metal head on plain yellow gold shank. Plain YG WB. Simple. Classic. Elegant.

But boy, oh boy, did that diamond POP!!
30.gif

niku414

Rough_Rock
My e-ring is currently "in the making " :) should be done in another 1-2 weeks :) My center stone is 1.70ct and the side stones are 0.23ct total on a 1.8mm band -- but it looks almost exactly like this picture -- since this was the picture I brought into the jeweler :)
I hope the picture shows up --- but I got this picture from "exceldiamonds" website :)

1270_xlarge-excels.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results