shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring in the making: Calling all cathedral solitaires!!

LilyGrace

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I've been debating whether or not to make a post on here, as I am aware that there is a separate forum for "ladies in waiting" and boyfriend and I are not actually engaged just yet. However, I reasoned a post on this forum would get more exposure, and thus I could get more feedback =)

Last week, my boyfriend of 3 years and I met with the jeweler who is making my ring, and we picked out the setting and stone. Later in the week, bf confirmed that he had gone ahead and ordered the ring, and that according to the jeweler should be ready by the end of the month/early December. [Not a very romantic story, but it's what works for us !]

This is where I need your help as I am not familiar with the procedure involved in getting jewelry made.

I love the setting I chose, which is a very simple cathedral solitaire. It looked great on my hand, and it is still the style that I want. However, looking at the pictures that I took, I am afraid that the final product will be too chunky for my hands. I have relatively small fingers (size 4.5) and the pictures are looking a little too metal-ly.

What I understood from the jeweler is that the actual setting would be "shaved down" (not sure if those were his actual terms) but that essentially the setting I was seeing was like a one-size-fits-all, and that the prongs and everything else are shaved down to "fit" the diamond.

I'm not sure if I'm freaking out for no reason, and maybe the only reason the ring looks super chunky is because of the angle of the photos, or what. I don't remember thinking it looked clunky when I chose it, and I also know it could easily be reset if its not something I'm 100% happy with, but I just hate to think that we would have to do that.

Has anybody had any similar experiences that could provide some guidance? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Ps. I'm trying to figure out a way to attach the picture so its not sideways, so please bear with me, as I am new here! It's going to be set with a 2.39 RB if that helps.

img_13524.jpg

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Post pics. Did the jeweler give you CADs?

LilyGrace

Rough_Rock
Hi LadyMCh ! I think I uploaded the picture of the actual setting we chose. I can try to re-upload if it's not showing up

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LilyGrace|1478664564|4095623 said:
Hi LadyMCh ! I think I uploaded the picture of the actual setting we chose. I can try to re-upload if it's not showing up

There's only one profile shot. I'm not sure I quite understand... Is that THE EXACT setting you're going to have? Or is that a stock on the jeweler has to give you an idea of what your custom setting will look like?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting is a traditional four prong peg head. It's got a lot more metal than other settings. I should know. I had a six prong peg head. To me, mine looked like a construction site. I hated it. I finally changed it. Either way, figure out how you feel and be honest and realistic with yourself. If you don't like it now, it's unlikely it will grow on you.

LilyGrace

Rough_Rock
That's the exact setting we ordered. The picture is the setting with a loose diamond placed on top for trying on purposes [we were looking through different sizes/colors/cuts, etc.] So the setting is not being custom made, but the jeweler explained that it has to be fitted in order to fit the exact diamond that we pick.

So basically what I understood is that the setting I had on my finger could be used for different size diamonds (i.e. from 1/2 to 4 carats), but the actual prongs/head/basket (not sure of appropriate term) are "shaved down" in order to fit the actual diamond that we picked.

TLDR: The picture is of the exact setting we picked with a loose diamond on top. Thus, even though the ring is not being custom made, the prongs have to be fitted to hold the actual diamond that we picked, which was a 2.39 round brilliant. Jeweler explained that the thickness of prongs depends on size of diamond, because smaller diamonds require less metal to secure them, and larger ones require more.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What size is the diamond they placed in the setting? I don't think it's going to be "shaved down" that much, if any. It just will look different with the diamond set, since the prongs will be turned to hold the diamond.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Ultimately ring design comes down to personal taste, but for me that setting is very high. Just be aware that a setting like this one is more prone to being bumped/knocked against things and caught on things simply because it's sitting quite high up off your finger. Having said that depending on your job/lifestyle this may not be an issue for you. Everyone is different and some people are harder on jewellery than others (I'd probably manage take out my own eye with a high set ring :???: ). Whatever you decide you have to love it but it also has to be practical and suit your lifestyle. Good luck LilyGrace - it's such an exciting time for you and I'm sure that whatever you decide it will be beautiful! :appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's difficult to completely tell from that photo, but I do not think it looks super chunky. Remember how magnified that picture is. The diamond looks super high bc it's just sitting on top. When you tried it on you liked the way it looked right? My ring is a non-cathedral, peg-head and I've been happy with it for 22+ years. If you're having second thoughts, then STOP the process and regroup ASAP. Only YOU need to be happy, but don't settle if you're unsure.

LilyGrace

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your opinions ! I think we will be waiting to see what it looks like once it's set and then go from there!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
LilyGrace, that's a great idea. Sometimes you have to live with a ring for a bit before you know for sure if it's the right one for you. As you will have seen from looking around PS, there's no rule that says you have to have the same one and only engagement ring forever. Good luck and be sure to come back and post pics when you get your beautiful ring! :)

LilyGrace

Rough_Rock
Well.... he finally popped the question this weekend !! It happened a little earlier than I expected and it was absolutely magical.

The ring is beautiful and while I do wish I had picked a more delicate style, I love it !

I just wanted to share some pictures of the finished product. Thank you all for your input !

img_13726.jpg

img_13727.jpg

img_13728.jpg

img_13729.jpg

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely stunning!!!! Congratulations on the ring - it looks beautiful on you and on your engagement! :appl:

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's absolutely beautiful!!! Congratulations on your engagement!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAWD - I love it - wouldn't choose anything else! Looks perfect on your hand - just perfect! Pls start a new thread bc people might not know to look back in this one and may miss your beautiful ring!!

Ariadne_Theia

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! Congratulations on your engagement!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! Congratulations to both of you on your engagement! :clap: :clap: :clap:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Congratulations! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results