shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Designer Backed Out: Help Needed

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A double halo from dk including shipping and so forth will not be cheaper than that blue nile one. And I think being out of the us there is value in having a easy transaction with blue nile is not something to discount. I like that one @SimoneDi suggested seems to look a lot like what you want.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think DK is on vacation this coming week.

Sounds like ccuheartnurse may have some local suggestions for you, but other than that, ID Jewelry in NY would seem to be your best bet. I think that Gabriel Amavida setting might be better quality than BN.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
DK was out from the 8th until last week. Amy is out until the 23rd. I’m waiting (Not so patiently) on a CAD from him. :P2:oops2::whistle:

I had him price a split shank halo (not double) for an elongated cushion that was larger and diamond u-stems under the halo, 14k white gold, and it came in at $2,650 USD. Just to give you a ballpark.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You must not see some of DKs work. :lol-2:
He’s quite comfortable copying work.

I had my new custom setting copied from someone very recognizable. I copied the pictures without the name..told the designer I wanted the ring exactly like the picture and it is...exactly except for the metal. I didn’t want platinum.but 18k white gold. He probably knew who’s it was but played like he didn’t know..Everyone was happy! It’s an EXACT copy! :whistle:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my new custom setting copied from someone very recognizable. I copied the pictures without the name..told the designer I wanted the ring exactly like the picture and it is...exactly except for the metal. I didn’t want platinum.but 18k white gold. He probably knew who’s it was but played like he didn’t know..Everyone was happy! It’s an EXACT copy! :whistle:

Call me the wet dishrag in this thread, but I'm really not seeing how this is remotely amusing or laudable?

Designers spend time and effort on their designs. Time + effort = money. A vendor who blindly copies a designer's custom creation can of course do so at a lower price point - because he didn't have to make that initial investment!

When a vendor regularly copies other vendors' custom designs,
1. He is guilty of theft: theft of intellectual property. And a person who requests an exact copy of a designer's custom design, knowing and ignoring the implications of that request, is a thief. I will never work with or recommend David Klass, despite the fact that his workmanship is very good, because I have no tolerance whatsoever for his professional ethic in this regard.
2. The copycat receives undeserved credit and monetary compensation for a creation that is not his.
3. The original designer does not receive well-deserved credit and monetary compensation for his design. For smaller operations... five or ten projects can and does make a very real difference.

Please don't ask vendors to clone other vendors' custom designs! If you absolutely must do this... please have the decency not to post about it publicly - a vendor is entitled to public acclaim for only his visualizations.

Last edited:

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
Is a budget of $4000 too-low/unreasonable to have a double halo, split shank ring made wit a .6-.7ct centre?

Diamonds for Less in Toronto returned my email stating they could do it for $3600, but I’ve since been told to avoid them due to possible dishonest grading practices.

The jeweller that backed out on me was going to do it for $4900, so I am suspicious of a price drop of over $1000.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is a budget of $4000 too-low/unreasonable to have a double halo, split shank ring made wit a .6-.7ct centre?

It's not, but you'll generally get what you pay for - fair (not stellar) workmanship and a fair (not stellar) stone. I can say from experience that BN's workmanship is much better than what you'd expect for the cost, and their customer service is fantastic - they've cottoned on to the fact that diamonds are luxury goods that they need to make an effort to woo consumers into purchasing! :mrgreen2: I second @SimoneDi 's recommendation.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call me the wet dishrag in this thread, but I'm really not seeing how this is remotely amusing or laudable?

Designers spend time and effort on their designs. Time + effort = money. A vendor who blindly copies a designer's custom creation can of course do so at a lower price point - because he didn't have to make that initial investment!

When a vendor regularly copies other vendors' custom designs,
1. He is guilty of theft: theft of intellectual property. And a person who requests an exact copy of a designer's custom design, knowing and ignoring the implications of that request, is a thief. I will never work with or recommend David Klass, despite the fact that his workmanship is very good, because I have no tolerance whatsoever for his professional ethic in this regard.
2. The copycat receives undeserved credit and monetary compensation for a creation that is not his.
3. The original designer does not receive well-deserved credit and monetary compensation for his design. For smaller operations... five or ten projects can and does make a very real difference.

Please don't ask vendors to clone other vendors' custom designs! If you absolutely must do this... please have the decency not to post about it publicly - a vendor is entitled to public acclaim for only his visualizations.
My design was copied from a major store and not any one designer... I had a diamond already and just loved the setting so I had it copied. You probably have something that is a knockoff of an original design and don’t even know it. No one got hurt in the process..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie That's very interesting about BN pave ring quality. I had not heard that. I take it you have seen their pave halo rings?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie That's very interesting about BN pave ring quality. I had not heard that. I take it you have seen their pave halo rings?

Anecdotal evidence ahead: two of my real world acquaintances have purchased halos from BN recently :))
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_50576?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample
and
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...num_42416?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

BN was accommodating of specific requests for "claw prongs" on the centerstone in both cases; they aren't as perfectly symmetric and pointed as our beloved PS casting vendors' goods, but much better than off-the-shelf stuff at most local places around here. The quality of the melee itself is excellent - the stones are clear and twinkly, and the pave is set evenly and cleanly. Excellent value for money in both cases, IMO.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My design was copied from a major store and not any one designer... I had a diamond already and just loved the setting so I had it copied. You probably have something that is a knockoff of an original design and don’t even know it. No one got hurt in the process..
Well, yssie was responding to your preceding post where you stated
I had my new custom setting copied from someone very recognizable [emphasis added]
& strongly indicated you yourself had qualms about ripping off the design (which I imagine is likely copyrighted) inasmuch as you "copied the pictures without the name" -- before seeming to chortle because "the jeweler probably knew who’s it was but played like he didn’t know."

Perhaps in the future you too will come to know someone whose designs are not knock-offs & then understand why I can't muster gleeful enthusiasm for the commissioning of "an EXACT copy!" of someone else's work.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anecdotal evidence ahead: two of my real world acquaintances have purchased halos from BN recently :))
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_50576?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample
and
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...num_42416?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

BN was accommodating of specific requests for "claw prongs" on the centerstone in both cases; they aren't as perfectly symmetric and pointed as our beloved PS casting vendors' goods, but much better than off-the-shelf stuff at most local places around here. The quality of the melee itself is excellent - the stones are clear and twinkly, and the pave is set evenly and cleanly. Excellent value for money in both cases, IMO.

That is very good to know! I think the one for $1860 is a great value! The other one looks great, too, but I'd go with Victor over paying $3390, personally. But it is helpful to know they are good quality. I am always hesitant about stock halo settings from big online diamond vendors. So your recommendation is valued!! (Now if I can just remember these settings the next time we are helping someone find a BN diamond!)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, yssie was responding to your preceding post where you stated
& strongly indicated you yourself had qualms about ripping off the design (which I imagine is likely copyrighted) inasmuch as you "copied the pictures without the name" -- before seeming to chortle because "the jeweler probably knew who’s it was but played like he didn’t know."

Perhaps in the future you too will come to know someone whose designs are not knock-offs & then understand why I can't muster gleeful enthusiasm for the commissioning of "an EXACT copy!" of someone else's work.
Sure...I’ll look forward to that...:D

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
It's not, but you'll generally get what you pay for - fair (not stellar) workmanship and a fair (not stellar) stone. I can say from experience that BN's workmanship is much better than what you'd expect for the cost, and their customer service is fantastic - they've cottoned on to the fact that diamonds are luxury goods that they need to make an effort to woo consumers into purchasing! :mrgreen2: I second @SimoneDi 's recommendation.
I love his recommendation, but it looks like it will put me over budget with a stone.

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
91E487B9-7048-447B-B271-EBBB5C8650D5.jpeg 5ED1558C-8254-46CD-A7AC-F23E15421800.png
I like the BN double halo split shank but saw this review stating it looks bigger than it is, and that’s it’s actually a petite pave, which I don’t want.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Nurse-88 a lot of that has to do with finger size, what looks petite on my side 8 finger will look much more substantial on a size 5 finger. What size is your fiance?

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
A61C8E57-BF10-458C-86CD-ECF4A124F57D.jpeg
@Nurse-88 a lot of that has to do with finger size, what looks petite on my side 8 finger will look much more substantial on a size 5 finger. What size is your fiance?

She is a 7.

Here is a photo of her actual finger with the double halo split shank Naom Carver.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, I’m sorry your original jeweller backed out. This journey will just be a testament to you and your beloved being able to get through the tough stuff! As a fellow Canadian, I lust after David klass’s work but for local stuff I had good luck with Marlow. Give him a shout and see what he says. If you know anyone in Calgary you may be able to save on tax, too!

https://www.marlowdesign.ca/

I did a small project with him but my friend did a larger one and it looked great :)

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
Do you recall the diamond size in that setting? Halos from designers are often different diameters for smaller or larger stones.
The store display model she has on here is set with a 1ct.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to add one more thing that BN rings are returnable. I personally think that the setting will look lovely and purchasing through BN will be hassle free shopping. Custom designs are really not for everyone and the ring automatically becomes non-returnable. Would the stone I suggested earlier put you much above budget? BN also has some financing options, if that could help in any way.

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
I just want to add one more thing that BN rings are returnable. I personally think that the setting will look lovely and purchasing through BN will be hassle free shopping. Custom designs are really not for everyone and the ring automatically becomes non-returnable. Would the stone I suggested earlier put you much above budget? BN also has some financing options, if that could help in any way.
They do have financing options, unfortunately they seem to only be for their American customers.

I do love that setting, though and the hassle free experience is enticing.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 on not going custom if you don't need to...things can get messy and disappointing as you're already seeing. This particular design isn't unique to Noam Carver either, so while i dont think it's unethical to have a jeweler make you a split shank cushion shaped double halo, there are so many variations on this theme out there that you can likely find what you want at your ideal price point and know exactly what you are getting before you buy.

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
+1 on not going custom if you don't need to...things can get messy and disappointing as you're already seeing. This particular design isn't unique to Noam Carver either, so while i dont think it's unethical to have a jeweler make you a split shank cushion shaped double halo, there are so many variations on this theme out there that you can likely find what you want at your ideal price point and know exactly what you are getting before you buy.

I’m having a hard time finding something similar within my price point that isn’t “custom”. The double halo on blue nile puts me over my budget with the usd to cad conversion, plus the hst I’ll have to pay at the border.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m having a hard time finding something similar within my price point that isn’t “custom”. The double halo on blue nile puts me over my budget with the usd to cad conversion, plus the hst I’ll have to pay at the border.

gotcha. if there's a local jeweler who can do it at a better price that's great. my own experience with a custom ring was mixed - the quote kept creeping incrementally higher even though the design didn't change, so i'm wary. that wasn't with any of the jewelers who've been recommended to you though.

i don't know enough about their design chops but b2c settings were mentioned on another thread by @whitewave i think, maybe she can chime in on whether they can pull this off well. they have something very similar at about 1/2 the price.

https://www.b2cjewels.com/1/asab680...alo-diamond-engagement-ring-in-14k-white-gold

whatever you choose, hope it turns out amazing =)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a bezeled heart shaped diamond with CAD and I thought they did a very nice job. I can’t speak for other designs. I would use them again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results