shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Designer Backed Out: Help Needed

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I had been talking to Aaron (DiamondShopper) in Toronto since March about creating a ring. I decided on a double halo split shank ring with a .7ct centre stone back in June. I emailed Aaron today, ready to begin the process and he replied letting me know that he won’t be able to create my ring any longer, as he is quite busy with the wholesale aspect of his business. He also expressed not feeling comfortable regarding “directly copying” designs. I wanted my partners ring to mimic a Naom Carver design, which back in March, was not an issue and I was told the ring “does not have any trademarked components and he can make it exactly that way.”

I’m now ready to purchase a ring, stuck starting from scratch.

Can anyone help me out by recommending another seller that can offer what Aaron was? I live in the Niagara region so Aaron’s email correspondence was extremely convenient. I’d also like to ensure the seller is LGBT friendly as we are a same-sex female couple.

Thank you in advance, feeling quite bummed/caught off guard here. Trying not to let this spoil the moment for me.

EDIT: I’m located in the Toronto area, Canada.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How awful and annoying for you and your fiancé to be.
And I’d HATE to think that ANY jeweller designer would treat a same sex couple any different to anyone else.
I’ve only used David Klass, as have many many people on PS with outstanding results. Obviously no jeweller feels comfortable “copying” another makers designs but being “inspired” is totally ok.
I believe he’s pretty busy (a sign of a good jeweller) so turn around might be 6 weeks or so, but I’d recommend him without hesitation.

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
And I’d HATE to think that ANY jeweller designer would treat a same sex couple any different to anyone else.
I’ve only used David Klass, as have many many people on PS with outstanding results. Obviously no jeweller feels comfortable “copying” another makers designs but being “inspired” is totally ok.
I believe he’s pretty busy (a sign of a good jeweller) so turn around might be 6 weeks or so, but I’d recommend him without hesitation.

Thank you for your reply. I don’t think it has anything to do with us being a same-sex couple as this is something I made known from the get-go, throughout our 50+ emails.

It’s simply frustrating as I spent close to 6 months and 50+ emails working with this particular designer only to be left to start all over again now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
It looks like David Klass is in LA. I’m located in the Toronto area in Canada.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like David Klass is in LA. I’m located in the Toronto area in Canada.
He ships fedex. Why don’t you reach out to him for a quote and compare that to the quotes you previously received? DK is great to work with. Do you have a diamond picked already? Also, what’s your budget?

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
He ships fedex. Why don’t you reach out to him for a quote and compare that to the quotes you previously received? DK is great to work with. Do you have a diamond picked already? Also, what’s your budget?
My budget is 4500CAD.

I don’t have a diamond, as I was going to purchase the setting and diamond from the jewelry I was working with.

Before he backed out, we had decided on a .7ct round, H S12, with the setting in the photo I attached earlier for $4900 taxes incl. (a bit over budget)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more option: https://www.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER9887W83JJ/amavida

I would contact IDJ in NYC, they can likely beat the price and source a great diamond for you.
Agreed. Ask for Yekutiel (pronounced Ya-KOO-tee-el) and tell him PriceScope suggested you contact him. That way he knows the quality of diamond you’re interested in. Give him your total budget, that setting design, and the specs you hope to see in your diamond (size, color range, clarity range). He’s great at finding very nice diamonds at reasonable prices.

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
The setting is great, but it will eat up $2500CAD of your budget. That does not leave much for the diamond. So, I'm going to 5th (6th) the suggestion to get a quote from David Klass.

This would be a more affordable halo double halo from A. Jaffe..
https://www.since1910.com/a--jaffe-me1864q-a-jaffe-double-halo-diamond-engagement-ring
More affordable, yes, but definitely don’t like it. Sorry!

I appreciate your help though!

I’m quite set on the style I originally posted, or something very similar as this is something my fiancé to be actually tried on and teared up over.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries! Get a quote from DK for the setting. To help get a good quote, from the listing on Noam Carver (http://www.noamcarver.com/details.asp?SKU=B035-01WM-100A) the setting is 0.48 tcw. It looks to me that the melee are all the same size.

The web link does not show a side view. I'd suggest that that area under the gallery be something like the below image (the diamonds on the structs are not necessary, just note the shape of the struts).

upload_2018-8-17_22-45-45.png
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-with-canera-cushion-in-double-halo

I'd also recommend that the outer halo stones be tilted downward by 20 degrees from level. DK will know what we mean and you can see this in the ring above. There is less metal visible from the sides.

Once you get a quote, that will give you a diamond budget. We can start looking for a stone at that point.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-17_22-50-43.png
    upload_2018-8-17_22-50-43.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 17

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
No worries! Get a quote from DK for the setting. To help get a good quote, from the listing on Noam Carver (http://www.noamcarver.com/details.asp?SKU=B035-01WM-100A) the setting is 0.48 tcw. It looks to me that the melee are all the same size.

The web link does not show a side view. I'd suggest that that area under the gallery be something like the below image (the diamonds on the structs are not necessary, just note the shape of the struts).

upload_2018-8-17_22-45-45.png
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-with-canera-cushion-in-double-halo

I'd also recommend that the outer halo stones be tilted downward by 20 degrees from level. DK will know what we mean and you can see this in the ring above. There is less metal visible from the sides.

Once you get a quote, that will give you a diamond budget. We can start looking for a stone at that point.

The Naom Carver ring is much more flush to the finger. I’ve seen it in person. I don’t want the ring to sit up so high like the photo you attached. I’ll attach a photo of the ring in person. It doesn’t quite show a side view but the centre of the ring doesn’t sit high up on the finger much. 59213B3E-1D14-4B23-BF01-257456050A06.jpeg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a view side-views of Noam Carver double halos (I personally prefer #1 for looks and cleaning access). This look like your memory? If neither match, then can you take a trip back to the jeweler and take photos from the side?

This view does show the reason I'd recommend tilting the halo off level by 20 degrees. You'll see diamonds from the sides, not metal.

upload_2018-8-17_23-25-23.png
upload_2018-8-17_23-26-29.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This view does show the reason I'd recommend tilting the halo off level by 20 degrees. You'll see diamonds from the sides, not metal.
upload_2018-8-17_23-25-23.png

:clap: Agreed; a tilted halo alleviates the ring from looking like a flying saucer from the side.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You must not see some of DKs work. :lol-2:
He’s quite comfortable copying work.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a little correction about Blue Nile pricing @SimoneDi. The prices on their website are before taxes. The taxes are added after the item is purchased. You pay the full amount including provincial taxes before the item is shipped. Blue Nile is in Washington state, and once you’ve given them your address etc they’ll know which provincial tax to charge.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a little correction about Blue Nile pricing @SimoneDi. The prices on their website are before taxes. The taxes are added after the item is purchased. You pay the full amount including provincial taxes before the item is shipped. Blue Nile is in Washington state, and once you’ve given them your address etc they’ll know which provincial tax to charge.
Thank you for the correction! I meant to say no additional duty tax in comparison to buying from other US retailers.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your reply. I don’t think it has anything to do with us being a same-sex couple as this is something I made known from the get-go, throughout our 50+ emails.

It’s simply frustrating as I spent close to 6 months and 50+ emails working with this particular designer only to be left to start all over again now.

That may be the problem. The designer may have also concluded that it was too much work, coupled with not wanting to copy another designers work.....

Nurse-88

Rough_Rock
That may be the problem. The designer may have also concluded that it was too much work, coupled with not wanting to copy another designers work.....
He has dozens of reviews on Google and from what I’ve gathered, many of his customers spent months asking questions/emailing back & forth with him, so it didn’t appear to be an issue, rather a norm for him and his business. He also has an active thread on red flag deals (Canadian forums) where he answers questions about diamonds. This threads been running for years.

I also asked him if he was able to design a similar ring months ago, to which he replied that it was not a problem as the ring had no trademarked designs and he could easily make the same ring for me. This was all via email.

If he has told me he could not make the same ring, I would’ve easily said it was fine and we could alter the design or choose a style from his webpage. I had no issues with that, but he said he could make the same ring without any issues, until he changed his mind when I was ready to purchase.

Very frustrating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results