shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring design ideas for emerald and diamond

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
C5801044-FF31-40F8-9250-71E0F79B45EB.jpeg Hi guys.

I have two shield cut emeralds and a carré cut diamond. I want to make a ring for me with them but don’t know what design.

Any ideas? See photo of the stones.

Thanks.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would halo the carre to bring it more into scale with the emeralds. Do you want to set the stones N/S or E/W? Not sure how big they are, but going E/W may be wider than your finger... ?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the center stone needs a bit more scale for the two emerald cuts. I think if you go the halo route I suggest using baguettes to keep the step cut theme going. Really pretty stones btw.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gah! Your stones are always so drool worthy! I love the idea you have for this! But I wonder if you would be able to get away with the diamond at this size and just set it like a signet/knights ring.

Inspo photo below....replacing the actual shields on the side w. the emeralds and the center shield w. the carre cut in a patterned gold...

knights-templar-masonic-cross-ring-in-sterling-silver-with-red-shields-style-017r-57e997e42.jpg

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C5801044-FF31-40F8-9250-71E0F79B45EB.jpeg Hi guys.

I have two shield cut emeralds and a carré cut diamond. I want to make a ring for me with them but don’t know what design.

Any ideas? See photo of the stones.

Thanks.
What are the measurement of the stones? Your finger size?

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gah! Your stones are always so drool worthy! I love the idea you have for this! But I wonder if you would be able to get away with the diamond at this size and just set it like a signet/knights ring.

Inspo photo below....replacing the actual shields on the side w. the emeralds and the center shield w. the carre cut in a patterned gold...

knights-templar-masonic-cross-ring-in-sterling-silver-with-red-shields-style-017r-57e997e42.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!!

Initially, I saw that ring and thought that was totally not me at all. But when I read your description and visualised it without the shields and the fussiness, I can see it working!

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would halo the carre to bring it more into scale with the emeralds. Do you want to set the stones N/S or E/W? Not sure how big they are, but going E/W may be wider than your finger... ?
I agree that the center stone needs a bit more scale for the two emerald cuts. I think if you go the halo route I suggest using baguettes to keep the step cut theme going. Really pretty stones btw.

Yeah- a good idea to halo the carré. But doing it with baguettes. I’m not a round stone fan really, so baguettes would be ideal.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliments!!

Initially, I saw that ring and thought that was totally not me at all. But when I read your description and visualised it without the shields and the fussiness, I can see it working!

I thought so too but it was the "cleanest" ring in this type of description that I could find. Signet rings came with a bunch of plain rings with no real points of reference...and knights rings all have so many overlapping details I just gave up.

From your various previous projects I can tell that you like very simple clean lines, sorry if the photo threw you off!

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I thought so too but it was the "cleanest" ring in this type of description that I could find. Signet rings came with a bunch of plain rings with no real points of reference...and knights rings all have so many overlapping details I just gave up.

From your various previous projects I can tell that you like very simple clean lines, sorry if the photo threw you off!

Yeah, you know me well. I like clean lines.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring size US 9.

The carré is 8mm and the shields are 10mm x 9mm I believe.

Hmm.. You might want to get some flesh colored play doh and make a dummy band. Tuck the stones into that band. The issue I see is that the center will fit fine, but you may need something to fill in the to between then. Like maybe a baguette or frenchies. I measured using my DH's ring with is just a bit bigger. Just carefully clean the emeralds afterwards and don't let them sit in the playdoh for hours.

Here's my mock-up keeping the proportions pretty close to reality. This assumes you set the shield points down. I used a 12 mm total width at the top here.
upload_2018-7-6_9-34-40.png

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stones would make a beautiful pendant as well. You could place the two colored stones- flat sides facing together-sort of like a bow tie shape and then below that place the diamond in the center.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These are beautiful stones, can't wait to see what you come up with!!!

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmm.. You might want to get some flesh colored play doh and make a dummy band. Tuck the stones into that band. The issue I see is that the center will fit fine, but you may need something to fill in the to between then. Like maybe a baguette or frenchies. I measured using my DH's ring with is just a bit bigger. Just carefully clean the emeralds afterwards and don't let them sit in the playdoh for hours.

Here's my mock-up keeping the proportions pretty close to reality. This assumes you set the shield points down. I used a 12 mm total width at the top here.
upload_2018-7-6_9-34-40.png

Thanks for the mock up. Love it! And yeah- gonna try that play-doh idea.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the mock up. Love it! And yeah- gonna try that play-doh idea.
Happy to help. What I want you to really test is if the shields will set ok along the finger sides. It may be that like a traditional signet, you need to push the top of the stones away from center to get them more vertical due to the curvature of the finger.

Have a look at this ring with flush set side stones. Your shields are longer than these in the first image. So, by my math, you'll need to push the top out wider to get them straighter on the sides to have room for the length.

upload_2018-7-6_13-43-51.png

https://www.langantiques.com/18k-white-gold-coat-of-arms-signet-ring.html

So, your profile needs to be more vertical on the side Like the below example. Not quite as extreme as this, but it shows the idea well. My granddad used to call these "linebacker setting" as they looked like they had shoulder pads.

upload_2018-7-6_13-45-17.png
https://www.langantiques.com/gent-s-star-sapphire-and-diamond-ring.html

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-6_13-42-27.png
    upload_2018-7-6_13-42-27.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 10

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Here's a couple of pics.. asscher with shield shoulders. asscher with shield shoulders.jpg asscher frontviw with shield shoulders.jpg

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
One more pic - the backside asscher shield backview.jpg

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones. You have great taste. ;)2

I like some of the styles on this website. Although, they are based in London, England, they have some gorgeous contemporary styles.
https://www.mccaul.com/our-collection/

I follow these guys on instagram. I’m actually based in the UK so being in London suits me better.

Their designs are amazing...

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's a couple of pics.. asscher with shield shoulders. asscher with shield shoulders.jpg asscher frontviw with shield shoulders.jpg

Great ring, but too feminine for a guy and this looks more like an engagement ring.

Still beautiful though.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I love this idea! It will highlight each stone and keep the ring manly and not look feminine. Simple but makes a statement. Great suggestion!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Happy to help. What I want you to really test is if the shields will set ok along the finger sides. It may be that like a traditional signet, you need to push the top of the stones away from center to get them more vertical due to the curvature of the finger.

Have a look at this ring with flush set side stones. Your shields are longer than these in the first image. So, by my math, you'll need to push the top out wider to get them straighter on the sides to have room for the length.

upload_2018-7-6_13-43-51.png

https://www.langantiques.com/18k-white-gold-coat-of-arms-signet-ring.html

So, your profile needs to be more vertical on the side Like the below example. Not quite as extreme as this, but it shows the idea well. My granddad used to call these "linebacker setting" as they looked like they had shoulder pads.

upload_2018-7-6_13-45-17.png
https://www.langantiques.com/gent-s-star-sapphire-and-diamond-ring.html

@rockysalamander :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: for finding a better inspo photo than what I was able to find! (and for a WAYYY better explanation)

partysocks

Rough_Rock
jen atkin.jpg jen atkin2.jpg

I realize this is a very feminine pave band setting but the way Jen Atkin (celebrity hairdresser) set her three stones vertically is amazing. Instead of pave they could be bezeled, done east-west across two fingers, etc.

Just throwing more ideas out!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @partysocks. The "long way" is how I would set your gorgeous stones. A real statement ring.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d walk in & see what the McCaul store would dream up. I know they’ve done quite a few stunning pieces but perhaps they’ve not come across a wish list like yours. I’m really curious what they’d suggest. Lol. Plus, I LOVE the Dune wedding band in white metal. If I had a fiancé, that’s the one I’d make him wear. Lol lol.
All in all, I like the ring Metall posted. It will be contmporary, classic & masculine at the same time.
Looking forward to seeing where this design goes. :).

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
jen atkin.jpg jen atkin2.jpg

I realize this is a very feminine pave band setting but the way Jen Atkin (celebrity hairdresser) set her three stones vertically is amazing. Instead of pave they could be bezeled, done east-west across two fingers, etc.

Just throwing more ideas out!

This is a Lorraine Schwartz ring . I absolutely adore her design. Would be my dream job as she is so innovative and works with dream stones.

I know of Jen Atkin too - she works for the Kardashians. My guilty pleasure.

I’m definitely considering the idea of a ring like that. Would look awesome. And bezel set would make it a bit more masculine but keeping it a good statement ring.

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’d walk in & see what the McCaul store would dream up. I know they’ve done quite a few stunning pieces but perhaps they’ve not come across a wish list like yours. I’m really curious what they’d suggest. Lol. Plus, I LOVE the Dune wedding band in white metal. If I had a fiancé, that’s the one I’d make him wear. Lol lol.
All in all, I like the ring Metall posted. It will be contmporary, classic & masculine at the same time.
Looking forward to seeing where this design goes. :).

I’m going to send them a message on Instagram and see what they’d come up with.

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
AD93AEB6-3843-4A9A-BB04-A0DE7D3A8CB5.png I’ve decided to have the stones set like the Lorraine Schwartz band - with a bezel setting around all stones. No pave setting. See photo.

What width of band should I have the ring set with? And what metal?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring is based on Theo Thanel's Bombe ring designs, set with concave cut Amethyst from Richard Homer with trillion Sky Blue Topaz sides cut by Doug Menadue:
IMAG1844.jpg

Some of TT's designs:
1-1-15-0038_crop.jpg
1-1-15-0027_0.jpg 0003474_300_0.png
DK :))

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My ring is based on Theo Thanel's Bombe ring designs, set with concave cut Amethyst from Richard Homer with trillion Sky Blue Topaz sides cut by Doug Menadue:
IMAG1844.jpg

Some of TT's designs:
1-1-15-0038_crop.jpg
1-1-15-0027_0.jpg 0003474_300_0.png
DK :))

Love your ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results