shape
carat
color
clarity

Richard Homer Yellow Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Cleaning:

Baby toothbrush, dish soap and warm water. If the setting is NOT white gold, then you can put it in a little pot of warm water, ammonia based jewellery cleaner and a bit of dish soap over night. Just rinse it well the next morning.

If your setting does NOT have pave and Wink or Richard say that the feather will be fine, then you can buy an ultrasonic - they are not suitable for all gemstones before you get one and plonk everything in it!

I use mine once a week or so with warm water and a bit of windex or similar.

General stuff:

Take your ring off when you are doing dangerous things - cooking, housework, gardening, rock climbing, showering, sleeping etc and please don''t put hand lotion on without taking the ring off first!
28.gif

All rings and stones need to be looked after (including diamonds) but coloured stones often need a bit more TLC to keep them looking good for years to come.

Many of us here with coloured e-rings don''t wear them at all unless we are out or have people over.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Pandora had some good advice.

I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner even though my jewelry can take it. I put my jewelry SECURELY in their box and leave it open when I am showering, the steam will get some of the dirt off the stones, I then wipe it with a cloth (the same type I would use for sunglasses or CD''s). Than I soak it in dish-soap and water for a few minutes and use a lipstick brush (a cheap one from Target) to clean between the tight spots.

I usually "steam them" a couple times a week and do the big cleaning about once a month, but a little dirt does not bother me, so I let my jewelry go longer than some people on here would.

Brandytab

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:15:28 PM
Author: Pandora II
Cleaning:

Baby toothbrush, dish soap and warm water. If the setting is NOT white gold, then you can put it in a little pot of warm water, ammonia based jewellery cleaner and a bit of dish soap over night. Just rinse it well the next morning.

If your setting does NOT have pave and Wink or Richard say that the feather will be fine, then you can buy an ultrasonic - they are not suitable for all gemstones before you get one and plonk everything in it!

I use mine once a week or so with warm water and a bit of windex or similar.

General stuff:

Take your ring off when you are doing dangerous things - cooking, housework, gardening, rock climbing, showering, sleeping etc and please don''t put hand lotion on without taking the ring off first!
28.gif

All rings and stones need to be looked after (including diamonds) but coloured stones often need a bit more TLC to keep them looking good for years to come.

Many of us here with coloured e-rings don''t wear them at all unless we are out or have people over.

The setting IS white gold, so I can''t do the first idea.

I planned on taking it off during those sorts of things. So, I''m reading that if I''m sitting home, I should leave it off? But if I''m heading out for the day, go ahead and put it on? Is that the best tactic?

And to everyone here, I actually got my wedding band from LOGR. Unfortunately it doesn''t match my e-ring at all (hubby "officially" proposed with the ring quite late in the game, obviously, so I hadn''t seen the e-ring yet when I bought the band. He thought it''d match... not close). Anyway, I was glad I found this place (due to the forum here) because I got what I think is a great wedding band loaded with diamonds (I think pave?) for an excellent price.

Brandytab

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 4:23:28 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner even though my jewelry can take it. I put my jewelry SECURELY in their box and leave it open when I am showering, the steam will get some of the dirt off the stones, I then wipe it with a cloth (the same type I would use for sunglasses or CD''s). Than I soak it in dish-soap and water for a few minutes and use a lipstick brush (a cheap one from Target) to clean between the tight spots.

I usually ''steam them'' a couple times a week and do the big cleaning about once a month, but a little dirt does not bother me, so I let my jewelry go longer than some people on here would.

So, dish soap and water is good for white gold?

I bought some jewelry cleaner that squeezes out of a bottle. Better or not? BTW big thanks for the lipstick brush tip - I have a million of them, but never thought to use that.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
echoing the others: i don''t wear my color stone e-ring 24/7. however, it is the last thing i put on before i go out the door. i also echo not using anything other than a soft brush and dishsoap to clean your ring.

welcome to the world of color!

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would venture to guess that it's probably also a heat treated sapphire as well for that price and by such a well known faceter. Around $600/ct is a small price to pay for a nice yellow sapphire with expert faceting. Looks like a mini sun. I really like it, and I'm not even into yellow stones or sapphires.

Pastel gems tend to "dirty" in their appearance more than darker gems IMO as well.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 5:52:24 PM
Author: Brandytab

Date: 4/2/2009 4:23:28 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

I usually ''steam them'' a couple times a week and do the big cleaning about once a month, but a little dirt does not bother me, so I let my jewelry go longer than some people on here would.

So, dish soap and water is good for white gold?

I bought some jewelry cleaner that squeezes out of a bottle. Better or not? BTW big thanks for the lipstick brush tip - I have a million of them, but never thought to use that.
Yes, it''s fine. If the jewellery cleaner contains ammonia then it''s a no.

On LtlFireCracker''s post, just want to clarify that her kind of ''steaming'' is very different from a jeweller''s steaming - don''t let them near a coloured stone with one of their steamers (or at least I wouldn''t.)

I take my rings off the moment I walk in the door and put them on again when I leave (unless I''m planning to go somewhere or do something that is ring unfriendly...) I also keep a ring box in my handbag in case I have to carry something heavy or so something potentially dangerous when I''m out - lifting heavy suitcases is a great way to distort fragile settings and lose melee etc.

I am extremely cautious with my rings (mainly because it took so long to find the right tsavorite and it would be very hard to replace so I''m super paranoid), many other people don''t baby them as much and have no problems. Really depends on how much of a klutz you are and how you would feel if you had to replace/repolish your ring in the future.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pandora, that is good to know about the steaming, I have never taken my stuff in to a store to have it cleaned.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink has a very gentle yet inexpensive cleaner that he sells. That's a very good product for almost all gemstones and diamonds, regardless of type of metal. I would use it weekly with a baby toothbrush, then rinse it (while scrubbing). It's ammonia free and doesn't have that chemical smell.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results