shape
carat
color
clarity

Review on these diamonds

tote13

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I just purchased these diamonds but I found out after purchasing one of the diamond GIA certificate date is Oct 2014. That diamond has HCA score of 1. But is it being 5 years old a concern? I paid 8500 dollars for it including settings. Please let me know if its a good deal.

GIA Report Number : 2186442446 https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2186442446
Date : Oct 21, 2014
Measurements: 6.07 - 6.09 3.72 mm
Carat: 0.84
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Cloud, Feather
Crown Angle: 34.0
Pavillion: 40.8
Table: 57%
Depth: 61.2%
HCA Score: 1

GIA Report Number : 6315068536 https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6315068536
Date : Oct 30, 2018
Measurement: 6.02 - 6.06 3.74 mm
Carat: 0.84
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Feather
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavillion: 41.0
Table: 56%
Depth: 61.9%
HCA score: 1.7

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Assuming that there is no physical damage to the stone, it should be good. However you may want to get a good appraiser to check the stone for any damage that might potentially change the grading report if it were to be sent back to GIA.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In total, you got 2 stones + settings for 8500? Were they a matched pair for earrings? Just want to make sure I understand before saying if it was a fair deal or not.

tote13

Rough_Rock
In total, you got 2 stones + settings for 8500? Were they a matched pair for earrings? Just want to make sure I understand before saying if it was a fair deal or not.
Yes, I got two stones + settings and they were a pair for earrings.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were the settings simple 4 or 6 prong in 14k or 18k gold, or something more elaborate? For 8500, you could get stones in a very similar size from whiteflash that are super ideal cut and come with a $1 upgrade policy. I'd personally much prefer that to GIA stones where one cert is so old. But obviously if the settings are more elaborate or platinum then what I said might be wrong.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are a nicely matched pair dimensions wise. Just had a quick look at whiteflash and Blue Nile just to compare and it could be a good deal depending on the settings. If plain, I think you might have been able to pay less than what you actually did.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are a nicely matched pair dimensions wise. Just had a quick look at whiteflash and Blue Nile just to compare and it could be a good deal depending on the settings. If plain, I think you might have been able to pay less than what you actually did.
I think it's important to note that on WF, OP could pay less for better cut (super ideal) stones that come with a $1 upgrade policy.

tote13

Rough_Rock
Were the settings simple 4 or 6 prong in 14k or 18k gold, or something more elaborate? For 8500, you could get stones in a very similar size from whiteflash that are super ideal cut and come with a $1 upgrade policy. I'd personally much prefer that to GIA stones where one cert is so old. But obviously if the settings are more elaborate or platinum then what I said might be wrong.
It's 18K white gold three prong martini with La Pousette Earring Backs or screw back. Do you mean the old GIA certificate is good one vs the other one?

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to note that on WF, OP could pay less for better cut (super ideal) stones that come with a $1 upgrade policy.

Indeed. I would have been bargaining hard for these. $5.5-$6k would have been the highest I would’ve paid for both of them inclusive of setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's 18K white gold three prong martini with La Pousette Earring Backs or screw back. Do you mean the old GIA certificate is good one vs the other one?
No, I mean I wouldn't be comfortable paying so much $ for those stones. Especially because one of them has such an old certificate. I think you paid too much for stones that aren't super ideal and don't come with an upgrade policy.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=4063435&Diamond2=4109134

From whiteflash, come with $1 upgrade policy, super ideal cut + guaranteed performance.

3 prong martini settings in 14k white gold
https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/3-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-304.htm

8k in total (so 500 less than you paid), for higher quality stones and $1 upgrade policy. So IMHO you overpaid and I would have chosen these (or any of the other options from WF) rather than the ones you purchased.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@tote13, were these stones and setting ore-owned or were they “new”?

Because if new, I would have insisted on the stone with the old GIA report to have been sent back in for regrading.

Both of these stones are well within PS super ideal proportions so that isn’t an issue with me.

tote13

Rough_Rock
No, I mean I wouldn't be comfortable paying so much $ for those stones. Especially because one of them has such an old certificate. I think you paid too much for stones that aren't super ideal and don't come with an upgrade policy.
They do have 110% upgrade policy after one year. How do I know if they are super ideal? I was checking the similar diamond specs on whiteflash and specially for old cert diamond the specs fall under A Cut above category. Also, I was checking the diamonds that are in A Cut above category on whiteflash and their HCA score was around 1.2 vs the old certificate diamond had 1.0
does it mean these diamond do not fall into super ideal cut? :( I am in tight spot here because I did upgrade on these diamonds. I couldnot return it and re purchase it on WF or BN. My best bet was finding a diamond close to WF super ideal specs and match to it.

tote13

Rough_Rock
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...etails.aspx?Diamond1=4063435&Diamond2=4109134

From whiteflash, come with $1 upgrade policy, super ideal cut + guaranteed performance.

3 prong martini settings in 14k white gold
https://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/3-prong-martini-diamond-earrings-304.htm

8k in total (so 500 less than you paid), for higher quality stones and $1 upgrade policy. So IMHO you overpaid and I would have chosen these (or any of the other options from WF) rather than the ones you purchased.
I did take a look at that. The difference is its clarity is SI1 vs the one I got is VS2. I would have totally bought it from WF if I would have known about WF years back and trusted online retailers vs the brick and mortar store. I do not have much option to return them and re purchase it from WF. The best option I have got is get these diamond in super ideal specs and have a diamond in a quality that WF provides. I do have option to exchange or upgrade just cant return it : (

tote13

Rough_Rock
@tote13, were these stones and setting ore-owned or were they “new”?

Because if new, I would have insisted on the stone with the old GIA report to have been sent back in for regrading.

Both of these stones are well within PS super ideal proportions so that isn’t an issue with me.

Yes, at first I just paid attention to super ideal proportions and they fall under it thats why I upgraded it to these diamonds. Once I got home and realized about the old date I called the SA and he told me he can assure me he didnt sell me a pre owned diamond. That diamond has been on a pendant at a showroom thats why its old. The settings are new as well.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did take a look at that. The difference is its clarity is SI1 vs the one I got is VS2. I would have totally bought it from WF if I would have known about WF years back and trusted online retailers vs the brick and mortar store. I do not have much option to return them and re purchase it from WF. The best option I have got is get these diamond in super ideal specs and have a diamond in a quality that WF provides. I do have option to exchange or upgrade just cant return it : (

Ok, i’m going to take a chill pill here now. OP, you’ve paid for stones that are within super ideal proportions. I’m presuming that you have seen them and that you like how they look.

Given the lab reports are telling us that the proportions look pretty good, I’d be thinking that if your jeweller was to put these stones under an Idealscope or ASET and provide you with the images that they would look pretty good.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aha, ok that makes sense. I didn't realize you were upgrading vs just buying new. I agree with @bmfang that these stones are within "super ideal" ranges so I'm certainly not trying to imply they are poorly cut. My issue is that the GIA certification is really old for one of them, so a re-certification would be helpful. When we talk about "super ideal", we mean the branded cuts from trusted vendors ("a cut above" from whiteflash, "crafted by infinity" from HP diamonds, or signature/black from brian gavin). But if you find stones with similar specs, they are usually good.

The issue is that GIA rounds when calculating values, whereas AGS does not. So AGS 000 stones are much more guaranteed to be excellent vs GIA XXX. Many GIA XXX are actually terrible. Yours seem good, but it's always helpful to have ASET/IS images to guarantee performance.

That said, if you can't return and buy from WF or HPD for the upgrade policy/guaranteed quality, then these look pretty good. If I were you, I would tell them to re-certify the stone with the older certification (just to make sure that the certification is still accurate even after the years).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, i’m going to take a chill pill here now. OP, you’ve paid for stones that are within super ideal proportions. I’m presuming that you have seen them and that you like how they look.

Given the lab reports are telling us that the proportions look pretty good, I’d be thinking that if your jeweller was to put these stones under an Idealscope or ASET and provide you with the images that they would look pretty good.

haha yup, same.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, at first I just paid attention to super ideal proportions and they fall under it thats why I upgraded it to these diamonds. Once I got home and realized about the old date I called the SA and he told me he can assure me he didnt sell me a pre owned diamond. That diamond has been on a pendant at a showroom thats why its old. The settings are new as well.

Excellent. I am hoping that when they unmounted that stone from the pendant that they didn’t damage the girdle prior to resetting into the martini setting.

tote13

Rough_Rock

Thank you I will ask them so.

tote13

Rough_Rock
Excellent. I am hoping that when they unmounted that stone from the pendant that they didn’t damage the girdle prior to resetting into the martini setting.
Yes, thats somewhere was my concern as well. I will talk to them about re-certifying it again. Thank you for all the info.

tote13

Rough_Rock
Aha, ok that makes sense. I didn't realize you were upgrading vs just buying new. I agree with @bmfang that these stones are within "super ideal" ranges so I'm certainly not trying to imply they are poorly cut. My issue is that the GIA certification is really old for one of them, so a re-certification would be helpful. When we talk about "super ideal", we mean the branded cuts from trusted vendors ("a cut above" from whiteflash, "crafted by infinity" from HP diamonds, or signature/black from brian gavin). But if you find stones with similar specs, they are usually good.

The issue is that GIA rounds when calculating values, whereas AGS does not. So AGS 000 stones are much more guaranteed to be excellent vs GIA XXX. Many GIA XXX are actually terrible. Yours seem good, but it's always helpful to have ASET/IS images to guarantee performance.

That said, if you can't return and buy from WF or HPD for the upgrade policy/guaranteed quality, then these look pretty good. If I were you, I would tell them to re-certify the stone with the older certification (just to make sure that the certification is still accurate even after the years).
This is really helpful information. I am definitely considering WF for my future purchase but was just nervous about the trade I had. I would ask them about re-certifying the stone. Thanks for your time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results