shape
carat
color
clarity

Return HOF 1.563 SI1/J or go with 1.90 GIA 3x SI1/H?

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
I bought the HOF and am supposed to propose next week in Florida. However, after learning more about HOF, their branding and the quality, I feel the amount of difference in sparkle and brilliance is not worth the premium price. I know to a trained expert you can notice the difference but my girlfriend most likely couldn't. The retail price on my HOF was $18,095 and they came down to $15,000. I purchased it on Feb 13 and had them hold it until March 21st and they shipped it to her Mom in another state so I could avoid sales tax. I picked it up on the 23rd and I just wasn't feeling great about it because I could have gotten a bigger stone and about two color grades better for the money. My problem is they have a 30 day return policy but I feel since I didn't take delivery on it until the 23rd they should extend the return policy and consider my situation. Do you guys think they should let me return it or not?

I bought this from a high-end retailer CD Peacock in Oakbrook, IL and a few days ago I went to a small-time family run jewelry shop and confirmed my thoughts. As I received my HOF, I bought this 1.90 GIA 3X SI1 H color for $15,997 from Blue Nile. The local family jeweler said my Tacori setting (HT2510) probably will accommodate the bigger stone but isn't 100% sure until he sees it. He also said if I got this new stone to him on Tuesday, it would not be properly set in time for our flight to Florida, Thursday morning.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06612897

So my plan is to propose with the HOF and when we get back to explain to my future fiancé this whole situation and if she does want the bigger stone, to return the HOF and get the bigger stone set for her.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome! I am under the gun here.

Thanks,

Ryan

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Before you do anything, confirm that the hof is returnable. It may not be.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once you confirm the HoF is returnable, I'd get the larger stone... Hands down.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Do you say that because of the size difference or the HOF sparkle isn't as great as their marketing says?

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
I know it will be a fight. I'm just waiting to see what my lady says. One buddy of mine said I shouldn't even tell her about the other bigger stone and to own it and love it. Changing the stone out after proposing, is that uncommon?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RyanB12|1459103303|4011755 said:
I know it will be a fight. I'm just waiting to see what my lady says. One buddy of mine said I shouldn't even tell her about the other bigger stone and to own it and love it. Changing the stone out after proposing, is that uncommon?

Regarding why I'd chose the larger one, if she wouldn't know the difference (as I wouldn't), I wouldn't pay a premium for a branded cut in a much smaller stone in a lower color.

Also, your buddy isn't gonna wear the ring forever... she is. I'd ask her.

I recommend proposing with the stone in a temporary (i.e. cheap) setting and getting the real setting to accommodate whichever stone she decides on later (I'd make sure to have a setting that was meant for the stone instead of trying to "make it work")... and I'm almost certain she'll want the larger one.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RyanB12|1459103209|4011754 said:
Thanks! Do you say that because of the size difference or the HOF sparkle isn't as great as their marketing says?

The same quality (or arguably better) super ideal 57 faceted round brilliant can be purchased from Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, Good Old Gold, Crafted by Infinity, Blue Nile, James Allen or any PS vendor or even locally at a MUCH cheaper price.

HOF is just insanely expensive and overpriced

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your feedback. Does anyone know how to get around the 30 day return policy? It's past the 30 days, about 45 now. I didn't take delivery of it until a couple days ago. I instructed them to hold it until I was ready to go get it.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just call them up and ask! Without knowing the absolute details of their return policy it's impossible to say how they'll react. They have worked with you on the price and on the delivery to save more money, I think they will likely say no. I would also not propose until you know exactly what's happening!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the choice, I would take the 1.90 with the higher color.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would send the HOF stone back ASAP. Put a deposit on the new stone you are interested in, & I would propose with a gemstone ring that she eventually would wear on her right hand. Or give us the budget & we can find something for you. Check Loupe Troop or Diamond Bistro for a preowned setting & the gals/guys in the Colored Stone section will square you up on a nice gemstone ring or gemstone band. This way, she will have some say in her setting because you'll have already bought the stone. This might work out really well. :)) If you need a gemstone setting & want a new one, Stuller works fast & they have nice settings that are inexpensive. It's a bit of a winding road to get to the proposal, but I hope she's the kind of girl that would be thrilled for you having taken so many steps to make her happy.

Good Luck. :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to call them and hassle them to see if they will accept the return of it, otherwise it is all academic. I agree with the others I would buy a triple ex from one of the recommended vendors in a larger size for the same money. The only way HOF stones are great value is if they are preloved and on sale, and even then I think a triple ex from a recommended vendor represents better value.

RyanB12

Rough_Rock
I appreciate your thoughts. I really am hoping to return the HOF 1.563 stone and have the 1.90 GIA triple X stone set in it's place. Hearts on fire is great, but just not worth it to me. I wish I realized this sooner. What makes hearts on fire great are things that only trained experts can see, for the most part. You can argue against that but the differences are so minute that the premium on price doesn't make it worth it to me. I would say put three stones in front of you and only one being HOF and you wouldn't get it right every time. Here are the links to the two stones. The 1.90 was $997 more.

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/diamond-details/LD06612897?track=Detlink2

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104083180084-PDQDFK.PDF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results