shape
carat
color
clarity

Results have been calculated: and the average PS e-ring size is...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LDubs

Shiny_Rock
Well done! I''ve been waiting for these results - I''m so glad you came up with the idea :)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this is great information and really interesting! Thanks for doing this survey. I guess it isn''t surprising the PSers are fans of NICE bling. :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I think that nicely shows the variety of sizes people have. Thanks for taking the time to put that up.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Gwen thanks for doing that :) you seriously rock :D

BTW your new avatar pic is adorable :) you look fantastic as always :)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Wow. That''s pretty interesting. Thanks for divying the diamonds up equally. I would love to be in the two and a half carat bunch!!

As a side note, WHO has the 10 ct beauty? And, where do I find its pics??

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
WOW. Great work Gwen. Thank you so much !
So it seems I''m below average ... No worries gals I will catch up in due time
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the graph. There''s this little dot that I just feel is calling to me, maybe that was my e-ring dot so I''ve adopted it.

There was another forum I was a member of at one point in time where one of the LIW put together a graph based on how long people have been dating, when people got engaged, and how long their engagement was before marriage. It was very complex data, I''d imagine!! But no where near as many people as this one appears to be.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 3:48:15 AM
Author: Addy
I love the graph. There's this little dot that I just feel is calling to me, maybe that was my e-ring dot so I've adopted it.

There was another forum I was a member of at one point in time where one of the LIW put together a graph based on how long people have been dating, when people got engaged, and how long their engagement was before marriage. It was very complex data, I'd imagine!! But no where near as many people as this one appears to be.
Wow, that sounds a lot more complicated than what I did. Not even sure where to start--what, was it a line graph, to show the progression of each couple's relationship over time?
33.gif

Thanks to everyone who's commented! Glad you appreciate my geekiness.
2.gif

PS: Deelight, thanks, babe! That was taken this past week when J was visiting!
5.gif

somethingshiny: I honestly don't remember off the top of my head, but if you read through the other thread, you'll be able to find it. It's 9 pages long so you'd have to be fairly driven in your curiosity to search, but it is there.
1.gif

LtlFirecracker: No prob! I'm just glad I finally got a way to post it! I don't generally make scatterplots for my own amusement.
3.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was 3 different data sets, all on time. So length of time until engagement, etc. I love stats but that''s just way over my head.

What are you studying, btw?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3+ ct is more common in Ca and N.Y.

midweast .50 ct

south,they say everything is bigger in Texas.

23.gif

U.S. avg e-ring size.... my guess, .75 ct

P.S. member avg e-ring size....my guess, 1.25 ct. and growing fast,cuz girls here are BAD influence

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2008 6:26:17 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
3+ ct is more common in Ca and N.Y.

midweast .50 ct

south,they say everything is bigger in Texas.

23.gif

U.S. avg e-ring size.... my guess, .75 ct

P.S. member avg e-ring size....my guess, 1.25 ct. and growing fast,cuz girls here are BAD influence

I am not a bad influence!
16.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 6:03:36 AM
Author: Addy
I think it was 3 different data sets, all on time. So length of time until engagement, etc. I love stats but that''s just way over my head.

What are you studying, btw?
Nothing math related. Special education.
1.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Wow gwen you are amazing!!! I love your new tag line by the way... I think maybe I ought to write it up on my whiteboard and use it as motivation!
36.gif

Doesn't diamondfan have a 10ct emerald cut stone?

ETA - nope, but I was close - it's 9.22ct and GORGEOUS!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 7:55:13 AM
Author: Delster
Gwendolyn - you inspire me!
9.gif
Hehehe, awesome! Dissertation-writers of PS, UNITE!!
9.gif
36.gif

By the way, if diamondfan has any diamond melee or sidestones or anything, that 10.1cts could be hers--those numbers there are all ctw.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the work, Gwen.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Very interesting topic... thanks for all the brainy stuff, Gwendolyn! I''ve often wondered about the average size on here...

NOW STOP PROCRASTINATING!!!!!!!! July 14th calls! hehe
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif
9.gif
9.gif

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all that work Gwen!! Interesting results!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you STAR!

I love statistics, and these are so interesting to see.

Nice to know I own the ''median'' coloured stone - spot on 1.42ct.
9.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Gwen, awesome job!

Perhaps u could substitute this for your disertation?

Who has a 10 ct. anything?????? WOW.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for that Gwen! That''s really cool to know the different averages!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Gwen -
This is so cool!
I love all this info - Thanks!

(I am in awe of of your math and statistic skills! if you don''t mind me asking, what is your dissertation on?)
35.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Gwen, thanks for doing this, it''s quite interesting! You little numbers crunching geekette!

I was thinking what neatfreak was thinking though...When one looks at the graph, while 2.59ct might be the median, it doesn''t look like it''s "the most common", right? Or am I misunderstanding the chart (I am not a numbers pro so I could well be reading it incorrectly!). It look like "the most popular" ct. size in in the 1.01 range, is that correct? Meaning the majority of folks have that size center stone? Sorry if it''s not obvious to me,I''m still embibing the morning java!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
This was such an interesting project, especially since I have a 1.01 solitaire. Thanks for taking this on and BTW - you and your FF are such a beautiful couple. Positively radiant!

So, do the results mean anything in the way of a decision regarding your stone?
31.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:29:49 PM
Author: surfgirl
Gwen, thanks for doing this, it''s quite interesting! You little numbers crunching geekette!
My pleasure!
respect_01.gif

I was thinking what neatfreak was thinking though...When one looks at the graph, while 2.59ct might be the median, it doesn''t look like it''s ''the most common'', right? Or am I misunderstanding the chart (I am not a numbers pro so I could well be reading it incorrectly!). It look like ''the most popular'' ct. size in in the 1.01 range, is that correct? Meaning the majority of folks have that size center stone? Sorry if it''s not obvious to me,I''m still embibing the morning java!
The ''mode'' is the most common--and although it officially was 1.01cts, 1.04 and 2.01 were also really common. Not quite as common as 1.01, but they were close. 2.59 ended up being the average, which is bigger than the 3 most common values (1.01, 1.04, and 2.01), which I think just shows that a sizable amount of the population here has stones over 1ct (which we all knew already). I do think it is interesting that those exact numbers showed up so frequently--I am guessing there are more 1.01s or 2.01s out there for sale in the world than there are of many other weights (I don''t know, just am guessing) and that that plays a role in how often a certain carat weight appeared.

You''re right, the graph isn''t displaying the average; it''s displaying the distribution, which to my eye is mostly centered between 1-2cts. This is possibly a more accurate estimate of what the average e-ring size is here, because you can see so much of the data falls between 1-2cts. The reason the average is higher than this range at 2.59cts is because the few larger (in some cases, much larger) stones throw the thing out of balance.

Did that answer you questions ok, surfgirl? I am not a math person myself, so I am not sure how well I explained it.
3.gif
Let me know if I didn''t make sense and I will try again!
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:42:08 PM
Author: pixley
This was such an interesting project, especially since I have a 1.01 solitaire. Thanks for taking this on and BTW - you and your FF are such a beautiful couple. Positively radiant!

So, do the results mean anything in the way of a decision regarding your stone?
31.gif
Thank you, sweetie!
5.gif
And absolutely, this whole project has been a set-up to show J proof that the average e-ring size is 2.59cts so clearly that''s what I should have.
27.gif

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
LOL
9.gif
Haaaahaaah! Well then, it was totally worth it!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 1:11:30 PM
Author: iluvcarats
Gwen -

This is so cool!

I love all this info - Thanks!

(I am in awe of of your math and statistic skills! if you don''t mind me asking, what is your dissertation on?)
35.gif
Of course I don''t mind! My dissertation is on a research project I did last month all about elementary teachers'' perceptions and understandings of inclusive education. I am getting my master''s in special education/special needs.
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Yes Gwen, you answered my question, thanks! You should ask Andrey to stickey this to the top of the page somewhere...

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the interesting information. That really was a labor of love!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results