shape
carat
color
clarity

resizing question

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've been here. It's almost nostalgic!

My wife wants her engagement and wedding band resized bigger due to the rings now being too tight to fit on her finger since pregnancy. Our son is already a year old and she still can't wear it. The diamond and setting is through Brian Gavin. I actually had her engagement ring resized (smaller) by 1/4 though BG due to it being too loose initially. If only we used a spacer... First resizing is free so it was a nobrainer to send it to them even though I was nervous shipping such an expensive and sentimental item.

Would you recommend having it shipped and resized through BG or do it at a local vendor?

Thank you!

Craig

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things to consider...
Is it a plain solitaire or does it have pave? Is it gold or platinum?

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1470683281|4063594 said:
Things to consider...

Half pave, platinum.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mr.ingocnito|1470684610|4063599 said:
Things to consider...

Half pave, platinum.

Unless you have a bench that you know is highly competent, I would send it back to BGD. One, it's got pave in the band that you
need to make sure stays tight and two because it is platinum. I've heard where some people have taken in platinum to have work
done and it gets repaired with gold...not good.

mr.ingocnito

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1470687360|4063606 said:
mr.ingocnito|1470684610|4063599 said:
Things to consider...

Half pave, platinum.

Unless you have a bench that you know is highly competent, I would send it back to BGD. One, it's got pave in the band that you
need to make sure stays tight and two because it is platinum. I've heard where some people have taken in platinum to have work
done and it gets repaired with gold...not good.

Thanks for the input. It's probably best that I just send it in to BGD.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Whenever possible, it's best to send a piece back to the originating bench for work (sizing, retipping, etc.), especially if it was a custom piece as they typically would have the correct metal blend for follow up work such as sizing.

Another thought, while frustrating to not be able to fit back into the same size ring post-baby, now is actually the best time to resize a ring. While the hot sticky summer weather may cause fingers to swell, and the ring will fit a bit looser in the cooler weather of fall, winter and spring, if she wants to be able to wear the ring year round, sizing the ring to the hot summer weather size will allow for a fit year round. My fingers range between 5.75 in the winter to a snug 7 at this time of the year, so I always go with a size 7. I can always use an insert guard ring or stack diamond bands in the winter, but if my ring wouldn't go on during this time of the year I'd be not too happy.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Call Leslie at BGD, she is easy to work with

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results