shape
carat
color
clarity

Rescue Mission: Rose Cuts - what should these cost?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
OMG the moment you get an email back from a jeweller.
Could you just die??!?!?
So excited.
WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@InsecureSweetGirl continuing the ring setting conversation here so as not to hijack missyminx’s thread. =)2

Is this what you mean by flat tab prongs? If so, they’d be more true to Georgian style than claw prongs:
7B7E07C8-68B5-49B1-A2DC-2F1C69AB886E.jpeg 19477DE3-7987-436A-9CA1-472B2D8DE0C7.jpeg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@JPie
That's it, exactly. The second photo. Those flat tabs would be historically accurate, but claws would show more of the diamond.
[struggling]

Oh, the debate ensues in my head...

One of my useless degrees is in Museum Studies where authenticity is a central tenet, so creating a kind of Simulacrum of the Georgian ring when there are real ones available would surely earn me a disapproving look from those in the know... whereas making an all-rose-gold ring with claws (instead of a silver-topped with prongs) would be an homage to the look without 'cheating'...
BUT...
On the other hand wouldn't claws be more likely to catch in my hair and delicate knitwear and... the silver-topped style has a kind of Oomph that's suitable for my work wardrobe so I'd wear it daily...
Ack.
So that is a circular argument because I don't actually know (feel instantly in my heart) what the ring should look like. The second photo you shared above is pretty close. But, still, Decision paralysis.

Yet as soon as I saw your pendant I felt the zing of OMG THATS IT for my little OMC. She'll surely be safe in that setting and being Georgian style and all, there'd be no need to have the stone's chipped girdle recut so.... Hallelujah it's all become so clear.

Thank you for helping me. I still don't know about the ring, but the pendant is a go!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a tough call. Well-made claw prongs shouldn’t catch on anything; my e ring has them and it’s not a problem.

Anyway, glad you have the pendant figured out!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Either will look great but just to ease your mind, I have very delicate claw prongs on a ring and they don't catch on anything.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@InsecureSweetGirl
I swear, I am not trolling the internet looking for pics you, but I'm looking around for loose rosecut for a project so once again, I saw something that I thought you'd like to see, because of the claw prongs. I'm very visual so I like to "see" what something looks like.
20181008_001415.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! I think this is what the vendor was talking about for seeing more of the stones with claws. Ah decisions, decisions.

Recently there was a beautiful oval rose cut (set east-west) ring made of brushed rose gold that showed up on PS Preloved - and possibly on LT, but after searching for it, i can't find it anymore. Its setting had claws that caused me to suddenly freeze in my tracks and try to imagine my stones set that way.... which is how I got lost. It was so beautiful. If I hadn't just bought these five small ovals, I might have bought that ring.

I only have so many fingers! Wouldn't it be great to have more hands. Would certainly make for faster household chores. lol

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
That's good info. (Naturally I'd love to see photos of those earrings just for reference. Is there a PS link?
I searched and didn't see one.)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Click to enlarge:

fullsizeoutput_11b0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_11df.jpeg studs.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
uuuhhhhhh muuuhhhhh gaaaahhhhhh

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
And now I'm more gridlocked, because the claws are perfection as both of you mentioned.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Well here’s the first CAD. I keep looking at it over and over, but I won’t feel confident until he has the stones at his shop (sending them this week) and confirms (or corrects) the measurements I took with my feeble calipers.
Anyone have an opinion on the width of bezels or whatever other details? 2A3BF932-8338-46C6-BFF4-CF47E0D21985.jpeg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
hey! Ithink the cads look good, but to me the bezel area does look a little thin if I'm correct in what your inspiration is. On the attached middle image I thickened them just a bit.
Are you doing the claw prongs? (That's my vote, but it's not my ring!) 20181015_111009.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Wow thank you for that! David had mentioned the bezels might go thicker, and I think the fact you saw that too, should tell me you’re both right. I’m undecided about the prongs still, but what are your thoughts on the split shank? I’ve seen original Georgian shanks that are split, solid, engraved, split engraved, solid engraved, omg I’m so confused,

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Also do you think it should be silver bezels with rose gold shank as I thought, or all-rose gold?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I can't help you in the shanks, I like the split shanks, but I also love and engraved shank. See, I'm no help!
I think the two tone is much more interesting, and I'm afraid you'd regret the all rose gold.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
That is good advice. I appreciate it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think silver bezels would be a nice contrast with the rose gold, and also in keeping with the historic inspiration.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
What about shanks like these? And two tone?(!) Mmm, good.
I also love these ring "butts", where there is a sculpted cup for each stone (rather than foil).
20181015_171115.png 20181015_171009.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Yummy! I had requested open backs, do you think closed backs with foil is the direction I should go? The stones are small so I wasn’t worried about seeing skin through them, and I liked the idea that they might look warmer with my pale pink skin influencing their color.
Maybe I should look for an original Georgian shank?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I think open will be beautiful, I didn't know what you were planning. I wouldn't do foil, (having to always worry about not getting it wet.) But I saw these ages ago and thought if you were closing the back these are true to Georgian and could have the effect foil does, without the foil.
I was looking in IG under Georgian just to see some shanks. Might give you some ideas. I just know when you have a ring on those shanks are visible to you all the time. Should be something you like looking at.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Excellent point, and I’d love to see what you find! I’m not very savvy on IG so thanks for anything you can find!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What CHRISTY-DANIELLE said - foil can’t get wet. If you like the look, you can ask DK for options; he might be able to choose a metal back with a similar look that won’t oxidize.

I can’t wait to see how this turns out! Totally living vicariously. :kiss2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I can’t wait to see how this turns out! Totally living vicariously. :kiss2:
Thanks so much! I never thought I’d have so much hesitation on this, so terrified to make a mistake and waste other people’s time. So far I think we all like the two-tone look, though, so that’s something. :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results