shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting opinions on custom setting

triumph

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have now been searching for the perfect engagement ring (for my hopefully soon to be fiance) setting for so long, it's sending me cross eyed. I've spent months looking through hundreds of pages of posts, scouring websites looking for something to stand out and and say 'Hey, this is what your looking for'. To me, it seems that choosing the right setting is more difficult than finding the stone to put in it.
Anyway, two parts of two diffrent settings have really caught my eye, and I've have been thinking of creating a custom setting incorporating both of them into the one super ring. I've now stopped for the moment to let the idea/style sink in, and am starting to question how it might look. I think that the result may be a bit of a mismatch.
This is where I'm hoping that the power and wisdom of everyone here will be able to help me out with your opinions.
Before I explain the two parts I should probably also mention that I picture a 1.1 - 1.3ct Princess(have my eye on a couple of solasfera cuts on GoG) going in there as the centre stone.

So what are these two parts, you say?
Well, I'm glad you asked. :)

The first component I really like are the double claw prongs and a basket like on 'zavy's ring in this post.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-double-claw-prongs-solitaire.120039/page-3.
Hmm, I've just had another thought. Would a solasfera princess cut be okay in a double claw prong setting?

The second component is a channel set, bow tie(looks sort of like that from the top down view) like ring like the one in this post from 'Greg G':https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yay-i-did-it-come-check-out-my-ring.5208/. This is a great ring all round I think. I just thought it would be really cool to add the double claw prongs onto it.

So, do you think a ing with these two components would turn out to be a bit of a mish mash or am I just thinking too much about it?

Any opinions and or suggestions welcome.

Thanks for reading :)

attachment1.jpg

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the idea of the double prongs, I think the normal corner prong that are used are very harsh looking. I have a radiant set with double or split prongs and LOVE it.

Good luck can not wait to see finished product
:bigsmile:

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I have a princess cut in a double claw knife edge setting, so it is a slim fishtail silhouette. I think it is very pretty and elegant, as I imagine your ring to be as well!

triumph

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragment and feedback, it's helps to know that there are others out there that ave similar styles and taste.
This really is a brilliant site. I have pages and pages of notes from useful posts picked out here and there. One of the hardest things seems to be keeping all the good ideas in the one place and not forgetting them all!
I think i'll contact the folks at goodoldgold and see if they give me their two cents on the matter. I'm still not sure if a solasfera will be alright/safe to set in a double claw setting, but I guess that depends more other properties of the stone, like the girdle thickeness etc.
Will let you know what I find out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results