shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting Mara and others please..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Mara and Dear PS Friends

Out of curiousity....

I've read some of your earlier posts from back last year when you first joined PS, I think you had wanted higher color and clarity.

But I wante to know, if now you can choose a 2c or 3c, what is the lowest color you will go with? Also clarity?

But keep in mind, even the best cut stones, even in "certain" lighting, it will still show yellow, and sometimes look very yellow. However, most lighting and halogen light face up white.

Because my Hunnie might get me another engagement ring sometime in the future. Beucase this one that I got from him, I've been wearing it for the past 2 years.. and no one knows that's what it is. So, maybe when we do the actual engagement with family and friends, I will get a new stone. But I need some other people's opinion..

If I had $20,000 to spend.. (or you guys can choose any 2 kind of stone you'd like to compare.. but the size I'd like would be either 2 or 3.... and with a budget of around $20,000

should I get: 3.00c I SI-2

or: 2.00c E SI-2

and would the yellow color in some lighting conditions bother you?

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wavey.gif
I would try to be as close to 3 carats as possible ie 2.70-2.90 without going over my budget,would not go below G.I.A H color if I was mounting it in white metal,and with a better quality such as VS2. SI2'S are in many cases on the border of not being an eyeclean type of stone.

just my 2 cents.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with the 3 carat I-Si2.

But that's just me, Leota.

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more vote:

With a large diamond already in the bank I'd go for a top smaller stone, even smaller than 2c.

Otherwise, there is no lowest color for me
2.gif
as you might have read elsewhere already. These two statements are not contradictory: I simply prefer to match the color of the stone with it's shape and ring design, so I would not choose a diamond based on color only but the design of the piece I want to end up with.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would get a 3ct I/SI 2. Or a 2.50 H/SI 1.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Eeewwww, Leota! Toughy! It would really depend on the diamonds. We've seen some really nice SI2's and I1's lately. And, we've seen some nice, larger carat weight I color diamonds too. There's even a pic of a great J color diamond in the Show Me the Ring forum.

I vote,..... It depends on the diamond available at the time! HeeHee
9.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting...I would choose G or better color (since color is more apparent in a larger stone) and better than SI1 in clarity (wait, don't shoot), but this would be dependent on two things. First, if you like to check out the diamond in jewelry stores against other stones, some of the lighting can highlight the little 'specs' that sometimes are quite prevalent (but normally not eye visible) in SI1 stones, making it look dusty. Second, if your setting will show a lot of the side of the pavilion, you will usually see specs and other imperfections fairly easily from the side. Now these two points don't count if you just don't look that closely or don't care, or will choose a setting that covers part of the pavilion from the side view. I am only going by my experience and personal biases.
10.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im fine with I in the 1-1.5ct range but in a 3ct I think Id want to move up to atleast H.
As far as clarity goes the rating doesnt matter to me as long as it is eyeclean.

I havent really looked at the larger diamonds in person that closely other than long enough to say wow nice but id never spend that kind of money on a diamond...

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first started looking, I really wanted at least an F VS1 clarity or better diamond. I wound up purchasing a 1.51 F VVS2 ACA from Whiteflash. AT the time, I had the option of getting an H VS2 2.08 for about $2300 more, but didn't really want to go down that much in color, so I stuck with the F.
In June, I decided to trade in the 1.51 for a 2 carat and got a G VS1. I chose it over an FVS1, because I liked the clarity plot on the G diamond better. I was really afraid to get a G color though.
I had my mind set that if I noticed even a trace of color, I would exchange it for the 2 ct. F color.
I am so happy that I decided to go with the G. I truly love this diamond and can't imagine getting another diamond in it's place.
So, to answer your question, I would not go below a G VS2 diamond, but that's just me.
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Leota, I'm so confused! What have you been wearing for 2 years? Are you already engaged or not? I can't keep up with your rings and jewels!

And as for your two choices, could you compromise with a 2.5c G or H color? "I" makes me nervous but "E" is overkill, IMO.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leota
1.gif

Yes I think like most customers...alot of us came here seeking something we didn't really understand--then got educated!
1.gif
So many people on here say that they came here looking for something like E VVS and then ended up learning what really made the diamond sparkle was not the color and clarity. Compromised for something like G VS and was happy.

Anyway, if I had $20k...I personally would get as big as I could but not go beneath an H color and SI clarity. You could probably find an SI1 eye-clean stone in 2.5c size or similar...but you may have to be patient, in that size the inclusions may sometimes be more visible. H color because to be really honest, some of the I stones I have seen posted recently in terms of pictures have too much body color for my taste. If you work with a vendor who has the stone in-house, they can eye-ball it for you...there ARE high and low I's and H's....you may be able to find a high I and have it look pretty much like an H! Also, the H stones I have seen look pretty darn white to me! So for me that is my mental cutoff for a *permanent purchase*. I say this also because you said you get sentimentally attached to your stones and jewelry, so chances are you would not want to upgrade later. So if this is a one time shot...go with slightly better color and SI clarity, find eye-clean and stay with a top-notch cut. You should get a stunner by doing that!
1.gif

Since you saw your mom's ring obviously, you feel there was a bit of body color visible in that size? I would actually agree. If you found an I stone with med or strong fluor, that would actually help it alot...maybe more like an H in color. F&I has a 3c I with med blue and she loves it. But without fluor? No I for me.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Personally.......I'd split the different and get a 2.5 ct, H stone and get the lowest clarity possible without sacrificing eye-clean. In my size, 1.24, the SI2 is fine.....(plus my stone is a really, really clean SI2), but in a larger stone, you may find that eye-clean means VS2 or SI1. It doesn't really matter what the paper says, as long as it's eyeclean to the eye.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Leota, it sounds like others know what size you have now, but I don't. What you have now could make a difference in how I answer.

Personally, I'd choose the 2 carat, but then I think a 1.5 is large on my hand.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for really thinking through and answering this question for me. It seems like everything thinks I should go down the middle with maybe a G or H color and as long as it's eye clean, and end up with a stone between a 2 and 3 carat. I think that is a good idea.

Patty, yes, between bf and I, we are engaged since 2 years ago when he gave me my 2.75 HOF. But in the near future we will be announcing the engagement to friends and family, he was thinking he'll get me a new ring since I've been wearing the HOF already for the past 2 years as a Just Because gift. Since once you get engaged everyone wants to see THE RING, and when they lift my hand they'll see the same ring since 2 years ago. haha.. so .. he said maybe a new ring... I don't mind
11.gif

Thank you Mara for your post also.. you gave some really good advice...I think I will strongly consider getting a G color and maybe vs2.. Also we'll start looking earlier since sometimes you have to wait to come across a good one.

Hey Hest!!~~ I have a 1c F vvs1 or is it 2.. can't remember.. a 1c D Si-1, and another D Si-1 that's .79c, And a 2.75 G vs2.

Thanks again everyone for the advice... it's really helping me make my decision.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leota, what are you doing with your 1c stones? and the .79? Hadn't heard of these before!!
2.gif

As for new engagement ring...how could you be engaged for 2 years but no one knew? I'm confused!

What happened to 'priorities' with a new house and no more diamonds? You bad girl!!
2.gif
Hehee.

What about trading in your HOF for a new stone? Or re-setting the existing stone into a new setting, thought you were doing that already...per your other post about the new setting?

Confused again!?!
confused.gif
Clear it up for me?

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Okay, here's the plan.... we want to get married in about 1 to 1 1/2 years.. so that means it's about time to announce the engagement. We do want to save money for a house... so most likely get married 1 1/2 years later. We have a big part of the money saved up and the ring is only if sales are good and is *extra* money on top of the money were already saving for the house and the more important stuff.

I am getting a new setting.... because he saw me liking it so much. But would I just tell people that's a completely new ring? That could be a good idea. Or should I just say we decided to save money so we're only changing the setting.

We've been engaged between just the both of us only becasue at the time we knew we weren't goign to actually get married till 26-27. So I didnt' see the point to announce it and make my parents worry that at 20 I might be married any day now. So we kept it between us till it's about time with 1 or 1 1/2 years time left to plan.

sigh~~ I'm so tempted to just a new ring though... But yes, I'm really going to give it some thought.

Well, my .79 D Si-1 is the heart shaped one that tomatoe just posted a pic for in the e-ring folder towards the last page. And the 1c vvs1 is for sale in DT classifieds... But I think the price is too high.. haha... no one is asking about it.. That one was waaaaay before I found PS. soooo.....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about the 1c D SI? What is that set into?

Hmm tough dilemma. Personally, because I know the HOF stone was REALLY expensive, I would just use that same stone...I mean you are talking at least $35-40k here on that stone in terms of markup and cost. So to add another $20k into the mix when you guys are trying to save for the house...I don't know...seems foolish? Esp since you already have a huge rock! What is the difference between using that one, the original one anyway, and a new one...people have NO IDEA what diamonds look like in terms of different stones..they just will know it looks bigger or smaller.

My two cents is save the $20k that you aren't sure about yet, get the new setting like you planned...and announce that you have been engaged over the last few years but wanted a refresh of the setting to officiate the engagement to the public. Personally, I don't see why it matters to do something 'different' just to tell people...if you have been engaged and wearing the ring...just switching out the setting should be more than fine. Esp since it was your original stone.
1.gif
That's what I'd do anyway. If the money didn't matter and you didn't have other priorities, sure spend another $20k.
2.gif
We'd all love to. But in reality...make sure it's for the right reasons!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an old saying where I came from that "once people are given two choices they are always going to choose a third", isn't it? The problem here, if any, would be that you already have this third option (2.75 G-VS)!

Here's one more:
Leota, maybe you would want a diamond 'different' from what you alreday have: in shape or color (color not 'tint') for example? Why get two 2++cts diamonds with the same appearence in two different settings unless those are earrings? I would surely trade the whole plan up for a 5cts stone, but since this will most likely not produce a good deal for you, how about making a 5cts ring anyway?

Also, some PS thread stand testimony for what one would do with 3/4 of a ring (i.e two stones of different sizes or such)--the answer seems to lean towards: 'get the missing 1/4'. I guess in your case this strategy would lead to getting a new setting and two sides worthy of that ~3 cts of yours. I know you have small fingers, but so do I and I wouldn't mind it at all. A pairs of 1ct stones with cut, color and clarity to match the HOF's and a top name for the maker would probably approximate the value you want to add to your jewelry box, I guess...

Spending 20k on jewelry will always make sense to me house or no house, but getting a replica of somethign I've already got is not likely to happen.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
okay, Mara,... what you're saying makes sense. And I guess I, we really don't need to be spending that kinda money.. I was getting carried away. Again.
nono.gif

And you're right... I will just change the setting and either tell them the new setting is to make this engagement official or just tell them it's a new ring.

And save our $$. You're .02 just saved us $20,000 you know that?
2.gif

I guess I needed to hear this from all you guys. Thanks. Really. It does seem foolish huh? I get get diamond happy sometimes.. and I always seem to forget that it's wasteful for right now. Maybe later on a few years later would be good. But I know somewhere along the way I'll forget and start *looking* again. Then I'll need you guys to give me some advice again.

Well the 1c D is one I purchased myself a couple of years ago for an end of the year gift to myself. I usually get myself something at the end of the year if I do well with work. And that is set real low with a some tapered baguettes on the side and I wear it as a right hand ring on my middle finger. I keep that one in the safe along with some other stuff.. since I don't feel safe with everything at home. My parents just had their house broken into not too long ago. I'd be devestated if I lost all my sentimental jewlery in something like this.. even if they were insured.

SO,.. okay... no looking.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Leota, I think that stone you've got up for sale would make a smart looking pendant. The other stones could be used for a band? Just a thought.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I'm old fashioned. And it took me til age 40 and nearly 13 yrs. of marriage to get my 1ct center stone in its set. (We got the house and the kids first.) I'd say save that $20k for your home. Now unless money were not an object, and for most folks that's not the case, then I can see otherwise. To me, tho, it's kind of wasteful since you already have the 2.75 HOF. Just my practical 2 cents.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
K-mom,

Yeah, I think I'm going to take the advice on just not buying a new diamond. And the other 1c... I'm so in love with the H&As that I'm not very interested in those anymore... So hopefully I can sell it and just put it into our savings. I don't really mind being without that one. But I might need to adjust the $$$.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Leota,

I am wondering what your friends and family thought about you sporting a 2.75 carat diamond ring? That is a sizeable diamond for "just because".

A new setting always spruces up the look of the diamond, and I don't think anyone would think it was bad of you to use the same beautiful diamond, especially it being as big as it is.

If I am understanding correctly, you have been really excited about this new setting. Wait until you see it put together, I bet you'll fall in love again, kind of like having a whole new ring!
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Leota, thanks for clarifying everything for us! I agree with the others here that buying another 2-3 carat diamond would be silly and a waste of money since you already have a gorgeous stone that size. I like the idea of having it reset as your "official" engagement ring. I like the sentimental idea of it being your original engagement diamond but a new setting for the official announced engagement.

And I've been eyeing your 1 carat ring over at DT...I LOVE the setting!

Please tell us again what kind of new setting you are considering for the HOF diamond? And I'd love to see a pic of your other 1 carat diamond that you wear on your right hand. Thanks!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

And I've been eyeing your 1 carat ring over at DT...I LOVE the setting!

Please tell us again what kind of new setting you are considering for the HOF diamond? And I'd love to see a pic of your other 1 carat diamond that you wear on your right hand. Thanks!----------------

Where is the one carat photo at DT?

Thanks,
Michelle

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Leota-

Patty said what I was thinking...it's the sentimental value of your original stone that would make me want to use it instead of a whole new diamond. At some point, I would love a 3 carat stone, but I can't bear to think of upgrading or trading in the one my fiance gave me. It is a nice size, don't get me wrong. I just think about him thinking of me, going back and forth to NY to look at it, how he paid attention to the things that I like, it is just priceless (meaning his efforts as well as the ring). I think you are making a wise decision to use the actual proposal stone. I mean, unless you're related to Liz Taylor or Zsa Zsa Gabor, how many times do us non-hollywood types get engaged?
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Michelle, the one carat ring is listed in the Jewelry Classified Ads at DT. It's a really pretty setting with princess stones channel set in the band.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/19/2004 12:18:06 PM Patty wrote:

Michelle, the one carat ring is listed in the Jewelry Classified Ads at DT. It's a really pretty setting with princess stones channel set in the band.----------------

It is VERY pretty
love.gif

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leota...I think that's a smart decision!! Trust me, I know about wanting to get new baubles...thank god my fiance is a smart money man and reins me in (well it's thank god for finances...but not for my jewelry chest!).
2.gif
I think your HOF will be amazing when set into the new setting and would mean more as well.
1.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys for confirming this decision is the right thing to do. Having girlfriends around make such a difference!

Patty, The new setting is a custom made piece tho very similar to a lot of designs out there I'm sure. It's set in platinum, basically a 3 stone ring. But instead of the 2 side stone being proportional to the center (example, center 2.75 and each side being .75-1.0c) I have 2 ACA of .40 each. And the center is set much higher up instead of all 3 stones being level to each other. That way the .40s look like decoration stone instead of being on the same level as the center. And then there's three .03 down each side. So, I guess with the center and the setting .. the total weight of the ring will be 3.73c. Jewler says it will be done by middle of next week. I've very very excited. And I will post pics right away!

And thanks, Mara
rodent.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results