shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting comments on this ring.

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
I bought this at a handmade jewelry store for GF of 4 years.

I was really happy with the purchase but after spending so much time starring at it, I'm worried she won't like it because the corners with the prongs are a little off (not evenly spaced). You can see it in the pic but it's a little more obvious when looking from the top, closely.

I assume that handmade will never be perfect so I'm not sure if I'm stressing just because I keep trying to find issues with it... Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXkrd

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewGuy1238902|1482416959|4108970 said:
I bought this at a handmade jewelry store for GF of 4 years.

I was really happy with the purchase but after spending so much time starring at it, I'm worried she won't like it because the corners with the prongs are a little off (not evenly spaced). You can see it in the pic but it's a little more obvious when looking from the top, closely.

I assume that handmade will never be perfect so I'm not sure if I'm stressing just because I keep trying to find issues with it... Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/gallery/qXkrd

Can you provide a top down picture of the ring so we can tell what you're talking about. Prongs can be adjusted but check with
the jeweler who made it to make sure they can do the adjustment (without screwing it up).

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I'm working late today and can't take the picture. I'll do that as soon as I get home.

In the meantime, if you look at the picture uploaded, you can see it on the bottom left prong. On the base, there is a gap

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the pave work, looks like the diamonds aren't spaced correctly, or a diamond is missing - there really shouldn't be a space, I think I would talk to the jeweler about it. How does the opposite side look?

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
So each side of the diamond has 2 small stones, with the halo outside of that. The bottom row, which you see in the picture has the gap on the bottom left. The top row (not pictured) has a small gap on the right corner.

The left and right of the diamond are pretty good, maybe a TINY bit off.

rocketlegs

Rough_Rock
Do you have a photo straight down of the top of the ring?

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
I was able to go to the jeweler and he informed me that the inner halo (2 diamonds between prongs) can't have any structure changes (or additional diamonds) because it would weaken the prongs.

However, he said he felt the polish was too much in 2 corners which gave it a bad mirror effect of making the corner look much darker. So they tweaked that and I feel it looks better and less off.

Lastly, he said that if I would like, he can order some very tiny diamonds to put into the corners which should make the corners more sparkly and also stand out a little less.

I took 2 pictures after getting back. Both pictures are in the case, same spot with the same lighting. The difference is that I flipped the ring 180 degrees in the case.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IKPM3

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spacing looks terrible

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
:(

They don't do returns (my stupidity there) but they allow exchanges... I think I'll try to exchange this for a round center diamond in equal value of the full ring. Then take that to different jeweler for a setting. It will cost more then I originally expected but I at least want the ring to be nice.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a good idea. That setting does not look good.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewGuy1238902|1482497852|4109157 said:
:(

They don't do returns (my stupidity there) but they allow exchanges... I think I'll try to exchange this for a round center diamond in equal value of the full ring. Then take that to different jeweler for a setting. It will cost more then I originally expected but I at least want the ring to be nice.

I think that's the best option at this point (unfortunately). The setting is just really poorly made, and will likely always be a source of frustration for you. It just sounds like this jeweler lacks the experience to execute a really well made halo.

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
The jeweler was able to work with me and was able to give me a new setting that I am pretty pleased with.

New Setting:
http://imgur.com/DCHTSbf

The old setting was originally housing a princess cut, which is why I might not have noticed the spacing originally. The jeweler said the princess shape keeps to the corners better, which is why he put the inner halo diamonds closer to the prongs left side (which leaves a space on the right side of the prong), his way of keeping the prongs strong.

For the new setting, it's meant for a round diamond, so he makes the halo/prongs differently.

Edit: The above is at least what he claims, eitherway, I do feel good about the new setting. I think my GF will be happy with this one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewGuy1238902|1482600792|4109398 said:
The jeweler was able to work with me and was able to give me a new setting that I am pretty pleased with.

New Setting:
http://imgur.com/DCHTSbf

The old setting was originally housing a princess cut, which is why I might not have noticed the spacing originally. The jeweler said the princess shape keeps to the corners better, which is why he put the inner halo diamonds closer to the prongs left side (which leaves a space on the right side of the prong), his way of keeping the prongs strong.

For the new setting, it's meant for a round diamond, so he makes the halo/prongs differently.

Edit: The above is at least what he claims, eitherway, I do feel good about the new setting. I think my GF will be happy with this one.

I'm glad he worked with you--this setting is significantly better and more in proportion with the stone!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new setting...the stone looks perfect in it! Good choice/decision! Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your
GF!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second setting looks much better. I'm glad you and the jeweler were able to work out a good solution. I hope your girlfriend loves it. Good luck with the proposal!

NewGuy1238902

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their feedback, it was very helpful and much appreciated.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
NewGuy1238902 said:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their feedback, it was very helpful and much appreciated.

Did she get the ring yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results