shape
carat
color
clarity

Replacing umbalite garnet in halo ring with this sapphire

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Replacing umbalite garnet in halo ring with this sapphir

I was going to leave this till the morning too but since I'm up...

Check Gemfix
1060 - $595 – 6mm
1023 - $495 - 5.9mm
1058 - $595 – 5.8mm

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Starzin, I am such a newbie. How do I find those numbers at the beginning? I can't find a search function.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those numbers are GemFix's inventory number for each gemstone. You will see them under the descriptor (order/stock number) on his Blue Sapphire page.
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

ETA
IK and I cross-posted.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous, gorgeous suggestions. Cutting totally does matter, I see that now! :oops: I am so grateful for all the input. I love 0.85 blue violet gemfix one but it seems small for this setting at 5.8mm. Dana will be cutting some and sending pics in a couple weeks. They will have a slightly flattened girdle too for bezelling.

I could also use this 6mm demantoid which I never wear because of the setting. I think blue/green might look better with rose gold than this green, and I know this stone could easily be chipped. Here are pics anyway. Sorry for the handshots, I was in the middle of repotting (without the rings of course).

20140107_111912.jpg

20140107_111411.jpg

20140107_111748.jpg

20140107_111939.jpg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock

As a comment, If Dana says he's going to take "a few weeks" to cut a stone. Double that time. Incredibly nice guy but just wanted to help you set your expectations.

I'm still waiting for a lavender spinel from him for a year ago but I think it won't happen.... :( Oh well. Such is life.

sapphiresal

Rough_Rock

Oh dear - I am sorry I led you astray with the denim stone :(sad Details, must remember to focus on details!

I think your demantoid is very pretty, and I know some others favour the demantoid/ rose gold combo, but I agree with your thought - I would prefer a bluer stone in that lovely setting. Also, Innerkitten was right about Blaze - he's very nice to deal with and has some really lovely stuff... the only downside is you will always need to get more photos from him. Another plus though- I just saw that his whole site is on sale! I didn't see a notice about it, only that everything is marked down - looks like 25% off :naughty:

Also, Dana is lovely but I think Royal is right - for custom and/ or specific requests, my experience is that timeframes are... fluid. If he has it in stock though, he ships very quickly.

I hope you find something amazing soon - I am really taken with your setting!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We decided to go with this one from Gemfix. I do not mind the inclusions and love the colour. We photoshopped it into the ring. I know it will probably look darker than the photoshopped images but I just love this stone and I love dark blue sapphires in general. I will post pics when it arrives! :twirl: I am going to call it my Starry Night ring.

No worries SapphireSal! I really had fun shopping around for this and learned a lot! I loved looking at the Montana Sapphires too. Maybe one day for something else.

sapphire_blue_1139_a.jpg

sapphire_blue_1139.jpg

20140103_101352ringsapphirelighter.jpg

20140103_101352ringsapphire.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Good choice! I was looking for gems under $600 so didn't include this but you found it that's the main thing :))

So are you selling the ring as is to fund another one from scratch and save the stone that's in it or still destroying the one currently in the ring?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Starzin! I was just going to add that - it was a $300 jump in price but it was worth it because of the colour difference, and husband had said something like "But you like dark blue sapphires!" He helped a lot to buy it or there is no way I could have on my own right now.

The umbalite will be broken to put this in. It has a large scratch in it I noticed recently, so I don't feel so bad. I believe that stone is under $100 in value.
Thanks for all the help everyone pointing me in the right direction! It really, really helped!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

In that case we look forward to seeing your new beauty when set :))

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks! It is number 1139 ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to your comments on the Gemfix sapphire when it arrives.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Very pretty color. Can't wait to see your photos when you get it :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock

This is a much better choice than the original sapphire IMO - I'm so glad you're getting this one.

I once had a somewhat similar situation to yours - I had a somewhat pricey tourmaline, bezel set in a setting that I really liked - but I didn't love the gem itself as time went on. I wanted to reuse the setting but felt bad about having to destroy the gem, so I just ended up selling the ring. Looking back I REALLY wish that I'd have destroyed the gem and reused the setting!! I ended up selling the ring at a huge loss, and I think it would've been much smarter to just "kill" the tourmaline that was in there and reuse the setting - I wish I'd done what you are doing.

Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Vendor pics from Yvonne! I love it I love it I love it! It is like a deep watery pool or a portal in a starry sky. It There was not enough metal to be folded under on the inside of the bezel since the bezel was made for another stone, but she has taken it since thee pictures were taken into someone to tweak it. I don't care if it isn't perfect, I am just so happy that this stone is in this setting! I will post real life pics this week when it arrives unless I am good and wait till Valentine's Day! :saint: :Up_to_something:

icm_34.jpg

icm_35.jpg

icm_36.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results