shape
carat
color
clarity

Replacing umbalite garnet in halo ring with this sapphire

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this would be great. The first pic shows the sapphire in a casting of my ring to show that it fits. The vendour says that the window should close up once set. I know it is not a top quality sapphire, but the colour will look good with the rose gold I think. It is 6.1mm round, heated, and from Sri Lanka. It was around $550 and is on hold. The lighting is only from a camera flash. I will post more pics when I get them. Thanks! :)

sapphirefit.jpg

20140103_101257.jpg

20140103_101352.jpg

roundsapphirebig.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Replacing umbalite garnet in halo ring with this sapphir

OP - it very well could just be the angle of the pics, but is the table on the sapphire off-center? It seems like the culet is centered but the table seems a bit off. I do think it looks to be quite a pretty shade of blue that will be enhanced by a bezel.

Also, I have always understood that a stone can only be removed from a bezel setting by either destroying the bezel or the stone... your jeweler, particularly if he made the original ring, of course is the best authority on this.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Mary. Yvonne Raley made the original ring and plans to break the umbalite to put the sapphire in
Yes, the cut is wonky! The off centerdness does not bother me. My main concerns are the window and the colour - deeper blue would be better for me but I think I will like this too.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Just someone looking at this thread who has sapphire for my birthstone........but, I have to say that garnet and the gold look like a match made in heaven. If it were mine, I wouldn't pull the garnet..........

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The garnet has a really sooty colour in mixed lighting so I don't wear it often, sadly. I think this sapphire would be great or a montana sapphire.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I understand you don't love the umbalite but my heart breaks a little at its impending doom. :blackeye: Can you have Yvonne photograph the bezeled sapphire without flash lighting? It distorts the colour and I don't know how dark it really is in the setting.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know! :( I feel cruel having it done. Someone had to work to facet that umbalite and dig it out of the ground. The only other option is to sell the ring as it is but I do like the setting a lot. I will get more pics and post them as soon as I get them.

Bex

Shiny_Rock

What if you sold the ring with the garnet for the price of the setting? Since you'd be breaking the garnet anyways, that's a wash, and then you can use to proceeds to have the same setting made for the sapphire. With the bonus that the setting would fit the sapphire perfectly this way!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is hard to sell jewelry used and make up even the price of the setting back, I find. I should post a pic of the umbalite in bad lighting.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are more pics. Yvonne thinks the window will close up completely. What do you think? I like the colour and sparkle.

icm_23.jpg

icm_24.jpg

icm_26.jpg

icm_27.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you okay with the eye visible inclusions (on the right side in all the pictures)?

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I didn't really notice them before, but no, they don't bother me. The window does bother me though. I usually like a more saturated, deeper blue with a hint of violet. This is different but I think I will like it. A sparkly well cut blue green montana sapphire would look great too but at 6.1 mm they seem to be much more. I think I will love this one if the window closes up and the blue deepens upon setting.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here are more pics. It looks a lot better in the setting I think. The table is off centre, clearly, but I think I like it overall for the price.

sapphireinbezel.jpg

sapphireinbezel2.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I agree that it looks better in the bezel.

After all my time on PS, I never understood that bezeling meant you have to destroy the bezel or the stone. No bezeling for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'd buy anything I "like overall for the price".

I'd save my money for something I loved.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good point. The thing is, I think I do love it for the colour and clarity and the fact that it is round and fits. I really love sapphires and this would be my first set sapphire in a ring - the cushion is still unset. I am open to suggestions of Montana Sapphires that are a deep blue green or other Ceylon blues or blue/purples. I have been looking but they are pricey at 6.1/6.2mm.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

ilovegemstones|1388763536|3585505 said:
Thoughts on this would be great. The first pic shows the sapphire in a casting of my ring to show that it fits. The vendour says that the window should close up once set. I know it is not a top quality sapphire, but the colour will look good with the rose gold I think. It is 6.1mm round, heated, and from Sri Lanka. It was around $550 and is on hold. The lighting is only from a camera flash. I will post more pics when I get them. Thanks! :)

It is a pretty color I agree but there are some issues with the cut. If you do get it and use it of course it will look pretty once set. But I do think if you're patient you'll find something else perfect. And as for Montana sapphires you can get a nice one for that price, even less sometimes. But on Etsy they seem to be very expensive. I bought one from an Ebay seller. Dana from Mastercut Gems gets them. Another site to check out is Blazengems.

sapphiresal

Rough_Rock

Hi there,

I was just roaming a few gem sites before I stumbled across your thread - how about these two from Dana?

This one is 6.55mm denim blue montana, heat only but with slight cloud (not sure if it is visible in this pic).

or this - 6.6mm blue green, heat only.

6_carat_blue_montana.jpg

6_carat_montana.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Let it go and we'll find you a pretty one - one that steals your heart and isn't wonky ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The other posters are right; if you don't have a deadline, I would keep looking. You'd be amazed what a decent cut can do for a coloured stone.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you so much, all of you. I have put the 6.55 on hold. I love it! Thanks Sapphiresal. I hope it fits! She usually uses 6.2 diameter stones.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Hang on - did you read that Dana doesn't recommend a full bezel on this stone? Did you ask him about that?

Pleased your letting the other one go though, you can definitely do better :))

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I think it is too small. 6.2 mm is ideal and she did mention something about if a stone is deep enough it will work if the diameter is smaller.

I find the two pictures very different for the denim sapphire. The handshot looks so bright and the other shots make it look darker. I am going to as Dana about it and am just waiting to get a hold of him.

I love my cc garnet in a bezel by Yvonne Raley (thanks Katharath!) which is also a dark stone that some would think is too dark for bezeling.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Run the SS sapphire by her anyway, just to cross your boxes. As for the denim Montana, I'm guessing once bezeled, it will look darker, probably just a tad darker than the other picture. The bright looking hand shot is the very best it will look, meaning when it is open and in an ideal light situation, which doesn't happen all too often.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

I think he may have some more stones coming soon.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the tips, Innerkitten. I have been searching on that site today and find it hard to tell the colour of the stones too. I have called and am getting more pics! :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

ilovegemstones|1389110513|3588206 said:
Thanks for the tips, Innerkitten. I have been searching on that site today and find it hard to tell the colour of the stones too. I have called and am getting more pics! :)

I know. They need better photos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results