shape
carat
color
clarity

Rehab? Use? Scrap?

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Would love some feedback before I proceed any further with this long, slow project.
I have two old-cut stones right now -- they are really well matched in color (very slightly warm, no weird tint to either):
20200925_172845a.jpg
But I think you can see the problem: the larger one (0.61 carat) has a bite taken out of it.
The bite runs under the stone into the pavilion:
chipset01.jpg
and does reflect a bit on the other side of the stone when in face-up view, even though the other side of the pavilion is clean:
chipset02.jpg
Yes, it could be covered by a prong -- but when I first got the ring with the stone in it (chip covered by a prong), I saw a phenomenon across the table that looked like oil ripples. When I took the stone out of the setting, this phenomenon disappeared. This makes me think that the prong was putting stress on the bite which was stressing the stone as a whole?

So this is my dilemma:
1) rehab the stone (expensive, loss of weight)?
2) use it anyway and hope the stone doesn't break when it's re-set?
3) scrap it entirely or use it in something less important like a single stud?

Thanks, all!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I'd have the stone assessed for durability but even if it's OK, I'd consider putting it in a semi or full bezel. I think you'd lose a lot of weight getting it recut.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Following, because I have a stone like this and would love to see what you do.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The ripple you see is likely a reflection of the chip on the opposite side. If you just cleaned up the chip, the diamond would be lopsided. If you make it round, you'd lose a significant amount in the diameter. I'd get a quote and start from there. It may not be worth the additional cost.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My darling mother has managed to “destroy” two diamonds. The first incident resulted in, my idea, a bezel set diamond pendant which my sister now has. Incident no 2 was more severe and Mum broke her hand as well (falling down garden stairs and smashing her hand and ring on the sandstone wall). Her circa 2 carat diamond had a serious chunk taken out. She bought another diamond and was literally going to throw the chipped one out. I put it into a setting I got cheaply at auction. It’s obviously chipped, it’s not beautiful but I love it and wear CFA89FF2-10E2-450C-94D2-CACD3CC9B76C.jpeg CFA89FF2-10E2-450C-94D2-CACD3CC9B76C.jpeg because someone should.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My darling mother has managed to “destroy” two diamonds. The first incident resulted in, my idea, a bezel set diamond pendant which my sister now has. Incident no 2 was more severe and Mum broke her hand as well (falling down garden stairs and smashing her hand and ring on the sandstone wall). Her circa 2 carat diamond had a serious chunk taken out. She bought another diamond and was literally going to throw the chipped one out. I put it into a setting I got cheaply at auction. It’s obviously chipped, it’s not beautiful but I love it and wear CFA89FF2-10E2-450C-94D2-CACD3CC9B76C.jpeg CFA89FF2-10E2-450C-94D2-CACD3CC9B76C.jpeg because someone should.

The diamonds of your family are very lucky to have you
beautuful rehab job

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
I'd have the stone assessed for durability but even if it's OK, I'd consider putting it in a semi or full bezel. I think you'd lose a lot of weight getting it recut.

I was thinking about using it in a sort of semi-bezel type situation if it's durable enough. Either tab prongs or fishtail prongs big enough to cover the whole chip. Rough example below (why, yes, my grandfather was an engineering draftsman in the 20s and 30s...how did you know? )
20201001_090133.jpg

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock

This is lovely! What a wonderful way to honor your mom....and I'm glad she wasn't more seriously hurt!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is a stone you cherish and especially if you want to set it in a ring, I would personally rehab it. My original vintage engagement ring came with a chipped stone, similar to yours. It didn’t look very attractive and all I was able to see was the damage. It was a small stone at about 0.8ct and after the recut it ended up as just under 0.7ct. The recut at the time cost me $350 and I decided to grade the stone, which was another $200 or so (you don’t have to do that). To me, the process was worth every penny.

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
If it is a stone you cherish and especially if you want to set it in a ring, I would personally rehab it. My original vintage engagement ring came with a chipped stone, similar to yours. It didn’t look very attractive and all I was able to see was the damage. It was a small stone at about 0.8ct and after the recut it ended up as just under 0.7ct. The recut at the time cost me $350 and I decided to grade the stone, which was another $200 or so (you don’t have to do that). To me, the process was worth every penny.

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: Thank you for this feedback. I do like the stone a lot, and have much to consider. Very slowly, I'm putting together a 3 stone ring, so I do want the stones to be stable and durable.

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about using it in a sort of semi-bezel type situation if it's durable enough. Either tab prongs or fishtail prongs big enough to cover the whole chip. Rough example below (why, yes, my grandfather was an engineering draftsman in the 20s and 30s...how did you know? )
20201001_090133.jpg

This setting looks very nice, chipped diamond or not, I would certainly wear this design. I love the tabbed corners.

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock

Who did you have recut your stone? And we're they able to recut it in an old style or only MRB? Thank you!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who did you have recut your stone? And we're they able to recut it in an old style or only MRB? Thank you!

Mine was recut but BGD and my stone originally wasn’t an OEC. I had read that Southwest Diamond cutters would do different shapes, maybe worth the call? DK had also facilitated an OEC recuts sometime ago, maybe ask him as well?

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Update: My chipped stone is with Southwest Diamond Cutters. For $150, they'll fix it to stabilize it while maintaining the old cut. They estimated that it will go from 0.61 to about 0.50, and that's bang on what I expected.

In the interim, I did find another stone worthy of being the center in my 3 stone. After repair, the TCW should end up right around 1.65: 20201017_133503.jpg

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Repaired stone arrives tomorrow! When I spoke with the SDC lady yesterday, she said that the stone turned out beautifully (and she was busily cleaning things and getting cleaning rouge on her face while she talked to me :lol:). So excited!!

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
I can’t wait to see it!
I have a stone to send them in the new year and I’ve heard such great things about them.

I spoke to the owner (Ashley) when I started this whole process and told him that SDC came highly recommended in PS, so I trusted that they could fix my stone. Their reputation is their business and he seemed a bit taken aback (but pleased) by how I had decided to entrust my stone to them. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I spoke to the owner (Ashley) when I started this whole process and told him that SDC came highly recommended in PS, so I trusted that they could fix my stone. Their reputation is their business and he seemed a bit taken aback (but pleased) by how I had decided to entrust my stone to them. :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

im so excitted :appl: :appl: :appl:
ogling bling is great but these are the kind of threads i love the best

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Holy cow they knocked it out of the park!! Of course today is grey and gross and I can't get good photos, but hopefully this gives you an idea. Final weight was exactly half a carat and a flowery sparkle bomb. Compare the poor chipped baby to the result (stones are in the same position in each photo...will try to get better photos when the sun returns) 20201127_094608.jpg 20201127_094408.jpg 20201127_094335.jpg

CindyZ

Rough_Rock
Wow! Was not expecting that result! Contrats! $150 well spent. Excited to see how you end up using them! So it sounds like SDS gets a thumbs up?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a success story!! They did an amazing job on your stone :love: The video says it all!!

Congratulations!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results