shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel prices - 2019 edition

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @T L , I inquired and they already replied. It makes the 7 ct. Mahenge spinel posted by @TreeScientist look cheap - total price that is, not per carat :shock:

In another life maybe :D

Yavorskyy has an eye for color for sure, especially in spinels. He pretty much singlehandedly brought spinels back to prominence in the gemstone market.

As a much cheaper option, you can buy one of his books and stare at the beautiful photographs. :mrgreen:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Yavorskyy has an eye for color for sure, especially in spinels. He pretty much singlehandedly brought spinels back to prominence in the gemstone market.

As a much cheaper option, you can buy one of his books and stare at the beautiful photographs. :mrgreen:

Buying his book will only make me want to buy them more :geek2: it already happened with Richard Hughes’ book!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @T L , I inquired and they already replied. It makes the 7 ct. Mahenge spinel posted by @TreeScientist look cheap - total price that is, not per carat :shock:

In another life maybe :D
:shock: Wow! Well, it is gorgeous color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically the same price as the 7ct. spinel, 55k
Wait, I have to find my jaw, it fell on the ground somewhere. $55k for a overly deep cut 1 46 carat stone.

I’m literally speechless.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if this is for sale, although you probably need to be Jeff Bezos to afford it. It’s a pinkish red.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwgpG5OI5Aq/?igshid=1ld1tq6g0limf

OMG I think that's the same spinel I was offered wholesale a couple of years ago, I was about to ask is it Mahenge original deposit, but I went back and read his post, and it is.... I couldn't afford it back then (when Mahenge just started becoming popular) and I'm sure it's probably three or 4+ times the price and I can't afford it now..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I think that's the same spinel I was offered wholesale a couple of years ago, I was about to ask is it Mahenge original deposit, but I went back and read his post, and it is.... I couldn't afford it back then (when Mahenge just started becoming popular) and I'm sure it's probably three or 4+ times the price and I can't afford it now..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Could we know the wholesale price you were offered some years ago? :mrgreen2:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I am torn between the stone from Gary and thenone from Vlad

Gary - https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p287/1.59_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html# love the brilliance but I am worried that the pink/purple modifiers is too strong. Gary told me it looks very red so perhaps it is the pictures with the gray background that make the pink come out more. Price is also quite acceptable I think.

Vlad- https://yavorskyy.com/products/red-spinel-1-50-cts probably more red but also double-ish the price and I think somehow less brilliance.

What do you think?

vik84

Rough_Rock
My suggestion if you want to get your stone at a lower price is to try to find the spinel in one of the gem shows like Tuscon, Hong Kong etc. (Vegas next week) through a dealer. Alternately, try to get closer to the origin by negotiating with dealers in Sri Lanka or Bangkok. Anything in the US has already had one more middleman and will come with a price premium - totally justified btw since these stones were probably recut by a master cutter to optimize for color/brilliancy vs weight.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am torn between the stone from Gary and thenone from Vlad

Gary - https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p287/1.59_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html# love the brilliance but I am worried that the pink/purple modifiers is too strong. Gary told me it looks very red so perhaps it is the pictures with the gray background that make the pink come out more. Price is also quite acceptable I think.

Vlad- https://yavorskyy.com/products/red-spinel-1-50-cts probably more red but also double-ish the price and I think somehow less brilliance.

What do you think?
Vlad’s stone is an orangey red, but I like the cut on it better, it has a nicer spread I think, and it’s all about color, the GRS called it “vivid red.” Gary’s stone looks less saturated to me and more of a purple or reddish pink, but it’s probably a decent buy if you’re considering the two. It would be nice if it also had a report with color quality. Both are nice stones, tough decision. Another thing to consider is which has stronger fluorescence. Some red spinels glow in the dimmest of outdoor light due to strong Fluor. Shining a UV light on a stone doesn’t always indicate super strong fluorescence.

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
What you are looking for looks like;

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/667...lee&ref=sr_gallery-1-8&organic_search_click=1

However, the Burmese guys explained it to me like this, you are never going to get really super duper hot pink melee stones that are round, tiny cushions maybe but when you cut a round in Jedi or anything neon unless you get someone like Richard Holmer that can concave cut rounds and any shape that is flat always appear less saturated than say cushions ovals and various other cuts. Deeper stones show far more depth of colour. For that reason they rarely cut larger stones in the neon material in rounds and the tiny melee are never as bright (from the same material) as the larger stone that might have been cut as say a cushion or something else.

Don't get me wrong you can still find stones that are small and nice the more saturated stuff just tends to be other shapes not rounds......that is the advice from the dealers and cutters and also my personal observation as well.

Thanks for this, really good info. I'm open to cushion or other not-round-shape if it means more color pay off. I know you will get some dilution due to the reduction of size/material, I just want as much as possible within within the realm of physics.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Gary had several of those spinels and I bought one (not the one you are looking at -- I think it was https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p283/1.05_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html) -- it was more red (and darker/deeper-toned) than the pictures showed, and less pink. I ended up returning it because I was actually looking for something a little more pink! So if I were you and considering it I'd check it out. He's a great guy and returns were very easy which is good because I think I still haven't quite figured out his pictures.

People with red spinels -- have you been able to take pictures of them? I have found that I often can't really figure out what they look like from vendor photos, and when I try to take photos mine don't look at all what it looks like in real life. Whereas my sapphires sometimes look a little more glamorous (more blue) but generally look pretty much like what my eye sees.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Gary had several of those spinels and I bought one (not the one you are looking at -- I think it was https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p283/1.05_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html) -- it was more red (and darker/deeper-toned) than the pictures showed, and less pink. I ended up returning it because I was actually looking for something a little more pink! So if I were you and considering it I'd check it out. He's a great guy and returns were very easy which is good because I think I still haven't quite figured out his pictures.

People with red spinels -- have you been able to take pictures of them? I have found that I often can't really figure out what they look like from vendor photos, and when I try to take photos mine don't look at all what it looks like in real life. Whereas my sapphires sometimes look a little more glamorous (more blue) but generally look pretty much like what my eye sees.

Thank you @deorwine , this is extremely helpful information. Gary sent me a video which also included the spinel you linked - and it looked too pink for me lol. So I suppose the one I am considering is really more red than the picture shows!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I usually don’t have a problem with photographing red spinels. Green gems, yes. Do yours fluoresce? Sometimes it helps if you take it outside for a sunlight shot.

Thanks for this, really good info. I'm open to cushion or other not-round-shape if it means more color pay off. I know you will get some dilution due to the reduction of size/material, I just want as much as possible within within the realm of physics.
Some small stones are incredibly saturated.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so glad I found this thread. I too am obsessed with Jedi Spinels, but am fearful of trying to get a true pink red (no orange) Jedi that seem to glow with an inner light (or force if you will).

My question to any who many know, where or who would I inquire about a Jedi Spinel melee? 3mm range? I've seen smaller stones that are washed out which I want to avoid. I know there are beautifully saturated melees out there...some where.
The vendor @arkieb1 mentioned just got some larger melee sizes in her shop. She has some beautiful pink-red spinel in the 2.5 mm size. I'm highly tempted to get some. They would look amazing in an eternity ring!
il_794xN.1863574192_d9jf.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've purchased stones from Vlad they are VERY similar to his photos colourwise IRL....

@ deorwine - My current Iphone has a lot of trouble taking decent and realistic photos of reds - rubies and spinels. It really loves blues but reds always appear duller and less saturated than they really are.

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could we know the wholesale price you were offered some years ago? :mrgreen2:

If it's the same stone which was a decent sized one it was $35 000 wholesale from a guy who is the son of "THE" Mahenge dealer in Africa and it came out of their own collection..... I'd guess retail it is now double or more the price they were asking, because the Govt there has closed the mines and is probably going to sell them off to the highest bidder meaning the prices will go up even more.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's the same stone which was a decent sized one it was $35 000 wholesale from a guy who is the son of "THE" Mahenge dealer in Africa and it came out of their own collection..... I'd guess retail it is now double or more the price they were asking, because the Govt there has closed the mines and is probably going to sell them off to the highest bidder meaning the prices will go up even more.
That’s the price of a decent 5 carat stone these days.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
4AFD919E-5C7B-4457-8FD3-40F7091B8261.png
Am I the only one who sees a window here?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4AFD919E-5C7B-4457-8FD3-40F7091B8261.png
Am I the only one who sees a window here?

Yes, it has a large window. You'll find a lot of red spinels are purposely cut with windows to "lighten" the tone of overly-dark stones, which is sadly the case with many of the pure red spinels.

Is this from GemLand?

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it has a large window. You'll find a lot of red spinels are purposely cut with windows to "lighten" the tone of overly-dark stones, which is sadly the case with many of the pure red spinels.

Is this from GemLand?
It is the stone you linked me (1.14 ct.). From other pictures is has a nice color and the vendor assured me it is a pure red. He also said it does not fluo in daylight (only under UV lamp) and it does not have a window. I don’t know, I honestly think I could read my newspaper through that gem :(

I little too pricey at 2.3k I’m afraid, would you agree?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is the stone you linked me (1.14 ct.). From other pictures is has a nice color and the vendor assured me it is a pure red. He also said it does not fluo in daylight (only under UV lamp) and it does not have a window. I don’t know, I honestly think I could read my newspaper through that gem :(I little too pricey at 2.3k I’m afraid, would you agree?

Wait, did I link that stone? I don't remember haha.

Um yes, definitely too pricey for that color and cut. The reason I said Gemland is because it looks very similar to a stone he has listed... for $1k at 2.56ct. And you can ask for 20% off from him... So definitely overpriced for that other one. If you're okay with a window, then this stone from GemLand would be more appropriately priced. But unfortunately, I'm afraid that both the stone you linked and this stone from GemLand would become overly-dark if you ever wanted to recut them to close the windows (which again, is most likely why they were cut with windows in the first place):
https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auctions/256cts-certified-red-spinel-from-burma-100-untreated-804728

Plus, I wouldn't trust a vendor that tells you that stone doesn't have a window. Seriously, are they blind? haha

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Wait, did I link that stone? I don't remember haha.

Um yes, definitely too pricey for that color and cut. The reason I said Gemland is because it looks very similar to a stone he has listed... for $1k at 2.56ct. And you can ask for 20% off from him... So definitely overpriced for that other one. If you're okay with a window, then this stone from GemLand would be more appropriately priced. But unfortunately, I'm afraid that both the stone you linked and this stone from GemLand would become overly-dark if you ever wanted to recut them to close the windows (which again, is most likely why they were cut with windows in the first place):
https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auctions/256cts-certified-red-spinel-from-burma-100-untreated-804728

Plus, I wouldn't trust a vendor that tells you that stone doesn't have a window. Seriously, are they blind? haha

My apologies, I confused the post from @vik84 - here is the original post for this spinel:

It's a 1.14 Mogok spinel, https://www.ebay.com/itm/NATURAL-UN...215882?hash=item2f1379daca:g:GJsAAOSwf15aVDQ2 , might be slightly smaller than what you're looking for. The dealer is flexible with return dates if you want to get it further certified, he's also a great guy to work with.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a horrible picture, in dim lighting, but yes that’s a window. However, it’s “pigeon blood red!!!” How can you pass on it!!? (notice my use of sarcasm here).

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Update - decided to go for Gary’s stone. Despite the GRS report stating vivid red on the other stone I believe this one to be nicer, we will see - I will post pictures if I keep it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results